• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4: Standby or Power down?

Riddler

Standby since it looks like it's designed for it. Love having everything ready with games updated and controller charged along with a quick boot up.

Also love the remote play.

Alvarez

Banned
Ignore the rest of the thread (all of the people saying "turn it off" and being completely wrong). The PS4 and Xbox One use PC architecture, meaning that they are meant to be left on or in standby mode. If you turn your PS4 and Xbox One off every time you finish using it, you will kill the hardware. The moving components such as the hard drive will age prematurely and you will also fuck up the power supply.

The PS3 and the XBOX 360 are built to be turned off and on over and over again, so these are consoles that you do NOT want to leave on all the time. Turning the PS3/360 off does not reduce its lifespan.

Crisco

Banned
Standby. I only shut it down completely once, just to change the power outlet it was plugged into. I can't imagine why you would ever shut it down otherwise, if for no other reason than you can no longer charge the controllers.

Ignore the rest of the thread (all of the people saying "turn it off" and being completely wrong). The PS4 and Xbox One use PC architecture, meaning that they are meant to be left on or in standby mode. If you turn your PS4 and Xbox One off every time you finish using it, you will kill the hardware. The moving components such as the hard drive will age prematurely and you will also fuck up the power supply.

The PS3 and the XBOX 360 are built to be turned off and on over and over again, so these are consoles that you do NOT want to leave on all the time. Turning the PS3/360 off does not reduce its lifespan.

Oh... this one is good...

jcm

10W is a light bulb's worth of power. I think it's pretty acceptable.

Well, it's much higher than average for everything but cable boxes, according to this chart from Energy Star. And cable boxes are notoriously inefficient. For comparison, a 27" imac uses 1W when sleeping with WOL enabled.

Individually, 10W is no big deal, but Sony is going to sell 15M of these things a year. In aggregate, that's 150 megawatts of continuous load.

Oppo

Well, it's much higher than everything but cable boxes, according to this chart from Energy Star. And cable boxes are notoriously inefficient. For comparison, a 27" imac uses 1W when sleeping with WOL enabled.

Individually, 10W is no big deal, but Sony is going to sell 15M of these things a year. In aggregate, that's 150 megawatts of continuous load.

Agreed – although an iMac can't actually do anything while it's asleep. I think 10W is a pretty good compromise to have the downloading/installing part "alive".

I mean, they saved a lot of power by NOT including folding@home this time, think of the juice that thing ate... ;)

I boot up and shut down my PC every single day.

I will do the same with my PS4.

I never leave electronics running when I'm not using them and I've never had any problems.

You really won't have any issues unless you are constantly turning them on and off throughout the day. I tend to only play at night, so my PC/consoles turn on around 8pm and turn off around 12AM and they stay off until the next night.

gruenel

What a load of BS.

dcx4610

Yes. The fan stays on 24/7 if you put it in stand by mode. The same thing happens on the PS3.

I've built enough computers and had enough case fans over the years to know how quickly they wear out staying on 24 hours. Unlike a PC, I can't easily get in and swap out the fan if the bearings start going out on it.

I'm going with full power off for now at least.

Well, considering the fact that pressing the power button on the console itself puts it in standby mode rather than shutting it off completely, I think standby is the way Sony designed it.

Oh, and to those claiming the fan runs in standby...it does, for about 20 seconds, and then it turns off.

jcm

Agreed – although an iMac can't actually do anything while it's asleep. I think 10W is a pretty good compromise to have the downloading/installing part "alive".

I mean, they saved a lot of power by NOT including folding@home this time, think of the juice that thing ate... ;)

I don't think the 10W gets you downloading. As far as I can tell, it's 10W to effectively sleep with WOL enabled. If it needs to do a download or install it crank up to 70W.

I could be wrong, though. I haven't actually measured anything myself.

Melter

what a load of bs

gruenel

Yes. The fan stays on 24/7 if you put it in stand by mode. The same thing happens on the PS3.

My PS3 fan definitely doesn't stay on when in standby.

Why the hell would you want to actively cool the PS3 when it uses ~0.5W in standby anyway?

Am I going insane, GAF?

Oh, and to those claiming the fan runs in standby...it does, for about 20 seconds, and then it turns off.

That makes sense, thanks.

I've built enough computers and had enough case fans over the years to know how quickly they wear out staying on 24 hours. Unlike a PC, I can't easily get in and swap out the fan if the bearings start going out on it.

The fan does not stay on, unless, I presume, the console is downloading something. If your fan is running 24/7 in standby then something is wrong.

dcx4610

Why the hell would you want to actively cool the PS3 when it uses ~0.5W in standby anyway?

Am I going insane, GAF?

That makes sense, thanks.

The fan stays on. Enable remote play and then power down your system. The fan stays on, albeit in a lower state to keep the CPU cool since it's sitting and waiting for remote play.

Same thing with the PS4. Put your ear to both with them in standby, you'll hear it.

Am I going insane, GAF?

I think he's talking about the standby mode the PS3 goes into when you enable wake on LAN for Remote Play. That definitely did have the fan going at its lowest speed all the time.

Edit: Beaten!

On my system the fan only stays on for a short period after playing games (maybe 5-10minutes) then after the system cools off, it seems to shutdown the fan completely...or at least reduces it to a speed that is not audible even when I'm standing over the thing and I cant feel any airflow coming out of the back of the system.

gruenel

The fan stays on. Enable remote play and then power down your system. The fan stays on, albeit in a lower state to keep the CPU cool since it's sitting and waiting for remote play.

Same thing with the PS4. Put your ear to both with them in standby, you'll hear it.

I think he's talking about the standby mode the PS3 goes into when you enable wake on LAN for Remote Play. That definitely did have the fan going at its lowest speed all the time.

Edit: Beaten!

My bad then, I don't use remote play on my PS3 due to lack of supported games.

EU citizen so unfortunately I can't put my ear on the PS4 yet either ;)

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
No... the fan does not stay on always after Stand By. It stays on for about a minute (cool down) then shuts off. Mine is always in Stand By mode and haven't had an issue.

Also, I am a 24h PC on guy too. Like to always have it ready when I sit in front of it.

AndyD

aka andydumi
So does the PS4 no longer have a standby in the sense that it is nearly off and the controller brings it back on, and at certain times it comes on to check for downloads? The new standby is always available for downloads if you enable the internet connection option?

elty

Standby - if I know I will play again in an hour
Powerdown - all other situation

I just think power down is safer if power goes out unexpectedly

dcx4610

No... the fan does not stay on always after Stand By. It stays on for about a minute (cool down) then shuts off. Mine is always in Stand By mode and haven't had an issue.

Also, I am a 24h PC on guy too. Like to always have it ready when I sit in front of it.

I'll check it tonight. I only tried standby once and the fan stayed on after putting into standby just like the PS3. I don't see why the PS4 would be any different.

I'll leave it in standby for 30+ minutes and check it.

dcx4610

Your PS3 is broken.

No, completely normal. I think people are confusing standby with seeing the little red light on their PS3.

If the PS3 has the power cable connected, you will see a red light on your system. This is NOT standby. The system is completely powered off and there will be no fan.

If you enable Remote Play for the PSP/Vita, the system will then be in standby mode. You will still see a red light on the PS3 but the system fan will now run 24/7 at low RPMs to keep the CPU cool (which is also running in a low wattage state).

If you enable remote play on the PS4, I see no reason why the fan wouldn't run 24/7 as well since it has to keep the hardware running in a low power state. I'll test it tonight.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
This is somewhat confusing, since the only option to turn off the PS3 put it in standby mode. With the PS4 they give you two options, and the 'turn off' option on it essentially feels like the shut down option on the PS3 but you lose all functionality. The orange light is enough to make me want to shut it down, along with the fact that both options coming back on seem to take the exact same amount of time.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
does the PS4 still wake up during the night if you power it down? I hope it does. Some people will want to shut it down rather than use standby, and turning on at 1am to check for updates and upload saves seems reasonable even if shut down (like PS3)

I would leave mine in standby mode, but what happens if the power goes out?
I had mine in standby mode yesterday, and we had some bad storms come through the area, causing a few brief outages. When I checked it later, the lights on the system were off completely, and when I turned it back on, it said it was shut down improperly. I'm assuming that was due to the power being cut to the system while it was in standby mode.

noomi

Off for me mostly, if I know i will use it the same day or want to remote play I will leave it in standby. Just depends on what I'm doing that day.

Top Bottom