• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4: Standby or Power down?

jcm

Is it always 10W or only when downloading/updating stuff? 'Cause I could swear I read 0.5W somewhere.

I don't know. I'm just going by the numbers Ars posted. I find them disappointing. Not just the standby, but I was hoping they'd get into a low power mode for apps, and idling, too. 93W for idle or Netflix playback is silly.

Darksol

Standby. Love it. Went to bed, woke up with two freshly charged controllers, and Contrast and Warframe had finished downloading and installing by itself.

Steel

Banned
Standby. Unless there's a bright annoying light on it as I sleep in the same room the biggest TV in my place is....

Dezzy

My only worry about standby mode, is that just when something is installing overnight, a power outage corrupts it or something and ruins the HDD or system. I know, way too paranoid.

Isocr4cy

I asked this in the launch thread but it got overlooked: Is the fan supposed to be running in standby mode? Quite loud as well. Not sure if that's because I'm downloading games or if its just the norm.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
10W isn't really very little. Should be 1W or less.
Yeah, it's kind of a bummer. It may vary based on your area, but that will definitely add a couple of bucks to your electric bill.

DBT85

I asked this in the launch thread but it got overlooked: Is the fan supposed to be running in standby mode? Quite loud as well. Not sure if that's because I'm downloading games or if its just the norm.

Has it been in that "low power state" long?

It might still be blowing because the system is still hot from playing. Heatsoak is a nasty bugger.

I wouldn't have thought the fan would need to be blowing at all to dissipate 10w though. at most a level so low it shouldn't be heard.

At 10 watts for standby? Power down no question about it. I was considering excluding the PS4 from my smart outlet (which cuts power to all my consoles/AV devices when the tv is off) if the standby wattage was low (like maybe a few watts), but not anymore.

doemaaan

I don't own a PS4 yet, but I only use standby when I'm coming back to my laptop after a short while. Other than that, of course I turn the thing off.

J-Rod

Im scared it will overheat in standby mode

I don't think that's even possible. Not enough electricity flowing to do it no matter how long you leave it.

I think it is worth noting that just about every piece of electronics go into standby. TV, microwave, DVD player, cable box, etc.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Wait, what's the difference between this and suspend mode?

Is Standby like PS3?
No. Standby is getting into the system quickly (5 seconds or so in my rest). Suspend is when you come out of standby you are right back in the game/app exactly as you left it. Like it was just paused the whole time.

Isocr4cy

Has it been in that "low power state" long?

It might still be blowing because the system is still hot from playing. Heatsoak is a nasty bugger.

I wouldn't have thought the fan would need to be blowing at all to dissipate 10w though. at most a level so low it shouldn't be heard.
Most ive left it for was about 10min. Gonna wait till all downloads complete before messing with it more.

I'm keeping mine in standby unless I'm going on vacation, in which case I unplug everything from the wall.

I don't anticipate any negatives from standby except a slightly higher power bill. There were a few Wiis that were supposedly damaged from using it's standby mode but I think that's the exception, not the rule.

CF22

I'm turning mine off for now just in case there's any launch issues. Takes a little longer but it'll be safe.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Standby seems fine but my machine has an orange glow light on standby which will get obnoxious under the TV.

eoa-swam

I'll be turning that PS4 off when not using it. The energy bills are high enough in the U.K, and I don't want to give EDF anymore cash than I need to.

I'll have to suffer through the 30 second boot up time.

dcx4610

I'm going full power off. With standby, the fan is going 24/7. I just don't have enough faith in launch hardware to be reliable enough with that kind of wear and tear.

The Xbone on the other hand, was designed to run 24/7 so I have a little my faith that the fans were built to last longer.

I'm going full power off. With standby, the fan is going 24/7. I just don't have enough faith in launch hardware to be reliable enough with that kind of wear and tear.

The Xbone on the other hand, was designed to run 24/7 so I have a little my faith that the fans were built to last longer.

Xbox one was designed for 24/7 and the PS4 was not? How did you reach such conclusion?

Oppo

^^ nice logic dcx4610 ;)

It is true that leaving devices powered on, or at least with some juice running through them, promotes longevity. The heat expansion/contraction from startup + shutdown is a big part of why computers die.

Zoator

And the PS4 wasn't? The fact that standby mode exists and Sony is recommending to put it into standby mode vs. powering it off suggests that it was designed to be running 24/7 just as much as the Xbone was.

Huh? I don't hear a thing coming out of my PS4 on standby. Might have to put my ear closer after I get home from work today.

^^ nice logic dcx4610 ;)

It is true that leaving devices powered on, or at least with some juice running through them, promotes longevity. The heat expansion/contraction from startup + shutdown is a big part of why computers die.

Mind blown. I didn't know that.

emb

I've been turning it all the way off, unless I specifically need to charge my controller, or I know I'll be back in a few minutes.

Eh? The fan doesn't switch off when you put PS4 in to standby? What is this?

It's bad enough that you can't go in to standby during gameplay (at launch at least), but I would at least expect standby to work how it does on my PC (ie fans switch off). I'm so disappointed about all this after how they described it back at the reveal.

Zoator

^^ nice logic dcx4610 ;)

This is true in general, but doesn't really apply to the PS4's case, since the APU and the custom chip are physically separated on the motherboard. The APU and system memory will still undergo thermal expansion and contraction regardless of whether you use standby or power down.

Apoc87

Banned
I'm afraid of leaving it in standby mode because if a power surge happens, thats the same as "removing the AC plug".

.GqueB.

Banned
Since we're on the subject, how much power does the PS4 use when using something like netflix? Is it lower since there's less horsepower needed?

I'm asking because I definitely prefer the netflix interface on the PS4 vs the Roku but the Roku uses such low power overall and I'm wondering if it's worth it. I live alone so I've become more mindful of power consumption. I came home the other day and realized that I left my bathroom light on and almost flipped.

Srs.

RulkezX

What's the difference ?

When you say stand by to me I think

* plugged in at wall , not turned on. Eg the state my PC or PS3 is in when shutdown*

But you guys seem to be describing

* turned off at wall
* PC style sleep mode

Trigonx

Stand by mode, I love remote-play on my vita and it needs the ps4 to be in stand by to turn the ps4 on from the vita

Top Bottom