• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4: Standby or Power down?

Reule

Stand down.

I power down all the time. If I feel like I'm going to play fairly soon, then I'll probably put it in standby. I'm glad the Dualshock 4 can still wake it up from it's slumber when it's completely powered down.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Standby when I'm home/running errands and not playing it, completely off at night when I go to bed & go to work.

Bingo. That's the way it should be. Always on stand by for remote play as well.

Or if I traveled and wanted PS4 access I would leave it on stand by so I can access it anywhere in the world.

Rizzilio

Neo Member
I use standby since i'm not too concerned about the consumption, although I hope they can get something software related that would drop the consumption at least when downloading updates/games.

Just to clear things up, at least for my PS4 when I'm in standby and there is a download going on the wattage is around 73 watts (this also gets you the quick 3-4 second boot time). when it's not downloading anything it drops to 22 watts for me (this gets you the longer 20-25 second boot time). I have yet to see my PS4 drop to anything close to 10 watt levels since measuring with my wattage meter.

todd360

Thanks for clearing up the watts used in standby guys. I will keep it in standby more now that I know it's not 70 watts.

tensuke

Standby, so I can remote play into it if I want. It's soo good to just hop into bed and continue playing, then I can turn it off/put it back into standby without having to get up when I'm done.

Felsparrow

Neo Member
And just to reiterate, because one guy's crappy post ruined it for most people it seems:

PS4 standby power is 10W.

Ars' original article was incorrect and the fixed it.

As for the OP's question. Standby once a week, but off most other times.

Briarios

Power down ... Trust me, power down.

On Sunday morning, I was woken by an explosion - I'm guessing a squirrel messed with a transformer down the street and we lost power for just a moment. I heard weird noises from the PS4 as the power came back on. I couldn't start it back up at first, when it did come back up, there was a warning screen that the system was shut down improperly and corruption may have occurred.

So, unless your system has a battery back-up, you may want to consider powering off when not using for an extended period. Why take a chance?

HankToms

Power down ... Trust me, power down.

On Sunday morning, I was woken by an explosion - I'm guessing a squirrel messed with a transformer down the street and we lost power for just a moment. I heard weird noises from the PS4 as the power came back on. I couldn't start it back up at first, when it did come back up, there was a warning screen that the system was shut down improperly and corruption may have occurred.

So, unless your system has a battery back-up, you may want to consider powering off when not using for an extended period. Why take a chance?

I also have concern over this, as it happened this past weekend for me. Power must have went off during the night, and when I turned the PS4 on, it gave a notice that it was shutdown improperly.

AndyD

aka andydumi
This is somewhat confusing, since the only option to turn off the PS3 put it in standby mode. With the PS4 they give you two options, and the 'turn off' option on it essentially feels like the shut down option on the PS3 but you lose all functionality. The orange light is enough to make me want to shut it down, along with the fact that both options coming back on seem to take the exact same amount of time.

Yea, I am going to have to agree with this for now. I will do more exploring in the settings on whether we can change the orange light, and how exactly the system can be turned on once "off" vs. "standby" and decide. But I don't have a vita so I don't see much of a point in standby for it.

AustinFelix

Unconfirmed Member
Still, 10W on standby is better than whatever we use today while downloading/installing things in full power mode? Imagine the cost of that?

nynt9

Can we suspend, go to standby, then come back later, power back on and resume? I can't seem to find a clear answer on whether this works at launch or not.

fade_

Can we suspend, go to standby, then come back later, power back on and resume? I can't seem to find a clear answer on whether this works at launch or not.

I don't think so, I think they said that feature was coming in a later firmware update.

see5harp

Has anyone timed the boot up time to login from completely off? I timed from Standby and it was around 24-25 seconds. It certainly wasn't 5 seconds like someone said earlier.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Now this is a quandary.

No issues with our power last night. Attempted to remote play this AM to check my killzone download. Lo and behold, both of our PS4's were entirely shut down. We generally leave them in standby mode. Turned them both on, and they went through a system storage check before restarting into the OS. No warnings about improper shutdown or anything. Again, this happened to BOTH our units. Simultaneously. Checked the error codes, but there were none. Any thoughts?

It may be a power semi-outage like a brownout. Where clocks and things stay on, but some standby devices go off. This happened to us last night, as the PC went to full off from standby as well as the PS4, while the clocks worked fine, so it was not a real power outage that would reset them.

dubq

I've used both so far. Standby when I know I am going to be using the system remotely. Power off when I'm away and definitely not going to be using it. Like, today, I know I'm going to be too busy at work to even take a lunch break and remote play with my Vita, so I powered it off. Otherwise I would've been stand-by'ing that bad boy and rocking some Killzone today. =\

Now this is a quandary.

No issues with our power last night. Attempted to remote play this AM to check my killzone download. Lo and behold, both of our PS4's were entirely shut down. We generally leave them in standby mode. Turned them both on, and they went through a system storage check before restarting into the OS. No warnings about improper shutdown or anything. Again, this happened to BOTH our units. Simultaneously. Checked the error codes, but there were none. Any thoughts?

Do you have any auto power down settings turned on in System Settings? This shouldn't happen with Stand by, but that's all I can think of..

Allforce

The benefit to standby became really clear over the last 3 nights, basically every game you've ever installed or even put into the system gets updated. All the f2p games like Blacklight and Warframe were up to date on Saturday without me doing anything but clicking the download button and then putting the console in standby on Friday night.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Now this is a quandary.

When my Killzone day-one-patched, it powered down the PS4. I had to turn it back on with the controller to complete the process. Maybe that happened?

satori

Now this is a quandary.

You sure the power did not get interrupted during the night? That is the most logical explanation. When half of my house circuit triped due to my wife using too much out of a socket, my ps4 went straight into os checking mode too. No message about improper shut down.

Smokey

I can't remember the last time I actually flipped the power switch off on my 60gb ps3. Will probably do the same and leave ps4 in standby.

AngryBird

Banned
Standby since it looks like it's designed for it. Love having everything ready with games updated and controller charged along with a quick boot up.

Also love the remote play.

This is it.

It's designed that way, it's a feature of PS4.

important features of PS4 revolve around standby.
It's not going to hurt your PS4!

You should be worried about power bill, than the life of PS4.

Tsundere

Banned
Now this is a quandary.

Sounds like power may have "tripped" for a short while, un-noticeable to you most likely but enough to cut power to the PS4s.

I hadn't touched my PS4 since putting it on standby last night but was able to remote play on the bus.

Ovid

Off.

I don't need an artificial sun pulsating in my room when I'm trying to sleep. I have enough electronic fireflys in my room as it is.

Addy

Neo Member
Testing with my Kill A Watt

Stanby is 8W, 69W while downloading

Fresh boot into home screen I saw 88W
PS Store 84W
Resogun 124-133W
Pause game, home screen with Resogun in background 142W

This is all with the Playstation camera plugged in

Strider

It may have been answered and sorry if it has but... When the PS3 was off It would still wake up during the night to download updates, etc. Does the PS4 still do this or does it have to be in standby?

I've been putting it in standby but if I can still download the updates when I turn it off like on the PS3 I'll start turning it off instead.

Codeblew

SEVENTY on standby? WTF! And do you need standby for the PS3 PLUS-like features (auto download of firmware and such)?

Maybe that goes down if you turn off USB charging in standby mode via the options. I did that since I bought the charge kit.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Now this is a quandary.

our power is usually pretty good, but if I had these issues I'd plug the PS4 into my UPS - 10W in standby would be fine to at least cover brownouts.

Do you hold the button in to fully power down? Everytime I touch the power button it goes straight into standby mode.

Hold the PS button on the controller and it will give the option to go into standby mode or power down. I think I'm going to power down on weekdays and keep it in standby on weekends. Something about leaving it in standby mode all the time has me worried. It will probably be more useful later on in the gen when everyone's games libraries are more substantial.

Valonquar

My main concern with standby mode, is that it gives warnings about not losing power when in standby. So... is there a chance of bricking if it's in standby, and there's a power outage in your area?

molnizzle

It may have been answered and sorry if it has but... When the PS3 was off It would still wake up during the night to download updates, etc. Does the PS4 still do this or does it have to be in standby?

I've been putting it in standby but if I can still download the updates when I turn it off like on the PS3 I'll start turning it off instead.

Your PS3 wasn't off, it was actually in stand-by. Sony didn't give you the option to fully shut down on PS3 unless you pulled the power cord (or had an old fat model with the switch on the back).

I sometimes go days and even weeks without having the time to game, and I typically won't be using remote play any farther than my couch while uh wife watches TV, so I'm powering down most of the time. If I know I'll be coming back later or using RP away from home I will give standby a go.

I also keep my consoles in a media center - so the space is enclosed on five of six sides of a cube. The space has gotten a little toasty while at full power (playing KZ) and I'm worried even a little heat will build up in there over time in standby.

No matter the amount of electricity needed, always off when i don't use it. There are probably tons and tons of radioactive waste produced by having everything on standby all the time.

see5harp

The PS3 was either on, or off (standby) as far as I know.

The PS4 can either be off, standby, standby while downloading (really more of a lowish-power mode more than anything, or on.

Yea I'm beginning to realize that standby with downloading is essentially fully on aside from the video out (probably). Because a couple people are mentioning that standby is only taking 5 seconds to boot. That's much shorter than what I've been getting, which still seems quick but is closer to 24 seconds.

I think they'll be able to bring down standby's wattage when Suspend/Resume is added. I assume when that feature comes, they can reside everything on RAM and power everything else off.

I'd like to keep standby on, but worry about power outages and what not. Would it be recommended to get a decent power battery backup for things like this. I have a pretty good surge protector on my stuff, but you never know.

FaintDeftone

I always turn mine off unless I'm downloading stuff or want to charge my controller with intentions to turn it back on within an hour's time or so.

Standby all day and every day. Except for yesterday and today, because my house is without power.

The background downloads and saved game uploads while in standby are too convenient to pass up. Also, as a proud Vita owner, I want to remote play whenever I want. And as if those two weren't good enough reasons, the PS4 glows orange when it is in standby. That's my favorite color in the whole world and it's like Sony picked that just to please me. Oh, that Sony, never ceasing to please its fans!

Top Bottom