• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Teaser Video for E3

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
def gives vibe of this, which is only a good thing
sony-bdp-s4100.jpg

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
BDxY8My.png

Grip of the DS4? It's the last screen to appear and only for a split second, so possibly something more significant?

Ricky_R

To be honest I don't care much about how good/bad the console looks. I'm more concerned about how much it heats up and how well it ventilates.

The new slim is the only model that allows a person to access the lens without taking the console apart.

I have gone through more PS3's than I have fingers on one hand. Do you know what ALL the failures were? That's right, the lens went.

The new model - not slot loading, having an actual bay you can reach - is by FAR the best model. I can clean the lens on it, I cannot on any other model. There is also the issue of more mechanical parts with a slot loader, ie, more things to break, and more things to increase cost.

You know they make discs with little felt barbs embedded in them which you load into slot loading players and it cleans the lens... right?

My original PS3 is still working, 6 years later.

Man

Anyways, before hitting bed my final thoughts are:

Rounded 'vent' part is the bundled mono headset.
PSEye is also bundled.

nib95

Banned
If it ends up being an angular looking slick modern box, I will splurge. If you guys remember, all the designs I linked to as my ideal styles for it to mimic were of a similar cut.

I think that's part of the DS4.

I think it wraps around in a curve on one end, and is flat on all other sides.

When standing vertically (on the side opposite to the curve), it'll look like a square from the side, but with a curve away on the top side. From the front it will look like a thin (ish?) rectangle with a semi-circle on top.

Yep. I guess they could curve the bottom side if they have some weird stand like the Wii U.

I can't make out the blur but it looks like it's a bit wider at the base?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The touchpad on the controller wraps around the top in a curve. Maybe that's an echo of a wrap-around curve on the box itself too.

Jb

Oh man this remindedd me that we are totally going to see what the Durango looks like tomorrow :D I'm hoping for some slick, elegant, simple design, which also seems to be what the PS4 is going for.

Vashetti

Banned
Not showing the box in February was a really smart move. Now they have something to counter the Xbox hype and dammit, it's working beautifully...

It almost seems like they held it back purposefully so they could drop it whenever Microsoft unveil their console.

BibiMaghoo

You know they make discs with little felt barbs embedded in them which you load into slot loading players and it cleans the lens... right?

My original PS3 is still working, 6 years later.

Yes, I have tried them, they do not work on a PS3. You are a lucky guy if so. Many people are lucky. I am not.

Either way, the highest failure on PS3 consoles was the Bluray lens. The new model allows anyone to access that without breaking the warranty. Surely you can see the huge benefit of that, even if you prefer the asthetics of the previous model?

I hate the grill slats on the new one, but being able to reach that lens for someone like me is worth a thousand ugly grill slats.

Edit: Just for context, my launch PS3 was replaced by Sony 3 times in 14 months. Each time the lens was at fault.

Top Bottom