• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 UI 16 minute video

Facism

I just want a UI that's completely customisable so i can literally just have my game library on view, nothing else. Have friends, store, whatever hidden behind a button press.

does anyone have another link for the video? The one on the OP has gone private and i can't access it :(

Wrong place, wrong side

what does this mean?

I don't think the ones in the pins section are, the 3 on the side of the homepage definitely are.

They look like ads to me, the homecreen picture above even has the same Rihanna tile. Maybe not though, until the console releases we know eveything about it. I just base my judgement off what we've seen regarding ad integration this generation on the 360 and what I've seen of the XBO UI.

Mikey Jr.

If Sony doesn't want this out there, how about they get off their fat asses and finally do their own ui video. I mean, we are a month away for god sakes.

Special C

I kinda like the PS4 UI, actually maybe a little more than the X1 in terms of presentation.

But if they don't have Snap or if the PS4 camera voice doesn't work as well as Kinect then the Xbox One OS wins by default.

SPDIF

I kinda like the PS4 UI, actually maybe a little more than the X1 in terms of presentation.

But if they don't have Snap or if the PS4 camera voice doesn't work as well as Kinect then the Xbox One OS wins by default.

Well we know that they don't. I'm pretty sure it's not something that can easily be added with an update either, but we'll see. Highly doubtful though.

JaxJag

Banned
So why do ads annoy people so bad? If it's ads about content you might be interested in like other games, music, or tv, then what's the issue?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I don't think anybody is saying that the XBO UI doesn't have ads, but there are zero ads in that specific screenshot that was posted. Like I said above, it's a specific area for you to pin things that are relevant to you. I'm sure you could have it completely blank if you wanted, or just have it dedicated entirely to games.

That screenshot is from a dev kit version that isn't connected to live, so it makes sense that they wouldn't have implemented the ads yet.

So why do ads annoy people so bad? If it's ads about content you might be interested in like other games, music, or tv, then what's the issue?

Ad's are supposed to supplant payment. People pay a lot of money per year to use Xbox live. For it to be payment required, and put a lot of ad's directly in your face on the very first screen you see, some people feel it's a bit exploitative. Or at least taking advantage of the leverage it has.

Generally, when you pay for a service people expect that they won't have to support it with ads is well. It's a common gripe people have with Hulu+ as well.

Most people want to research entertainment media on their own terms at their preferred source rather than a biased corporation trying to sell them something.

It's doubly bad when it's a service you pay for. Especially in today's market, one of the biggest reasons people pay for a service is to remove ads. I usually won't pay for something solely to remove ads but its a determining factor when I decide to subscribe to something.

Nightfallfilms

Neo Member
That screenshot is from a dev kit version that isn't connected to live, so it makes sense that they wouldn't have implemented the ads yet.

Ad's are supposed to supplant payment. People pay a lot of money per year to use Xbox live. For it to be payment required, and put a lot of ad's directly in your face on the very first screen you see, some people feel it's a bit exploitative. Or at least taking advantage of the leverage it has.

Generally, when you pay for a service people expect that they won't have to support it with ads is well. It's a common gripe people have with Hulu+ as well.

Since when is less than $4.00 a month a lot of money? If someone cant afford that, then they don't need to be buying four and five hundred dollar game consoles to begin with.

If the ads give Sony and MS more money to improve their services then I am all for it.

SPDIF

You might have a point if the screenshot was from the home screen. But it's not, it's the "My Pins" section. You pin as little or as much as you want there so you're never more than a click or two away from the stuff you like. Like I said before, it's the exact same concept from Windows Phone/Windows 8, as you'd expect.

Now they may put ads all over the rest of the OS, but I would happily bet that they're not going to touch the "My Pins" section.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
You might have a point if the screenshot was from the home screen. But it's not, it's the "My Pins" section. You pin as little or as much as you want there so you're never more than a click or two away from the stuff you like. Like I said before, it's the exact same concept from Windows Phone/Windows 8, as you'd expect.

Now they may put ads all over the rest of the OS, but I would happily bet that they're not going to touch the "My Pins" section.

I think the issue a lot of people have is that you're stating it as if it's fact but no one really knows for sure, and it wouldn't be totally out of left field if the section did have ads on it.

You don't know that for sure, I don't know the contrary for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were ads. I'd be pleasantly surprised if there weren't.

Since when is less than $4.00 a month a lot of money? If someone cant afford that, then they don't need to be buying four and five hundred dollar game consoles to begin with.

If the ads give Sony and MS more money to improve their services then I am all for it.

It's not your place to decide how people should spend their money and how they should value the services they receive. You don't know what $4.00 a month* is to a person compared to the service they receive in return. You don't know what $400 is for the entertainment they receive in return.

For you $50 a year** + ads is worth it, for others it isn't.

*Actually $5 a month
**Actually $60 a year

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

Please don't tell people what is and what isn't a lot of money to them.

Calibus

They must have taken the video down, link says "Private Video" now. Damn should have watched it during my lunch.

EDIT: Beaten by Obama.

tokkun

False premise. The ads are almost never about stuff I am interested in.

If Sony or Microsoft analyzed the games I had played on my account and the ratings I had given them and used that information to promote similar indie or otherwise low-profile games to me, that might be a useful service. If they are promoting music, movies, or TV, that is useless to me since I have never bought that media on consoles and do not intend to do so. If they are promoting blockbusters like GTA5 or AC4, that is similarly useless, since I am already well aware of those games.

If you want an example of a company that does it right, look at Amazon. I rarely get pissed when they promote other products to me, because they usually do it in a useful way, like showing me alternatives to the product I'm currently looking at or products that are frequently purchased together with it.

Symbiotx

They look like ads to me, the homecreen picture above even has the same Rihanna tile. Maybe not though, until the console releases we know eveything about it. I just base my judgement off what we've seen regarding ad integration this generation on the 360 and what I've seen of the XBO UI.

There's no winning with some people. They will argue to no end that there's only one ad on the xbox 360 dashboard, when it looks like
new-dashboard.jpg

They argue that the rest are things they might want to see, and that they aren't ads because they're gaming related. They're still ads to me.

There's no winning with some people. They will argue to no end that there's only one ad on the xbox 360 dashboard, when it looks like
new-dashboard.jpg

They argue that the rest are things they might want to see, and that they aren't ads because they're gaming related. They're still ads to me.

They're still ads by the dictionary definition of advertisements.

How would you feel about Windows if every time you went to the start screen it was filled with ads? How about on an Adroid or iphone? What does it say about a company that creates a UI that prioritizes ad integration more then user-friendliness, customization, or sleekness and speed? That's what the Xbox UI does,and it's probably the only UI that gets away with it.

When you go you a site like Neogaf you accept unobtrusive banner ads, because it's a free site, and because they're, well, unobtrusive. When you go to Amazon you expect to see lots of ads for product you may or may not want, because it's a storefront and it would be pretty bland without visual ads.

At a system level, like Windows, OSX, or iOS you would never accept ads, I don't know why you accept them on Xbox.

Nightfallfilms

Neo Member
I think the issue a lot of people have is that you're stating it as if it's fact but no one really knows for sure, and it wouldn't be totally out of left field if the section did have ads on it.

You don't know that for sure, I don't know the contrary for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were ads. I'd be pleasantly surprised if there weren't.

It's not your place to decide how people should spend their money and how they should value the services they receive. You don't know what $4.00 a month* is to a person compared to the service they receive in return. You don't know what $400 is for the entertainment they receive in return.

For you $50 a year** + ads is worth it, for others it isn't.

*Actually $5 a month
**Actually $60 a year

Actually, if you have ever paid full price for live then you are doing it all wrong. Not one time have I ever paid $60 for live. The most I have ever paid was $45 for the year.

Xevious

Banned
How would you feel about Windows if every time you went to the start screen it was filled with ads? How about on an Adroid or iphone? What does it say about a company that creates a UI that prioritizes ad integration more then user-friendliness, customization, or sleekness and speed? That's what the Xbox UI does,and it's probably the only UI that gets away with it.

When you go you a site like Neogaf you accept unobtrusive banner ads, because it's a free site, and because they're, well, unobtrusive. When you go to Amazon you expect to see lots of ads for product you may or may not want, because it's a storefront and it would be pretty bland without visual ads.

At a system level, like Windows, OSX, or iOS you would never accept ads, I don't know why you accept them on Xbox.

Because they're... drumroll... unobstrusive. And even with ads I find the Xbox UI to be faster than the PS3 UI, so it does't really affect speed.

Nightfallfilms

Neo Member
Its pretty simple if someone dislikes having ads don't buy Xbox Live, simple as that. I for one having Xbox Live for many years have never been bothered by the ads. In fact I rarely even notice them and when I do its usually something I want to check out anyways. Like that movie trailer for that cool new movie that is coming out or something like that.

It basically boils down to ones opinion on the subject and mine is one that if the ads aren't so prevalent to be distracting then I don't have a problem with them. If it gives Sony or MS more money to put back into the service to make it even better and all I have to do is deal with a few ads then how can that be a bad thing?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Actually, if you have ever paid full price for live then you are doing it all wrong. Not one time have I ever paid $60 for live. The most I have ever paid was $45 for the year.

That's irrelevant because that's not what Microsoft is offering Live subscriptions for, that's what others are reselling it for.

Would you say "You paid 500 for your XONE? Haha you idiot my friend sold me one for 30 bucks you're doing video games so wrong!"

Of course not, that's crazy.

Its pretty simple if someone dislikes having ads don't buy Xbox Live, simple as that.

You're right. If anyone ever has any criticisms about anything ever they should just shut up and ignore it from then on. Spot on.

Because they're... drumroll... unobstrusive. And even with ads I find the Xbox UI to be faster than the PS3 UI, so it does't really affect speed.

You're post history is amazing man.

I'm not going to waste too much time on an obvious shill, but yes, having ads replace what could otherwise be used for apps or other information a user wants on their homescreen is objectively obtrusive.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

Wonderful for you, again don't tell people what they should or should not buy or find expensive.

That's irrelevant because that's not what Microsoft is offering Live subscriptions for, that's what others are reselling it for.

Would you say "You paid 500 for your XONE? Haha you idiot my friend sold me one for 30 bucks you're doing video games so wrong!"

Of course not, that's crazy.

You have a point but to be fair to the guy you're quoting he probably takes advantage of the deals you see several times a year on slickdeals or CAG, etc. that have Live for $35 and that's available to everyone. I think this year alone I've already seen the deal available twice. It's not like somebody's friend selling them something secondhand.

njean777

Nice strawman.

I pay for services that offer no ads because I do not like ads.

You sound like one of those people who claim they're not a racist because they've got black friends.

Owning and using a PS3 doesn't mean that you're not a shrill. Not that I'm suggesting you are.

You're making the assumption that I'm against the PS3. I enjoy gaming on both Microsoft and Sony consoles. I've had memorable experiences on each. Do you have a problem with me having a preferred interface and console over the other even if it may not seem rational to you? If my views are some how non conformist with the rest of popular opinion on NeoGAF does that make me a bad or stupid person? Nope. Like I said, I went and got both consoles last gen and I plan on getting both this gen. I just have a preference of what I'm going to get first.

I also take offense to your racism analogy. I find it in poor taste.

Top Bottom