• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 UI 16 minute video

level44

You must be suffering from a traumatising issue that burned advertisements in your retina. I can't think of any other reason you would see ads in the videos of the Xbox One UI, because there weren't any.

Lol watch it again. There are plenty of ads.

Sony said it's a debug unit and not final.

Devkits and debug kits don't typically get all the bells and whistles nor do they get upgraded on the same schedule and path as the consumer devices. We have no idea when the last time that kit right there was updated, so for all we know we're critiquing a months old build.

Yes, it IS, too early to shit on it. Wait for official videos and hands on of a CONSUMER PS4.

Even when we get the final version it won't be "final", they'll be upgrading it. This video isn't that old (from what I can tell) and I doubt Sony has a ton of people working on the UI right up until launch, they most likely have a shipping version set and others working on ongoing changes.

It is not too early to make a judgment. I doubt what we're seeing here is going to be much different from what is delivered to me in 30 days. Yes, slight tweaks and whatnot but the actual layout, the core functionality and flow will not change.

You must be suffering from a traumatising issue that burned advertisements in your retina. I can't think of any other reason you would see ads in the videos of the Xbox One UI, because there weren't any.

Is that so?

W5SdJFz.jpg

I see 8 of the 15 tiles (in the "my pins" section no less) taken up with ads. But you're right, no ads. And people think this shit looks better then the PS4 UI, LOL.

Mondy

Banned

Edit: Don't mean to insult you with that first sentence, just trying to be funny here :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqjru5jmA4U

What's that on the left? Ads for Homeland, Game of Thrones and something in the middle I don't recognize.

Marleyman

Banned
Is that so?

I see 8 of the 15 tiles (in the "my pins" section no less) taken up with ads. But they you're right, no ads. And people think this shit looks better then the PS4 UI, LOL.

Ads for movies, TV shows are the ads you despise so much? I don't mind those at all; ones for buying McDonalds or some shit are annoying.

Mondy

Banned
Do those things have to go hand in hand though? Why do we have to settle when there's really no reason we can't have a great looking, yet functional, UI without ads.

What are you talking about Hawks? Is that......Is that common sense inspired by principle you're speaking of? In the GAMING industry!?

Why don't you have a seat over there....

That video is fake.

And that would be on the right, not left.

Sorry. I'm in Australia, so I'm upside down.

Ads for movies, TV shows are the ads you despise so much? I don't mind those at all; ones for buying McDonalds or some shit are annoying.

I don't see the difference. As a gamer, the only thing I'd want to see ads for would be discounts on games in the online store.

Good points.

I'd still prefer the better UI though. If it means overlooking ads then so be it. I can still boot a game instantly on 360 even with it's more elaborate UI. Give me the better brand integration and cool transitions. Shouldn't they be pimping stuff on PS+? Hit me with ads for games and other things to spend my money on but do it in a way that'll entice me to do it.

I just wish Sony would've done something with it instead of the static blue background. Give us some cool transitions utilizing the shapes pattern and ribbon. I want to see the graphics on the console packaging in motion. It doesn't have to be some crazy 3 second long animation, just something subtle and sleek that gives me the impression that they wanted to make the entire experience enjoyable as soon as I turn on the system.

It just sucks seeing the potential go to waste.

im not too worried about that current lack of "flair" the PS4 UI seems to be showing. if you remember all the way back at the PS event in February the key thing they wanted to say about the UI is simple, immediate, social, integrated, and personalized. sure, they might not have some of the intuitiveness the Xbone has but they have room to grow and make changes depending on our feedback. they have shown us they're willing to really listen after the HDMI recording requests.

the UI in the video also doesn't seem to be the main focus. the pages showing the game and content seems to be

Krakn3Dfx

Is that so?

I see 8 of the 15 tiles (in the "my pins" section no less) taken up with ads. But they you're right, no ads. And people think this shit looks better then the PS4 UI, LOL.

A lot of people just come in here to try and pimp the Xbone like it's not heading out of the gate as the red headed stepchild of next gen. The same happens on both sides, but the "oh man that UI is so ugly, Microsoft UI is so much better to me and that's super important" spin is pretty hilarious.

UI looks fully functional and fast and will no doubt have a pretty high level of customization because Sony has said that was one of their primary goals with the PS4 UI.

There is a clear difference to me. I am sure we all want to live in a society that gives us free games, discounts for nothing.

I'm not talking about free games, I'm just talking about showing what's available in the Store. A lot of times I don't go into the online store, but if there was a small ad space that showed you what happened to be on sale that day, which I might not otherwise know about unless I actively browse the store, I think that's a win-win.

What I don't want are ads for Under The Dome and Burger King shitting up my home screen.

Marleyman

Banned
A lot of people just come in here to try and pimp the Xbone like it's not heading out of the gate as the red headed stepchild of next gen.

I wasn't aware you couldn't compare the two UI's; my bad.

Krakn3Dfx said:
The same happens on both sides, but the "oh man that UI is so ugly, Microsoft UI is so much better to me and that's super important" spin is pretty hilarious.

What is hilarious and spin about an opinion?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I'm not talking about free games, I'm just talking about showing what's available in the Store. A lot of times I don't go into the online store, but if there was a small ad space that showed you what happened to be on sale that day, which I might not otherwise know about unless I actively browse the store, I think that's a win-win.

What I don't want are ads for Under The Dome and Burger King shitting up my home screen.

To be fair that is what this claims to be showing (What's New).

Except it is has TV and Movies and 1 game.

Marleyman

Banned

Did you use the 360 this gen? I found sales, etc fairly easily.

If I go into the XBL marketplace and see ads for popular or upcoming games- that's fine.
If I go into the movie marketplace and see ads for promotions newly released shows- that's fine.

What I don't like is when my home page or pages which should only contain stuff I want on it have ads, and not only that but sometimes have more ads then actual content. Imagine if your phone's screen was taken up by 50% ads, and it took you twice as long to find something because of that.

Skilletor

?

If I go into the XBL marketplace and see ads for popular or upcoming games- that's fine.
If I go into the movie marketplace and see ads for promotions newly released shows- that's fine.

What I don't like is when my home page or pages which should only contain stuff I want on it have ads, and not only that but sometimes have more ads then actual content. Imagine if your phone's screen was taken up by 50% ads, and it took you twice as long to find something because of that.

This. When I go to the store or the store section or whatever and see ads and other non-me content, that's fine. But it shouldn't be what I'm subjected to when I turn on my console.

Marleyman

Banned

I don't get it; when I boot up my 360 I see my game that is in my system to play. I can then go where I want to from there.

DericLee

Banned
Is that so?

I see 8 of the 15 tiles (in the "my pins" section no less) taken up with ads. But you're right, no ads. And people think this shit looks better then the PS4 UI, LOL.

Ads?

I thought they said your 'Pin' section shows pinned programs/apps as well as the most recent shows/music you accessed on said apps.

Meaning that "Mindy Project", "This is 40", and "Rianna" are just the last things watched/listened to......

Pessimism is strong in this one....

jim2011

Ads?

I thought they said your 'Pin' section shows pinned programs/apps as well as the most recent shows/music you accessed on said apps.

Meaning that "Mindy Project", "This is 40", and "Rianna" are just the last things watched/listened to......

Correct! Someone has some sense.

EvB

Is that so?

I know you think you are being clever, but those "ads" are shortcuts to the content that has been put there by the user.

Ads?

I know you think you are being clever, but those "ads" are shortcuts to the content that has been put there by the user.

If you want to believe those aren't ads and somebody pinned "Rihanna" and "The Mindy Show" then thats on you, I'm not that delusional.

Splint

Sony is letting me down with the lack of official UI demo.

So far we've seen more Xbox one stuff like improved voice quality, improved friend/follow social features, improved achievement system, reputation, smartmatch thing. I really hope PS4 has some stuff of its own outside of friend list and trophies.

SPDIF

If you want to believe those aren't ads and somebody pinned "Rihanna" and "The Mindy Show" then thats on you, I'm not that delusional.

Why do you think the section is called "My Pins"? It's because you, the user, decide exactly what you want to be pinned there. Just like Windows 8 and Windows Phone. So yes, in that instance somebody had pinned "Rihanna" and "The Mindy Show". No delusion needed.

SPDIF

Ok, whatever, I'm not going to bother trying to convince someone that doesn't want to be convinced. In your eyes the XBO UI has no ads.

So there are no ads on the bone? Thats good news if true..

I don't think anybody is saying that the XBO UI doesn't have ads, but there are zero ads in that specific screenshot that was posted. Like I said above, it's a specific area for you to pin things that are relevant to you. I'm sure you could have it completely blank if you wanted, or just have it dedicated entirely to games.

Top Bottom