• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#PS4NoDRM #XboxOneNoDRM || Now do you "Believe?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
But this isn't the way to go about it. I never buy used unless it out of print or late in a console life and can't get it new. I want to lend my games, go to others and play them w/o my profile and know the game I hold in my hand will always run on the conole I own.

Whats your best explanation for it?

I never buy used as I purchase all my games digitally.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Doesnt matter to me if there are DRM policies. My friends who make games deserve the right to have people pay for their titles.

People do pay for their titles. This isn't piracy we're talking about here.

Is there a similar effort for MS as well?
No that ship has sailed. Besides I think they get the message after this week.

Apparently you dont have friends in the industry. Also, digital is already here. I use Steam every single day of my gaming filled life

Digital gaming is TOTALLY different IMO. It shouldn't have secure rom crap but just like PSN games I know the ability to loan games or trade them in isn't an option. But the games are lower cost and so far once I bought one I've always been able to redownload. But for retail it should be like it always has.

jschreier

Fight the power! I worry that this is more about third-party publishers than it is about Microsoft and Sony, but hey, the more people do to get their voice out, the better.

I-hate-u

Keep basic online play free, don't adopt an anti-used games policy and don't implement always online DRM Sony! #PS4NoDRM #PS4USEDGAMES

I found this one. Spam it everywhere!!!

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
So I signed up, watched a youtube video how to send tweets (lol, i'm serious) and then fired off comments to teh four dudes in the OP.

Sony and MS cannot have directly opposite approaches as they are dealing with the same developers across both platforms

Exactly.

The consequences of Sony have zero DRM and MS having there account locking / online checking DRM would be really bad for one of the two and it would probably be bad for the one with no DRM.

statham

Fight the power! I worry that this is more about third-party publishers than it is about Microsoft and Sony, but hey, the more people do to get their voice out, the better.
sony is already doing this type of thing before the voice went out

dancmc

Sadly I think the ship has also sailed at keeping the status quo. Hope all the hoopla this week by the hardcore goes at least goes some way in preserving some consumer rights.

Whats your best explanation for it?

I never buy used as I purchase all my games digitally.

Honestly I wouldn't mind the stores like GameStop being forced to pay the pubs/devs a tax for the games they sold used. Gamers who use the mega used stores would lose money on trade ins but you'd still have free market trading/selling on eBay. It's the mega used stores that are the biggest issue and if the MS rumor is true Gamestop would be rewarded by being part of the limited set of retailers that could sell used.

Also if you lower the cost of games I think you're less likely to want used nor trade in games.

Exactly.

The consequences of Sony have zero DRM and MS having there account locking / online checking DRM would be really bad for one of the two and it would probably be bad for the one with no DRM.

Thanks for seeing it. A lot of people are not looking at the bigger picture. When one company in the same market takes a stance on a policy it also forces moves on the other side.

Pennywise

Exactly.

But that might explain the partnership between MS and EA.
It's not like EA could release Fifa exclusive on the new Xbox, since it would be a complete suicide and they have to respond to their investors after all.

The question is, who is exactly enforcing this form of DRM ?
EA is a given, but which publishers are part of it as well ?

Moxx19

Banned
Exactly.

Okay, how? How would it be bad for them? Positive word of mouth is no small thing, it is an invaluable asset that they should be taking advantage of.

Sony and Microsoft are not tied to the will of publishers. If they dare tried that kind of leverage they'd be playing with fire.

I'm getting tired of this assumption that just because Microsoft are acting like a bunch of clowns, Sony should have to as well.

Fi Fo Nye

Banned
I hope I was able to get my message across to them before this trends, so they don't just start ignoring the rest of their mentions until it all boils over.

Though I did tweet Suttner and Bettenhausen too, which was probably just a waste of characters to include their '@' handles.

Pennywise

Thanks for seeing it. A lot of people are not looking at the bigger picture. When one company in the same market takes a stance on a policy it also forces moves on the other side.

They haven't got the same market.
Sony is basically strong where Microsoft isn't and the other way around.
Sony is strong in Japan were the used game market is pretty valuable and important.
They are also strong in Europe, were usually people are way more conservative over their physical media and the used market is strong.

They do. When they buy them new at retail. After that, it's none of their business.

Don't you know. Ford gets a kickback every time you rebuy a Mustang?

No it's only the videogame industry that whines like bitches when people rightfully sell and repurchase their own property.

jschreier

Fair, but right now the only company making money on this transaction are the retailers, and consumers only save like 5-10 bucks.

So maybe Microsoft and Sony should realize that if customers are *that* desperate to save $5-10 bucks, then games need to be cheaper.

But that might explain the partnership between MS and EA.
It's not like EA could release Fifa exclusive on the new Xbox, since it would be a complete suicide and they have to respond to their investors after all.

The question is, who is exactly enforcing this form of DRM ?
EA is a given, but which publishers are part of it as well ?

I think most publishers and developers are probably pro DRM.

There are a handful of developers and small publishers like CD Project who take pride in offering a zero DRM option but those guys are few and far between.

Steam is DRM but steam integration is seen as a plus by most gamers and probably has a high profit margin for pubs/devs.

Sony can do something less shitty maybe.

That is what I see happening.

Ardenyal

Tweeted. It might not make a huge difference but I would hate that the future of gaming is decided behind the scenes by execs and we don't get our say.

They haven't got the same market.
Sony is basically strong where Microsoft isn't and the other way around.
Sony is strong in Japan were the used game market is pretty valuable and important.
They are also strong in Europe, were usually people are way more conservative over their physical media and the used market is strong.

Last time I checked the reason Gaf and most gamers are upset is exactly for this reason. they are in the same market. They are consoles that can play games.

JABEE

Let's hope this works. At least they could give people a nod or a wink to say that there will be no new DRM policy. Allow people to use and resell their physical discs. I hop some outlets pick up on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom