• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#PS4NoDRM #XboxOneNoDRM || Now do you "Believe?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

dancmc

Retailers connect customers Used Games with customers. Consumers get money or credit for their games. GameStop is an intermediary that takes on the costs of purchasing games from walk-in customers in an attempt on aggregate to make money. Some games may lose them money, some may have huge margins, but they provide that service.

As someone who despises a lot of GameStop's techniques, I can't throw everyone out because GameStop charges too much, but I don't think that is Microsoft or Sony's business to control.

This is not only about protecting customer's rights to sell their games to GameStop, but also to maintain the utility of the physical products we purchase. So that we don't set a precedent that allows companies to continue to control how we use the content we physically own. I should be able to have the choice to lend my game to a friend or sell my games without having to ask Sony or Microsoft permission to. I shouldn't have to be at the mercy of their economic stranglehold on the used games market.

I don't disagree, and I think consumers need protections (even from themselves), but I still think that it would be nice if the teams that made the games to see some kind of cut of the used games market. I think it needs an overhaul, just not sure what it should look like.

Anyways. Lets go fight and make a stance on something that is going to change regardless of how much we cry about it.
tumblr_m6wkm7WXUW1qihztbo1_250.gif

nib95

Banned
Yep. Instead of playing fairly and pricing Used Games out of existence by offering competitive pricing and service to consumers, they are pretty much abusing their consumer's rights to the property they own to extort places like GameStop into starting a revenue sharing system.

One approach helps consumers and eliminates Used Games. The other system props up gamers and strips them of their rights as a ploy to run used game sellers out of business.

Publishers/Microsoft/Sony had a HUGE fair chance to stick it to used games by pricing their digital download versions of games cheaper, instead they charged more for them than the retail alternative. Because they're greedy fuckers who don't give much of a shit about the consumer and only think of the short term gain.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>@<a href="https://twitter.com/yosp">yosp</a> I think this is for you &amp; your team… RT @<a href="https://twitter.com/santsational">santsational</a>: @<a href="https://twitter.com/victor_lucas">victor_lucas</a> @<a href="https://twitter.com/scottcjones">scottcjones</a> Help us out here! <a href="http://t.co/YRu0Yg81U6" title="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=568033">neogaf.com/forum/showthre…</a><a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23PS4NoDRM">#PS4NoDRM</a></p>&mdash; Victor Lucas (@Victor_Lucas) <a href="https://twitter.com/Victor_Lucas/status/338841257084325888">May 27, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Victor is a great guy.

What the hell is up with people coping code?

yurinka

As Community Manager I suggest you to add popular related hashtags to get more attention from other Twitter users who may be interested.

I tweeted this:

@jpkoller @luckylongworth @rohdescott @nsuttner @shanewatch To sell MY old #Playstation games allows me to buy new ones #PS4NoDRM

@yosp A lot of friends will move from #Xbox360 to #PS4,because they need to sell some old games to buy new ones. Please allow #PS4USEDGAMES

The solution is get rid of physical based media so no one can copy data to another system. Its perfectly simple
PSP Go failure proved it isn't a good idea for them

Yeah, we should push the issue. For all we know, Sony has the same bullshit and we need to let them know what we think. The customer shouldn't be underestimated and is the most important person in the business.

As Community Manager I suggest you to add popular related hashtags to get more attention from other Twitter users who may be interested.

I tweeted this:

@jpkoller @luckylongworth @rohdescott @nsuttner @shanewatch To sell MY old #Playstation games allows me to buy new ones #PS4NoDRM

@yosp A lot of friends will move from #Xbox360 to #PS4,because they need to sell some old games to buy new ones. Please allow #PS4USEDGAMES
This is a really great idea.
Everyone please try to follow Yurinka's advice!

Digital is already taking over. Thats exactly my point for posting in this thread. No matter how much any of us send messages or tweet about it. It is the digital world. Its happened in every evolving society.

Don't support it? That's fine, but no one wants to hear you harping on about it. This isn't a 'digital is taking over' thread.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS

I tweeted this:

PSP Go failure proved it isn't a good idea for them

That works with my tweet about:

Please allow used games It may not affect me but it greatly affects my nefu who only gets used games for Christmas and birthday

It would suck for him and tons of others if this shit is implemented

lol...any one got more youtube links i can upvote?

the ones in the microso- Dammit

JABEE

Publishers/Microsoft/Sony had a HUGE fair chance to stick it to used games by pricing their digital download versions of games cheaper, instead they charged more for them than the retail alternative. Because they're greedy fuckers who don't give much of a shit about the consumer and only think of the short term gain.

They also realize that boxed media make up a large percentage of their revenue for each quarter. No entity wants to create that kind of channel conflict unless they know that they can survive in a scenario where the retailers fight back.

Pricing games fairly isn't an option. Microsoft and it appears Sony want to preserve their high pricing, continue on the path of slowly moving away from retail, and use their power to bully consumers and retailers into giving into their demands.

GameStop and other retailers are only as useful and powerful as their ability to push product for these publishers. If Microsoft or Sony could feasibly eliminate them they would.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Did my part. If PS4 supports this kind of bullshit (because it is, no way around it), I'm quitting console gaming for good.

farisr

Is repeatedly posting off-topic things and trying to derail a thread banworthy on neogaf (especially if you're a junior)?

I really hope it is. I'm sick of this guy and his derailing, and the worst part, LYING. It would've been a little more bareable if he stuck to his story and didn't lie out of his ass to suit his needs.

Anyways, I will post a link to my video in regards to this issue whenever it's done (if I ever get around to it that is). Will probably be sometime this week once I get better (pretty sick right now).

man Vic is still around? I remember watching him on tv when i was just a kid! that is awesome.

I saw him walking by on the street once, he was in for a games conference in London, Ontario. I was like "Yo, Victor Lucas!" And he gave me a strange look and was like "umm, hi?" and walked on.

Felt bad man.

yurinka

Exactly.

The consequences of Sony have zero DRM and MS having there account locking / online checking DRM would be really bad for one of the two and it would probably be bad for the one with no DRM.
Publishers would love what MS is proposing.

If MS offers this and Sony doesn't, that will strain publisher relations with Sony.
No way.

At the start of this generation the games of a console had piracy and the other not. And they were supporting more the one with piracy because has bigger user base and was easier to develop for.

So if this time both are easy to develop for they will just support the one with a bigger user base. So if consumers run away from tyranic policies from a console to another then the one with the better policies for the customers will get the support from third parties. Plain and simple.

At least here in Spain (4th European market, 7th worldwide market), 2nd hand is pretty huge. A lot of people here sell old games to buy new ones. And buy cheaper, 2nd hand games to discover new IPs or developers. So whoever implements this shit will experience a huge drop in both hardware and software sales, at least here. This goes for both 1st and 3rd party.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom