• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#PS4NoDRM #XboxOneNoDRM || Now do you "Believe?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which is why it won't matter. Asking people to sacrifice 5 seconds of their life doesn't signify anything. If people were really serious you would see more enthusiast gamers willing to boycott and not buy the systems. No, not buy used systems or games. No not make their GamerTag "SupportUsedGames420Xxxx", but flat out stop buying the systems, but we all know we won't. A majority of the people bitching will probably still line up on launch day and buy one or both of these systems and companies know this. Enough people are not really willing to put their money where there mouth is.

Dear god man. By the time these systems are out and we then refuse to buy them - it will be too late. Join us.

You basically just proved his point. You might not have bought it, but millions of others did. Hard to hear a vocal minority over the sound of golden coins falling into Scrooge McDuck's vault.

And guess what? When anyone criticizes the assholes who are contributing to the machine that churns out dudebro shooters every year and killing innovation, do you know who they can point at? Him, not me.

If everyone always just gave up when the fight seemed hopeless we'd be living in a pretty fucked world right now.

Dear god man. By the time these systems are out and we then refuse to buy them - it will be too late. Join us.

Issue's not that big of a deal for me. I'm buying a PS4. Maybe not at launch, but that has nothing to do with any boycott. If they block used games I will cater my gaming habits around that (I hardly buy/play used games anymore anyway) but I don't find it soapbox worthy to me.

ascii42

People are forgetting that publishers are just as big a part of this as the console manufacturers, meaning Sony might not have a choice.

Even if Sony allows used games, publishers are better off releasing games on the PS4 than not. Unlike WiiU owners, we'll actually buy third party games.

Used games isn't that big a concern for me, though not being lend games to friends would be a bummer.

I'm more worried about games being tied to accounts, given how it's not unusual for niche games to only be published in the larger European countries. Currently I can just import retail games, but that may not be possible if there's no digital release to tie it to on my PSN account.

Godslay

Banned
And guess what? When anyone criticizes the assholes who are contributing to the machine that churns out dudebro shooters every year and killing innovation, do you know who they can point at? Him, not me.

If everyone always just gave up when the fight seemed hopeless we'd be living in a pretty fucked world right now.

Dudebro is overused and a terrible stereotype. I've seen all sorts play COD. You are fighting an imaginary bad guy! Plus, Activision is just putting out what people buy. They sell a commodity that people buy in the millions. I can't blame them for doing so, because I would do the same thing.

As far as your fucked up world concept, people tend to devote their time to actual causes, that's why we don't live in an entirely fucked up world.

Outside of a tweet, your best bet is to not buy it, but given history you are going to be drown out by people who don't give a shit. They'll listen to the sound of money over a tweet that likely sounds like you are entitled to their money. Maybe I'm way off, but history has shown people still buy this stuff, in huge quantities. Even DD.

ascii42

tears from sony gaf will be soo tasty if they actually announce DRM

image.php

The op has flipped flopped some much this past week it's hard to take anything he/she says seriously.

First, a couple of days ago you said it was definitely it's happening, then you completely discredited your own sources right after by saying it could be a case of broken telephone and been funneled bad info. Now you've said it's changed and happening again. You've pretty much covered every angle so whatever the outcome would you won't be wrong.

And the fact that this decision is changes from week to week is also laughable. Whatever the reason Sony's doing it, either for their own monetary reasons, or to please publishers it's obviously going to be a big part of their road map and future plans with the console and a few bad articles on used games in a week is not going to change anything.

I never said it was definitely anything, positive or negative. The truth of all of this is that it's very fluid.

And you needn't worry. If I was or am ever full of shit the mods will ban me. And I'm not looking to get banned. I quite enjoy this place.

Issue's not that big of a deal for me. I'm buying a PS4. Maybe not at launch, but that has nothing to do with any boycott. If they block used games I will cater my gaming habits around that (I hardly buy/play used games anymore anyway) but I don't find it soapbox worthy to me.

Well that's all good and I respect that it's not a much of deal for you, but not soapbox worthy? You got on your soapbox to tell us it wasn't worth bothering with. Several times in this thread, I hasten to add.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Did my part as well. Everyone please do this. Any action is better than no action aka consent to consumer rape.

Why should people need to tweet and shout at Sony to get answers? You are potential customers.

Yoshida or whoever should stop fucking around and just be clear about their policies and their product instead of being cagey and secretive. Kudos to MS for actually having the balls to tell their customers exactly what to expect.

Dudebro is overused and a terrible stereotype. I've seen all sorts play COD. You are fighting an imaginary bad guy! Plus, Activision is just putting out what people buy. They sell a commodity that people buy in the millions. I can't blame them for doing so, because I would do the same thing.

As far as your fucked up world concept, people tend to devote their time to actual causes, that's why we don't live in an entirely fucked up world.

Outside of a tweet, your best bet is to not buy it, but given history you are going to be drown out by people who don't give a shit. They'll listen to the sound of money over a tweet that likely sounds like you are entitled to their money. Maybe I'm way off, but history has shown people still buy this stuff, in huge quantities. Even DD.

You got overattached to my one example of Call of Duty. Feel free to pick another.

My point about fighting regardless of the odds wasn't meant to equate media consumer rights to more important human endeavors like ending slavery or gender equality, but you turned that into a red herring.

The point is: some of us stick to principles. "Others are gonna do it anyway, so you might as well give up!" is a stupid counter-argument for that.

Why should people need to tweet and shout at Sony to get answers? You are potential customers.

Yoshida or whoever should stop fucking around and just be clear about their policies and their product instead of being cagey and secretive. Kudos to MS for actually having the balls to tell their customers exactly what to expect.

I can't tell anymore....

It might be worth messaging some of these popular gaming YouTube/Steaming personalities too, get them to make videos encouraging their followers to tweet. It cant hurt to ask.

Hex

Banned
@yosp @jpkoller @luckylongworth @rohdescott @shanewatch @nsuttner respectfully on behalf of myself and gamers all over the world #PS4NoDRM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom