• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN 2.0: What should it be like? (Twitter #BetterPSN)

Bahlor

I just wish you can run Netflix and Youtube when the PSN is down.

You can't ? What exactly needs PSN on those apps? I can't remember ever having problems with those apps when PSN was down. I'm using amazon instant video, maxdome and netflix daily as I'm not watching any tv. Did you activate your console as primary?

Or did I only have luck so far?

ViciousDS

Banned
They don't, thats actually a good idea... Taken from steam haha.

The game library sorting could take a note from steam. We don't need to have giant thumbnails for games we already own and know what they are. A sortable list would be fantastic.

What we really need for downloads is the ability to limit bandwidth to other operations when downloading a patch or game. When the system is using an app or game it seems to bog the most during these periods. Want to download a game fast atm is don't use anything on the console and put it into standby while downloading. Why can't we allocate more resources to the download or possibly limit certain functions when a download is taking place in order to speed it up while still being able to Minorly watch a movie on Netflix or a tv show on Hulu. Why does a computer use max bandwidth when using applications and playing games when a PS4 goes into snore mode and gives almost no speed at all. Something limits the download while physically using he system and there really is no need for it unless your steaming to twitch or playing an online game.

Aurizen

The game library sorting could take a note from steam. We don't need to have giant thumbnails for games we already own and know what they are. A sortable list would be fantastic.

What we really need for downloads is the ability to limit bandwidth to other operations when downloading a patch or game. When the system is using an app or game it seems to bog the most during these periods. Want to download a game fast atm is don't use anything on the console and put it into standby while downloading. Why can't we allocate more resources to the download or possibly limit certain functions when a download is taking place in order to speed it up while still being able to Minorly watch a movie on Netflix or a tv show on Hulu. Why does a computer use max bandwidth when using applications and playing games when a PS4 goes into snore mode and gives almost no speed at all. Something limits the download while physically using he system and there really is no need for it unless your steaming to twitch or playing an online game.
Ah! yes! this is greatly needed! Check out my tweet! Hope it can get a lot of retweets!

kuroshiki

PSN need to be really fixed for PS4 and for all the future devices.

So... Is Sony really know what is going on in terms of user demands and what not?

Aurizen

So... Is Sony really know what is going on in terms of user demands and what not?

I doubt it. That is why we're having this campaign. The PSN feels stagnant. We want users to express how they feel on twitter using the hashtag #betterpsn as described on the 1st page along with the website

Bahlor

And again it's down... almost everyday... this really has to end! Everyone is complaining, I just don't understand why this topic doesn't get more attention.

Aurizen

And again it's down... almost everyday... this really has to end! Everyone is complaining, I just don't understand why this topic doesn't get more attention.

Wow! What is going on? :/ we really do need the a better psn... Hopefully IGN mentions it or something!

ViciousDS

Banned
I thought this was supposed to be PSN 2.0 with the launch of the PS4.

Dude, it's hard as an MVP to answer to anyone when I get asked questions of why the online infrastructure we pay for is just utter shit and how can I support them. Honestly the service has been no better than what we had for free on the PS3. In fact I think my downloads are faster on the PS3 and more reliable.....the only thing that sucked was install times.

Dude, it's hard as an MVP to answer to anyone when I get asked questions of why the online infrastructure we pay for is just utter shit and how can I support them. Honestly the service has been no better than what we had for free on the PS3. In fact I think my downloads are faster on the PS3 and more reliable.....the only thing that sucked was install times.
That's depressing

Yoday

I agree completely on both of these major points. Content sorting on the PS4 is an abysmal mess that needs to be fixed ASAP. It is absurd that my library is filled with demos, betas, and games that only exist in the menu because I have DLC for them rather than the game itself. For example, I rented Driveclub and download a few pieces of the free DLC, and now Driveclub is forever in my library even though I don't own the game. The worst offender is Betas though, as they are literally useless once the Beta ends, but they can't even be hidden.

The download issue is getting to be more and more of a problem as games get bigger, patches get bigger, there is more DLC, and there are more games that are digital only. This download throttling has been an issue for more than eight months now, and Sony hasn't even so much as acknowledged the issue. At this point I am pretty much convinced that they are throttling on purpose with no intention of fixing it and they are going to continue letting people blame ISPs and their internet connections.
Ah! yes! this is greatly needed! Check out my tweet! Hope it can get a lot of retweets!
That doesn't really properly show the problem though. Yes, it's crap that PSN gets such shit maximum download speeds, but the real issue is the throttling. I can live with 40mbps even if I should be getting 100mbps, but pretty much anytime you are doing anything on the system it throttles downloads down to ~400kbps. What most people are experiencing when it comes to slow download speeds isn't their connection, it's the download being throttled. This is why you can watch items downloading at the same speed regardless of if you have one thing downloading or four things downloading.

This is one of the most frustrating parts of the whole thing. They don't communicate enough with the consumer, so we have no idea what they are working on. There are a lot of serious issues when it comes to digital on their systems, and they won't even tell us if they are working on them. The download list structure has been a complete nightmare for nearly a decade, and as far as we know they have zero intention of ever addressing the problem of content sorting on the PS4. The download throttling has been an issue for eight months with no end in sight.

The digital experience of a console is becoming more and more important every single day, and Sony are dropping the ball in a major way. The fact is that I can't feel good about purchasing a digital product on the PS4 because I know the download experience is going to be a nightmare, and the digital library experience on the system is a nightmare. The system has been out for nearly two years and all we have gotten to improve the digital experience is a few very basic sorting options in the library, and a limiter on how many items show up in the main content bar. Other than that the experience has gotten significantly worse with download speeds that got dramatically cut due to the throttling, and more items that clutter up our nightmare of a digital library.

All of this effects not only the here and now, but it brings into question what we can expect from the future of the platform. We have no idea if Sony plans on fixing these issues, or even if they are aware that they are issues to begin with. How can I be confident in being a PlayStation customer when history tells me that the PS4 and any future system is going to continue being a nightmare when it comes to digital content. I love many aspects of the PS4, but these things are so frustrating to me and lower my confidence in Sony's digital future so much that every day I have been more and more tempted to drop the PS4 as my primary platform. Every time I download something on the PS4 or dive into the deep abyss that is the library I can't help but think that Sony either doesn't know what the problems are, or that they just don't care. Either way, they aren't doing enough, and as a fan of PlayStation I am reach the end of my limit of how much of this bullshit I can take.

Aurizen

I agree completely on both of these major points. Content sorting on the PS4 is an abysmal mess that needs to be fixed ASAP. It is absurd that my library is filled with demos, betas, and games that only exist in the menu because I have DLC for them rather than the game itself. For example, I rented Driveclub and download a few pieces of the free DLC, and now Driveclub is forever in my library even though I don't own the game. The worst offender is Betas though, as they are literally useless once the Beta ends, but they can't even be hidden.

The download issue is getting to be more and more of a problem as games get bigger, patches get bigger, there is more DLC, and there are more games that are digital only. This download throttling has been an issue for more than eight months now, and Sony hasn't even so much as acknowledged the issue. At this point I am pretty much convinced that they are throttling on purpose with no intention of fixing it and they are going to continue letting people blame ISPs and their internet connections.

That doesn't really properly show the problem though. Yes, it's crap that PSN gets such shit maximum download speeds, but the real issue is the throttling. I can live with 40mbps even if I should be getting 100mbps, but pretty much anytime you are doing anything on the system it throttles downloads down to ~400kbps. What most people are experiencing when it comes to slow download speeds isn't their connection, it's the download being throttled. This is why you can watch items downloading at the same speed regardless of if you have one thing downloading or four things downloading.

This is one of the most frustrating parts of the whole thing. They don't communicate enough with the consumer, so we have no idea what they are working on. There are a lot of serious issues when it comes to digital on their systems, and they won't even tell us if they are working on them. The download list structure has been a complete nightmare for nearly a decade, and as far as we know they have zero intention of ever addressing the problem of content sorting on the PS4. The download throttling has been an issue for eight months with no end in sight.

The digital experience of a console is becoming more and more important every single day, and Sony are dropping the ball in a major way. The fact is that I can't feel good about purchasing a digital product on the PS4 because I know the download experience is going to be a nightmare, and the digital library experience on the system is a nightmare. The system has been out for nearly two years and all we have gotten to improve the digital experience is a few very basic sorting options in the library, and a limiter on how many items show up in the main content bar. Other than that the experience has gotten significantly worse with download speeds that got dramatically cut due to the throttling, and more items that clutter up our nightmare of a digital library.

All of this effects not only the here and now, but it brings into question what we can expect from the future of the platform. We have no idea if Sony plans on fixing these issues, or even if they are aware that they are issues to begin with. How can I be confident in being a PlayStation customer when history tells me that the PS4 and any future system is going to continue being a nightmare when it comes to digital content. I love many aspects of the PS4, but these things are so frustrating to me and lower my confidence in Sony's digital future so much that every day I have been more and more tempted to drop the PS4 as my primary platform. Every time I download something on the PS4 or dive into the deep abyss that is the library I can't help but think that Sony either doesn't know what the problems are, or that they just don't care. Either way, they aren't doing enough, and as a fan of PlayStation I am reach the end of my limit of how much of this bullshit I can take.

I completely agree sony should definitely address the throttling. And should communicate with us a lot more. Like this campaign. I wish they would address it in some way saying they hear us and they are looking into stuff.... Maybe we should add in a Petition?

Aequitas

I completely agree sony should definitely address the throttling. And should communicate with us a lot more. Like this campaign. I wish they would address it in some way saying they hear us and they are looking into stuff.... Maybe we should add in a Petition?

Convincing a major gaming outlet ie: Kotaku to help the cause would probably get Sony's, as well as other people's, attention more than a petition would.

On Demand

Banned
The worst thing about these wish list threads is nothing is going to be implemented. Not while Japan still holds the key. Unlike MS who does everything on their own and can accept user feedback better.

With that said. They need more solid colors on PS4. The current ones are too transparent.

They also need to let us turn off automatic trophy pictures. Why would you let that be automated? What happens if they start using png captures?

Yoday

Any idea's how to convince them? We tried sending it to IGN and Gamespot. No luck.
Kotaku seems like the one of the few larger sites that would do it of you sent it to them. Sites like IGN are too worried about getting on the bad side of the major companies. At the end of the day I have a hard time believing Sony isn't aware of these issues and doesn't see the frustration here and in other places. What worries me is that they just don't care, and when they have the lead that they do it is going to take a lot of convincing to get them to actually give a damn.

Aurizen

Kotaku seems like the one of the few larger sites that would do it of you sent it to them. Sites like IGN are too worried about getting on the bad side of the major companies. At the end of the day I have a hard time believing Sony isn't aware of these issues and doesn't see the frustration here and in other places. What worries me is that they just don't care, and when they have the lead that they do it is going to take a lot of convincing to get them to actually give a damn.
We might send a Tip to Kotaku its up to etta to see what he thinks. I think its a good idea. I have a message ready to be sent.

Make it faster and make it so it doesn't shut down frequently.

Bravo OP, I support your movement as should the rest of GAF. I'm bloody sick of PSN problems.

Aequitas

This.
It wouldn't hurt to simply send it to them.

The worst thing about these wish list threads is nothing is going to be implemented. Not while Japan still holds the key. Unlike MS who does everything on their own and can accept user feedback better.

With that said. They need more solid colors on PS4. The current ones are too transparent.

They also need to let us turn off automatic trophy pictures. Why would you let that be automated? What happens if they start using png captures?

Does Sony have a feedback page similar to the MS one?

It could do them wonders, that is if they choose to listen to the highest voted feedback.

Yoday

Does Sony have a feedback page similar to the MS one?

It could do them wonders, that is if they choose to listen to the highest voted feedback.
They have had one for years. The problem is that they don't communicate what they are working on, they don't acknowledge the issues until they get around to fixing them, and they make changes at an absurdly slow pace. In nearly two years we have had very few changes to the PS4 UI. Meanwhile MS has bewn putting out nearly monthly updates with the XB1, and doing a total revamp based on freedback.

Honestly I don't expect a change to the download throttling anytime soon. It started with a FW update which means it is likely intentional, and I would guess they are doing it in order to limit how hard their servers are getting hit at any given time.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Okay, guys, I messaged Bishoptl for advice on the matter of contacting news sites. At the moment, my stance is that we not involve anyone else who does not have any control on the matter, and we, GAF, should only tweet directly to Adam Boyes or Shuhei Yoshida. I'll let you know what Bishoptl says.

Bahlor

Okay, guys, I messaged Bishoptl for advice on the matter of contacting news sites. At the moment, my stance is that we not involve anyone else who does not have any control on the matter, and we, GAF, should only tweet directly to Adam Boyes or Shuhei Yoshida. I'll let you know what Bishoptl says.

Sounds good i will change the Twitter links in the site.

About involving anyone else, a follower of the betterPSN twitter account started his "own" list, but it's basicslly the list of NeoGAF.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AlphaFoxWarfare/status/618601223462096896

https://mobile.twitter.com/AlphaFoxWarfare/status/618602955110002689

https://mobile.twitter.com/AlphaFoxWarfare/status/618601223462096896

Bahlor

Ok I made the changes to the site too. Only @yosp and @amboyes is now included in the twitter messages.

Also we might want to have a look at our feature list and maybe add descriptions to it? Sure most are self-explaining, but I think it's always good to be able to say more about a specific point. Maybe why there is a demand and how it could possibly be improved so it's a meaningful addition to PSN and would be a good move for sony to invest in this particular feature.

I'm also about to finish a small dashboard like backend for the site. Anyone want to help moderating suggestions etc.? Might be easier to get rid of those non-psn related improvements in our list etc.

EDIT: Any good artists here? Some kind of "logo" would also help I guess. Giving this some kind of official touch might improve how its being seen by others.

Mascot

I'm sure this has probably been mentioned before but getting a notification when friends come online would be immensely useful.

Bahlor

I'm sure this has probably been mentioned before but getting a notification when friends come online would be immensely useful.

The feature does exist in PSN. It's just missing on the OS side.

Alright, Bish said we can contact news sites like Kotaku if we want.

So what are our next steps here and how do we want to prepare this etc.?

EDIT: Somewhat should read through the website and correct everything my bad english produced before we get this campaign to the press.

Aurizen

With some of you guys advice I have sent an email to Kotaku so hopefully they will add some coverage to the campaign! Fingers crossed.

Nice topic and i agree with everything said. I noticed that some of this wanted features are already on Xbox Live :D

But yeah, Sony really needs to do something. A can already see the next downtimes coming with the BO3 beta etc

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
So many great suggestions awesome! And I'm quite surprised that there is almost not a moment where nobody is on the website. Almost all the time 2-3 persons at least at 40 at most at the same time.

Question: I'm still at work, would someone gather all psn related suggestions from the last 2 pages and post them on the website as new suggestion, if they're not already in there. Would be a big help.

I'm quite sure there are people from both sites here. excaliburps is from playstationlifestyle.

Didn't even know I was mentioned. xD (is there a way to get a notification whenever someone quotes you or something).

Yeah, I'm from PSLS, and if there's a way you guys think I can help, let me know. Not wanting to sound like a douche, but we're not a small site, either. :)

Aurizen

Didn't even know I was mentioned. xD (is there a way to get a notification whenever someone quotes you or something).

Yeah, I'm from PSLS, and if there's a way you guys think I can help, let me know. Not wanting to sound like a douche, but we're not a small site, either. :)

Haha! If you could give this campaign come coverage too that would greatly appreciated :D More people the better!

Bahlor

Wow awesome! Haha didn't think you would come here and find my old post ^^ Glad you did, we could really need some press coverage. This would boost the campaign a lot and might get the attention it deserves.

There are always people complaining on so many channels, yet they rarely support it to help getting a potential more stable and better psn. If this gets a little more "official" touch, it might get the needed attention we all hope for and Sony might at least respond in some way. It has been so much worse since the success of PS4 and at least a word from Sony would help a ton :-/

Top Bottom