• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN 2.0: What should it be like? (Twitter #BetterPSN)

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Trophy Tracking. If I need to kill 200 enemies with a particular type of gun, then tell me how many I have killed so I know how many more I need.

Bahlor

I haven't noticed it posted with a quick read of the topic. But I what I would love is on a games page on the store is the ability to download the patch for it whether it is installed or not. This would be a life saver come release day for physical games, downloading a slow 15gb patch for ESO for instance was ridiculous, it would be a great feature to have.

Ya especially with the given download speed this is really messed up... a few days later another 16 Gbyte update...

This feature would enhance the experience quite a lot, but as etta already said... chances are not that good.

Bahlor

Seems like PSN had some issues or maybe still has. Can't check it right now. However ppl seem to be complaining quite a lot at the moment and demand better infrastructure. As bad as this is, it might be good for the campaign.

vypek

Trophy Tracking. If I need to kill 200 enemies with a particular type of gun, then tell me how many I have killed so I know how many more I need.

I think this is nice but I'm skeptical that they'd do it. Seems like something that would be best implemented by devs to keep including stats.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Well I'm currently downloading the Far Cry demo at 100KBs so fast would be my answer, or at least now so God damn slow.

EDIT: It's now more like 20KBs.

Browsing the dynamic menu shouldn't cause my voice quality to degrade/cut out in party chat. Happens to my other friends regardless of headset so I know it's a universal issue.

phen0m24

Would love them to do whatever they can to make the network faster and more secure.
Would love a cohesive store experience. Demos/new Games/etc.
If they matched the discounts of Gamer's Club Unlocked with Plus - I would buy all my games digitally.
Appear offline mode/or the ability to put up a custom message "Goofing off - not responding to invites" or whatever
Huge increase to cloud storage for Plus subscribers.
Huge discount to PS Now for Plus subscribers - or maybe a free weekend per month

A Friend Finder system where we can find friends with similar interests, regionally, by similar games played, age, whatever. They get the demographic information, we get cool people to play with.

Links to videos/reviews from the guys on the Blog on the dashboard

(Will think of more)

Aurizen

Would love them to do whatever they can to make the network faster and more secure.
Would love a cohesive store experience. Demos/new Games/etc.
If they matched the discounts of Gamer's Club Unlocked with Plus - I would buy all my games digitally.
Appear offline mode/or the ability to put up a custom message "Goofing off - not responding to invites" or whatever
Huge increase to cloud storage for Plus subscribers.
Huge discount to PS Now for Plus subscribers - or maybe a free weekend per month

A Friend Finder system where we can find friends with similar interests, regionally, by similar games played, age, whatever. They get the demographic information, we get cool people to play with.

Links to videos/reviews from the guys on the Blog on the dashboard

(Will think of more)
Be sure to add your submission/requests to the website!

Bahlor

Thanks for all the suggestions, will try to get them in there as soon as possible.

It has been posted on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/vita/comments/3byud9/psn_20_betterpsn_time_for_a_better_psn_for_a/

I'm really experiencing a lot of load since around 2 hours... we got more traffic already than the whole last day.

We also had a lot more visitors yesterday as PSN went down for a short amount of time. Not that this is a good thing, but for this purpose quite well suited.

Additionally, some stats of #BetterPSN

june3.png

(03.07.2015)

EDIT: We also got over 1.000 votes now. :)
EDIT2: Over 1.000 visitors in the last hours... there has always been traffic with 10+ users the last hours... awesome :)

Aurizen

Thanks for all the suggestions, will try to get them in there as soon as possible.

It has been posted on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/vita/comments/3byud9/psn_20_betterpsn_time_for_a_better_psn_for_a/

I'm really experiencing a lot of load since around 2 hours... we got more traffic already than the whole last day.

We also had a lot more visitors yesterday as PSN went down for a short amount of time. Not that this is a good thing, but for this purpose quite well suited.

Additionally, some stats of #BetterPSN

june3.png

(03.07.2015)

EDIT: We also got over 1.000 votes now. :)
EDIT2: Over 1.000 visitors in the last hours... there has always been traffic with 10+ users the last hours... awesome :)
Thanks so much! for all your work!

etta

my hard graphic balls
Added psaddict.gr and areagames.de to the OP. Thanks, Bahlor.

I wish someone huge in NA would cover it, like IGN :(

Bahlor

Sry my fault. Should have written a pm. Was adding this add work via a small interface and as NeoGAF was down I totally forgot this.

There are also 2-3 new suggestions. It's now a total of 38 suggestions. I could create an gaf bbcode export if this helps you?

etta

my hard graphic balls
Sry my fault. Should have written a pm. Was adding this add work via a small interface and as NeoGAF was down I totally forgot this.

There are also 2-3 new suggestions. It's now a total of 38 suggestions. I could create an gaf bbcode export if this helps you?

It's fine, no need for PM every time an article pops up. Which are the new suggestions? Are they PSN related or more PS4 related?
Auto-resume downloads and tenure badges?

etta

my hard graphic balls
Not totally sure, I'm on the run and only tinkered a quick export for bbcode. http://www.betterpsn.com/bbexport.php
or without bold
http://www.betterpsn.com/bbexport.php?nobold

Hmm, not sure if I agree with the "Rentable servers for when the official ones go down", wouldn't that set a precedent and incentivize them to take their servers down faster, and then when consumers complain that they just bought MLB 14 last year, why are the servers already down, they will just say "Well, here now you can buy servers." I mean, we already have to pay for online on top of the game purchase, it would suck to pay for servers on top of the online and game fee.

Also this, "View newly achieved trophies in-game", I think this is more PS4 OS related than PSN.

Bahlor

Hmm, not sure if I agree with the "Rentable servers for when the official ones go down", wouldn't that set a precedent and incentivize them to take their servers down faster, and then when consumers complain that they just bought MLB 14 last year, why are the servers already down, they will just say "Well, here now you can buy servers." I mean, we already have to pay for online on top of the game purchase, it would suck to pay for servers on top of the online and game fee.

Didn't think of this actually... just remembers me buying Mag a month before the servers went down and was quite angry. Ya should have informed me I know^^ But I really liked the game and I wish I had been able to rent those servers back then.

Guess this is a bit problematic, it has a great value but could also lead that publishers / developers misuse this feature. But aren't Battlefield games already working like this except that you're able to rent them while the game is still active? What happens when they shutdown the service, are we still able to rent them to player after the official servers have gone?

etta

my hard graphic balls
Didn't think of this actually... just remembers me buying Mag a month before the servers went down and was quite angry. Ya should have informed me I know^^ But I really liked the game and I wish I had been able to rent those servers back then.

Guess this is a bit problematic, it has a great value but could also lead that publishers / developers misuse this feature. But aren't Battlefield games already working like this except that you're able to rent them while the game is still active? What happens when they shutdown the service, are we still able to rent them to player after the official servers have gone?

Not sure what happens to the rented servers when BF4 official servers go down. It's a good feature to have I guess, but I am conflicted because it could set that precedent of paying three times to access one product.

Aurizen

Yeah I was hoping IGN would post something but I guess they don't want to make sony mad. But they surely jumped quickly when PSN was down. :/

I was hoping Gamespot, or The Verge would cover it too.

Windam

Scaley member
All I want is two-factor authentication and better download speeds. Download speeds are atrocious, even when connected via an ethernet cable.

Aurizen

Can someone expand on the idea of the Two-factor authentication? I spoke with a friend and he explained how that isn't need because Sony possibly has our information encrypted with private keys.

Bahlor

I'm honestly surprised my Reddit thread is the first thread on this PSN 2.0/BetterPSN

True, especially since it earned quite a lot of attention.

Can someone expand on the idea of the Two-factor authentication? I spoke with a friend and he explained how that isn't need because Sony possibly has our information encrypted with private keys.

Not sure about this. Two-Factor authentication became a standard for online shops for a reason, it just adds a lot to security. You can do almost everything without logging in again, but right before you can access critical information you have to re-enter your account data as additional security step. Private keys need to be generated on the client side and be paired with the backend. As long as an encryption is not a one-side encryption it can be decoded and as this is information that can be accessed and outputted, this is not being used here.

With psn store being accessible on every console and normal web store, this just has to be implemented. It adds so much to security :-/

Aurizen

True, especially since it earned quite a lot of attention.

Not sure about this. Two-Factor authentication became a standard for online shops for a reason, it just adds a lot to security. You can do almost everything without logging in again, but right before you can access critical information you have to re-enter your account data as additional security step. Private keys need to be generated on the client side and be paired with the backend. As long as an encryption is not a one-side encryption it can be decoded and as this is information that can be accessed and outputted, this is not being used here.

With psn store being accessible on every console and normal web store, this just has to be implemented. It adds so much to security :-/
Ah I see, we'll maybe Sony really will implement this PS4 3.0 is coming soon so hopefully this is coming. We should keep this thread a live for as long as we can. Hopefully more people will write articles about this. I sent a tip to IGN and The Verge but no luck.

etta

my hard graphic balls

Two-factor authentication is basically two steps to login. You login first with your email/username and password, then the system sends a code to you email/phone. That code expires fast and you need to input it as the second step. This makes it basically useless for people to hack your account because they would need to steal your phone or hack your email account too.

Bahlor

Two-factor authentication is basically two steps to login. You login first with your email/username and password, then the system sends a code to you email/phone. That code expires fast and you need to input it as the second step. This makes it basically useless for people to hack your account because they would need to steal your phone or hack your email account too.

Ouch... how embarrassing... of course it is the correct description of Two-Factor authentication... just forget whatever I said about it

Aurizen

I see, I'll bring that up to my friend. Even banks use it!

Bahlor

Weren't they jailed?

Heard of some, but guess there will always some idiots who think it is cool and means you're a hacker if you can DDoS a network :-/ Just noticed that PSN is really having a lot more issues lately and as NeoGAF was also down due to an DDoS attack I thought there might be a new group that thinks it's cool...

greyskull

I'm surprised at how far Sony has made it with medicore hardware infrastructure and overall software experience.

It can't really be compared to Microsoft since that's their whole business, but damn.

Aurizen

Weren't they jailed?

Heard of some, but guess there will always some idiots who think it is cool and means you're a hacker if you can DDoS a network :-/ Just noticed that PSN is really having a lot more issues lately and as NeoGAF was also down due to an DDoS attack I thought there might be a new group that thinks it's cool...

I'm surprised at how far Sony has made it with medicore hardware infrastructure and overall software experience.

It can't really be compared to Microsoft since that's their whole business, but damn.

I would feel bad if we're responsible for the PSN being down.. Or maybe our campaign caught attention of hackers..

etta

my hard graphic balls
Doubtful, but responsibility falls at the feet of the criminals if they commit a crime, no one else.

Klossen

Banned
Unfortunately, it will never happen because Sony incurs costs when people download patches off their servers. The only way they can be sure that those people own the game is to only allow them to download the patch once the disc is in.
Why would anyone download patches for games they don't even own?

Bahlor

I would feel bad if we're responsible for the PSN being down.. Or maybe our campaign caught attention of hackers..

Nah this is very unlikely. Wouldn't lose a thought about this as we're not responsible for this in any way.

Why would anyone download patches for games they don't even own?

Well pretty easy... example: You ordered Elder Scrolls Online and know there is a day 1 16 Gbyte patch, wouldn't you like to download this before you have the game or would you find it better as it is right now... get the game, install it and then download 16 Gbyte with the wonderful amount of download speed PSN sometimes delivers :-/

Would also reduce load of new games as some might have already loaded the updates before the game is actually out.

Klossen

Banned
It doesn't matter. As a business you try to minimize costs, especially when there's no harm in doing so.
Minimizing costs is precisely why PSN is such a mess. If this is about Sony minimizing costs rather than making a PSN better for the end user, then what's the point of this thread? Everything suggested in this thread would require an investment to implement. And downloading a patch beforehand is really important for people on slow lines or hit by PSN's in general terrible download speeds. Nobody thinks downloading patches for games they don't own is fun.

@Bahlor, I was referring to games a user had no intention of ever buying.

Bahlor

Minimizing costs is precisely why PSN is such a mess. If this is about Sony minimizing costs rather than making a PSN better for the end user, then what's the point of this thread? Everything suggested in this thread would require an investment to implement. And downloading a patch beforehand is really important for people on slow lines or hit by PSN's in general terrible download speeds. Nobody thinks downloading patches for games they don't own is fun.

Oh I'm sorry I did misread this then. But true, almost everything needs an investment from Sony. The question is: "One" time or monthly investment.

An enhancement of psn in general might be a lot cheaper than a fixed amount of money they need to invest monthly. In my opinion this would be a big benefit, it would really make life easier for people and reduce the load of games and releases of new games are often a mess and result in a dead psn at the moment :(

etta

my hard graphic balls

Because I tried to remain realistic. For that same reason I did not include free multiplayer, because it's not going to happen, not as long as Xbox does it. Letting people use it's bandwidth for free without confirming those people need to use the bandwidth will never happen. The other things on the list can happen, and they do happen on other services.

Bahlor

Because I tried to remain realistic. For that same reason I did not include free multiplayer, because it's not going to happen, not as long as Xbox does it. Letting people use it's bandwidth for free without confirming those people need to use the bandwidth will never happen. The other things on the list can happen, and they do happen on other services.

I don't know I think it is actually a pretty realistic suggestion. People that would download those patches would need them anyway. I don't think anyone would download them out of fun.

Klossen

Banned
Because I tried to remain realistic. For that same reason I did not include free multiplayer, because it's not going to happen, not as long as Xbox does it. Letting people use it's servers for free without confirming those people need to use the servers will never happen. The other things on the list can happen, and they do happen on other services.
Free multiplayer don't happen on other services? Also, difference here being that a patch isn't downloaded in 200kb/s on other services. This thread is too lenient with the shit PSN gets away with.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I don't know I think it is actually a pretty realistic suggestion. People that would download those patches would need them anyway. I don't think anyone would download them out of fun.
Yes, but from their perspective they can minimize those costs because they are not needed. The only reason they would do it is to gain an edge, to say "Hey look, guys, our service has this feature that no one else has", and this doesn't need to happen, they can be just as good as the other services and that will be enough. This is something that Xbox would be more likely to do to win customers, since they are in second place.

Free multiplayer don't happen on other services? Also, difference here being that a patch isn't downloaded in 200kb/s on other services. This thread is too lenient with the shit PSN gets away with.
What other console does free multiplayer and sells boatloads when Call of Duty releases? I know what you are saying, but first PSN needs to match the other services before it starts innovating.

Klossen

Banned
Yes, but from their perspective they can minimize those costs because they are not needed. The only reason they would do it is to gain an edge, to say "Hey look, guys, our service has this feature that no one else has", and this doesn't need to happen, they can be just as gopd as the other services and that will be enough.

What other console does free multiplayer and sells boatloads when Call of Duty releases? I know what you are saying, but first PSN needs to match the other services before it starts innovating.
But PSN isn't as good as other services, despite being the most expensive. Downloading patches beforehand would ease a problem that is exclusive to PSN, incredibly slow download speeds. It's pretty realistic and reasonable suggestion.

etta

my hard graphic balls
But PSN isn't as good as other services, despite being the most expensive. Downloading patches beforehand would ease a problem that is exclusive to PSN, incredibly slow download speeds. It's pretty realistic and reasonable suggestion.
First they need to fix their speeds before starting to add features like these. It's like "learning to crawl before walking" type of situation.

cormack12

Gold Member
Kickstarters for PSN ideas. Fund a contractor to come in and code the feature for Sony. Doesn't cost Sony money (plus they can still deliver their stability updates) and the community gets what they want. Win-win.

Day rate of about £600 a day, a month to implement smaller features = £12k-ish. Am sure most of the features here could easily have kickstarters funded within a week.

Obviously, Sony should continue working on updates anyway, but it would be nice to have the option to do this.

Bahlor

First they need to fix their speeds before starting to add features like these. It's like "learning to crawl before walking" type of situation.

This would be true if we talk about a feature that doesn't exist yet. But at the end all they would need is an additional button at the store to trigger the download of updates. If you purchase a game digitally or install it by disc, this gets already triggered anyway. That might be a very easy and inexpensive way to reduce load and give psn an additional feature to advertise. (They could add it as exclusive feature for PSN+)

Henrar

1. Implement wishlists
2. No stupid region-locks and no regionalized-only versions on Store. I want to download English versions of all games that are available in my country. That includes not only new purchases but also old ones
3. Faster download speeds
4. Ability to sort download list by names of the games. Search function would also be great
5. Stability ( :v ) -> if I browse my download list I don't want to be disconnected because of stupid time-outs and it happens a lot to me.
6. More US and JP PS Classics on the store (see 2.)
7. Two factor authorization
8. Ability to change IDs. I would even pay for it.
9. More cloud storage.

Top Bottom