• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN 2.0: What should it be like? (Twitter #BetterPSN)

Bahlor

Let's do this! I'm so sick of the pathetic download speeds. It's even more ridiculous when they are calling the PS4 multiplayer "NEXT-GEN Multplayer".

Pretty much this... they always talk about how big and stable their network is, but in comparison it just lacks of speed and quite a few other features. In times of Steam (soooo fast) and 15 Gbyte day 1 updates we deserve better file servers...

What I ask myself... I always hear everyone scream and there are so many shitstorms because of PSN, but why isn't this topic more popular around the web? There definitely is a demand for a better PSN. As Sony is a technology company I trust them totally that they can do it, they just have to...

SSReborn

Oh I wanna add a very minor thing as a lot of great stuff has already been mentioned.

For the ps store I really wish there was a button I could press like L1 or R1 to zoom fullscreen into the videos playing in those panels. Sometimes I'll see a trailer for a game I didn't know about and then I have to watch in that tiny panel which isn't optimal.

Paganmoon

This topic sort of petered off didn't it? I mean the topic about getting BC on the PS4 (which is never going to happen), is already larger. Strange.

etta

my hard graphic balls
This topic sort of petered off didn't it? I mean the topic about getting BC on the PS4 (which is never going to happen), is already larger. Strange.
Yea, interest kinda died off here. Eurogamer and VG247 Italy covered the topic, but no one big picked it up after.

iBlue

Account region change. I'm emigrating in 18 months and I want my old purchases to remain on my account. This goes for all digital stores. I'm going to have the same hassle with Apple.

This, i am going to Canada tomorrow and staying there for a while. Microsoft already let's you change your account region so where you at Sony?

Bahlor

It really is, especially if you consider how many people are always complaining about psn. But well, we can try and push it a bit further. :) Thanks to Aurizen for the page "keyhole.co" we got some interested stats of this campaign.

june.png

And this is based on sample data, so not everything included as the real stats cost monthly.

And if you have a look at the #BetterPSN tag on Twitter, you can see that there really is a demand, it just didn't spread enough yet. Press support would be really helpful :-/

Better quality images and videos on the PS Store are a must.

There's no point of them being there if they are rubbish quality, just makes me choose not to buy the game.

stryke

There's no point of them being there if they are rubbish quality, just makes me choose not to buy the game.

Yeah, the quality is terrible. They should just embed the YouTube videos if they want to save their own bandwidth or something.

And speaking just in general about PSN, I have a suspicion that there's so much legacy stuff in the back end of the infrastructure to deal with that it's hard to implement changes at a quicker pace without breaking it. Although I'm equally willing believe they're being resistant because they simply think they can.

Paganmoon

It really is, especially if you consider how many people are always complaining about psn. But well, we can try and push it a bit further. :) Thanks to Aurizen for the page "keyhole.co" we got some interested stats of this campaign.

june.png

And this is based on sample data, so not everything included as the real stats cost monthly.

And if you have a look at the #BetterPSN tag on Twitter, you can see that there really is a demand, it just didn't spread enough yet. Press support would be really helpful :-/

Last post on #BetterPSN is from yesterday I think though. As you say, with the amount of complaining you'd think this really would take off.

I can't help but think a lot of the issues would get solved by more CDN's. I wonder if it's something that might get better with PS Now being deployed on a wider scale, as it in itself should need some datacenter infrastructure, and with that in place, it shouldn't be too hard to get more CDN's and bandwidth, and with CDN's comes storage as well.

Bahlor

Thanks, added to the list. But you can now also add new improvements by yourself. (But they're moderated to prevent spam or not fitting content like os related things. at least for now)

Last post on #BetterPSN is from yesterday I think though. As you say, with the amount of complaining you'd think this really would take off.

Actually not, there have been some tweets today. Did you check top tweets or live on twitter?

fuck peer to peer, give us servers that we can rent right from the PS Store. Long after official servers are taken down we can rent them to keep the game going.

Ditch PS+ subscription to play online.

Bahlor

Went by the "live twitter feed" on the betterpsn webpage.

Edit: Ahh, the twitter feed has broken timestamps.

Whoops... guess I'll have to work on that caching algo when I come home from work^^

fuck peer to peer, give us servers that we can rent right from the PS Store. Long after official servers are taken down we can rent them to keep the game going.

Ditch PS+ subscription to play online.

Awesome idea about those rentable servers and I think this would really have an impact.

As for PS+ and online... I think it's ok as it is. If they work on PSN I'm totally fine with this.

Walpurgis

Banned
Whoops... guess I'll have to work on that caching algo when I come home from work^^

Awesome idea about those rentable servers and I think this would really have an impact.

As for PS+ and online... I think it's ok as it is. If they work on PSN I'm totally fine with this.

I want better games on PS+ like we had last gen. The PS4 games are almost always bad and the PS3 ones used to be way better. I think the only way this could happen is by making online free again so Sony would have to actually work for our $50. In fact, if they made online free again, I wouldn't even be asking for a better PSN because what we have right now is already at the quality that I would expect of a free service.

PSN Improvements
Better/more CDN's with universally consistent speeds that are competitive with Live/Steam/Origin...etc
Free, unlimited (or at least significantly increased in size) cloud storage for saves, as well as a family account feature set for saves (no need for sub accounts), auto-sync save files as they are modified
Username changing along with a username history system in the user's profile page
Behind the scenes (less disruptive) maintenance
Cloud storage for screenshots, especially trophy screenshots (maybe recordings too if 30 sec or less?)

PS Store Improvements
Fix bug that prevents users from accessing the Store in certain situations, needing a reboot
Up-to-date digital titles (fully patched when downloading post-launch)
Store wishlist, gifting system (cross-region gifting?)
Correctly tagged games in the store
Refined Store navigation, design, fluidity/polish and organization
Refund system similar to Steam's
Enhanced Store game pages, include user reviews, make screenshots/videos standard for all titles
Purchase and management of PS Vita downloads through the PS4 Store

Account/Profile Improvements
Continuous trophy syncing
Online/offline status
Better friends list functionality with nicknames, grouping by categories (games, relationship), and VIP tags tied to the notification system
Enhanced user profile page showing favorite games, screenshots/recordings, game wishlist, deeper activity sections (game statistics)
Account region change
Deeper social integration (G+, Facebook, Twitter...etc)
Viewing friends' online statuses across PS3, PS4, and PSV

Security Improvements
Two-factor authentication
Improved account recovery process

General usability Improvements
Search function, better organization and filters for download history/library
Universal game invites
Direct developer/players interaction, statuses, in the game hubs
Custom avatars (purchasable or own uploaded via PS app)
Refined activity feed (What's On section), fix a bug where playing a game post-patch showing as if it was the first time you've played it
Share notification for recordings/broadcasts
Message system refinement

Would love these and a lot of the other suggestions, especially the online/offline status. Something Shu promoted/stated before the ps4 launched ffs.

Reiterating a lot of things others have said:

Wishlists. I want to be able to track games I'm interested in, and preferably be alerted if they're on sale.

Faster download speed would be good; especially wirelessly.

The ability to gift games would be great; especially if they make it cross-region.

The ability to get a refund if the game is broken shit (like that CryEngine MMO Wander that came out a month or two ago, or any poor bastard who actually spent money on Tower of Guns)

Also, I'd really like more detail on games I have been playing - maybe a quick pop-up box with similar information to this:

05:27 (time spent playing - hours and minutes; I think seconds is a little too specific)
22% (trophy completion)
16 (number of friends who've also played it - it does show this, but it's a bit random and I want more info)
Game URL
Other stuff maybe

Then you're able to click on each row of information and get more detail - i.e. time spent playing takes you to date first played, date last played, total number of different sessions launched, and so on.

Unlimited cloud saves are a must. At the very least 20gb.

But FOR THE LOVE OF GOD please give me the option to have notifications when a friend comes online! Bonus points for being able to filter who we get these notifications for!

And continuous trophy syncing. Needing to enter the app to sync is just archaic.

CHC

Glad that this is becoming a "formal" campaign because PSN does kind of suck.

I'll reiterate the following:

• Download speeds are inconsistent (if not consistently bad)
  • We need sorting options (for games, most of all, but also for friends, media, etc). Just let us make some damn folders or something.
  • Wishlist function for the store
  • More cloud storage, what's given may have been generous in 2009 or whatever, but it doesn't cut it now
  • Better screenshot options (uncompressed)

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Account region change. I'm emigrating in 18 months and I want my old purchases to remain on my account. This goes for all digital stores. I'm going to have the same hassle with Apple.

OT but Apple allows migrations. Just add a payment method from your new region and its done. You keep all your purchase history.

I've migrated my Apple ID 3 times over the years.

Epcott

Appear offline.

I hate getting notifications while watching a show or movie, but don't want to have to keep setting turn on/turn off notifications when I get back to gaming. Or have Appear Offline during some apps like HBOgo and Netflix.

Also, the ability to turn the controller light COMPLETELY OFF! Please!

masteratt

These have probably been mentioned but think of this list as +1 / more demand for the following:

Improve Refunding Infrastructure
In the age of Google Play, where you go back to the app's store page and have a button called Refund that is active for 2 hours after purchase and refunds you automatically no questions asked. Or Steam with <2 hours of play then send a refund ticket to get refund.
PSN is looking ancient with its current almost non existent refund 'system'.

Gift Games to people on your friends list
Pretty self explanatory.

Wishlist
Be notified (using the PlayStation's official announcement notification and mobile app push notifications) when an item on wishlist drops in price.

And of course,

Use the PS+ money for beefier back-end
I have to manually throttle the Steam download because it literally uses every kb of my internet (love it for it). While PSN download speeds are just, well, embarrassing (and infuriating), to put it kindly.

Sony made a HUGE leap in network quality and features this gen. So my list of wants is rather minimal.

- Better whats new section, maybe something more akin to XBL activity feed?

- Appear offline/change gamer id (basically stronger account management)

- Background maintenance cycles.

DryvBy

Outside of accurate speeds from my internet, my biggest wants are as follows and mostly covered in the OP.

-Wish List: I have a Google Doc I setup with links to the store for games I want.
-Gifting: Such an easy way to generate money for them.
-PS1/PS2 emulation: This includes disc and digital. Self-explained.
-PS Now Update: This still needs work (and I think fixing the internet speeds would do it) but I'd love to be able to "own" games in PS Now. For example, if I own a digital copy of a game on my profile, it should just be unlocked in PS Now. This is the best way BC is going to work on the PS4 for PS3 games imo.
-Access to different regional stores: When the Yakuza 0 demo hit, I finally broke down and created a Japanese account to play it. I'd love to be able to buy some of their PSN games and have it tied to my main account. The system is already region free so it'd be nice to be region free digitally too.
-Trophy Leaderboards: GAF already has a nice user keeping up with this (and I've been dropping in ranks due to the WWE Network). It would be cool to have a leaderboard per week or month for people that like leaderboards and trophies.
-Favorites in Friend's List: A must! I have a lot of you GAF members in my friend's list and while I enjoy having you all on there, there's specific people I want to find and send messages too more quickly. Or have it notify me when they're on.
-Screenshots: Two things I want from this. One, let me upload a PNG or something. The compression looks horrible sometimes! And two, like Steam I'd like to upload them to a server with maybe a limit of a couple of GBs. That way friend's can cycle through screenshots or comment on them if they'd like.
-Updated Profile: I love Steam's profile system and I'd really like a major overhaul on the profile. I want the ability to display my top 5 rarest trophies. I want to be able to display my 5 favorite games. I want to also have a profile theme based on a game I've played. If you don't know what I mean, it would be like Steam's profile which is what I'm basing this on. When someone goes to my profile, it has a game theme tied to it. I just really want my profile as customizable as
-Platinum Trophies: To give a bigger incentive to get platinum trophies, it would be cool if you unlocked something for having them. Coupons? Themes? I dunno. Just something. It would also be cool if it had a leaderboard tied in with them at minimum. Show who got it first in your friend's list.
-YouTube Streaming: Like Twitch, only a new option.
-Snap Apps: My brother has an Xbox One and one of the coolest things is how you can snap things to the screen while you play games. I know several of my friends would like to snap in the corner a stream of what I'm playing while they play a game.

Aurizen

We should also post images/video with the hashtag to show what the speed issue is with a comparison shot between Steam vs PS4 and X1 vs PS4.

If anyone is from IGN or Gamespot it would be great if they could get the word out too.

Ability to change region/PSN ID has to be a priority, it's 2015 and these simple conveinces are still not there, ridiculous in my opinion.

Using screenshots, edit them, resize, focus, colour palette in Share Factory, you can have them as your profile avatar would be nice. There is no avatars on the PS4 section of the store for some reason.

Bahlor

So many great suggestions awesome! And I'm quite surprised that there is almost not a moment where nobody is on the website. Almost all the time 2-3 persons at least at 40 at most at the same time.

Question: I'm still at work, would someone gather all psn related suggestions from the last 2 pages and post them on the website as new suggestion, if they're not already in there. Would be a big help.

We should also post images/video with the hashtag to show what the speed issue is with a comparison shot between Steam vs PS4 and X1 vs PS4.

If anyone is from IGN or Gamespot it would be great if they could get the word out too.

I'm quite sure there are people from both sites here. excaliburps is from playstationlifestyle.

kcurlsjr

Neo Member
Allow for 2 PS4s to be "primary" consoles simultaneously.

The change in approach to game sharing from PS3 to Ps4 was a step backwards for two-PS4 households. Yes, both my fiancée and I can play the titles we buy from the PSN store, but one of us will always be tied to a single console. Ideally, we should both be able to play a game from either machine in our home.

wilflare

we can add some of the ideas from the old thread from two years back!

PS4: The requested features that need to happen: Region switching & PSN ID changing - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=587586

EDIT: this is quoted from the thread 2 years ago... some features are already implemented by Sony
just thought of more to add/edit

(1) Change ID
(2) Change Region
(3) Unified Store
(4) Download List filters
(5) Wish list
(6) Gifting
(7) Trophies/Game List management
(8) Sub to Master account upgrade
(9) Unified DLC (no region-specific DLC)
(10) Option to interchange between X/O as Accept/Cancel

MistBreeze

Realy you guys mentioned every thing' but i thought of simple things like:

1. Friends notifications ( which requires group managements for friends ).

2. Messages breifing appears in messages notifications ( just like mobile phones ) this was also in ps3 before and it was helpful.

3. Home page custumization ( means pin apps, library sorting options, favourite friend to follow updates in home page, add purchased like iphone etc)

4 make store maior overhawl to become part of the os. It is know feels like a separate app.

5. There is a minor cosmetic thing but themes feels know in complete because in most themes you can see flow theme inside menus and when ps4 on or off ( it needs to be complete change ).

6. Also a fellow Gaffer mentioned something simple but very intuetive, is to make 15 seconds video clip for trophies instead of screenshots - screenshots are useless for trophies -.

7. Friends universal invites outside parties ( xbox 360 style invite is the best ).

Bahlor

Nice. Is there going to be a section with features that have been implemented? Also, maybe if something people are requesting is really implemented, maybe a link to explain how it is implemented if it's not obvious?

Yes there is already functionality implemented to allow this. But also moderated. An implemented task is listed on a seperated page and has more detailed information about its implementation on its detail page. (Added in which version and potential WYSIWYG text to add some info) But for now there is no task implemented :(

Mengetsu

Allow for 2 PS4s to be "primary" consoles simultaneously.

The change in approach to game sharing from PS3 to Ps4 was a step backwards for two-PS4 households. Yes, both my fiancée and I can play the titles we buy from the PSN store, but one of us will always be tied to a single console. Ideally, we should both be able to play a game from either machine in our home.
This please! The PS3 did this fine. I understand most exploited it with sharing multiple games and betas but there has to be a better way :(

Bahlor

This please! The PS3 did this fine. I understand most exploited it with sharing multiple games and betas but there has to be a better way :(

Having the same problem, we also have to playstation 4 consoles over here. I know you can still buy it only one time digital and just switch the consoles, but it's quite uncomfortable for no reason. Wouldn't it be possible to make some kind of ip based arrangement for more than one primary console? Like the secondary console can only work as second "primary" within the same local network range?

Bahlor

One suggestion:

Look at Steam and copy that. The template is already there. Just do it.

Related to server infrastructure? Refunding policy? I don't know why but something always feels wrong with Steam. Sure infrastructure etc. is great, but especially the shop itself just doesn't feel right. But that's maybe just me^^

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I haven't noticed it posted with a quick read of the topic. But I what I would love is on a games page on the store is the ability to download the patch for it whether it is installed or not. This would be a life saver come release day for physical games, downloading a slow 15gb patch for ESO for instance was ridiculous, it would be a great feature to have.

Andrefpvs

I haven't noticed it posted with a quick read of the topic. But I what I would love is on a games page on the store is the ability to download the patch for it whether it is installed or not. This would be a life saver come release day for physical games, downloading a slow 15gb patch for ESO for instance was ridiculous, it would be a great feature to have.

Hmm, putting the option to download the latest patch on the game's store page is actually a very good idea, since most games already have a page on the store anyway for digital pre-orders.

etta

my hard graphic balls

Hmm, putting the option to download the latest patch on the game's store page is actually a very good idea, since most games already have a page on the store anyway for digital pre-orders.

Unfortunately, it will never happen because Sony incurs costs when people download patches off their servers. The only way they can be sure that those people own the game is to only allow them to download the patch once the disc is in.

Top Bottom