• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Content 02/28/08

WiCkEd_Co

jakershaker said:
Well lack of new stuff finally gave me an excuse to dowload Everyday Shooter, seems nice so far but it's no Stardust.

Also in a weak moment I clicked on the Buy Now for Sky Diving, needless to say it was a big mistake :/

I was the same way when the Xbox arcade first started, I look at the games I bought then and think to myself, What the hell was I thinking. So now with psn I force myself to wait, Even tho I bought Championship Sprint when I was drunk. Its better than getting some random girl pregnant <----that's what tell myself to justify the purchase.

tanod

when is my burrito
jvm said:
Doing fine here.

I had to sign out and sign back in and now it works.

I think the Home beta was causing issues because it kept stopping in the middle of the updates I was trying to download last night.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Has anybody received the PlayStation Store update email?

Just got it.

Coming Soon:

Rocketmen: Axis of Evil Demo
Join Nick Sion, Alec Mink and the rest of the Alliance of Free Planets in their white-knuckled, frenzied struggle to free the Solar System from the tyrannical grip of Lord Invictus and the Legion of Terra! With its distinctive cel-shaded art style, engaging storyline, RPG elements and non-stop action, this shooter promises to keep players coming back for more!

Riddler

There's some MGS4 media and wallpaper up on the JPN PSN that just went up.

Didnt see this mentioned and if so sorry.

FirewalkR

The two TGS trailers (MGS4 and MGO) and the wallpaper with the latest artwork. It's in the What's New section, I didn't spot them at first.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
All this time I thought the Rocketmen game by Capcom was called "Rockman".

And I thought it was some download only version of a new Megaman adventure.

And then I clicked the media link above.

Azrael

So basically nothing this week, a new PSOne game + fl0w PSP + Rocketmen next week. They should be pacing their content releases better than that.

Dante

FightyF said:
Am I the only one who wished some of this extra PAIN stuff was free to justify the purchase of the game?

No, I'm waiting for the PAIN director to post again on the blog so I can complain. I mean they should give us some of these add ons for free, I don't think the core game is compelling enough to plunk down more money on DLC.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
FightyF said:
Am I the only one who wished some of this extra PAIN stuff was free to justify the purchase of the game?

It'd be nice... spending $10 on the game is all I wanted to spend...

Azrael

Dr. Zoidberg said:
Since you seem to know this, can you expound on the WHY of the situation? ATM, I can't think of a reason that I would believe other than it's simply their choice to do this.

I'd guess it's because Sony seems to only do a major update of the PSP store on a biweekly basis, and they like to have the PSP games put on the PS3 and PSP stores at the same time. Until the PSP store ramps up, it's unlikely to improve.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
As I expected, a game is coming to the PSN Next week.

http://blog.capcom.com/archives/964

We’re initiating launch sequence on sending Rocketmen out into the wide world of XBLA (March 5th) and PSN (March 6th). Here’s the official line on the game:

Join Nick Sion, Alec Mink and the Alliance of Free Planets in their white-knuckled, frenzied struggle to free the Solar System from the tyrannical grip of the Legion of Terra! Rocketmen®: Axis of Evil provides non-stop multiplayer action with role-playing game elements, including customizable characters and an engaging story, all wrapped in the game’s distinctive cel-shaded art style. Play with up to four players in co-op mode and blast anything that moves.

Think multiplayer Robotron-style run+shoot, with 10x the bullets, bosses, full character customization, a crazy amount of gameplay, and an actual story. A funny one even.

If you don’t believe me, check out the Rocketmen webisodes. As encouragement, we’re running a little contest. Watch the webisodes and get into the Rocketmen universe. If you can tell me what Nick Scion is eating during the Venusian wrestling match, send in your answer to contest@capcom.com. We’ll draw a winner at random from all correct entries and get you a free copy of the game.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Hey look, a new game announced for the PSN.

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/02/29/n-coming-to-psn-but-itll-take-a-while/

N+ coming to PSN, but it'll take 'a while'

Posted Feb 29th 2008 3:00PM by Andrew Yoon

In an interview with PSP Fanboy, N+ creators Metanet confirmed a PSN version of N+ (recently released on Xbox 360) is definitely in the works. However, it will not appear on the service any time soon. "Yes, however due to an exclusivity clause in our XBLA contract, it may not be for a while."

A producer at Atari noted that they are excited to work on PSN in the future. He pointed out the freedom developers have to create games on the Network. "The PSN has fewer restrictions on their incoming content (likely because it's struggling to catch up to the well-established XBLA) but again, on the PSN right now the indie designer has far more freedom to create the game that they imagine, whatever the size and shape." This kind of flexibility, we hope, is what will draw new exclusive content to the Network. We can't wait.

For those PSN Types wishing to learn more about N+, read this thread of mine.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=237172

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3166393

Seemingly (Sony couldn't confirm anything) on the way this spring to PSN and PSP (the latter of which hasn't technically been announced for the U.S., but has a Japanese date in March), Echochrome is coming along conceptually, though the nuts and bolts still need some work. The basic game mechanics are dictated by five laws: Perspective Traveling, which essentially means that changing your perspective can create new paths; Perspective Landing, which ignores depth when moving from one height to another; Perspective Existence, which dictates that gaps don't exist if you can't see them (covered up by rotating pathways in front of them); Perspective Absence, similar to Existence, but ignoring obstacles and jump pads by covering them; and Perspective Jump, which allows jumps and falls to work on a 2D plane, landing on platforms that are lined up visually, regardless of depth.

It all makes more sense in practice, though it doesn't make getting through the levels any easier. A tutorial of each of these laws and three actual levels were on display for us to venture through, but it took a good five tries and a couchful of editors to best them. Part of the problem, currently, is that the game doesn't always seem to stick to its own laws; there's a frustrating sense of surprise when things don't unfold like you think they will based on what you understand of the game's reality. It doesn't have so much of a learning curve as a necessity to completely understand your options at all times and be able to find them within each level.

The other problem we experienced with this new build was an absolutely sluggish camera (it didn't feature any inversion options either, which didn't help the awkwardness). In a game that's about finding solutions, not the process of executing them, we expect fully responsive and intuitive controls. And considering that's really all you have control over, it needs to be perfectly polished by the time the game hits. You do have a few other options at hand to improve the navigation though: You can hold X to speed up time to retry mistakes more easily, or hit the Triangle button to enter a "Thinking" mode, which freezes time while you rotate the environment/camera (hard to tell which, really). It's actually a very useful tool, as pausing in between each movement and decision leads to much smoother progression through the levels.

As for the actual navigation and lining up of the paths you traverse, many pieces "snap" together when you're close to putting them together. It's a mixed blessing from what we experienced -- it takes the last step in fine-tuning precise movements you have in mind but also pulls your view into slight unwanted angles from time to time. The Circle button is assigned to "snap," which should theoretically toggle it off, but it didn't seem to be working and its function couldn't be confirmed for us at the time.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
2 New Screenshots of SOCOM: Confrontation emerge as EGM lives up to the rumors and plans a blow-out in next months issue.

socom1.jpg

socom2.jpg

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
State of Capcom’s Digital Union
March 3rd, 2008 Seth Killian

From Capcom’s Christian Svensson, Vice President of Strategic Planning & Business Development:

In the grand scheme of things, my hopes for Capcom’s “digital initiative” are still just getting started. There’s been a few fits and starts. Admittedly, some games are a bit later than we’d hoped (held back in the name of quality and feature improvement) but we’ve learned a ton about the space and we continue to learn more with every release. By and large, I’m really pleased with how we’re positioning ourselves, the quality of the content in our pipeline and our level of sales success to date. My fingers are crossed that it continues and thank you guys for your continued support. All of that said, I thought I’d call attention to a few major milestones that Capcom and our development partners have worked very hard to achieve (these guys really deserve a pat on the back):

–Highest Revenue Generating XBLA Title (still) - Street Fighter 2 Hyper Fighting

–First Cross-platform Simultaneous Digital Launch from Any Publisher (PSN/XBLA) - Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix

–First Third Party Published Game Content on the PSP PC Store – Harvey Birdman Demo

–First Third Party Published Content on the European PSN Store – SCEE tells us it will be Rocketmen

–First PS3 Title to Handle In-game Purchase/Conversion From Within a Demo - Rocketmen

–First Cross-platform Global Simultaneous Launch Maybe* (PSN/XBLA – Europe/NA/Asia) – Rocketmen

*We’re still trying to get a final date out of SCEE but Rocketmen was approved last week so we’re hoping it’ll go live with US and Asia on March 6th, failing that, I’m betting it’ll be the 13th.

While some of the above milestones have nominal impact to your experience as a consumer, the development and industry folks among you, I’m sure can recognize the importance and challenges inherent in reaching some of those achievements.

In a couple short weeks, you’re going to learn a good deal more about some new titles as well as updates on some of the titles you’ve been eagerly awaiting.

I honestly believe that Capcom is treating this space more seriously than any other third party publisher. The level of ambition in our titles as far as feature sets, target platforms and quality of execution (both from a product development and marketing standpoint) will continue to climb. You will see us giving ever increasing value to our fans as we move further and further out into our digital product roadmap.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
–First PS3 Title to Handle In-game Purchase/Conversion From Within a Demo - Rocketmen

Not true; Snakeball had it first. But yeah, Capcom is leading the way on both DL markets.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Wollan said:
Well, Resistance had it first (last June I believe) but among PSN titles it's SnakeBall I guess.

I think they mean the way you can transform a demo into the full game within the game itself, which is Snakeball. :)

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
chubigans said:
Not true; Snakeball had it first. But yeah, Capcom is leading the way on both DL markets.

Also, Tekken 5 was released beforehand, I guess SCEE published the game, but know you.

Also, I suggest reading between the lines here PSN Types, Capcom is saying something else, they are saying that Puzzle Fighter is apparently not coming before Rocketmen.

tanod

when is my burrito
Wollan said:
Pixeljunk Monster also had that feature I believe ('Unlock game').

Did Pixel Junk Racers come out before Snakeball because that had it too?

Still, bravo to Capcom. They make every other Japan-based developer look even more incompetent this gen than they already look.

kuYuri

chubigans said:

Didn't Super Puzzle Fighter HD have this option?

EDIT: Never mind, it's gimped and tells you to go to the PS Store to purchase it. :lol

Top Bottom