• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Content 02/28/08

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
PhlivoSong said:
XBLA took a pretty long time for development to catch up with the platform in terms of one release per week. I don't hold it against PSN... yet.
XBLA got their act together by the end of the first year, and MS had less in their back catalog to fall back on like Sony potentially has.

Here's a question: who owns the old Psygnosis stuff from the Amiga years? Does Sony have that? If so, my god! Don't sit on that. Perfect PSN fodder. Shadow of the Beast!

carlosp

Banned
gaehn.jpg

nofi

kaching said:
XBLA got their act together by the end of the first year, and MS had less in their back catalog to fall back on like Sony potentially has.

Here's a question: who owns the old Psygnosis stuff from the Amiga years? Does Sony have that? If so, my god! Don't sit on that. Perfect PSN fodder. Shadow of the Beast!

ARMOUR GEDDON.

That would be awesome over PSN.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
nofi said:
Because if a team like PixelJunk turns out 3 games a year (and that's fast) then there'd need to be 18 teams all working that fast just to keep up with the weekly one game, and PSN isn't there yet.

It's hardly rocket science.
I'm not saying it has to be a brand new game every week. Mix-in PSOne games, other retrogames, ports from other platforms. And Sony's largely go-it-alone policy with PSN games seems mostly self-imposed. They could reach out to game publishers a bit more than they seem to be. So there's no real rocket science to having achieved that kind of output by now either.

nofi

kaching said:
I'm not saying it has to be a brand new game every week. Mix-in PSOne games, other retrogames, ports from other platforms. And Sony's largely go-it-alone policy with PSN games seems mostly self-imposed. They could reach out to game publishers a bit more than they seem to be. So there's no real rocket science to having achieved that kind of output by now either.

No, you're right - there should be something each week. I remember the very Major Nelson podcast when he promised weekly Arcade games and it was bliss, Sony should at least be pushing the PS1 games as filler.

Jtrizzy

Dr. Zoidberg said:
Also, I want to take this opportunity to point out that the 1-day-a-week update policy only exacerbates the problem in people's minds. When content comes out whenever, people don't get nearly as hopeful (or as pissed).

Maybe they should change to once every two weeks. This is lame.

Jtrizzy said:
Maybe they should change to once every two weeks. This is lame.

My vote has always been to push content out whenever it's ready. That way there are lots of surprises and things to talk about unexpectedly, as well as far less meltdowns because a scheduled update is shamefully piss-poor.

mollipen

So, okay, teach me here: if I have a secondary Japanese account on my PS3, find some way to get it the monies, and then download the JPN PS1 Um Jammer Lammy, would my main US-account-tied login be able to play it? I haven't purchased any PS1 games yet, so I'm not sure if there would be an issue or not.

I still have my JPN copy of Lammy along with my US, and it'd be sweet to have a way to play said game on my US PS3, since back-compat is a no go.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
shidoshi said:
So, okay, teach me here: if I have a secondary Japanese account on my PS3, find some way to get it the monies, and then download the JPN PS1 Um Jammer Lammy, would my main US-account-tied login be able to play it? I haven't purchased any PS1 games yet, so I'm not sure if there would be an issue or not.

I still have my JPN copy of Lammy along with my US, and it'd be sweet to have a way to play said game on my US PS3, since back-compat is a no go.
Yes, they'll play on your main account just fine.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
kaching said:

This is something that has always baffled me about the PSN, the lack lack of third party development.

Jim

Synless said:
No Castlevania Chronicles!?!?!??!? DAMNIT!!!!!!!!!

As I've been saying, PS One classics will hit the store no more often than every other week at the moment (usually). Next week should be the next one.

Pimpwerx

I'll say it again. There needs to be one store. Games should have language tags so that titles get filtered by languages supported. If you speak french, only games with french language support will show. If you want a foreign-language game, just change the default language. The server localization can be done automatically based on IP address or just where the PS3 was registered. But there's no reason for this compartmentalization of the store when all we have to do is register an account in another region. It's pointless, and it's currently screwing over Sony's best territory, EU.

SCEE is run by complete idiots. The game dev branch over there is incredible, but management has their heads up their asses. The PS3's continued success is probably due more to irrational customer loyalty than actual merit. If SCEE's continued bungling of the PSN store continues, they deserve to see sales drop. Really, there's no excuse for it. PEACE.

nofi said:
Because if a team like PixelJunk turns out 3 games a year (and that's fast) then there'd need to be 18 teams all working that fast just to keep up with the weekly one game, and PSN isn't there yet.

It's hardly rocket science.

It's not fair that you use what sounds like the most boring game in the world (backgammon) to prove your point. There is a middle ground between having backgammon and Rez HD on a download service. It's not like every game released is either awesome or horrible.

XBLA has gotten to the point that I feel like I can be picky with what I buy because there is a lot of variety now. There is nothing wrong with having a selection, and having a selection doesn't instantly equate to everything sucks. That's a narrow argument to use.

There are plenty of above average games on XBLA that I had a hell of a lot of fun with, but wouldn't consider stellar games. In your world I never would have played them, because they weren't either proven to be Rez HD or backgammon.

Souther

Banned
Jim said:
As I've been saying, PS One classics will hit the store no more often than every other week at the moment (usually). Next week should be the next one.

Cool. Are we atleast going to perhaps see an rpg someday?(besides Wildarms)

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Woh, hey now, where is all this backgammon hatred coming from, what did this classic board game ever do to you guys?

emacs

???

what is the average age (and maturity) of people who typically contribute to this thread?! i never seen so much complaining on something (PSN updates) that really shouldn't impact people's lives. lesson learned: i'll just confine my reading to the first page of these types of threads.

Jim said:

Since you seem to know this, can you expound on the WHY of the situation? ATM, I can't think of a reason that I would believe other than it's simply their choice to do this.

nofi

PhlivoSong said:
It's not fair that you use what sounds like the most boring game in the world (backgammon) to prove your point. There is a middle ground between having backgammon and Rez HD on a download service. It's not like every game released is either awesome or horrible.

XBLA has gotten to the point that I feel like I can be picky with what I buy because there is a lot of variety now. There is nothing wrong with having a selection, and having a selection doesn't instantly equate to everything sucks. That's a narrow argument to use.

There are plenty of above average games on XBLA that I had a hell of a lot of fun with, but wouldn't consider stellar games. In your world I never would have played them, because they weren't either proven to be Rez HD or backgammon.

You quoted the wrong person.

Slacker

Shard said:
Woh, hey now, where is all this backgammon hatred coming from, what did this classic board game ever do to you guys?
I love Backgammon actually - I play online with my DS all the time. :D

I was just making a point that we probably could have new games every week if PSN was host to crappy Gameloft-type games. I'm happy with the strategy that they're going with, however. I'll take one PJM in exchange for 10 Popcap games on XBL (just my opinion, of course).

I would love to see more new stuff on the PSN, but I'm realistic about it. I don't expect a PJM level quality game every week, and don't see that happening for a long time.

I agree it'd be cool if they put out PS1 games on the slow weeks though (I couldn't care less about 'em, but someone does).

Synless

Jim said:
That would make sense and follow the trend....One more question though, was that list you posted here several weeks ago the only ps1 games announced for the U.S. so far????

tribal24

Banned
dankir said:
Where the fuck are the Wipeout HD trailers?? Who gives a fuck about Lost Planet?!@?@!

stop hating on lost planet!!! LOST PLANET DEFENSE force assemble!!! anyways no one brought lost planet on ps3 am i the olny one; ; wheres the official thread

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Slacker said:
I love Backgammon actually - I play online with my DS all the time. :D

I was just making a point that we probably could have new games every week if PSN was host to crappy Gameloft-type games. I'm happy with the strategy that they're going with, however. I'll take one PJM in exchange for 10 Popcap games on XBL (just my opinion, of course).

I would love to see more new stuff on the PSN, but I'm realistic about it. I don't expect a PJM level quality game every week, and don't see that happening for a long time.

I agree it'd be cool if they put out PS1 games on the slow weeks though (I couldn't care less about 'em, but someone does).

Odd that would bring up Gameloft since they ended up doing one of the best XBLA games to date, Prince of Persia Classic, but none the less I see your point (I am looking at you Brain Challenge)

Also, I suspect a lot PSN users would give their left nut for Peggle.

Anyway, yes PixelJunk Monsters is a damn fine game, but what do you while you wait for the next one, and why does it have to be "not for a long time?"

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
the irony is that I would have expected PSN releases to fill the gaps between retail PS3 releases, but in reality it's the other way around.

MadFuzzy

On the UK PSP store it looks like there's a new Patapon trailer in addition to the Wipeout Pulse Auricom pack which we knew about (it wasn't there earlier today).

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
BOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Thats 2 weeks in a row with dick all for pal, maybe they are trying to make an event out of this PSN store upgrade thing...

Ceb

We already knew this week would have pretty much nothing for the EU store. Next week is Pain, fl0w PSP and GoW: CoO demo. NA should get Dark Mist.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Dark Mist is actually a pretty long shot at thsi point, SCEA has not even confirmed will ever come to North America, SCEE has done that however.

Anyway, I bring you new news.

http://onaxis.blogspot.com/2008/02/orange-box-patch-coming-in-march.html

The Orange Box Patch Coming in March

A PSN@Home writer contacted EA today about a patch for the PLAYSTATION 3 version of The Orange Box, which is a bit inferior to the Xbox 360 & PC versions. He received a reply.

"Our engineers have finally provided details regarding the issue you are experiencing. Currently, this is a known issue and our engineering team are creating a patch which should resolve the issue. Unfortunately, the patch has yet to be tested and will be released sometime in March. Other issues will be addressed but unfortunately we do not have a list at this time. If you have anymore questions please feel free to respond back to this email or please visit our website and review our extensive Self Help Knowledgebase (http://support.ea.com). Have a great day!!!"

Well lets hope this patch coming in March addresses the issues we are experiencing while playing the game such as skipping frame rate, server disconnections and such.

Jaeyden

I'm just going to pretend that all the Megaton announcements this week were actually store content. Now it's not so bad. Here's to hoping next week is better.

so what's the deal with tax? I pay it one week and the next I don't. It's not even consistent as to what is being taxed as I went a long time with RB stuff not being taxed but it was taxed two weeks ago. Not this week, though. Everyday Shooter wasn't taxed but Super Stardust HD was. I live in Washington state where the Internet sales-tax is alive and well so I'm doubly confused.

Any ideas?

Well lack of new stuff finally gave me an excuse to dowload Everyday Shooter, seems nice so far but it's no Stardust.

Also in a weak moment I clicked on the Buy Now for Sky Diving, needless to say it was a big mistake :/

Top Bottom