• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN down due to unannounced maintenance?

The thing is everyone will have a different experience with PSN. Everytime I see a thread on it being down I check. This is the first time since the ddos it has been down for me.

Ah OK cool. Sorry to hear man. Luckily for me I am out this evening so it won't affect me, hopefully. fingers crossed it's back up soon for everyone

Heimbeck

Banned
Please tell me again why do i pay for this service?

-PlayStation 4 online multiplayer
-24 PS4 games a year for no extra cost
-Exclusive discounts at PlayStation Store
-Access to Share Play – so your friends can play your games even if they don’t own a copy themselves.
-10GB of cloud storage for your PS4 game saves

Dambrosi

Banned
I tried to download and install the dynamic Bloodborne theme I bought off JP PSN (I had a few hundred yen left after I bought Namco Museum Encore, so sue me), and I saw that it had a lock next to it. Clicked on it, the PS4 said it couldn't connect to the server to verify the license. I guess I now know why.

Cappa

Banned
I see it on here atleast once every 3 months. The same threads. and I have problems with it in those times. I do own a ps4 :/

and what other similar service do you use that hasn't experienced some sort of down time "once every 3 months" even XBL, Steam, etc have their issues albeit perhaps PSN has had longer lasting downtimes.

kevin1025

Banned
I have Witcher 3 disc and add-on and no, it's fuck'n useles without the network as it says:

You are missing the following downloadable content required to open this save:
[all dlc listed]

Fck that shit. And please don't tell me to have my console set as primary as I had multiple times. C

So game saves tied to DLC won't let you access the game at all? Is that because of the online "Checking for DLC" thing that pops up on the main menu?

I never even thought of that, that's not cool.

This, lol.

You know how many posters would make a thread here, and then be like, oops on the 3rd page, that their ISP was down?

Quite the many over the years. And at least once or twice a month, lol.

I just don't understand why of all companies.. The attitude is always Sony isn't allowed to have a down time here and there when it does run great every other time but for everyone else company wise, the overreactions and the bs statement's are never expressed.

Like it really isn't that serious if it goes down. I feel no panic in my heart, however im not sure why for so much others, there is so much inflicted anticipation for something.

---

Honestly.. Why am I even in this thread? I'm not even home to access this but cool beans for the update.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Please tell me again why do i pay for this service?

Man, you must not have internet, TV, Cell Phone, electricity etc. Because I will bet you a free PSN card, that every one of your paid services, has downtime, from time to time. ISP's go down more than either Live or PSN on average.

So how do you even PSN bro?

Helscream

Banned
So my PS4 was set to being my primary PlayStation device a while ago yet all my digital content is locked. I know this for a fact because I was able to play my digital content back in Christmas 2014 when PSN was down.

You really don't have to though.

All these drive by posts are to be expected but PSN has been fine for a very long time. This just seems to be unexpected.

Stop explaining!

giphy.gif

Tommi84

I never even thought of that, that's not cool.
No it's not cool. It's silly and stupid!! I have a game on disc and can only watch how Geralt is kneeling next to th fireplace as it's the only thing I can do. That's the reason people HATE the all-digital future. Where you even can't play the game you own.

BumRush

I can't remember the last time PSN was down. It's been incredibly reliable lately.

These "why do I pay for this?" or "what a shitty service" posts are terrible.

What i mean is, the service has a subscription fee since a couple of years now but it did not improve a little bit since then. It's the only service i'm paying for that has downtime for maintenance at least one time a month. Maybe a i'm a little naive but i expected a improvement to avoid these situations.

UV-6

It's funny I had to disable my PS4 internet connection completely for Super Time Force Ultra to get past the initial loading screen. I assume it couldn't connect to their servers with PSN being down so it got stuck there. The fucking future lol

MrDaravon

This genuinely fucking sucks for me, I have a friend visiting today only from out of town that I only get to see maybe once a year or so. We wanted to play N++ so I bought and started downloading it BEFORE the service went down, it finished downloading but I can't launch it because it can't contact the server to verify I own it or do the initial check (which is dumb considering this is my primary PS4 and my profile is not on any other PS4's, guessing it's a weird timing issue with the download completing while the service is down or something).

Mr Moose

What i mean is, the service has a subscription fee since a couple of years now but it did not improve a little bit since then. It's the only service i'm paying for that has downtime for maintenance at least one time a month. Maybe a i'm a little naive but i expected a improvement to avoid these situations.

It's down at least once a month?

diffusionx

Gold Member
Man, you must not have internet, TV, Cell Phone, electricity etc. Because I will bet you a free PSN card, that every one of your paid services, has downtime, from time to time. ISP's go down more than either Live or PSN on average.

So how do you even PSN bro?

I can't remember the last time my internet went down. I even had service during Hurricane Sandy.

PSN is junk.

RdN

and what other similar service do you use that hasn't experienced some sort of down time "once every 3 months" even XBL, Steam, etc have their issues albeit perhaps PSN has had longer lasting downtimes.

I think that the difference between PSN and those other services is that PSN is usually more unstable than the others, so when it goes fully down, people feel like it's constantly happening.

Why was there no announcement when most of the popular games on PS4 are multiplayer focused and some are just online only (Destiny).

It's not down once a month. People create these narratives in their head.

GenericUser

pictures people have seen when booting GTA5. psn went down shortly after this.

1937424_9190766747965dxlyz.jpg

10561702_919076638129seaoy.jpg

looks legit. don't think this is a "planned maintenance"

kevin1025

Banned
No it's not cool. It's silly and stupid!! I have a game on disc and can only watch how Geralt is kneeling next to th fireplace as it's the only thing I can do. That's the reason people HATE the all-digital future. Where you even can't play the game you own.

I'm in the same boat with Black Ops III. I'm halfway through the campaign and didn't realize there's a difference between online and offline campaign saves.

Single-player saves being locked out is a slippery slope.

Vaga

PSN is down a lot tho. Even if it is a few hours it's down a lot more than nearly any service I can think of.

Actually it's not. As a usual 'every day after work for 3-4 hours' player I can honestly say this is a load of crap. I can't remember another instance of PSN being down for this long since the script kiddies attack in '14.

I can understand the frustration but this is just another typical gaf hyperbole bullshit.

As someone who had Plus since it was an optional service, this isn't true. PSN has plenty of issues but to say it hasn't improved since they started charging for it is not factual.

I don't seem to be able to access youtube. I don't understand why that should be related to PSN being down though? I can still use netflix.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I mean, yeah, it sucks that the PSN is down and all (I'm off work for an extra day of vacation today, and I can't play any of my digital games), but fuck, it's not like I don't have a dozen other things I can do in the meantime. My world doesn't revolve around the PSN being up at this exact moment it time.

It's annoying, and an inconvenience, but the sky isn't falling. Since I can't use my PS4, I am:

Playing my Vita (I have a gigantic Vita backlog that I've been slowly getting through)
Playing my 3DS (not a very big backlog, but plenty of stuff to play)
Reading comics on my Surface Pro, or reading my backlog of Novels on my Kindle
Drawing (I still have four pages of Issue #3 of my comic to finish before I move on to coloring and lettering)
Dicking around on the internet (Youtube, NeoGAF, Netflix, Hulu, etc)
Making out, and/or sexy times with my wife (this one is actually the most appealing frontrunner...)
Doing my laundry (that I've been procrastinating doing)
Getting some lunch with my wife (probably the second most appealing frontrunner...)

Don't get me wrong, I'm annoyed that I can't wrap up episodes 5 and 6 of the Telltale Game of Thrones Game so I can continue with my Witcher and Fallout 4 playthroughs, but I'm not going to fret about it and delve into hyperbolic overreactions.

PSN isn't down that much (I think it was once for me last year that I recall), and sometimes maintenance shit needs to happen. It'll be okay, and eventually the servers will open up again, and we can all play our games. Deep breaths. Deep breaths. You'll survive!

Top Bottom