• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Plus needed to play online!!!

Thrakier

Sorry to be blunt, but I think a lot of you people are just tight arses. It's a service, you pay for it. It's less than the price of a game per year and on top of multiplayer there's a shit load of content that's being provided. True, that content is probably a trojan horse to get paid online past, but I'm fine with that and will give Sony the benefit of the doubt when it comes to how much of the discounts and instant game collection remain.

"But PC is free" I hear. As everyone was pointing out during the DRM debate, this ain't Steam.

I think Sony enjoyed sneaking this one past with the it's "We're DRM free, we are heroes speech". Sony is a business. They are struggling to make a profit, they had to sell their headquarters last year to stay afloat and they're releasing a console who's price barely covers the BoM, let alone the R&D, construction, marketing, and logistics costs. Also, I heard that servers cost money.

I actually believe that Sony and MS are aiming towards the same goal with a digital download only future, except that Sony is doing it with a carrot and MS is doing it with a stick.

Wise words right there.

Loakum

Banned
PS4Life! Sony is upgrading their online features to meet the technological advancements of the PS4. paying $50 is a small price to pay, hell that's what a friend would have to pay if they wanna pay a used game on Xbox One!

Dead Man

Sorry to be blunt, but I think a lot of you people are just tight arses. It's a service, you pay for it. It's less than the price of a game per year and on top of multiplayer there's a shit load of content that's being provided. True, that content is probably a trojan horse to get paid online past, but I'm fine with that and will give Sony the benefit of the doubt when it comes to how much of the discounts and instant game collection remain.

"But PC is free" I hear. As everyone was pointing out during the DRM debate, this ain't Steam.

I think Sony enjoyed sneaking this one past with the it's "We're DRM free, we are heroes speech". Sony is a business. They are struggling to make a profit, they had to sell their headquarters last year to stay afloat and they're releasing a console who's price barely covers the BoM, let alone the R&D, construction, marketing, and logistics costs. Also, I heard that servers cost money.

I actually believe that Sony and MS are aiming towards the same goal with a digital download only future, except that Sony is doing it with a carrot and MS is doing it with a stick.
Good lord. Yes, people not wanting to pay for something they have not ahd to previously are just being tight arses. You have it figured out, genius :/

Kinyou

They said it would end in November when Xbone launches though, IIRC?
Either way, AC2 and Halo 3? People complained about the dry months for PS+ where they gave out some football game that no one wanted, but that's reaching pretty far back into the catalog.
Well that would certainly suck

Vorg

Banned

Why do I have to care about shit like this? I am a customer and care about myself. This is a downgrade.

Loakum

Banned

^Amen.

I think the rumors about this softened the blow. I sub to plus but I still think it sucks. Lock up social features and sharing to plus only instead. People will want to pay for those and they arent critical to the games. That said, theyre doing good things with plus and people will be happy to spend the money if they keep it up. Theyre also doing good by not locking applications that require another sub, or hell any of the apps, thats nice.

The best part is that they arent fucking with the system in place, every account on a console can take advantage of plus, thats pretty nice considering they want the subs from everyone. 1 sub per household is the way it should be.

Sera O

Banned
All the dread and disbelief on my part as MS continually dug a deeper hole recently has made this not seem like a big deal comparatively. It does suck, though. It is an obvious step back to go from free multiplayer for everyone to a paywall, regardless of what other benefits may be behind that paywall.

I'm saying this as someone who subscribes to plus and plays mostly single-player games. I've been really satisfied with plus, but the need to incentivize it is going to be drastically reduced. Add that to a new gen console without b/c and a small library, and I can see the quality sliding, especially for people who don't have PS3, PSP or Vita.

I think I'm paid for the next couple of years and I have PS3/Vita so it seems worth it to me, but it definitely isn't progress.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I look at it this way €5 a month is better than microsofts shitty drm plus you'd have to pay for gold anyway and driveclub is free :)

Not sure what the DRM has to do with MP costing, and it's most likely not the full version of Drive Club.

Flatline

Banned
Why do I have to care about shit like this? I am a customer and care about myself. This is a downgrade.

It's amazing how some people think that we have to subsidize for Sony's retarded decisions in the TV and electronics sector of the corporation.

For me it is a backward step. With the PS3 I have been able to play online even though my country does not have a PS Store. Now that it requires PS Plus, which I cannot purchase due to lack of Store, I cannot play online anymore.

Way to go :(

Erdem

Banned
Not buying. 400$ for initial price and 50$ for every year I want to play with the console? Say 4 years? Nope.

I'll just upgrade my PC.

Corporate apologists at their best. Might as well have added the words 'entitled gamers' to your post.

XeNoN89

Banned
This would have been really annoying and a potential deal breaker for me, except you still get all the benefits of PS+. So this is still a great deal. If you had to pay and DIDN'T get PS+ features, I would have skipped this.

NeoUltima

It freaking sucks, but it was expected.

Microsoft makes billions on XBL. I am pretty sure XBL subs are the only reason the Xbox division has even been making a profit. Let's say 20 million people subscribe to Gold (a modest estimate). At $50 a year (also modest), that is one billion dollars a year. That is more money than the entire division usually posts in profits. XBL subs have been keeping them afloat for years.

Sony wanted that subscription cushion too. That is just way too much cash to leave on the table, without having a really, really, really good reason.

Yes, it sucks horribly. But everyone should have seen it coming a mile away.

dosh

I'm talking about the new mandatory paywall of course.

I'm not expecting PS+ to be as awesome during the first year of PS4 as it's been on PS3 (I'm a EU+ member), but it'll have to do with the probable lack of games Sony can "give away" during those first years. Not the quality of the service itself.

Corporate apologists at their best. Might as well have added the words 'entitled gamers' to your post.

Ha, people should go easy on the corporate apologist stuff. He made a pretty valid point at the end of his post.

It freaking sucks, but it was expected.

Microsoft makes billions on XBL. I am pretty sure XBL subs are the only reason the Xbox division has even been making a profit. Let's say 20 million people subscribe to Gold (a modest estimate). At $50 a year (also modest), that is one billion dollars a year. That is more money than the entire division usually posts in profits. XBL subs have been keeping them afloat for years.

Sony wanted that subscription cushion too. That is just way too much cash to leave on the table, without having a really, really, really good reason.

Yes, it sucks horribly. But everyone should have seen it coming a mile away.

Yeah but at least the consumer sees benefit from the sub fee, think all those free games are actually "free"? A bit of a different affair than just simply cashing the check.

Ashes

Banned
Wouldn't surprise me if 99% of the people in here unhappy with this news will eventually get it, and wonder why they didn't jump on the PS Plus bandwagon years ago anyway!

I've got psn+. I would even say I was among the 95% satisfied rate.
But if I get ps4. That satisfaction rate is dropping like a ton of bricks. This shit is not OK.

'Let nothing come between the gamer and the joy of play. Except multiplayer. You multi players get treated like a redheaded stepchild. Pay $5 a month for access to games you already bought'.

Wheres that fuck you give me money.gif?

One cannot have it all ...

Times have changed and whereas before the industry was not so 'cloud' based, SONY need to be able to provide for the end users and that revenue has to come from somewhere.

They announced a cool lookin console (that probably has a blue light on it when powered on:), some cool looking games and NO DRM and USED GAMES

Serioulsly ... some people are never happy ..SMH.gif

EGM1966

It's disappointing but to be honest I blame the market (i.e. us) really. Tens of millions of gamers (particularly in US/UK) voted for this by paying for Live Gold (myself included) so I don't really blame Sony for going in a direction the market has essentially voted for.

I pay for Plus already and the price, DRM, used game stance of Sony at the moment is miles better than MS so I'm willing to accept this as an inevitable reaction to the market.

Flatline

Banned
I'm not expecting PS+ to be as awesome during the first year of PS4 as it's been on PS3 (I'm a EU+ member), but it'll have to do with the probable lack of games Sony can "give away" during those first years. Not the quality of the service itself.

Sony doesn't have to offer awesome games and offers now, they just blackmail users into buying it for online play. Already we have DriveClub PS+ edition which will probably be a glorified demo.

There should have been an uproar in neogaf over this but these fuckers at Microsoft are making Sony look like a fucking saint.

The best part for me about PSN was that it allow free multiplayer. This is a huge blow to me especially since it's another yearly bill to add to the list. :(

GodofWine

Free money for Sony...didnt like it, but would have bet on it.

Everyone I know with PS+ loves it, so I am eating crow and trying to acquire a taste for it.

(Dat Destiny gameplay and Free Planetside 2 and Drive Club PS+...that helps)

educator

Jesus, how cheap are some of you people really? An amazing service is going to get much better, and you're complaining about 5$ a month?

People never stop to amaze me...

"Is Sony going to implement some of the features (ie cross chat etc..) that XBL has, now that their service is a pay one?"

Cross chat is confirmed.

The best part for me about PSN was that it allow free multiplayer. This is a huge blow to me especially since it's another yearly bill to add to the list. :(

The likelihood is that you'll save money, given just how many amazing games, digital and retail end up on the service for free. I've lost count of the amount of games I would have ended up buying, but for them to appear on PS Plus for free. It's become an incredible service.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Jesus, how cheap are some of you people really? An amazing service is going to get much better, and you're complaining about 5$ a month?

It's not getting better, it's staying the same (potentially it could get worse as they have no incentive to provide the same quality), it's the people who don't have PS+ who are getting fucked.

Ashes

Banned

And ps+ for the ps4 is going to be lame with the games and store library in the first year too.

educator

It's not getting better, it's staying the same (potentially it could get worse as they have no incentive to provide the same quality), it's the people who don't have PS+ who are getting fucked.

I consider cross game chat just that being worth 5 bucks a month.

Fredrik

The likelihood is that you'll save money, given just how many amazing games, digital and retail end up on the service for free. I've lost count of the amount of games I would have ended up buying, but for them to appear on PS Plus for free. It's become an incredible service.
Anything tucked behind a subscription fee is by default not free. Once you stop pay your free games are gone. :(

I was so close to pulling the trigger on +, now it will feel like I am supporting this shit if I do. Conflicted.

They softend the blow with Drive club...which was wise i guess..it was bound to happen though...XBL is making soo much money for MS...this is still a better value proposition than XBL and hopefully they can make use of the money to improve PSN...they seem gamer centric this time round...

Dead Man

"Is Sony going to implement some of the features (ie cross chat etc..) that XBL has, now that their service is a pay one?"

Cross chat is confirmed.

Nobody is complaining about the price, but that there is a charge at all for MP. Get it right before you get on your fucking horse.

dosh

Sony doesn't have to offer awesome games and offers now, they just blackmail users into buying it for online play. Already we have DriveClub PS+ edition which will probably be a glorified demo.

I see what you mean. We'll see. I really hope you're wrong.

There should have been an uproar in neogaf over this but these fuckers at Microsoft are making Sony look like a fucking saint.

On that we fully agree. That was sneakier than Snake, Garrett and Sam Fisher combined.

waypoetic

Banned
So, it's the low price of 5 bucks for PS+ and with that you'll get this and that as always But this time you need it if you want to play multiplayer BUT you can still use services such as Netflix etc without paying for PS+, riiight?

alstein

i would rather have had used games blocked over this.

unless PSN is like $20/yr or something, I'm walking. I'm probably done with consoles now unless the Wii U gets VF6 somehow

I expected this but it doesn't mean I have to tolerate it.

Top Bottom