• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Plus needed to play online!!!

CREMSteve

I will definetly get ps+ on ps4 launch, after seeing what you get for free, jeez. From reddit

Free games for ps+ members from June 2012 - May 2013

PS3 Retail 92 (80) Super Street Fighter IV (Arcade Edition)
PS3 Retail 91 Little Big Planet 2
PS3 Retail 89 Demon’s Souls
PS3 Retail 88 BioShock 2
PS3 Retail 84 Vanquish
PS3 Retail 84 Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition
PS3 Retail 83 Sleeping Dogs
PS3 Retail 83 Borderlands
PS3 Retail 83 inFAMOUS 2
PS3 Retail 83 Just Cause 2
PS3 Retail 82 Darksiders
PS3 Retail 82 Saints Row 2
PS3 Retail 77 Spec Ops: The Line
PS3 Retail 77 King of Fighters XIII
PS3 Retail 70 Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One
PS3 Retail 70 Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine
PS3 & Vita PSN (new) - Zombie Tycoon 2: Brainhov's Revenge
PS3 & Vita PSN 79 Knytt Undergroud
PS3 & Vita PSN 78 Retro City Rampage
PS3 & Vita PSN - Foosball 2012
PS3 PSN (new) 73 Double Dragon Neon
PS3 PSN 91 Pac-Man Championship Edition DX
PS3 PSN 84 Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
PS3 PSN 84 The Walking Dead (Ep. 1 & 2)
PS3 PSN 82 Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown
PS3 PSN 81 Closure
PS3 PSN 80 Renegade Ops
PS3 PSN 80 Dungeon Defenders
PS3 PSN 80 NFL Blitz
PS3 PSN 79 Quantum Conundrum
PS3 PSN 79 Rochard
PS3 PSN 78 Anomaly: Warzone Earth
PS3 PSN 78 Joe Danger 2: The Movie
PS3 PSN 78 Mega Man 10
PS3 PSN 77 Mega Man 9
PS3 PSN 77 Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
PS3 PSN 77 Starhawk (single-player ONLY)
PS3 PSN 76 Hard Corps: Uprising
PS3 PSN 76 Guardians of Middle Earth
PS3 PSN 73 Sideway: New York
PS3 PSN 73 The Cave
PS3 PSN 72 Gotham City Imposters
PS3 PSN 71 Choplifter HD
PS3 PSN 70 PAYDAY: The Heist
PS3 PSN 69 Bloodrayne Betrayal
PS3 PSN 68 Labyrinth Legends
PS3 PSN 67 Zombie Apocalypse: Never Die Alone
PS3 PSN 67 Malicious
Vita Retail 83 Gravity Rush
Vita Retail 83 BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend
Vita Retail 80 Uncharted: Golden Abyss
Vita Retail 79 WipEout 2048
Vita Retail 78 Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention
Vita Retail 72 Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus
Vita PSN (new) 75 Jet Set Radio
Vita PSN (new) 44 Chronovolt
Vita PSN 86 Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack
Vita PSN 79 The Pinball Arcade
Vita PSN 77 Plants vs. Zombies
Smaller Platforms Rating Game
PSP 88 Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions
PSP 82 Tekken 6
PSP 80 SoulCalibur: Broken Destiny
PSP 79 Mega Man Maverick Hunter X
PS One Classic - International Track and Field
PS One Classic - Hot Shots Golf 2
PS Mini - Ronnie O'Sullivan's Snooker
PS Mini - Farm Frenzy 2
PS Mini - Kaleidoscope

To those of you calling Plus a rental service, I own every one of the games above, mostly thanks to this service. They are mine to keep forever, as long as I am a member. Sony pays ME to use this service, that's the big difference between Live and Plus.

It's fantastic, with or without multiplayer.

Vamphuntr

I always thought it was awful to pay for multiplayer on 360 and I think this is the case here too. Many people guessed they would so this here on GAF and we were right. MS was making a mint out of Live subscriptions and Sony wanted a share of the pie.

It's a bit funny to read the same people saying paying for multiplayer on 360 was awful but how great it is to pay for it on PS4.

I guess they will eventually put up tier on PS+. MP only, free games and Gaikai services.

pestul

I thought they said until the release of the One the 360 was going to get some free live games..?

Maybe, but perhaps MS will try and be more competitive with the paywall service now. If they don't, they're going to lose a whole heck of a lot of early adopters.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Not really bothered myself, rarely if ever pay MP and not putting multimedia services behind a pay wall was the key thing for me, that's what bugged me most about Gold.

Well, in fairness to the 'PS+ gives you games' etc crowd, didn't MS also say they would be doing something similar with Live on Xbone? But yeah, drm and $100 more.

Only until November, it's unclear if they're going to continue this on the Xbone (they've already said that it won't continue for the 360, so that's really unlikely).

hayguyz

Banned
To those of you calling Plus a rental service, I own every one of the games above, mostly thanks to this service. They are mine to keep forever, as long as I am a member. Sony pays ME to use this service, that's the big difference between Live and Plus.

KageMaru

I'm not bothered by this since I've been paying for Live for 10 years.

Though I thought I'd see more meltdowns here with how badly Live is trolled.

KorrZ

I already have a PS+ Subscription and have been paying for XBL for the past 7 years. I can't say I'm phased by this decision very much at all.

Are there any people who buy X1 and PS4 and pay 100$/year to play online on both?

And lets be real, how would BF4 with 64players be possible without a paywall? The only thing they have could do different, would be do adopt the PC System, where people just rent Servers for money. That would have been badass :O

I imagine it would be like MAG, 256 players online and free.

Tiu Neo

A small price to pay. I already had PS+ anyway, great value.

...as long as Plus continues offering great games in quality and quantity as it does now.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Despite not owning a PS3 nor Vita, I always thought PS+ was a great service from what I read about it, and if I had any of those consoles I would have gladly paid for it.

That said, I don't like that Sony is locking online multiplayer to PS+ subscribers, even though I'll still pay for it if I ever buy a PS4 just because of the free games.

Grinchy

Banned
I keep seeing Drive Club being mentioned as a major incentive. I could have sworn they said it was some kind of Plus Edition of the game. It really seemed to me that it wasn't the full game at all.

Corto

This is less then $5 a month, come on man, psn plus is a great service and will get better because of this.

It is, and I am one of its biggest fans. I have it in my Portuguese account and on my USA based account. Making it mandatory for online is a bad move though inevitable. While it was optional it was the best subscription based service for games around.

frequency

I hate people that excuse this or dismiss others by saying PS+ is a good value. It's not a good value for everyone. There is nothing on PS+ I'm interested in. There was nothing ever on PS+ I wanted for however long that service has existed. There won't be a magic switch where PS+ suddenly becomes something I am interested in. PS+ "free games" to me has always just been a way to try to make me pay for games I never would have paid for anyway.

I occasionally play games online (co-op). So what this means for me is I would have to pay extra money to play online occasionally. It's stupid and it really bothers me that people are defending it. I am losing a game a year (assuming it stays $60) and gaining absolutely nothing I do not already have on PC, PS3, PSV, 3DS, and Wii U. There is truly no justification for this.

But I guess people defended XBL Gold too. So ridiculous.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
By the way has Sony said if other services like Netflix and Hulu and such are behind the paywall, it would really suck if they are.

They confirmed that apps like Netflix/Hulu would NOT be behind the paywall. Someone posted a Tweet from a sony official earlier.

RELIGHT

Banned
I've paid for XBL for the past 7 years (though I won't this generation) and PS+ for the past few years. I downloaded and played 30 free games due to the PS+ Service, I'd gotten fee games and literally free money for purchases of my choice from PS+. XBL never gave me anything close to that. PS+ is worth it and this isn't a big deal. Everyone on my friends list has PS+ and planned on renewing anyways.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I wouldn't start using "cross game voice chat" as proof PS+ is a special premium service that costs poor Sony a lot more money to maintain.

PS3 didn't have cross game voice chat because it was poorly engineered and Sony wasn't thinking ahead. Microsoft isn't running special servers for voice chat. It's just a system level software app in which one player is a host and the other connects. It's Skype.

You can download and use Skype for free on the Vita, which now has universal cross game chat no matter what you're doing. Because it's not an expensive premium function.

Unless Sony announces PS4 us going to use dedicated servers for all online games, there's no essential difference in what's being offered between PS3 and PS4 online multiplayer services. Many seem to be assuming PS4 = dedicated servers for everything due to Microsoft's claims for Xbox One. I haven't seen Sony say a word about that.

Grinchy

Banned
How many kids post on here?
5$ is nothing I was paying 10 a month on xbox.
I think a chill pill is required.

That's some crazy logic. I can afford it if restaurants charge me $10 extra every time I eat, but I wouldn't be happy about paying a pointless fee. Just being able to afford something doesn't justify its existence.

Corto

I hate people that excuse this or dismiss others by saying PS+ is a good value. It's not a good value for everyone. There is nothing on PS+ I'm interested in. There was nothing ever on PS+ I wanted for however long that service has existed. There won't be a magic switch where PS+ suddenly becomes something I am interested in. PS+ "free games" to me has always just been a way to try to make me pay for games I never would have paid for anyway.

I occasionally play games online (co-op). So what this means for me is I would have to pay extra money to play online occasionally. It's stupid and it really bothers me that people are defending it. I am losing a game a year (assuming it stays $60) and gaining absolutely nothing I do not already have on PC, PS3, PSV, 3DS, and Wii U. There is truly no justification for this.

There is justification. Microsoft showed that there was a bunch of money on the table. The opportunity cost going forward would be huge if Sony didn't attach online gaming to Plus.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
They confirmed that apps like Netflix/Hulu would NOT be behind the paywall. Someone posted a Tweet from a sony official earlier.

Jack Trenton actually mentioned this in the conference, I think most people missed it as it was right after the no drm stuff.

The Boat

Plus is a great service, but tons of people are really out of touch here if they can't see this is a bad thing for lots of people. If you don't have the time to play very often and only play online once in a while, if you don't have a lot of money, even 5 bucks a month is pretty much a worthless expense since you won't have the time to play allt the games. Once you decide it's not worth it, you won't be able to play all those games, all the money you spent went straight to the garbage.

I have plus now (on an alternate account) because it was a cheap deal, otherwise I wouldn't have it because I don't have a lot of time to play and a lot of times when the PS3 version is the same as the 360 and the online is interesting, I go for PS3 because I could play online. Not anymore.

CREMSteve

Ok, let's try Nd approach this from a different perspective for you. Costco charges a membership fee. Imagine if that fee allowed you to stroll into their store and take whatever you wanted, without paying any additional money. As long as you remained a member, you'd never have to pay them back.

Yeah, that would be crazy, right?

That's what Plus has been, in a nutshell. It's crazy value for someone cheap, like me. :p

Edit- this is completely ignoring everything else you get, betas, discounts, themes, etc.

And it is also not factoring multiplayer. Without multi, it's a tremendous bang for your buck. Everyone should have it regardless.

I agree that Plus mandatory for online is bad form. But if you start making that contortionist math you must then subtract to those $700 the price of the IGC games and the discounts. If you do that Sony is paying you to play the PS4!!!!! /sarcasm

Eddie-Murphy.gif

Grinchy

Banned
What pisses me off is let's say I don't have Plus, but I decide to buy Destiny when it comes out. And I want to play it online. That's now a sudden $110 purchase. People love pretending that this is a monthly fee, but it's not.

mbmonk

This sucks. And it's also hilarious. total payback against Sony fans that grind free online play in everyone's faces.

I agree this sucks. And I was one of those people who valued free online and spoke out for it in terms of PC and PS3. Now I have this huge poopsicle to suck on.

Feels bad man.

I don't like pay for MP but, it's not a deal breaker for me. Plus is a great service and I was already going to continue my subscription anyways. As long as it stays a good deal and apps like Netflix and the ilk are not behind a pay wall I'll continue being a subscriber of it.

imBask

Banned
I get the whole principle argument, and while I don't disagree with it even though I was never offended to pay for Live, to be honest Live Gold is nowhere near what PS+ offers

I don't mind paying for a good service, with lots of sales and lots of "free" games, and not having my dashboard filled with publicity...

Calcium

Banned
If paying for Playstation Plus means a better online experience then I have no problem whatsoever with paying. There seem to be enough incentives in place to make the service worth it so I don't see this being a big deal.

Dead Man

So, what do you propose we do?

I'm not proposing anything. Why should I? There is nothing to be done. Buy it or don't. But don't act like there isn't a reason people are upset. And when upset, people will vent. Deal with that, and drive on.
This sucks. And it's also hilarious. total payback against Sony fans that grind free online play in everyone's faces.

Yeah, hilarious :/ Way to stick it to the people that didn't want to get shafted. You go.

PS+ is worth the price even when online play is free.

Ontop of that, the PS4 is $400.

Its almost like they are forcing you to get free games.

ZeroCDR

I'm pretty disappointed by this.

I'm ecstatic that Sony isn't going Microsoft's route in regards to DRM, but then when I think about it, that's just simply how it has always been. It only seems like such a big deal because of how far Microsoft jumped off the deep end. What happened last night? Sony put online play behind the paywall.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
How many kids post on here?
5$ is nothing I was paying 10 a month on xbox.
I think a chill pill is required.
Was this necessary? It's not a matter of cost, it's a matter of being forced to subscribe to another service.

I don't give a damn how much you pay for Live. I don't want to pay for online multiplayer. And this is coming from someone who thinks PS+ is a great service, as I said on a previous post.

CREMSteve

What pisses me off is let's say I don't have Plus, but I decide to buy Destiny when it comes out. And I want to play it online. That's now a sudden $110 purchase. People love pretending that this is a monthly fee, but it's not.
You don't have to buy a year.

RELIGHT

Banned

1. What technological service in existence is a good "value" for 100% of consumers? You'll always have folks where it's not beneficial to them.

2. PS+ provides FREE games. There may be some that you would have never purchased but honestly, it's because of those FREE games that I realized I liked certain games series.

3. You aren't losing a game a year. PS+ Gave me the GOW collection for FREE! That's a $30 value right there. PS+ also gave me $10 TWICE, once just for being a PS+ subscriber and then for making $50 worth of purchases one month. The give and take is certainly there and it's the most balanced online service available.

But honestly, it seems like you just flat out don't like the idea of "pay to play" online. If I'm honest with myself, I never liked the idea either. However, I didn't believe it would be free to play online forever. Once Microsoft came out with a paid service, it was inevitable that it would happen on competitor consoles. It's unfortunate but to put things into perspective; you can choose between 3 consoles and 2 of them are pay to play online. It's matter of what you want to do in the end #captainobvious

Garjon

I dislike this. I've yet to make my mind up yet but this could make/break my interest in the PS4.

Would things like Dark Souls' player hints also be locked behind this paywall?

Top Bottom