• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Plus needed to play online!!!

Was this necessary? It's not a matter of cost, it's a matter of being forced to subscribe to another service.

I don't give a damn how much you pay for Live. I don't want to pay for online multiplayer. And this is coming from someone who thinks PS+ is a great service, as I said on a previous post.

You are not being forced to subscribe to anything actually. It is optional.

CREMSteve

I'm pretty disappointed by this.

I'm ecstatic that Sony isn't going Microsoft's route in regards to DRM, but then when I think about it, that's just simply how it has always been. It only seems like such a big deal because of how far Microsoft jumped off the deep end. What happened last night? Sony put online play behind the paywall.
Don't do this.

Sony had a golden opportunity to conform to a new standard that would have fucked us all. Give them credit for standing up and saying NO.

Dead Man

1. What technological service in existence is a good "value" for 100% of consumers? You'll always have folks where it's not beneficial to them.

2. PS+ provides FREE games. There may be some that you would have never purchased but honestly, it's because of those FREE games that I realized I liked certain games series.

3. You aren't losing a game a year. PS+ Gave me the GOW collection for FREE! That's a $30 value right there. PS+ also gave me $10 TWICE, once just for being a PS+ subscriber and then for making $50 worth of purchases one month. The give and take is certainly there and it's the most balanced online service available.

But honestly, it seems like you just flat out don't like the idea of "pay to play" online. If I'm honest with myself, I never liked the idea either. However, I didn't believe it would be free to play online forever. Once Microsoft came out with a paid service, it was inevitable that it would happen on competitor consoles. It's unfortunate but to put things into perspective; you can choose between 3 consoles and 2 of them are pay to play online. It's matter of what you want to do in the end #captainobvious

I like that you say no system will be good for 100% of people, then struggle to understand when those people aren't impressed.

I wouldn't start using "cross game voice chat" as proof PS+ is a special premium service that costs poor Sony a lot more money to maintain.

PS3 didn't have cross game voice chat because it was poorly engineered and Sony wasn't thinking ahead. Microsoft isn't running special servers for voice chat. It's just a system level software app in which one player is a host and the other connects. It's Skype.

You can download and use Skype for free on the Vita, which now has universal cross game chat no matter what you're doing. Because it's not an expensive premium function.

Unless Sony announces PS4 us going to use dedicated servers for all online games, there's no essential difference in what's being offered between PS3 and PS4 online multiplayer services. Many seem to be assuming PS4 = dedicated servers for everything due to Microsoft's claims for Xbox One. I haven't seen Sony say a word about that.

Exactly, the only reason Sony are doing it is for the money. It's not enough you give them money for the console and the games, they want money to play the online portion of those games too. Meanwhile PC players will be playing those same games for free.

RELIGHT

Banned
What pisses me off is let's say I don't have Plus, but I decide to buy Destiny when it comes out. And I want to play it online. That's now a sudden $110 purchase. People love pretending that this is a monthly fee, but it's not.

Just get Destiny on the Xbox One.

mbmonk

Ok, let's try Nd approach this from a different perspective for you. Costco charges a membership fee. Imagine if that fee allowed you to stroll into their store and take whatever you wanted, without paying any additional money. As long as you remained a member, you'd never have to pay them back.

Yeah, that would be crazy, right?

That's what Plus has been, in a nutshell. It's crazy value for someone cheap, like me. :p

Edit- this is completely ignoring everything else you get, betas, discounts, themes, etc.

And it is also not factoring multiplayer. Without multi, it's a tremendous bang for your buck. Everyone should have it regardless.

In your example, if you stopped paying Cosco the monthly membership fee they would come an repo everything you grabbed from the shelf under this program. And you don't get to pick anything off the shelf, isn't it from a limited selection?

I keep hearing this argument that PS+ such a great deal. Then why FORCE it on people who want to play multiplayer? If it's such an amazing deal, wouldn't PSN members get it voluntarily? But that isn't what is happening here. It's a MP paywall, bottomline.

Oppo

I hate people that excuse this or dismiss others by saying PS+ is a good value. It's not a good value for everyone. There is nothing on PS+ I'm interested in. There was nothing ever on PS+ I wanted for however long that service has existed. There won't be a magic switch where PS+ suddenly becomes something I am interested in.

So, either you haven't been paying attention to PS+ free games selection, or you dislike a spectacularly wide variety of video games.

RealMeat

Banned
I'm really conflicted on this. On the one hand, I think basic multiplayer should be free and never bought a Xbox due to the fee. On the other hand, I'm already playing for plus and think it's more than worth it without multiplayer.
I wonder if they'll let us add PS4 games to our plus account before we buy a PS4. That's what led me to getting a Vita.

RELIGHT

Banned
I like that you say no system will be good for 100% of people, then struggle to understand when those people aren't impressed.

I'm not struggling to understand anything. I fully understand why someone would be pissed about it. Was it a letdown that online play is now paid? Yes, of course; that was one of the huge advantages PS had over Xbox. It's very understandable why someone who doesn't like to play online but does play online here and there would be upset. It's very inconvenient to some people. But now that you know about it, you either choose to go with it or you don't.

Don't do this.

Sony had a golden opportunity to conform to a new standard that would have fucked us all. Give them credit for standing up and saying NO.

They were never going to say yes in the first place. MS proposed it to publishers.

^_^ cloudpower=praroleofficer. desined from day1@s DRM. peirod. uknoo this alreyad thogh.,, MS idaea. aproached third parties wplan not otherway around. EA/Ubi bigest boostrs but lesa Activbliz whcih makes mye haed fulll of weird#!

Funny thing with PSN Plus for me is that it made me think twice about getting games on day one, because you never know if it's going to be offered for free on Plus some day.

Grinchy

Banned
Just get Destiny on the Xbox One.

onew-s-adorable-laugh4hjse.gif

Still a better deal than Xbox Live Gold. I don't even play multiplayer that much, so the only thing I would really miss from PS+ are all the free games.

Meciu

Actually thanks to that I'll finally subscribe to PS+. I should've done that long ago but i always said meh.. not today.

If its a matter of principle then stand by your principles.

Don't buy the PS4. Vote with your wallet. Its that simple.

I don't like the Xbox 360 Live pay for multi player so I don't have an Xbox 360.

I don't like Nintendo selling the Wii U without a proper games lineup so I don't buy a Wii U.

I don't like paying for multi player but see the tremendous value of the PS+ so I pay for it.

To be honest I am not buying a PS4 at launch. I have a PS3 + Vita + PC with enough games to last me until the second cycle where the PS4 will have dropped in price and cheap greatest hits games are available. PS+ was one of the reasons so Sony shot themselves in the foot, for me personally.

Whools

As a PS+ subscriber I'm fine with this as long as the standard of PS+ doesn't decline, which might happen, given they no longer have to sell a lot of people on plus, they'll just buy it to play multiplayer.
I also fear it might be the death of new games on Plus, with plus used even more as a marketing tool by releasing old games with an upcoming sequel. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it's more likely I'll already have the game.

This a a bit off topic but I also wish they announced a sale on plus, my subscription is running out and I had my fingers crossed. missed the one in April unfortunately.

To those of you calling Plus a rental service, I own every one of the games above, mostly thanks to this service. They are mine to keep forever, as long as I am a member. Sony pays ME to use this service, that's the big difference between Live and Plus.

It's fantastic, with or without multiplayer.

Dude, not that I don't think PS+ is a value, but that is EXACTLY what a rental service is. Once you stop paying, you can't play them unless you purchase them.

The_Monk

I already have PS Plus. In Europe it's the best service this gen. Period. It's the best service on consoles, too. I have a PS Vita thanks to PS Plus, I've played tons of games for the PS3.

Now they will keep on giving me great games. Drive Club, one of my most hyped racing games for "free" is amazing. My PS+ subscription going from PS3 to PS4 is another good thing meaning I'll be having PS Plus from the day I get the PS4.

I can understand the GAFfers that do not like this decision and I can see why but for, PS Plus is a great deal since a good time for me.

alstein

I agree that Plus mandatory for online is bad form. But if you start making that contortionist math you must then subtract to those $700 the price of the IGC games and the discounts. If you do that Sony is paying you to play the PS4!!!!! /sarcasm

You subtract what those games are worth to you, and then there's no guarantee that the deals won't become shittier.

PSN+ this gen was an awesome value. I have my doubts about next gen, especially if Xbone gets Dreamcasted (which is a real possibility)

That said, I'm not day 1'ing or year 1'ing , so I can wait and see how things play out. once they got your hooks into you with a paywall, it's hard to get out even as they tighten the screws- just look at Live this gen.

CREMSteve

In your example, if you stopped paying Cosco the monthly membership fee they would come an repo everything you grabbed from the shelf under this program. And you don't get to pick anything off the shelf, isn't it from a limited selection?

I keep hearing this argument that PS+ such a great deal. Then why FORCE it on people who want to play multiplayer? If it's such an amazing deal, wouldn't PSN members get it voluntarily? But that isn't what is happening here. It's a MP paywall, bottomline.
How about you try it before saying stuff like this.

i would never have played Demon's Souls if it wasn't for Plus, so I am forever gratefulfor it's existence.

velociraptor

Or the inevitable PC version which will not have you pay for online at all...
I hate playing multiplayer on PC games because I only use a controller. Plus, I have no friends to play on the PC. I only tend to play co-op games on the PC, such as L4D2 and Portal 2, or single player experiences.

Sony's free online service is what originally won me over and made me get a ps3.
This is sad, sad news indeed.
Same.

rashbeep

Banned
Out of all the good things that they announced during that press event, this is what stuck with me. I don't blame Sony for this, they did what any company would do and that is to make more money. I blame the fucking saps who subscribed to Gold for years and proved to the industry that this is a business model that makes sense. PS+ is a great value for those who buy it; additional services like that should have a price, NOT basic online functionality. I'm not paying for that; not now, not ever.

Shambles

I'm not bothered by this since I've been paying for Live for 10 years.

Though I thought I'd see more meltdowns here with how badly Live is trolled.

Some people learn to love their chains.

I don't understand how more people aren't upset at Sony since this $400 console is now a $700 console thanks thanks to a mandatory PSN+.

Out of all the good things that they announced during that press event, this is what stuck with me. I don't blame Sony for this, they did what any company would do and that is to make more money. I blame the fucking saps who subscribed to Gold for years and proved to the industry that this is a business model that makes sense. PS+ is a great value for those who buy it; additional services like that should have a price, NOT basic online functionality. I'm not paying for that; not now, not ever.

Well said.

You don't have to buy a year.

You have to buy every year.

WalkMan

Banned
The deal is there are many more servers now to be maintained and that requires a stream of subscribers. You can't have a free to play system like Dota 2 for every game on PS4 because then the games would be designed with an underlying microtransaction scheme in mind.

For those touting WiiU free online-play, the WiiU's online play is pretty much equal or even sub-par to Vita. The jump between Vita online play and PS4 is what constitutes making that paywall break and justifying to the consumer.

Mobius 1

If its a matter of principle then stand by your principles.

Don't buy the PS4. Vote with your wallet. Its that simple.

I don't like the Xbox 360 Live pay for multi player so I don't have an Xbox 360.

I don't like Nintendo selling the Wii U without a proper games lineup so I don't buy a Wii U.

I don't like paying for multi player but see the tremendous value of the PS+ so I pay for it.

To be honest I am not buying a PS4 at launch. I have a PS3 + Vita + PC with enough games to last me until the second cycle where the PS4 will have dropped in price and cheap greatest hits games are available. PS+ was one of the reasons so Sony shot themselves in the foot, for me personally.

Finally someone with sense. It's not a tremendous issue, but I suppose people need to keep yapping about things on a forum.

ZeroCDR

Don't do this.

Obviously this isn't anywhere near as bad as the DRM situation, and I do applaud Sony for not following suit.

Still, at the end of the day, we're just grateful Sony decided to only put online play behind a paywall. It's fine because it's not as bad as what Microsoft did.. but it shouldn't be.

PS+ was already worth the admission and is constantly met with admiration, a clear difference from XBL Gold. It gave you real value, not holding essential features hostage. It didn't need this.

How about you try it before saying stuff like this.

i would never have played Demon's Souls if it wasn't for Plus, so I am forever gratefulfor it's existence.

I've tried it and basically what he said is true. There is a limited choice and once the subscription expires you can't play those games. PS+ should remain as it is, an option. Keep basic online free and make PS+ attractive. I wouldn't mind if stuff like Netflix is behind a paywall.

Wolfie5

Don´t like to pay to play online games. It´s a matter of principles for me. It should be free.

Having said that I am wondering what the benefits of PSN plus is at launch for PS4?
Is this a case of wait a couple of years, before you get free games(with good selection) like PS3?

EDIT:

As it looks now, I might only buy PS4 later for the single player experience and upgrade my PC instead. Too bad, I was thinking about not upgrading PC and buying a PS4 instead.

I prefer they have a solid control over online and standardize the whole thing for everyone instead of having restrictions to people with free online but no cross game chat for example because they don't have + and those who have + have access to everything, managing this looks like a nightmare to me. I want everyone on the same boat. I would have kept my PS+ sub anyway so i don't care at all. PS+ is an amazing service.

Lets not kid ourselves, Sony were gonna charge in some ways no matter what, they thought having a standard is the best thing to keep a unified ecosystem. Like MS did.

But at least the apps are not behind PS+ which is great for those who want a Playstation system for entertainement but are not so serious about gaming as much as the hardcore.

And no DRM and 399$ no camera !!! Best news today !!!

PS4 day one for me ! Already pre-ordered.

No_Style

So, either you haven't been paying attention to PS+ free games selection, or you dislike a spectacularly wide variety of video games.

In my case, it's the fact that I already played or have most of the PS+ games that I was interested in. I bought most of those games at a discount and then poof it's on the PS+ IGC. Does it have value? Yes. But will I have to stop buying games and hope it appears on PS+ to maximize its value?

while i dislike the idea because I believe the games of ps plus may degrade, i'll have a bit of faith on sony for everything they did right on the conference and because i've been a plus subscriber since day 1.

Honestly, I can't blame them for forcing people to get their subscription based model instead of XBLG with next gen. I guess they are very confident on their new console. Also, free games for 3 devices, themes, discounts, cloud saves... and who knows if the all access of gaikai can be based on plus too.

Tayaya

I don't understand why people complain that you lose access to the games you get as part of your PS plus subscription. Seriously - $50 a year for what amounts to access to at minimum $50 of new games added to your account each month is pretty damned impressive.... and this month for those of us in the US they added $120 worth of games just this week alone, on top of the other games they already gave us for June.

Plus it's one account that's now going to span 3 consoles for that price.

Losing access to the games because I stopped subscribing is no different than losing access to my Netflix streaming just because I cancel my netflix. If I stop paying them monthly I expect to lose access to the service they provide. Makes sense to me.

The people that seem to complain about this are the people that want to pay $17 for a 3-month sub or pop a 30-day trial code, grab a bunch of games, and then cancel and expect to keep them.

What Sony is providing is actually pretty god damned generous really, in terms of overall value.

SO on-topic.... I'm paying for PS+ anyway because of the tremendous value it provides... needing to pay for it for online multiplayer is a non issue. FOR ME, my monthly expense is not changing one bit. Well actually it is, because I certainly won't be paying for XBL Gold anymore.

frequency

There is justification. Microsoft showed that there was a bunch of money on the table. The opportunity cost going forward would be huge if Sony didn't attach online gaming to Plus.
Sorry, I meant justification for gamers. There is no justifying putting what was free behind a paywall for gamers. I'm sorry that as a consumer I don't think in terms of what makes Sony the most money but instead think of the best interests of consumers.

1. What technological service in existence is a good "value" for 100% of consumers? You'll always have folks where it's not beneficial to them.

2. PS+ provides FREE games. There may be some that you would have never purchased but honestly, it's because of those FREE games that I realized I liked certain games series.

3. You aren't losing a game a year. PS+ Gave me the GOW collection for FREE! That's a $30 value right there. PS+ also gave me $10 TWICE, once just for being a PS+ subscriber and then for making $50 worth of purchases one month. The give and take is certainly there and it's the most balanced online service available.

But honestly, it seems like you just flat out don't like the idea of "pay to play" online. If I'm honest with myself, I never liked the idea either. However, I didn't believe it would be free to play online forever. Once Microsoft came out with a paid service, it was inevitable that it would happen on competitor consoles. It's unfortunate but to put things into perspective; you can choose between 3 consoles and 2 of them are pay to play online. It's matter of what you want to do in the end #captainobvious
Congratulations. You like PS+. I don't. I look at the list of games and there is nothing there I would even play or it was something I already bought and would not have waited however long for it to be "free".

And it's not "FREE". I now pay $0. That is free. When I am then paying $60 a year, it is no longer free. It is being forced to rent games I never wanted to rent just so I can play online.

I don't care what Microsoft did. I care that I am now losing something I had and still have on every other platform.

See below:

Or most of the games you are interested in you already own or would prefer a disc copy as that has resale value.
Yes sir.

If people see value in PS+ then fine. Whatever. What I hate is people dismissing others for not finding value in it and only seeing now they are losing something that they must pay for to regain.

Drachma

Banned
This is total horseshit.

I'm already a Plus subscriber so any real outrage on my part would be faux as I won't personally be affected, but that doesn't make it any less of a total dick move.

Question to PS+ users: Does Sony make it almost impossible to cancel you membership or your credit card info like Micro$oft? Because if they do, no PS4 for me.

http://imgur.com/a/5F1Uc

No, on ps+ it simply puts auto renew on in your services. you go there, say no and that's it.

When I am then paying $60 a year

50. And nowadays there are some offers. People who snagged ps plus with 25% discounts till 2015 are probably jumping in joy!

Grinchy

Banned
Question to PS+ users: Does Sony make it almost impossible to cancel you membership or your credit card info like Micro$oft? Because if they do, no PS4 for me.

http://imgur.com/a/5F1Uc

It's insanely easy. Though, you do have to remember to shut off auto-renewal in 2 places or something weird like that. I don't remember the specifics but without any effort I have been able to only use free or cheap PS+ codes without it ever charging me an auto-renewal.

Top Bottom