• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Plus needed to play online!!!

Grecco

The moment they announced no Backwards compatibility is the moment they were able to do this. I dont really care im used to paying for XBLG so ill just pay for this instead

i do wonder if all those people who swore they would never pay for play online will reconsider cause the PS4 looks like a really good value proposition right now regardless.

Just to make sure, putting online multiplayer behind a paywall only applies to PS4 right, PS3 multiplayer is still free?

yes just PS4

smr00

Banned
I don't see the problem.

The big picture. Sony vs Microsoft. It's PS+ vs XBL. PS+ is cheaper and offers way more features that are actually useful and you don't need PS+ for anything but online gaming. If you pay for XBL and are bitching about this do yourself a favor and turn your modem off.

If you can't afford or don't want to spend less than $5 a month for a fantastic service that's your prerogative but i don't see a problem in it. I have made my money back tenfold on the service.

I asked this in another thread with no reply, do the annual subscription cards you can buy from retail for PS Plus expire or can I register them later in the year when I buy my PS4? Asking cause there is a sale on them right now and want to order one.

alstein

Which means that the price of the Xbox One is more like $860

Yep. I'm not saying XBone is better at all. I'm saying this what Sony is doing is shitty, just vastly less shitty than what Microsoft is doing.

The moment they announced no Backwards compatibility is the moment they were able to do this. I dont really care im used to paying for XBLG so ill just pay for this instead

i do wonder if all those people who swore they would never pay for play online will reconsider cause the PS4 looks like a really good value proposition right now regardless.

I'm not saying never even myself, I'm saying definitely not day 1, and it will have to take something that I really want to change my mind. I don't think that will happen.

Its why the price is 100 ish less, the end.

If SOny had charged 500 or even 600, but free MP, I might have day 1'ed.

Kyoufu

I really hope this is true. Me and my brothers aren't going to pay $50 or $60 a year for each one. No fucking way.

They won't need to.

People adding subscription costs to the PS4 price... how about you factor in the free games you get with the service too?

Man up? To pay more money is what proper men do now? Get the fuck out of here.

tumblr_lp5rtqrVDu1qaj18co1_400.jpg

MrWisker

Upside is..if you do not play online and do not wish to purchase PS+ you are still able to enjoy all media services of the console. I.E., be able to watch Netflix etc. . .

Frostburn

I signed up for PS+ last night. I have a Vita and a PS3 and I'll be buying a PS4 day one. I'm not worried about the $50 for PS+ a year. It really is a great value, even if you own some of the games you get for free, don't forget Microsoft has been doing this for a LONG time on their side. I guess for me I don't think $50 a year is too much to ask, yes it isn't free anymore but it isn't that expensive either. As an adult it just seems silly to get up in arms over something we all knew was coming.

It sucks that you have to pay for online. As someone who only plays online 3-5 times a year, I would not spend money on that. It was the main thing that kept me away from Microsoft.

However, PS+ is a great deal. I have no problem paying for PS+ on its own merits, even without the online. Plus, if Sony spends the money on better, more secure online servers (which I can see happening... Someone should ask about that), then it isn't really anti-consumer IMO. It's funding the continued operation of their servers.

Is there confirmation of this?

Yoshida's Twitter.

I'm quite pissed about this , honestly. That's 300 bucks down the drain every 5 years... And 600 bucks over the course of a ten year console life cycle. That's the price of a new console basically to play a couple games online occasionally. I'm not a big online gamer on consoles, so i'm probably get a couple of months of plus here and there where there are must own games to play online.

Granted , PS+ gives alot of cool free games , discounts and stuff that makes that 60 bucks a year seem like an okay deal, but it's still one less game you'll be able to purchase per year with your hard earned money. It does make me consider playing my online games strictly on the PC... Where it's free... Which in turns makes me wonder if I really need a next-gen console .

I'ts also sad that Sony gets a free pass on this because Microsoft has it's foot up it's ass and they seem like saviors because of it. I feel like they snuck the online cost in there while distracting us with the "no drm, no online" stuff, making them look more gamer-friendly than they actually are. Still, considering PS4 is cheaper, that's two freebie years of Plus, in a sense... So I can't complain that much... Although I would have preferred a slightly more expensive unit with free online... Cause the difference pays itself after a couple of year of free online.

Teppic

Wasn't PS+ already successful? Why include online multiplayer? I'm not interested in PS+, and paying for just multiplayer is not for me.

I don't like this. In all the years that I've owned my PS3 I played maybe 8 games online, but for those games the online part was essential. I don't see the point in getting a PS+ subscription if I'm only going to play 2 or 3 games online a year. The free games are nice but they are usually pretty old and I just don't have the time to play all those games.

On the other hand, 50 bucks a year is basically nothing so I guess it's not that much of a con.

AkIRA_22

As a PS+ subscriber I'm not happy about it, but I'll have it at launch so it won't effect me. I can see why it would annoy people. At least there is free and discount games.

I will definetly get ps+ on ps4 launch, after seeing what you get for free, jeez. From reddit

Free games for ps+ members from June 2012 - May 2013

PS3 Retail 92 (80) Super Street Fighter IV (Arcade Edition)
PS3 Retail 91 Little Big Planet 2
PS3 Retail 89 Demon’s Souls
PS3 Retail 88 BioShock 2
PS3 Retail 84 Vanquish
PS3 Retail 84 Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition
PS3 Retail 83 Sleeping Dogs
PS3 Retail 83 Borderlands
PS3 Retail 83 inFAMOUS 2
PS3 Retail 83 Just Cause 2
PS3 Retail 82 Darksiders
PS3 Retail 82 Saints Row 2
PS3 Retail 77 Spec Ops: The Line
PS3 Retail 77 King of Fighters XIII
PS3 Retail 70 Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One
PS3 Retail 70 Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine
PS3 & Vita PSN (new) - Zombie Tycoon 2: Brainhov's Revenge
PS3 & Vita PSN 79 Knytt Undergroud
PS3 & Vita PSN 78 Retro City Rampage
PS3 & Vita PSN - Foosball 2012
PS3 PSN (new) 73 Double Dragon Neon
PS3 PSN 91 Pac-Man Championship Edition DX
PS3 PSN 84 Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
PS3 PSN 84 The Walking Dead (Ep. 1 & 2)
PS3 PSN 82 Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown
PS3 PSN 81 Closure
PS3 PSN 80 Renegade Ops
PS3 PSN 80 Dungeon Defenders
PS3 PSN 80 NFL Blitz
PS3 PSN 79 Quantum Conundrum
PS3 PSN 79 Rochard
PS3 PSN 78 Anomaly: Warzone Earth
PS3 PSN 78 Joe Danger 2: The Movie
PS3 PSN 78 Mega Man 10
PS3 PSN 77 Mega Man 9
PS3 PSN 77 Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
PS3 PSN 77 Starhawk (single-player ONLY)
PS3 PSN 76 Hard Corps: Uprising
PS3 PSN 76 Guardians of Middle Earth
PS3 PSN 73 Sideway: New York
PS3 PSN 73 The Cave
PS3 PSN 72 Gotham City Imposters
PS3 PSN 71 Choplifter HD
PS3 PSN 70 PAYDAY: The Heist
PS3 PSN 69 Bloodrayne Betrayal
PS3 PSN 68 Labyrinth Legends
PS3 PSN 67 Zombie Apocalypse: Never Die Alone
PS3 PSN 67 Malicious
Vita Retail 83 Gravity Rush
Vita Retail 83 BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend
Vita Retail 80 Uncharted: Golden Abyss
Vita Retail 79 WipEout 2048
Vita Retail 78 Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention
Vita Retail 72 Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus
Vita PSN (new) 75 Jet Set Radio
Vita PSN (new) 44 Chronovolt
Vita PSN 86 Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack
Vita PSN 79 The Pinball Arcade
Vita PSN 77 Plants vs. Zombies
Smaller Platforms Rating Game
PSP 88 Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions
PSP 82 Tekken 6
PSP 80 SoulCalibur: Broken Destiny
PSP 79 Mega Man Maverick Hunter X
PS One Classic - International Track and Field
PS One Classic - Hot Shots Golf 2
PS Mini - Ronnie O'Sullivan's Snooker
PS Mini - Farm Frenzy 2
PS Mini - Kaleidoscope

spwolf

I'm quite pissed about this , honestly. That's 300 bucks down the drain every 5 years... And 600 bucks over the course of a ten year console life cycle. That's the price of a new console basically to play a couple games online occasionally. I'm not a big online gamer on consoles, so i'm probably get a couple of months of plus here and there where there are must own games to play online.

Granted , PS+ gives alot of cool free games , discounts and stuff that makes that 60 bucks a year seem like an okay deal, but it's still one less game you'll be able to purchase per year with your hard earned money. It does make me consider playing my online games strictly on the PC... Where it's free... Which in turns makes me wonder if I really need a next-gen console .

I'ts also sad that Sony gets a free pass on this because Microsoft has it's foot up it's ass and they seem like saviors because of it. I feel like they snuck the online cost in there while distracting us with the "no drm, no online" stuff, making them look more gamer-friendly than they actually are. Still, considering PS4 is cheaper, that's two freebie years of Plus, in a sense... So I can't complain that much... Although I would have preferred a slightly more expensive unit with free online... Cause the difference pays itself after a couple of year of free online.

PS+ gives you some awesome games for $5 per month... things i got:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1dlqok/what_does_one_full_year_50_of_playstation_plus/

I mean thats crazy list of games for $48... in fact right now it is 15 months for $48.

syko de4d

Are there any people who buy X1 and PS4 and pay 100$/year to play online on both?

And lets be real, how would BF4 with 64players be possible without a paywall? The only thing they have could do different, would be do adopt the PC System, where people just rent Servers for money. That would have been badass :O

billsmugs

Anyone wanna try a #PS4FreeOnlineGaming campaign?

There were a few #PS4FreeOnline mentions in the #PS4NoDRM campaign, but not many people included them. It would be great to try but for some reason a lot of people don't seem to care judging by the threads here on GAF, so I don't know if there would be the support needed.

This. I bet half these people were complaining about the paywall last gen.

I for one didn't. When I did on a xbox and xbox360 I had NO problem paying the yearly fee, you know why? The service was DAMN GOOD. People can't provide that level of service for free, I think maybe some people are too young to understand that fact. Now if Sony was only offering what they have now and making us pay, that would be a problem, but cross game chat, hopefully a more integrated experience ala xbox live, well I have no problem with that. Again, because I understand to provide that level of service, you have to hire people who have to run the servers, code etc. you can't expect them to eat those cost, its just not realistic.

Drek

Wasn't PS+ already successful? Why include online multiplayer? I'm not interested in PS+, and paying for just multiplayer is not for me.

Because MS is moving to dedicated servers and Sony is likely going to follow suit. P2P isn't all that bad to foot the bill on. Dedicated servers aren't cheap.

I'm a PS+ subscriber for most of it's life and I'm not real crazy about them putting online behind the paywall, even though it'll grow the PS+ base and improve the exclusives I'll get. The principle of the thing and all that. But if they do go dedicated (Sony powerpoint slide said "enhanced multiplayer) then it's a bit more tolerable.

I like that it doesn't paywall video services and that it does include all the Plus benefits as well though, so while I don't think they're giving "value" with the online they're at least giving "value" for your money.

onipex

This sucks. I was thinking of buying it but now Ipnot so much. I don't see the point of having to pay for online. I'd rather go PC as my second gaming device.

Corto

more like $700 assuming a 6 yr cycle. 400+ 6*50.

I agree that Plus mandatory for online is bad form. But if you start making that contortionist math you must then subtract to those $700 the price of the IGC games and the discounts. If you do that Sony is paying you to play the PS4!!!!! /sarcasm

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
It's a bad day in the Sony Camp, but at least the PSN will get better. :)

Yep. I've paid for XBL for years, and have had PS+ for over a year, so no biggie to me anyway.

And I really hope Sony takes this cash and improves the PSN servers as it's an embarrassment how slow game downloads, game updates etc. take on PSN compared to Xbox currently.

Violater

Now I wont feel so special for having the + beside my name.
In all seriousness I hope the service only get's better and not go the other way.
Also I wish there was a way to pay for only the MP portion of certain games.

What would be interesting would be if you can play multiplayer but only basic one as in no friends list or invite or anything if you don't pay but you get all the added perks if you do, That way people that don't really care about multiplayer can try it out and see if they like it and if they do they can pay for the full service and more ease of access.
By the way has Sony said if other services like Netflix and Hulu and such are behind the paywall, it would really suck if they are.

Boss Man

Not happy with it but not too bent because PS+ is already a valuable service. I'm subbed now and would continue to be, so it's not like I'm just paying for MP an Netflix.

Still upsetting though. I guess PSN was getting to be too much for free. I wonder how they'll handle stuff like FFXIV.

Gritesh

I don't get what the issue here is?

Why would you even own a playstation device and not subscribe to ps+ in the first place? The free content alone more than makes up for the $5 a month.

And with Xbox Live charging to be a gold member offering less than what the ps+ does, it seems like a no brainer for Sony to go this route.

pestul

Well, in fairness to the 'PS+ gives you games' etc crowd, didn't MS also say they would be doing something similar with Live on Xbone? But yeah, drm and $100 more.

SirDigga

What would be interesting would be if you can play multiplayer but only basic one as in no friends list or invite or anything if you don't pay but you get all the added perks if you do, That way people that don't really care about multiplayer can try it out and see if they like it and if they do they can pay for the full service and more ease of access.
By the way has Sony said if other services like Netflix and Hulu and such are behind the paywall, it would really suck if they are.

This would be great if that happened.

Boss Man

I honestly don't see this making Plus better. More free games to more people?

I just hope it remains worth the price outside of restrictions. So long as that's the case I'm ok.

Gritesh

Well, in fairness to the 'PS+ gives you games' etc crowd, didn't MS also say they would be doing something similar with Live on Xbone? But yeah, drm and $100 more.

I thought they said until the release of the One the 360 was going to get some free live games..?

Top Bottom