• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP a GO!?

Cyport

I just hope we hear something completely out of the blue, everything seems to be known now which although I would have been begging to know this time at many previous E3s, now I look at it I'd rather get information overload during a 2hr press conference. Still I'm looking forward to all 3 conferences!

billy.sea

Banned
I was so excited to get one, but after seeing it looking so ugly I am hesitated. This is like the worse design Sony ever made.
And no touch screen is a big problem, because it means it will have the exact same type of games of the original PSP instead of expanding the possibilities.

panda21

Anastacio said:
To everyone who are worried about their current line-up of games not working. You can already get your UMDs on your PC and then to a Memorystick. So if not a transfercable, maybe we would be able to move the games from our memorystick to the internal flash.

are you talking about custom firmware? or is there some official way of doing this?

jett said:
Oh and this costing more than the current PSP would be fail of epic proportions.

Dude, even DSi sells for like $170. How much do you bet this wouldn't cost more? It would be nice it didn't, but realistically I'm not holding my breath.

FirewalkR

People people! It's nice that all this stuff (that we pretty much already knew about) is "leaked" and known before E3, because Sony will be able to use the prrrrecious conference time for the REAL megatunz!!!! :lol

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Why did they design a slot for a second analog stick but then put TWO SEMICIRCLE BUTTONS GOD SO RETARDED

2ro5a9u.jpg

another angle that shows off the shoulder button and how thin it is. Quality ain't too good because my camera is old.

jarosh

pretty damn ugly. even in the new pics.

anyway, no umd was expected, but i wonder how exactly this is gonna work. i usually wait before i buy most games until they hit the bargain bin. some great older psp games can now be found for 10 or 20 bucks or even less. however, i suppose we're gonna have to pay full price for all the downloadable games. which kinda sucks. but i guess that was expected, too. :/

Azrael

They refer to E3 in the past tense in the episode.

"With the formal announcement at this year's E3, everyone wants to get their hands on the PSP Go." That would certainly imply the announcement was already made before the episode.

It's possible that they caught wind of what MS is announcing on Monday and intentionally released the episode earlier than planned though.

iammeiam

gantz85 said:
Every pause, fast forward will need a slide-open.

I count three control buttons that should be available in closed-mode; the two shoulder buttons and the PS button (I assume power and volume are somewhere on the sides, but they don't help with the fast-forward.) Theoretically they could enable some basic controls in closed mode. Tap a shoulder button to skip forward a chapter/move left or right in SMB; PS button would act as both pause and home button (pause and bring up a menu you can cycle left/right through to return to the home screen, etc.) Hold either shoulder button to fast forward...

It wouldn't be a robust interface, but I think they might be able to make at least that work. I don't think there's the audience for it they're expecting, but it seems possible.

You can rest assured this will cost significantly more than the current PSP. It has 16GB of storage and Bluetooth. If it slides in under $249 I will be highly surprised.

I do think we'll see a price cut on the PSP-3000. If they're smart, down to $129.

Ether_Snake said:
I don't get why they would make the whole PSP Go! thing without a touchscreen, it totally limits what kind of app can be used decently on it.

Yup. I agree. Then again if Sony isn't going after that demographic than perhaps it isn't a big deal? I still think they missed a golden opportunity. After all, the DS/DSi have touch screens and some of the app's are pretty dang awesome (Animanatee) not to mention they already have the digital distribution store. Open up the PSP to app's made by the folks and boom, there you go. This system really just adds memory which you can add to the original PSP and blue tooth. Thats it.

Boss Man

The best PSP news out of this is the small games development the guy on Qore was talking about. Looks like we'll be getting nice little PSN games to download to the PSP Go (and other versions too, I'm sure). If the PSN's PS3 offerings are any indication, we're going to get a lot of great, portable games for PSP when this gets rolling.

Zilch

Banned
harSon said:
Jesus Christ :lol

Leak - any means of unintended entrance or escape.

Yes, Sony created the video in which the information was given, but it was unintentionally LEAKED to the public.

It was put up on PSN, correct? Exactly how is that "unintentional"?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
panda21 said:
are you talking about custom firmware? or is there some official way of doing this?

Yes, he is... either he doesn't realize that this is only a feature of custom firmware, or he has no idea what he is talking about.

Purely aesthetically, I just don't like the way the D and Button pads are so close to the bottom and it cuts the circles of the wells off. Other than that, it's certainly not awful.

nny

hm, fun thread.

harSon said:
I don't think they're dumb enough to purposely leak a Qore episode with a bunch of things they'd be announcing at e3 in 2 days.

The PSN monkey is confused and disorientated with all the PSX games released on PSN lately, so it made a mistake. It's understandable.

thaOwner

Adam Prime said:
Reading comments on other sites most people seem to like the new design...
As someone stated earlier. If GAF hates it then chances are its gonna be a hit and so far, .......yeah.

panda21

also how are you people expecting it to have 2 analog sticks? how were the old psp games going to work, or the games for the psp 3000 they are still selling?

Linkzg said:
2ro5a9u.jpg

another angle that shows off the shoulder button and how thin it is. Quality ain't too good because my camera is old.

Again with the slide powerbutton? Come on Sony. Give us a DSi type of option with an actual BUTTON. The power slide on many PSP's have busted over time. Man...

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
:lol Man, some of you guys have real issues with interpreting scale.

The screen is smaller than the original and the unit is thinner, so I really don't think the analog pad is as far in dimensionally as some of you seem to think. Mark my words, it'll be a lot more confortable than the original unless you have tiny little girl hands.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
BrandNew said:
Man that's thin.

Yea. I actually quite like it. Time to upgrade my psp 1000.

I wonder if I have to convert my video files to some crazy format for this new psp or can it play avi files like the ps3.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Black_Ice said:
Wait, so it doesn't have a touch screen? How do you control it when it's closed? :\

._.

Edit: Okay so I guess XMB wouldnt be good for touch controls or something.

gantz85

Banned
Linkzg said:
2ro5a9u.jpg

Well the base itself is slim but you have to add on the thickness of the sliding screen. I'm sure if we wanted someone could exrapolate its thickness based on prior measurements we have with the current PSP model. It's very very thin though.

billy.sea

Banned
HomerSimpson-Man said:
Dude, even DSi sells for like $170. How much do you bet this wouldn't cost more? It would be nice it didn't, but realistically I'm not holding my breath.

Well the DSi ADDED a lot functionality. This one... MINUS the UMD drive and only added memory.

BikoBiko

Considering buying it because of the convenience of digital distribution. I wonder how Nintendo will counter this, this'll probably be huge in Japan.

Adam Prime said:
Reading comments on other sites most people seem to like the new design...

Couple of reasons for that, but I do like how it looks. I just don't see it being comfortable, which is the biggest factor for me.

gimmmick

Looks pretty good. Though I got to see how the nub feels when I get to finally try it out (looks a little uncomfortable in the pic).

harSon

Banned
Zilch said:
It was put up on PSN, correct? Exactly how is that "unintentional"?

So you honestly believe that they intentionally put up footage revealing a good portion of their announcements for a press conference that is in 3 days? You could be right but I seriously doubt it.

KillJade

Banned
Y2Kev said:
Why did they design a slot for a second analog stick but then put TWO SEMICIRCLE BUTTONS GOD SO RETARDED

My sentiments exactly.

The spot is there, there's wasted space up above that for the Select and Start buttons easily, this SHOULD have a second analog nub.

Who would design it like this, I have no idea.

Top Bottom