• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP2 (Next Generation Portable) Announced, 2011, BC [Up3: Info In OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
psp2uisam12702.jpg

-_-

GET TO PHOTOSHOPPING BOYS!!!!!!!!!!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Interesting

Price is a big thing

How much am I willing to spend on a tiny PS3? I already have a normal sized PS3. Something to think about.

dream

My problem with this is it doesn't seem to be well thought out. There's not much real innovation here; it feels like Sony just watched what Apple and Nintendo did and decided to take a shot at using that technology without understanding why it works.

The features they're showing don't seem particularly conducive to a good mobile experience.

I can see why Kutaragi's there though. This totally seems like a "more power, more power, more power!" type project.

Cmagus

Zzoram said:
HAHAHA.

The tech in this thing sounds twice as expensive as what's in the 3DS. The PSP2 will be $399 at the cheapest.

In the back of my head I know this but but just maybe

Jea Song

Did the right thing
Zzoram said:
If it's anything under $399 they're selling it at a loss.

They should offer a phone model for $50 more or something. It seems like it has everything a smartphone does except the phone. I would replace my smartphone with this if it had decent battery life and was a phone.

What about if a skpe app came to this?

KaYotiX

Banned
Jea Song said:
This thing has to be at least $500. Think about it, how much does a retail iphone 4 go for? NGP is much more impressive tech wise.

You got a point, Sony will prolly price it at $400 or more.

To everyone predicting a ridiculous price for this thing: the same thing happened when Sony revealed the first PSP. Then we were all floored when they launched it at $200. This could very well be a ridiculously expensive device, but it might not be.

Of course, once the $200 price was revealed, everyone proceeded to predict that it was the end of Nintendo DS, and thus the end of Nintendo. Which of course continued the GAF legacy of being wrong about everything.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
has to be 399
I see it has 3g, nvm it will be 200 but you have to agree to a contract

slit

I am now convinced that SCE is retarded. I know this is gonna be priced way out mainstream acceptance, unless they're gonna take a massive loss on the hardware. I think Nintendo is pushing it with $250, with this I have to ask. Did they learn anything from last gen?

Kibbles

Nintendo Ate My Children said:
To everyone predicting a ridiculous price for this thing: the same thing happened when Sony revealed the first PSP. Then we were all floored when they launched it at $200. This could very well be a ridiculously expensive device, but it might not be.

Of course, once the $200 price was revealed, everyone proceeded to predict that it was the end of Nintendo DS, and thus the end of Nintendo. Which of course continued the GAF legacy of being wrong about everything.
PSP launched at $250, I will never forget that launch day, when I wasted $250... =( I should've waited until it got cheaper, slimmer, and better games. Actually no, I'm fine without it. This looks good, but I might hold out until the eventual slimmer/better designed version, and all the great games start coming out. I sold my DS though too, I'm just not big on portable gaming. I like my iPod Touch because when I do portable game, it's just to take out real quick and play few sessions of Angry Birds or a simple game like that.

Jea Song

Did the right thing
MThanded said:
has to be 399

And this is at a loss too. $399, and I will bite. This shit is just too damn impressive. I'll sell my iphone 4 in a heartbeat if I can somehow make calls as well. Perhaps a skype app?

btkadams

i actually am in love with the design. the ui is definitely a bit gross but im going to wait until i see an english menu system shown because i think seeing things in languages i dont understand makes it just look more cluttered than it is.

Neiteio

This looks great so far. Only question is price, and are the touchscreen controls for climbing, etc, in Uncharted really necessary. But I trust Naughty Dog, and I trust the price will come down eventually if it's too high. Hopefully having the 3DS and PSP2 on the market will foster some competition that will result in better games. And hopefully one or both will offer some great horror experiences in handheld form... as well as a new Darkstalkers. All the Hsien-Ko talk in the MvC3 thread has me wanting to play as Anakaris and company. :)

Zzoram

Jea Song said:
What about if a skpe app came to this?

If the networks didn't throttle skype to degrade it's performance and make it less attractive, then maybe that would be an acceptable alternative. I wonder what carriers will sell 3G data plans for the PSP2 and what they'll cost.

KaYotiX

Banned
Nintendo Ate My Children said:

wasnt the PSP launched at like $250?

Ravidrath

I bet they don't announce a price tonight, and will save that for E3.

Tonight is about luxuriating in the tech, May is about shaking our fists at the price.

Teknoman

Looks like this will be another generation where I end up owning two portable systems instead of just one.

Also cartridges?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This looks pretty amazing. If it's under $400 I will buy it.

big_z

$499
30 minute battery life?

Im not that interested in this. If I wanted to play console quality games i would do so at home. The reason I liked the ds so much is that it still had a lot of the classic 16bit style games. This and 3DS are not catching my interest.

Branduil

I predict $350.

The thing that most surprised me is how large it is. I haven't seen a handheld this massive since the Game Gear.

Jea Song

Did the right thing
At what price will you guys start to shake your hands at sony? I dream for $300, but could settle for $400. I shake my fist a $500.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
slit said:
I am now convinced that SCE is retarded. I know this is gonna be priced way out mainstream acceptance, unless they're gonna take a massive loss on the hardware. I think Nintendo is pushing it with $250, with this I have to ask. Did they learn anything from last gen?

I don't think the rules of last gen even remotely apply any more.

mandiller

It looks ugly and surprising pretty much just like a PSP-1000 but a bit more round at the edges. I don't know if I want to go back to something like that.

I just bought a PSP Go cheap a few days ago. I love the device and the bonus is that the 10 free games I got with it will work on this, which is nice.

The graphics look great as expected, but this might be one gadget that I'll wait for a second revision. With my PSP Go and soon to own 3DS I'm going to be pretty busy.

dream

Kodiak said:
I don't think the rules of last gen even remotely apply any more.

I think it's an even tighter game now. There are so many other (and arguably better) options that are nearly ubiquitous across the demographic that would be buying the PSP2.

Cobra84

LevityNYC said:
Nah, more likely $399... probably more. An iPhone 4 without a contract costs $599 and this tech blows it away.
Most video game systems are sold at cost or less; the iPhone is $400 of profit.

Oneself

Kinda "meh" when you first see the look... kinda "OMFG" when you see the graphics. Do I really want to touch that screen though?

BC with PSP is nice and all but I sure won't buy all of my UMD PSP games a second time. Fuck that shit. I'd rather buy a back-up PSP in case my old one breaks.

Acid08

Banned
That thing looks gigantic.

Not really feeling it, not looking for Uncharted when I want to play a portable game.

DanteFox said:
http://www.abload.de/img/idontlikeyou95ca.png[IMG][/QUOTE]
im serious, no use having all that new tech if it's not backward compatible with PSP1 and holds at least and equal battery life, don't want it to be stuck to a charger longer than i can play it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom