• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR sold out within 5 minutes (UK and German amazon store)

Guerrilla

aw man. any non up front payment options available in germany? media markt wants the cash up front, but i want to be able to be flexible if they fuck it up somehow.

Yeah, completely worthless as of now. Reminds me of Vive's announcement "We sold 15k units in the first hour!" <- We never heard anything about its sales since then. Guess it didn't go quite linear ;)

What announcement?

We're just trying to buy vr, this thread isnt about a press release.

Sjefen

Damn the thirst is real, I hope Sony is making enough until October comes along

Ee3Gqws.gif

Tingle

Would this really attract scalpers? I can't imagine it being THAT hard to get hold of. Especially selling out so early - surely there's time to increase the supply in response in time for October

Scalpers typically return their unsold stock, so there is a minimal risk involved. However, I kinda doubt this is scalpers, I don't think they alone would sell it out this fast.

How can Amazon actually be out of stock? They won't actually have any IN-STOCK at the moment anyway.

I guess they have a pre-ordered allocation, but just order more. Sony could crank out enough PSVRs for every single PS4 owner between now and release, easily. So just accept all pre-orders and build more.

That said, I got mine booked from Game.

Not pre-ordered from Game before. Any idea about how long before dispatch does money come out, and do they email you beforehand?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Just preordered, 1 minute ago, one for me and one for my brother on Amazon.it

http://www.amazon.it/dp/B01ALX7012/

Probably going to resell mine if demand will be high like with the PS4 (sold mine at launch for €700 and waited 9 months and some games to jump back in) otherwise I'm gonna keep it if I'm not short on money.

It'll be a definite pre-ordered allocation

Which is probably sold out and hence why we got a sold out caption before

And now it's switched to pre-order to gauge interest and go to Sony with cap doffed requesting more

Which will assumably be first come first served

ShopTo still have them in stock. They also have a bundle that comes with the camera too.

Don't expect them to stick around much longer though.

F-Pina

I honestly don't understand how can something that doesn't yet exist in a warehouse stored somewhere can be "sold out".
Do they limit the number of pre-orders based on some specific number that Sony tells them or are they limiting based on the capacity to store the boxes?

Does this really mean anything at this point - surely Sony won't have a clear idea of what their supplies will be to each retailer for several months yet? I mean, if it's releasing in October surely they won't even be in production at all until about June or July?

DiGiKerot

That's what I mean, you can order freely again now, but the October date has been removed from the product page when it was there originally.

At this point I'm going to guess they've sold out their initial allocation and want an out on guaranteeing release-day delivery whilst still accepting pre-orders.

Wiggy

That's not accurate. Tried to order another one to my brothers address and it wouldn't go through. They would need totally new accounts on top of that.

Oh yeah I know that. New accounts aren't hard to set up, I was more confused about people getting around the address thing in large quantities.

aw man. any non up front payment options available in germany? media markt wants the cash up front, but i want to be able to be flexible if they fuck it up somehow.
What? That's not normal for them. I pre-ordered some games from their online store before, and while they checked my card for the order's total, they didn't charge the card before shipping.

What payment option did you choose? Or is this a new limitation for preordering devices?

Hasney

I honestly don't understand how can something that doesn't yet exist in a warehouse stored somewhere can be "sold out".
Do they limit the number of pre-orders based on some specific number that Sony tells them or are they limiting based on the capacity to store the boxes?

They'll have a unit advisement to go off of. That's the limit of their currently planned manufacturing most likely.

Like when the Wii was sold out, they were making as much as they could. They can't just flick a switch and make more quicker, that has to be planned in.

Guerrilla

What? That's not normal for them. I pre-ordered some games from their online store before, and while they checked my card for the order's total, they didn't charge the card before shipping.

What payment option did you choose? Or is this a new limitation for preordering devices?

I tried paypal and it looks like i have to pay right away. if I choose credit card there's no indication if it is charged later down the line or right away

LexW

Neo Member
It's definitely back and open to pre-orders on Amazon UK now, but they actively say there's no date for it.

Hope retailers stock enough cameras for all the people going "WTF I NEED A CAMERA?!" the day after launch. Argos going to be busy...

Exciting, anyway. If VR is going to take off soon, this will be how.

Dash Kappei

How can Amazon actually be out of stock? They won't actually have any IN-STOCK at the moment anyway.

I guess they have a pre-ordered allocation, but just order more. Sony could crank out enough PSVRs for every single PS4 owner between now and release, easily. So just accept all pre-orders and build more.

That said, I got mine booked from Game.

Not pre-ordered from Game before. Any idea about how long before dispatch does money come out, and do they email you beforehand?

Are you guys kidding?
This happens all the time with sought after items on launch day and sometimes it keeps going for months after until production keeps up with demand.
Amazon has a preorder number allocation to work with.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I'd say Sony is being really conservative about day one shipments. I guess they're using preorders to tune their shipment capacity though - if preorders are strong, I wouldn't be surprised if more day one stock is made available in time.

Dash Kappei

Btw Amazon.it preorders are the only ones which still deliver on launch day even if you order right now, other Amazon stores don't guarantee day1 anymore.

I tried paypal and it looks like i have to pay right away. if I choose credit card there's no indication if it is charged later down the line or right away
Ah, yeah, PayPal charges your card/account immediately. But that's a thing not by Media Markt / Saturn but rather PayPal.

Like i said, with my preorders so far, my CC was charged at shipping, but they checked my card for the oder's total right after pre-ordering, but no amount was charged.

Seeing how many are getting this pre-ordered is getting my more hyped.

I might have to hang at the back of the extraction zone when you all pick yours up and drop a Seeker Mine in, nick your stuff and pick it up at my base of operations.

Spades

Didn't Oculus pre-orders also sell out within minutes, at a much higher price?

It doesn't really mean shit if no money is taken.

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden
I got a ShopTo pre-order for the PSVR and camera for £389.86. I would have preferred Amazon UK, but it can't be helped.

Portugeezer

You can still pre-order on Amazon UK.

Is the delivery date still the first few days of October?

Placeholder date is now 31st of October, so normal delivery says November.

I wouldn't look into it too much, it's not even out yet, they don't even have them. They should order whatever they can to meet their demand.

Maybe the estimated delivery date is just due to their stock allocation and the amount of orders they have had so far.

Not sure how much the figures are for either though, because i had to add my new card to my amazon account i didnt put my order through until 11:03 and the delivery date had changed to the 5th.

We shall see what happens though, i just hope i get it on day 1!

F-Pina

Are you guys kidding?
This happens all the time with sought after items on launch day and sometimes it keeps going for months after until production keeps up with demand.
Amazon has a preorder number allocation to work with.

They'll have a unit advisement to go off of. That's the limit of their currently planned manufacturing most likely.
Like when the Wii was sold out, they were making as much as they could. They can't just flick a switch and make more quicker, that has to be planned in.

Not kidding. I was really curious how they reach these conclusions.
So they get an allocation number. Thanks.

As for me, I always just walk into the store and buy it. Pre-ordering is really not my thing (I must be getting old and suspicious).

Top Bottom