• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Public Announcement: Tales of the Abyss 3DS is out today

PKrockin

Question: what sort of sidequests are there to get things that actually change the game mechanics? Like how I found that one flag that lets you change the displayed character, and the ring that lets you go to manual control (though that might have been given to me as an event, don't quite remember where I picked it up.)

Besides Artes, C. Cores, and items, there are some optional and mandatory upgrades for Mieu and your transportation.

How do I get money? It takes like 50 battles to buy one piece of equipment and I have 5 party members x 4 pieces of equipment each...

You don't have to buy everything for every character :p

Money is hard to come by early in this game. At about 20%ish through the game you get a Sephira which gives you a +50% Gald bonus when equipped and money isn't too much of an issue afterwards.

Verelios

Game is so good. Just came off my first boss battle... two monsters and one caster. Good job Namco :p. Was an intense battle, used 2 Life Bottles and some gels. Otherwise not hard so far, but good enough challenge. Basically 5 hours in!

God damn, at least you were smart enough to have life bottles. I was raped with only 3 orange gels, Tear going insta derp on me with no heal support, jade subsequently using up all my orange gels (wtf is this?), and then Guy going in to be insta-killed.

Worst 18 minutes ever. Seriously. Had to play hit and run the whole time. They all died in under 5 minutes.

PKrockin

Why does everyone keep lying to me? Yes you do!!

Come to think of it, I see this a lot. Wonder why everyone feels this way. IMO if you always have enough money to buy the best of everything available you almost might as well not have the whole buying/selling weapons/armor system in the first place.

Anyway, just know that if you do grind out the money as soon as the equipment is available you're going to end up significantly overleveled.

Emitan

Come to think of it, I see this a lot. Wonder why everyone feels this way. IMO if you always have enough money to buy the best of everything available you almost might as well not have the whole buying/selling weapons/armor system in the first place.

Because I like watching numbers go up

God damn, at least you were smart enough to have life bottles. I was raped with only 3 orange gels, Tear going insta derp on me with no heal support, jade subsequently using up all my orange gels (wtf is this?), and then Guy going in to be insta-killed.

Worst 18 minutes ever. Seriously. Had to play hit and run the whole time. They all died in under 5 minutes.

Oh good, I'm not the only one who got raped there.

I haven't touched the game since. I'm not sure if I'm under leveled, I have to change my party's tactics, or just learn the combat system MUCH better.

PKrockin

Just came across this on another thread. I'm surprised it's being advertised at all at this point.

FAMF8.jpg

Just came across this on another thread. I'm surprised it's being advertised at all at this point.

FAMF8.jpg

"Please, buy the last three remaining copies of our game from its first and only shipment!"

really kinda wish they'dve had text on the bottom screen where nothing's really going on. i'm gonna try again but part of me thinks i might sit on this until the eventual XL model.

Eventually you get a world map that's always on which is pretty nice to have. And between touch shortcuts for healing in battle and touch shortcuts for cooking, I feel like they used both screens fairly admirably for a simple port.

I also use the big button on the menu screen to switch between Artes and Chambers.

Duxxy3

I picked up my copy a couple days ago at gamestop. I was surprised when they gave me a sealed copy of the game. So that store still has at least one more copy in stock.

Actually, comparing the two (I never played the PS2 original), while I like the old font better I do like that the new one appears to be more compact. In practice, 20 hours in, I'm totally fine with the new font. On a 400x240 screen it is quite clear.

Best way to take on the first boss is to play crazy aggro with Luke while having Tear cast her fonic hymn. Hit the boss with a basic 3 hit + arte combo, then DEFEND until the boss hits you. Have Tear heal Luke after her fonic hymn stuns the boss. Repeat til Jade appears and you basically win.

The first boss is the liger queen!

But neither that boss or the second one gave me too much trouble. Of course I wasn't playing in hard and I was a bit overleveled.

mclem

Anyway, just know that if you do grind out the money as soon as the equipment is available you're going to end up significantly overleveled.

One thing I really liked about ToV - the first Tales game I played - was how tightly-tuned the economy was; it really made the shopping side of things *matter*.

Datschge

Not sure where to post this as I don't consider this newsworthy but the "OT" is ages old and inactive for an equally long time.
Anyway in Tales of the Heroes: Twin Braves not even the staff roll mentions the developer by name but much of the staff is from Alfa System.

Sagitario

Well, my 2 copies arrived today... YAY! :D

Not sure where to post this as I don't consider this newsworthy but the "OT" is ages old and inactive for an equally long time.
Anyway in Tales of the Heroes: Twin Braves not even the staff roll mentions the developer by name but much of the staff is from Alfa System.

Interesting.
After RM, ToI and now TB [haven't read any impressions of it], I hope they take a Tales break.
And this is coming from someone who enjoyed the first RM and [the combat of] ToI.
I heard RM2 was really good, though (I have no idea about RM3).

KarmaCow

Crap I killed the
second sword dancer before learning that you could farm him for Grass Chambers
. Is there any other way to farm for more?

KarmaCow

How do I activate my limit break? :O

You mean over limit or the mystic arte? If it's the latter you need to get the AD skill 'Special'. Once you have that, activate overlimit but press right on the dpad and hold down Y (or basic attack) while performing a high arte it should trigger after the arte is finished.

I don't know the requirements for Special and I think high arte means an art with a box around the icon.

PKrockin

Crap I killed the

No, not unless you complete the collector's book.

You mean over limit or the mystic arte? If it's the latter you need to get the AD skill 'Special'. Once you have that, activate overlimit but press right on the dpad and hold down Y (or basic attack) while performing a high arte it should trigger after the arte is finished.

I don't know the requirements for Special and I think high arte means an art with a box around the icon.

Special is learned at level 30, but Luke can't use his Mystic Arte until a certain point in the story.

Luke, Guy, Anise, and Natalia must use an Arcane Arte, Jade must use a High Spell, and Tear can do it with a Hymn or High Spell. You can tell what's an Arte or Spell and what level it is by the icon and description.

I've managed to do a FoF accidentally a few times now, but it seems that I'm just performing my special moves until it accidentally happens at this point.

Also, it seems everyone has learned something called Overlimit. Haven't had an explanation on that either.
I read somewhere it's activated by pushing right on the d pad.

PKrockin

I've managed to do a FoF accidentally a few times now, but it seems that I'm just performing my special moves until it accidentally happens at this point.

Tales of the Abyss - Field of Fonons Guide

Also, it seems everyone has learned something called Overlimit. Haven't had an explanation on that either.

The green bar below HP and TP is your overlimit bar. It fills up when you attack enemies (and when you're damaged I think?). Activating overlimit knocks back nearby enemies, and while in overlimit you take less damage, can't be staggered and can do Mystic Artes if you've learned the AD Skill "Special."

Yep, that's right. And if you hold down 'A' while using an Arcane Arte during an Overlimit you'll use a Mystic Arte once your Arcane Arte is finished.

Crap I killed the

I don't believe so.

However, the third Sword Dancer can be farmed for Sunlight Chambers, (Of which there are only 6 of normally acquired in the game, one of them only available during a second playthrough) though, so you might want to keep that in mind when you encounter it.

I'm stuck in the
abandoned factory. What do you do after you push the oil drum down and can't light it? It says you're supposed to fill the drum with oil, but all the FAQs I read don't make any sense or aren't very clear.

I'm stuck in the
abandoned factory. What do you do after you push the oil drum down and can't light it? It says you're supposed to fill the drum with oil, but all the FAQs I read don't make any sense or aren't very clear.
walk onto the vents until you stand right above where you pushed the oil drum. You might need to go to the machine that changes the oil flow.

KarmaCow

I don't believe so.

However, the third Sword Dancer can be farmed for Sunlight Chambers, (Of which there are only 6 of normally acquired in the game, one of them only available during a second playthrough) though, so you might want to keep that in mind when you encounter it.

No, not unless you complete the collector's book.

Special is learned at level 30, but Luke can't use his Mystic Arte until a certain point in the story.

Luke, Guy, Anise, and Natalia must use an Arcane Arte, Jade must use a High Spell, and Tear can do it with a Hymn or High Spell. You can tell what's an Arte or Spell and what level it is by the icon and description.

Bah alright thanks.

That doesn't seem to be the answer. Anybody else have any ideas?

Go back to the previous room; there's a machine with two lights there -- one red and one blue -- that changes the oil flow. You should see the oil get redirected to a can above you when you use it. Ride the cart next to the machine back up where you came from, then go right and go down the ladder; light that oil drum, and you'll be able to access a new machine and continue your progress.

Go back to the previous room; there's a machine with two lights there -- one red and one blue -- that changes the oil flow. You should see the oil get redirected to a can above you when you use it. Ride the cart next to the machine back up where you came from, then go right and go down the ladder; light that oil drum, and you'll be able to access a new machine and continue your progress.

Thanks, I've done that part, but I'm stuck on how to fill up that barrel I pushed. You'd think that the drips would eventually fill it up. ~_~

I can't believe how none of the FAQs are clear.

Ha! I just discovered this little screw up.

Namco, be more careful when you port a non-widescreen game to widescreen...

ZFNly.jpg

Intersecting walls and such, honestly! :p

So...am I the only one that actually kinda likes the font in the 3DS version? I understand it looks crude and kinda jagged but it's also...sharp and slick. (Not sure how to really convey that.)

Thanks, I've done that part, but I'm stuck on how to fill up that barrel I pushed. You'd think that the drips would eventually fill it up. ~_~

I can't believe how none of the FAQs are clear.

And you tried the new console? You should have access now to a new path that leads you to the pipes overhanging the room where that barrel is. You step on the pipe over the barrel and it collapses slightly and gushes out a whole bunch of oil -- make sure that you use the oil machine to redirect it to that pipe, though.

And you tried the new console? You should have access now to a new path that leads you to the pipes overhanging the room where that barrel is. You step on the pipe over the barrel and it collapses slightly and gushes out a whole bunch of oil -- make sure that you use the oil machine to redirect it to that pipe, though.

New console. I'll look into it. It's at the platform where you light the dripping oil drum above the switch where you direct the oil, right?

I don't quite remember, but I'm pretty sure the game's camera pans over to show you the new console once you've lit the oil drum. It should've done that for all of the other drum/console combinations, I think.

jokkir

What is the suggested level I should be at? Sorta spoilers

I'm in Choral Castle and I'm guessing I'm out to fight Arietta

Top Bottom