• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Public Announcement: Tales of the Abyss 3DS is out today

Just hit the 60 hour mark and I finished
Tower of Rem

God, the final 3rd of the game is so drawn out and boring. It's essentially ping-ponging between each city. Doesn't help that I kinda burned myself out by stealing 60 Sunlight Chambers before killing SD3.

Razlo

A little over 7 hours in and I'm really enjoying it. I only played Vesperia previously, but I look forward to playing the rest since I liked that and Abyss is great too.

GameE

Ok I need guidence. Im not the biggest rpg fan around but I thought this looked cool and I never played a Tales game before and wanted to start with this on my 3DS. I didnt get it yet because Ive been spending a lot on games lately but now Im seeing that its selling out everywhere. Even tho Ive been buying a lot and this is $40, should I get this even if Im not a huge RPG fan/never played Tales before but want to try it? I feel like I should go for it if I find it (might be too late anyway tho).

Sorry for the wall of text :\

Ricker

?So I'm 30 minutes in and hate most of the characters. Is this normal?

Yes and no...so far I still kinda hate Luke but Tear is awesome from the start I think(10 hours in).

Ok I need guidence. Im not the biggest rpg fan around but I thought this looked cool and I never played a Tales game before and wanted to start with this on my 3DS. I didnt get it yet because Ive been spending a lot on games lately but now Im seeing that its selling out everywhere. Even tho Ive been buying a lot and this is $40, should I get this even if Im not a huge RPG fan/never played Tales before but want to try it? I feel like I should go for it if I find it (might be too late anyway tho).

If you have a PS3 why not pre-order Tales of Grace instead,coming out next week.

Boney

Banned

Haven't played Abyss, but Tales games have a reputation of having terrible stories with a nice combat system. If you think you can put your brain on hold for 50 hours, then you could go for it, but if you're not that big of an RPG fan I'd recommend going with safer bets.

If you have a PS3 why not pre-order Tales of Grace instead,coming out next week.

But that's even more expensive.

GameE

I like playing RPGs more on handhelds. I dont know why.

Haven't played Abyss, but Tales games have a reputation of having terrible stories with a nice combat system. If you think you can put your brain on hold for 50 hours, then you could go for it, but if you're not that big of an RPG fan I'd recommend going with safer bets.

Thanks, Ill think about it.

Boney

Banned

Disclaimer, my experience with the Tales franchise is minimal, so just take what I said as my own opinion, most in this thread appear to be enjoying the game a lot.

if you like RPG's on handhelds you could go with PSP or DS games.

GameE

Disclaimer, my experience with the Tales franchise is minimal, so just take what I said as my own opinion, most in this thread appear to be enjoying the game a lot.

if you like RPG's on handhelds you could go with PSP or DS games.

Yea. Only reason why I wanted this is because I wanted to try Tales and I like RPGs on handhelds more. And I thought I might regret this if its completely gone in like a month and I didnt buy it.

Ricker

Then if you can find it,go for it...I actually love the 3D for this game,even with the alliasing and jaggies it creates,out of combat I slide the 3D switch up and I don't know but it seems to immerse me even more...maybe it's just because it's the first time I play a JRPG in 3D like this,but I like it.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
22 hours or so in.

The backtracking is getting ridiculous.

I'm around the same point. I haven't played in a while ... but, I'll get back into it eventually. Right now it kind of feels like a chore.

This game is starting to feel like a chore and is very boring. The battle system is button mashing nonsense, and the story and characters are reprehensible.

I've decided to put this up on ebay. Hopefully I won't lose much money on it.

Ricker

I'm currently stuck in the Abandonned Factory,even reading the walkthrough over at Gamefaqs,I can't seem to find the pipe he is talking about to fill that oil barrell...also,how do you change members on the 3DS,he says he switched to Natalia over Tear for the Boss fight,if I ever get the hell out of there lol...

Jucksalbe

Banned
I'm currently stuck in the Abandonned Factory,even reading the walkthrough over at Gamefaqs,I can't seem to find the pipe he is talking about to fill that oil barrell...

This is from my memory of about a week ago:
There should be a pipe right above the oil barrel that bents when you walk on it (if you're talking about the one you can push around: push it under the one pipe that bents). Your problem might be, that you first have to turn a valve in the lower right of the map to redirect the oil flow.

also,how do you change members on the 3DS,he says he switched to Natalia over Tear for the Boss fight,if I ever get the hell out of there lol...

In the main menu, press right and then X (I think, look at the legend at the bottom) to switch members.

Ricker

This is from my memory of about a week ago:
There should be a pipe right above the oil barrel that bents when you walk on it (if you're talking about the one you can push around: push it under the one pipe that bents). Your problem might be, that you first have to turn a valve in the lower right of the map to redirect the oil flow.

In the main menu, press right and then X (I think, look at the legend at the bottom) to switch members.

Cool thanks,got it,I had done all you said just didn't see that elevator right besides the switch to go up lol...my 3DS is set to the save battery setting so the contrast is not that great in this game and that section was like grey on grey stuff hehe...

Is it bad that I finally received my copy and now have basically no desire to play it? : /

it stood on my desk for two months before I finally decided to play it, having cleared most of my backlog. I'm glad I did because it's a great Tales of...game. I just had to summon some willpower

Just to let people know, Amazon has the game back in stock.
Too bad I have to deal with imports right now. Play-Asia, where you at?

I have had multiple opportunities to buy an used copy, but noooooooo, I want to support this fucking franchise.

"Bububu Tales of doesn't sell in the west!" Bamco doing the most as usual.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
The backtracking in this game is ... weird.

Just spent like an hour doing the whole thing at Meggiora Highlands, with the different entrances, only to be told 'we don't know how to do this so lets go back to __ city and ask someone there

There's a lot of those types of moments in this game. I don't know if it's a normal JRPG thing (I don't play them that often) but it's becoming really irritating lol.

Ultratech

The backtracking in this game is ... weird.

Just spent like an hour doing the whole thing at Meggiora Highlands, with the different entrances, only to be told 'we don't know how to do this so lets go back to __ city and ask someone there

There's a lot of those types of moments in this game. I don't know if it's a normal JRPG thing (I don't play them that often) but it's becoming really irritating lol.

Yeah...that's one of the major flaws of Abyss. Lots and lots of somewhat unnecessary backtracking. Better get used to it.

Yeah...that's one of the major flaws of Abyss. Lots and lots of somewhat unnecessary backtracking. Better get used to it.

It is a huge flaw of the franchise.

Now that Tales is pretty much one of the top jrpg franchises... you'd think the games would get a better budget.

No, now they are just packed to the rim with cash shop bullshit.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member

I think I've got a third or so left of the game (I hope). I just want to finish it. I've heard Vesperia and Graces are better games than Abyss, but Abyss is the first Tales game I've ever played.

I think I've got a third or so left of the game (I hope). I just want to finish it. I've heard Vesperia and Graces are better games than Abyss, but Abyss is the first Tales game I've ever played.

Abyss probably has the most rounded cast. Vesperia has it's issues, but it looks great. Graces has a really cool battle system, but everything else is ok to really bad (3 note dungeon music on loop).

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
31 hours in and I feel like quitting. I'm just not having fun any more =/.

jackdoe

I'm at 12 hours in, and I have to say, after a certain scene, the entire cast becomes completely unlikeable. It's really something when you like an antagonist more than the main characters. Maybe it will change, but this scene just really sours the mood.

Giolon

I finally beat the game last night! My final clock time was 54:42. I loved it. Loved the characters, loved the battle system, and loved the ending. Field of Fonons seemed a bit useless at first but as characters leveled up and more Artes that generated full fields in a single cast became available, their use became pretty frequent and strategic. But damn did it suck when a boss managed to drop an FoF Change on your face.

Tear wins best JRPG female of the ever IMO - not weak, not the damsel in distress, not naive, not the martyr, and not typically tsundere. She tries to hide her emotions as a soldier, but she's also not afraid of interacting with other people as a human being and even shows empathy frequently. In addition, having Luke be an unlikeable jerkwad at the start did a lot for his character growth. I felt he was a better character than the gung-ho do-gooder Lloyd or the dark, "get in our way and I'll kill you" nature of Yuri. Luke actually got to develop and change over the course of the game. Instead it was
Asch
who never changed. I also felt the final villain was more compelling than either Symphonia or Vesperia and less of a left-field insert.

Of the three Tales games I've played, I think I'd place Abyss tops, Symphonia second, and Vesperia third.

I do agree that it seems a bit padded out. A lot of the backtracking could have been streamlined and more quick exits from the bottom of dungeons would have been nice. They do give you Autopilot on your ship to warp around after about 60% of the game which helps.

And damn,
Nam Cobanda Isle
is way more hidden here than it was in Vesperia.

Alrix

I finally beat the game last night! My final clock time was 54:42. I loved it. Loved the characters, loved the battle system, and loved the ending. Field of Fonons seemed a bit useless at first but as characters leveled up and more Artes that generated full fields in a single cast became available, their use became pretty frequent and strategic. But damn did it suck when a boss managed to drop an FoF Change on your face.

Tear wins best JRPG female of the ever IMO - not weak, not the damsel in distress, not naive, not the martyr, and not typically tsundere. She tries to hide her emotions as a soldier, but she's also not afraid of interacting with other people as a human being and even shows empathy frequently. In addition, having Luke be an unlikeable jerkwad at the start did a lot for his character growth. I felt he was a better character than the gung-ho do-gooder Lloyd or the dark, "get in our way and I'll kill you" nature of Yuri. Luke actually got to develop and change over the course of the game. Instead it was
Asch
who never changed. I also felt the final villain was more compelling than either Symphonia or Vesperia and less of a left-field insert.

Of the three Tales games I've played, I think I'd place Abyss tops, Symphonia second, and Vesperia third.

I do agree that it seems a bit padded out. A lot of the backtracking could have been streamlined and more quick exits from the bottom of dungeons would have been nice. They do give you Autopilot on your ship to warp around after about 60% of the game which helps.

And damn,
Nam Cobanda Isle
is way more hidden here than it was in Vesperia.

I love Tear. <3

disco

Just to let people know; a third European print run seems to be available. Bought my copy the other day from Amazon.

So was this the wrong game to try to get me into the Tales series? Most of you guys don't seem like you're having fun and the combat....I just don't get it. It's like a weak action RPG but there's not a lot of action you can perform (at least early in the game) and it seems like it's going to be a long time until they explain the point of the plot at all.

Should I have started with another Tales get to ease myself into the series' customs and traditions before hitting this one?

So was this the wrong game to try to get me into the Tales series? Most of you guys don't seem like you're having fun and the combat....I just don't get it. It's like a weak action RPG but there's not a lot of action you can perform (at least early in the game) and it seems like it's going to be a long time until they explain the point of the plot at all.

Should I have started with another Tales get to ease myself into the series' customs and traditions before hitting this one?

nope. This is arguably one of the 'better' ones. If you don't get it. well... yeah.

Graces F has a better battle system, but everything else... =/

Also, tbh most action rpgs tend to have you use your default attack like 90% of the game anyways ;)

Top Bottom