• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Putin Critic Boris Nemtsov Shot Dead on Moscow Street

Status
Not open for further replies.

braves01

Banned
Anyone spot what is wrong with this picture?

B-4349GWwAAAwe0.jpg:large

Blasting the crime scene with water before any investigation took place?

BobLoblaw

Banned
People don't get killed in Russia because they need to die. They get killed a a warning to others. Just read about all the high profile murders in Russia over the past 15 years.
This. Just like that guy who was kill with polonium. It's about sending a message. Just like the fucking cartels and dictatorships of the world. Fuck subtlety when you want people to know how far you'll go. Russian people need to stop acting like sheep and do something about this.

Engell

Wouldn't it be pretty safe to assume that this place would have some surveillance cameras? It's a key bridge, near important landmarks.

CIA conspiracies already being floated by life news

Also they're saying it was the Ukrainians or some abortion gone wrong.

I wish I was making this up

Nabbis

In retrospect, this does seem rather convenient. Right as Russia's image can't get any worse. Im not sure if the domestic benefit for this is even there for Putin, the current regime is about as rooted as it can be.(Unless there's something going on among the more private circles)

Yamauchi

Banned
Looks like your typical false flag CIA operation. Possibly Ukrainian SBU.

Putin killing Russia's Ralph Nader in front of the Kremlin? Doubtful.

Kathian

Banned
Whoever did this was a fucking idiot. Christ.

This is just stupid. You need opposition to take power to influence.
This was likely not Putin but someone else on the pro-Russian side of or the actions in Ukraine; but I am not in disbelief that Putin might be getting dangerously unhinged with paranoia and power.

It feels like the failure of his policies in Ukraine pre-maiden have shaken him somewhat. A lot of the Ukrainian conflict just seems like escalation for no reason.

Engell

Soon pictures will appear showing that the car used in the assassination had Ukrainian license plates, and a sticker on the back with a swastika.

Dr.Acula

Banned
People need to stop thinking Putin is a Westerner and the political landscape is like that in the EU or US.

This is Soviet style politicking. Were you expecting a sex scandal? Bribery allegations? It's Russia.

Yamauchi

Banned
Putin is more of a 'blow up an apartment building and use it as a pretext to invade Chechnya' guy, not a 'kill an insignificant and unpopular politician in front of the Kremlin' guy. That's just my opinion.

Purkake4

Banned
Putin is more of a 'blow up an apartment building and use it as a pretext to invade Chechnya' guy, not a 'kill an insignificant and unpopular politician in front of the Kremlin' guy. That's just my opinion.
Everyone's tightening their belts, can't go all flashy explody in these troubled economic times.

insignficant and unpopular? he was one of the leaders of the pro-democracy movement, and Putin is terrified of creeping revolutionary sentiment (as he should be).

Also, this from Petro Poroshenko on G+:

President Poroshenko said:
Shock. Boris killed.

Hard to believe it.

I remember his smile, his bold ideas. One of the few who can be called a friend.

He was a bridge between Ukraine and Russia. This is a shot killers destroyed. I think it is no accident.

Undoubtedly, the killer will be punished.

Sooner or later.

The memories ...

ISOM

Russia's economy is tanking and Putin is eliminating all potential political enemies. It seems pretty clear cut to me.

I think it's about time we put Putin up there with Kim Jong Un on the domestic terrorist list. It's clear to see they're both willing to wipe out anyone who opposes them. Our politicians are just crooks. They know how to take an L.

Xenex

So the CIA or Ukrainian SBU are more likely candidates...

Please state their motives for killing an anti Putin candidate.

antonz

Tomorrows March has been officially cancelled now as well. Instead a memorial will be held. So Putin gets a double win.

Tenrius

Tomorrows March has been officially cancelled now as well. Instead a memorial will be held. So Putin gets a double win.

It's still supposed to be a big event, only the theme is changed. Plus they are planning to relocate it to the central part of the city instead of the middle of nowhere the city hall insisted on. I'm not sure if that's the best course of action, personally. The motive is that the rally was supposed to be a very bright, jovial affair, with an almost festive mood. Green balloons everywhere, etc.

The reasoning behind changing everything up they gave officially is that such a mood would be inappropriate after a tragic event like this.

Mully

You constantly post Russian propaganda. I can never take you seriously.

It is awful to see Russia spiraling out of control.

I think Putin is now in so deep with corruption and crimes that there is no way he can give up power without ending up in jail. So he is just going to push harder to do everything possible to tighten his grip on things. More propaganda, more nationalism, more demagoguery, more blaming the west for every problem in Russia, etc. And none of that is going to help the Russian economy or people. :-(

Xenex

Obviously this is a pretext for the imminent NATO invasion of Russia.

Clearly, the NATO War Drums are being manufactured as we speak, demand is hot!

You constantly post Russian propaganda. I can never take you seriously.

Don't worry, I doubt he'll respond to my request. These Russians propagandist tend to pull a Threxit as soon as they come up against common sense.

Define Threxit: Thread Exit.

antonz

It's still supposed to be a big event, only the theme is changed. Plus they are planning to relocate it to the central part of the city instead of the middle of nowhere the city hall insisted on. I'm not sure if that's the best course of action, personally. The motive is that the rally was supposed to be a very bright, jovial affair, with an almost festive mood. Green balloons everywhere, etc.

The reasoning behind changing everything up they gave officially is that such a mood would be inappropriate after a tragic event like this.

Yeah I cant see this ending very well. There is no way they got official ok to move the march which just means militarized police and lots of Armored vehicles will be waiting to fill the jails

RyanDG

Man, I just got done watching Anthony Bourdain's Parts Unknown this past weekend about Russia. Bourdain actually had a sit down dinner/interview with him. The episode is up on Netflix for those interested in seeing it. There was a tenseness to the interview and the whole scenario that seemed odd.

Quote from the interview:

This is my country. The Russian people are in bit of trouble. Russian court doesn't work. Russian education decline every year. I believe that Russia has a chance to be free. Has a chance. It's difficult, but we must do it.

Cheerilee

Good to have friends in KGB.

After Putin allegedly blew up an apartment building as an excuse to go to war, the families wanted to see the evidence, and Putin wasn't giving it, so they hired an ex-KGB private investigator.

The PI's KGB buddies told him "Professional courtesy, stop asking questions." He said "Well I've gotta investigate something, so I'll just look around for a while."

Then the military stopped him at a random checkpoint to search his car, and after they found nothing, he was closing his trunk and one of the soldiers tossed a black-market firearm into his trunk. He was startled and asked "What?" and heard "He's got a gun!" He got tackled and arrested and did some prison time, at which point he said "Okay, I'm done asking questions."

Allegedly.

A locale that's spawned so many great minds like Tolstoy, Rachmaninoff, Tchaikovsky, Mendeleev, etc. I have such a hard time making sense of how a place that spawned these geniuses also is a safe haven for thugs and corruption.

Tenrius

Yeah I cant see this ending very well. There is no way they got official ok to move the march which just means militarized police and lots of Armored vehicles will be waiting to fill the jails

That's why I'm saying I'm not sure it's the best course of action. There are several different possible scenarios at this point, though. Gudkov et al have been on the phone with the city hall for a long time tonight and they agreed to resume the discussion at 11 AM. Judging by that they're willing to talk at all and by the general tone of official reaction (all kinds of high-ranking crooks from Putin and Medvedev to low-ranking Duma clowns condemning it), they might allow such an event. Propaganda can be a pretty useful tool for telling what its source is actually thinking at the moment, especially if you're used to it. I don't think it'll necessarily end up this way, it's just not unlikely.

Some other options exist, too. If the authorities do not give their permission, the rally will almost inevitably be held in the central part of the city, but I don't think the police will interfere too much. Even during the December 30 rally there were just a few hundred taken in (none of whom were charged), that's with a mere 2-3 thousand overall attendees. This event will inevitably be massive and, to start with, will be hard to interfere with with due to large amounts of people. Another very important thing to consider is that the Russian authorities (that does not necessarily means Putin, by the way) like to make an example sometimes by allowing a large and peaceful rally in order to show everybody how useless these events really are (and the worst thing is that they are right, these rallies do not really help the cause they are supposed to stand for). The latest case was the antiwar march last September, just some six months ago, and what's scheduled for this Sunday looks to fit the bill as well.

I'm going to rant a bit about the general situation now, sorry in advance for taking up a lot of screen space:

So I don't think this grimdark picture of yours is quite accurate, but that's not necessarily a good thing. Russia is not like Ukraine and nothing like Maidan is possible here, because both the opposition and the official government here are essentially toothless and spineless. The former lack any power or means to influence the overall situation and they don't have political will and culture to form a real political movement that could gain traction, so they're relegated to hosting meaningless rallies and endlessly trying to figure out who's the best democrat among themselves. Those affiliated with the latter are not really that organized either and they certainly do not have any conventional political will, but what they have instead is lots of money, as well as the police and the army along with many other state-run institutions, and they also feel that they are somehow obligated to act according to a ridiculous set of principles that is mostly Soviet legacy (which is the most unfortunate thing of all). As a result, every action they take follows an erratic pattern, does not make a lot of sense and is not really coordinated (and yes, that includes the Ukrainian crisis).

And so it goes. Do not think of Russia as an evil police state superpower where any dissent is promptly suppressed and the opposition is so weak because it has to withstand all that persecution. It's more like a fight of two senile old men nowadays, one of whom feels that something's not right and tries to fix it, but is not really willing to fight, or, indeed, knows how to, while the other is essentially the same but has a huge stick in his hand he tries to beat the other with sometimes, without any real success or even desire to fight. The gist of it is that the both sides are mostly the same, burdened by their toxic Soviet legacy (in terms of culture, political and overall, ideology, methods). Boris Nemtsov, a highly controversial person, despised and considered a crook by many, was just an accidental victim of this pointless struggle, not a spearhead of a bold political movement that does not exist.

Gorger

Russia has been threading on a very dark path for a long time now. It's utterly sad to see.

Stay safe Russian-gaf critics to their own government.

I'd think a murder in the streets is too on the nose for Putin's regime to be behind it.

Putin doesn't need to be subtle.

If any of the investigators aren't paid-off, he'll probably kill them too. And even if someone did manage to directly implicate him, what would they be confirming? That he's a murderer? Isn't that what his entire political career is based on in the first place?

Tenrius

Russia has been threading on a very dark path for a long time now. It's utterly sad to see.

The country's been treading it ever since 1917 or maybe 1905.

Georgy Ivanov, a Russian poet forced to leave the country in 1922, wrote this eight years later in Paris:

Thank God there is no Tsar
Thank God there is no Russia
Thank God there is no God

Only a jaundiced twilight
Only hoary stars
Only illimitable years

Thank god there is no one
Thank god there is nothing
So dark, so dead
It could not be deader
Shall never be darker
No one able to help us
And no need to help.

(it doesn't sound this cheesy in its native Russian, but whatever)

His point still stands.

Why do you live in denial? Sure it could be CIA or SBU, but the question is what's more likely. The opposition cancelled the march on Sunday, now it's "sorrow walk". What does CIA or SBU get out of "sorrow walk"?! Where's the reason for your grand conspiracy? Why is Putin in charge of investigating not somebody neutral?

BobLoblaw

Banned
Why do you live in denial? Sure it could be CIA or SBU, but the question is what's more likely. The opposition cancelled the march on Sunday, now it's "sorrow walk". What does CIA or SBU get out of "sorrow walk"?! Where's the reason for your grand conspiracy? Why is Putin in charge of investigating not somebody neutral?
This. Watch how conveniently the next opposition person to Putin will be either killed, imprisoned, exiled, or otherwise "dealt with."

Drazgul

I sincerely hope that this has the opposite effect than what the killers intended and the opposition will be galvanized into action.

Durask

I'd think a murder in the streets is too on the nose for Putin's regime to be behind it.

Extremist supporters of him? Absolutely plausible.

That's my theory. Probably one of the more unhinged "patriots" decided to kill the Evil American Spy.

Do you know when you're a Russian oligarch and one of your prostitutes finds the severed body parts of a rival Russian business man in your London penthouse bathroom suite?

Durask

So, how many CIA false flag operations are there to make this "typical"?

OK, never mind, I know what's coming next....starts with number 9, right?

antonz

Also worth noting. Today was a new Holiday in Russia that Putin put into effect Special Forces Day to commemorate the seizure of Crimea and what better way then have a special forces hit on an opposition leader.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom