• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Putting the Ly into Polygon, Crecente: "Oh, that I saw"

hARhEFy.png

Good progress? I can't really think of anything that separates Polygon from any other games site other than their particular brand of 'personality'.

Still, if this debacle results in Gies getting muzzled and the site adopting better standards for pre-release reviews of online games then perhaps it was worthwhile.

Zaph

Well, look at that. There is progress.

Some long ass Twitter posts again from a discussion between Justin McElroy, Jim Sterling and Robert Florence. Sorry to the people that get annoyed by that.

[IMG ]http://i.imgur.com/ct8dNFl.png[/IMG]

[IMG ]http://i.imgur.com/xYatpil.png[/IMG]

[IMG ]http://i.imgur.com/BvYp7Gg.png[/IMG]

Robert Florence is spot on about the news coverage, the site has next to no identity right now. Also good to see that they get an opinion section. I will probably won't agree with them most of the time, but at least they get their opinion out there

And my favorite one:

[IMG ]http://i.imgur.com/3fYsqhL.png[/IMG]

Hopefully it is not all just talk and they actually change something.
Nailed it on the Twitter thing. These guys think that just because it's their 'personal twitter' (whatever that means...) it's distanced from the 'brand'.

Really funny comparing Polygon to their sister-site, The Verge. Both share very similar circumstances (veteran bloggers from multiple sites, huge VC money, large team, trying to be 'different' etc) but are miles apart in success.

I think a lot of this boils down to their EiC's. Some people dislike Topolsky but it's hard to deny he's a very strong leader who seems to have a very specific direction in-mind. Now compare that to Chris Grant, someone we barely hear from and seems to prefer being behind-the-scenes. That hands-off approach has left the editors running wild, putting them all on the back-foot before they've really created an identity.

Chris Grant really needs to get on top of this and demonstrate some leadership if Polygon wants to be anything more than the butt of jokes.

you see it a lot. if someone like jeff green criticizes polygon it's all humility and thank you for your concern, if it's a random tweeter or forum poster, just regular readers or potential readers basically, it's all retweet them so our followers can mock them with us, snark, haters gonna hate, or maybe a hasty block if things get too tough.

Pretty much this.

Some people dislike Topolsky but it's hard to deny he's a very strong leader who seems to have a very specific direction in-mind. Now compare that to Chris Grant, someone we barely hear from and seems to prefer being behind-the-scenes. That hands-off approach has left the editors running wild, putting them all on the back-foot before they've really created an identity.

I agree. I don't know Chris Grant, but Toplosky runs the Verge with an iron fist and I think the site is better for it.

Also a lot of the Verge's key staff work in a central office in New York whereas Polygon's staff is spread across the US. I think having a strong core organization that meets together daily is a huge advantage for the Verge.

jordn613

Unconfirmed Member
Huh? They were both friends long before they worked in the industry. That's how friendship works: you help each other out. Arthur didn't use anyone.

Now, Jade, on the other hand, (Chuff's Gamestop crush)...

And Arthur's really helped Anthony out by taking him to Polygon. Oh, wait he didn't. So Arthur can bitch about how hard he works while he has healthcare from Vox and Anthony is stuck at IGN.

Risible

Polygon's upper management really needs to take a long hard look at how these people represent themselves over Twitter and other outlets. Some of Gies' tweets would get him fired in any other job. Thanks to the ongoing shenanigans I will never click on a Polygon link again.

Compare and contrast with Kotaku - I tried them out in the past and didn't care for them. Thanks to Jason Schreier handling himself like a true gentleman here on GAF I've taken to checking out them out recently and have enjoyed some of their stuff. Likewise Walker's tweets and work have lead me to frequent RPS.

The moneyhats at Polygon better reign in the idiots or that site it going to sink like a stone.

antitrop

And Arthur's really helped Anthony out by taking him to Polygon. Oh, wait he didn't. So Arthur can bitch about how hard he works while he has healthcare from Vox and Anthony is stuck at IGN.
Well, this is assuming Anthony actually WANTS to leave IGN. (It may be safe to assume he does, but I don't know for sure).

I don't follow Rebel FM, has ChufMoney ever made it sound like he was slightly disappointed at "being left behind"?

iammeiam

Does Crecente believe that he is above the standard "Polygonal Head" Twitter avatar that everyone else uses?

Honestly, this is one thing he's done that I like. It is complete bullshit to try and claim your Twitter has nothing to do with your job and is 100% personal, while trotting around wih your official Team Polygon avatar on and commenting on shit from the position of authority being on Team Polygon apparently gives you. If you want your Twitter to be your own personal thing, don't use yourself in the company uniform as your representation. While I don't have a ton of respect for Crecente, I don't think he deserves guff for not making sure every Tweet of his is obviously from a Polygon employee.

antitrop

Honestly, this is one thing he's done that I like. It is complete bullshit to try and claim your Twitter has nothing to do with your job and is 100% personal, while trotting around wih your official Team Polygon avatar on and commenting on shit from the position of authority being on Team Polygon apparently gives you. If you want your Twitter to be your own personal thing, don't use yourself in the company uniform as your representation. While I don't have a ton of respect for Crecente, I don't think he deserves guff for not making sure every Tweet of his is obviously from a Polygon employee.

I absolutely understand your point of view, but to me it just makes him look like he thinks he's special. I come from a military background of regimented uniformity, though. I feel like if they're going to do it, they should all do it.

It is being ridiculously pedantic, and I don't even really care that much, just something I observed.

jmood88

I like Arthur but I don't know what's going on with him and this "unless you programmed the game you don't know what you're talking about" nonsense.

frostyxc

Just came in to say this is a fantastic post. 10/10. I hope you are getting paid to write for a living. :)

Wow, a compliment from THE Brian Austin Green? I am on cloud 7-through-9! Tell Megan Fox that I loved her in Transformers 3: Jennifer’s Body! I am gol-darned flattered. Seriously, guy. SERIOUSLY!

Let me tell you a little something about being paid...

I had $1,765.95 to my name a mere month ago. I was living large off of my great wealth: buying cereal at full price; eating non-government cheese; waving. Sometimes you have to come down from that high, however, and pay it forward—as they say in a new cinematic classic—to those who aren’t as well-off as you are.

The birds outside my window were trying to make a home out of a tree stump. A stump! They looked completely miserable, so I found my driving force. I would put my fortune (and title as a Thousandaire!) into making a birdhouse. I literally don’t know how to make a birdhouse, but I figured if you have enough one and two-dollar bills, the walls would hold up just fine. Two hours later, I was able to pry my super-glued fingers apart and put this cash money house together. It looked like a blind person constructed the avian domicile, but it kind-of looked like a birdhouse.

With pride, and an empty bank account, I presented my gift to the rather dim stump birds. I call them “stump birds” because they didn’t want anything to do with my bling birdhouse! I yelled at the birds in a chirping manner which I hoped they would understand as me being incredibly perturbed. I call them “dim” because I swear one of those fluttery jerks gave me the feathered form of THE FINGER!

After spraying their stupid tree trunk with catnip (and throwing my remaining 95 cents at a pompous squirrel), I did the only thing one can do with a scorned, money-made birdhouse—I burnt it down for the insurance money. Later realizing that the house, itself, WAS the insurance money… I cried a little inside. And on the outside. I may have shat myself.

Now I can’t even find my shoes. Do I have shoes anymore?

Seriously, guys and gals, thanks for the kind words and scores. I would have given myself a 1-out-of-1, as there is no other score. Zero doesn’t exist to some people. And Jeff Green: I know Brian Austin is just your less-famous cousin who can't podcast to save his life. The “radio station” that he “worked at” wasn’t even “real”! Pfft! Joshin' aside, thanks for the kindness. That goes for everyone--not just bigwigs at Game Industry, Inc.!

Sorry about the derail! Polygamy, clean up your act! Treat people with respect... and for whom the bell tolls... I have a dream... NOS 2-for-$4... something-something?

If anyone needs their obituary written… boy, do I have the time.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Random defending:

1. Non-games writer Gies set up a games podcast with himself and established-games writer friend Gallegos (+ others initially) in order to gain exposure for himself in order to get in to the games writing industry. I'm pretty sure Arthur discussed this on at some point on Rebel FM (it's hard to remember exactly after 170 episodes), but anyone listening from the beginning would know this was obviously the plan. I'm not sure why anyone would consider this underhanded in any way, seems like some pretty brilliant career networking and advertising that all went according to keikaku.

2. I mean he's not helping with some of this twitter stuff but I think most people dislike Aegies because he comes off as kind of a bully. There's suggestions of "talking down" to other podcast members, or accusations of "taking advantage" of Anthony. Remember these people are all friends, but more importantly, they're grown ass men, dog. They can take care of themselves. When you accuse Aegies of "taking advantage" you accuse Chuff of being a punk ass bitch, which just isn't true. Dude fights off muggers daily and get mad trim. Honestly, it can get a little awkward when Ryan O'Donnell and Arthur go at it because they're both pretty insistent, but those are my favorite conversations.

3. I was an OG donator and would donate again to have Tyler come back and tell more Day Z stories.

JeffGreen

97.5: The Brodeo
Wow, a compliment from THE Brian Austin Green? I am on cloud 7-through-9! Tell Megan Fox that I loved her in Transformers 3: Jennifer’s Body! I am gol-darned flattered. Seriously, guy. SERIOUSLY!

I had $1,765.95 to my name a mere month ago. I was living large off of my great wealth: buying cereal at full price; eating non-government cheese; waving. Sometimes you have to come down from that high, however, and pay it forward—as they say in a new cinematic classic—to those who aren’t as well-off as you are.

The birds outside my window were trying to make a home out of a tree stump. A stump! They looked completely miserable, so I found my driving force. I would put my fortune (and title as a Thousandaire!) into making a birdhouse. I literally don’t know how to make a birdhouse, but I figured if you have enough one and two-dollar bills, the walls would hold up just fine. Two hours later, I was able to pry my super-glued fingers apart and put this cash money house together. It looked like a blind person constructed the avian domicile, but it kind-of looked like a birdhouse.

With pride, and an empty bank account, I presented my gift to the rather dim stump birds. I call them “stump birds” because they didn’t want anything to do with my bling birdhouse! I yelled at the birds in a chirping manner which I hoped they would understand as me being incredibly perturbed. I call them “dim” because I swear one of those fluttery jerks gave me the feathered form of THE FINGER!

After spraying their stupid tree trunk with catnip (and throwing my remaining 95 cents at a pompous squirrel), I did the only thing one can do with a scorned, money-made birdhouse—I burnt it down for the insurance money. Later realizing that the house, itself, WAS the insurance money… I cried a little inside. And on the outside. I may have shat myself.

Seriously, guys and gals, thanks for the kind words and scores. I would have given myself a 1-out-of-1, as there is no other score. Zero doesn’t exist to some people. And Jeff Green: I know Brian Austin is just your less-famous cousin who can't podcast to save his life. The “radio station” that he “worked at” wasn’t even “real”! Pfft! Joshin' aside, thanks for the kindness. That goes for everyone--not just bigwigs at Game Industry, Inc.!

Sorry about the derail! Polygamy, clean up your act! Treat people with respect... and for whom the bell tolls... I have a dream... NOS 2-for-$4... something-something?

Please either marry me or start a new website with me. Or both.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Hahaha, bravo.

Sneds

Does Gies have any control over who gets hired at Polygon?

When a friend of mine gets a job, I don't assume that I'm going to get hired too!

thefil

It's like anyone that likes Polygon is on trial here. I just wanted to discuss if reviews should be held on multiplayer games. I don't think I really ever said Polygon was 100% right or Gaf/other media were 100% right.

Just odd to see so many people seemingly upset with things I said when they weren't that outlandish. I like Polygon, they have good features. I'm sorry if I let that blind me to their other doings for a bit.

Sorry if you are/were offended by something I said. I apologize Gaf, I'll watch my words more in the future. Can I join back into the actual discussion now?

I just wanted to say that you are not crazy, your posts were well thought out and constructed, and seemed intended to provoke discussion. The fanaticism with which you are being targeted for not taking the "party line" on EA/Maxis/Polygon is really disturbing, especially when forums are meant to promote discussion and not be a circle jerk.

Keep doing what you're doing.

antitrop

Does Gies have any control over who gets hired at Polygon?

When a friend of mine gets a job, I don't assume that I'm going to get hired too!

That's sort of disingenuous to the way Polygon was designed. It's literally a group of friends and insiders that started a new games site, together. The "Games Journalist Supergroup" tag isn't even a joke, that was entirely the goal.

That's sort of disingenuous to the way Polygon was designed. It's literally a group of friends and insiders that started a new games site, together. The "Games Journalist Supergroup" tag isn't even a joke, that was entirely the goal.
Let's defend a hyper incestuous industry! New perspective? Haha, foolish!

Sneds

Ah, I see. Even so, without knowing the full details it seems like a stretch to criticise Gies for Anthony not being hired at Polygon. There are legitimate criticisms to make of Gies but I'm not sure this is one of them.

Plus, I'm not sure we should be encouraging nepotism.

Veezy

que?

Seriously, this top quality ridiculous shit here. Well done

I can imagine somebody saying these things out loud to nobody but their webcam for the eventual upload to youtube, each paragraph break symbolizing the in-between sips from a mason jar of moonshine made in a radiator just down the road from their shack.

antitrop

Ah, I see. Even so, without knowing the full details it seems like a stretch to criticise Gies for Anthony not being hired at Polygon. There are legitimate criticisms to make of Gies but I'm not sure this is one of them.
I agree completely, I expressed my reservations to the statements above.

There is some grounds for the claim, though, seeing the history between Gies and Anthony and the role of Polygon as a "games press supergroup".

Hehehe, frosty's humor reminds me a lot of John Swartzwelder-ian humor found in his Simpsons episodes and books. Love it.

One thing i really like about, say, political journalism is that all the big players have editorial/opinion sections. Not saying that most of them are great, but it's always felt that the majority videogame sites/publications seem either homogenous (with no identity or ability to distinguish themselves from one another with positions) or in cahoots with one another (they circle the wagons when criticized).

I don't know which one is worse, but I wish more of these major sites had people who would take certain positions or at least debate against points made by others in the industry and that this was done in their websites/publications.

Right now it seems that all "discourse" goes through Twitter, which is depressing.

Sneds

One thing i really like about, say, political journalism is that all the big players have editorial/opinion sections. Not saying that most of them are great, but it's always felt that the majority videogame sites/publications seem either homogenous (with no identity or ability to distinguish themselves from one another with positions) or in cahoots with one another (they circle the wagons when criticized).

I don't know which one is worse, but I wish more of these major sites had people who would take certain positions or at least debate against points made by others in the industry.

Right now it seems that all "discourse" goes through Twitter, which is depressing.

I think Jim Sterling provides this. I really enjoy his show 'The Jimquisition', which he often uses as a platform to comment on, and criticise, the video games industry.

AkuMifune

Banned
Taking a step back, it's shocking how Polygon has done such an amazing job of raising the integrity and quality of all other gaming websites...simply by setting the bar so low.

Good progress? I can't really think of anything that separates Polygon from any other games site other than their particular brand of 'personality'.

I can't say they're my favourite site or anything, but I would say that some of their feature articles have been good reads, something a site like IGN never provides. The skylanders creators article, and the one about the halo game testing process were really enjoyable reads, they really stand out in my mind. Also, the site looks okay on my girlfriends tablet, if I'm browsing before sleep.

The whole thing though that they effectively behave like video game journalist celebrities is ridiculous though. They spend the entire time tying to sell the site on themselves and the dumb things they say on twitter, and not on the site content. Dumb. If Gies linked those articles I mentioned as often as he writes dumb things, maybe people would have a better opinion of them.

Random defending:

1. Non-games writer Gies set up a games podcast with himself and established-games writer friend Gallegos (+ others initially) in order to gain exposure for himself in order to get in to the games writing industry. I'm pretty sure Arthur discussed this on at some point on Rebel FM (it's hard to remember exactly after 170 episodes), but anyone listening from the beginning would know this was obviously the plan. I'm not sure why anyone would consider this underhanded in any way, seems like some pretty brilliant career networking and advertising that all went according to keikaku.

2. I mean he's not helping with some of this twitter stuff but I think most people dislike Aegies because he comes off as kind of a bully. There's suggestions of "talking down" to other podcast members, or accusations of "taking advantage" of Anthony. Remember these people are all friends, but more importantly, they're grown ass men, dog. They can take care of themselves. When you accuse Aegies of "taking advantage" you accuse Chuff of being a punk ass bitch, which just isn't true. Dude fights off muggers daily and get mad trim. Honestly, it can get a little awkward when Ryan O'Donnell and Arthur go at it because they're both pretty insistent, but those are my favorite conversations.

3. I was an OG donator and would donate again to have Tyler come back and tell more Day Z stories.

That's the reason I stopped listening to Rebel Fm. I don't hate arthur, but sometimes he says things that people should call him out on but no one does. I understand that they're friends but it becomes a boring podcast when everyone always agrees no matter what. The bombcast has the same problem, but it get's away with it because the Giant Bomb guys are hilarious.

Revven

Holy crap, second awesome post. Why isn't this man made a Member yet? Skip all the requirements, he's passed them with just 2 posts alone!

dLMN8R

Jesus, this one really says it all, doesn't it?

80ZDrEm.jpg

Even with 3 sources they'd still rather choose to believe the shit coming out of the mouths of publishers and developers.

unbias

Jesus, this one really says it all, doesn't it?

80ZDrEm.jpg

Even with 3 sources they'd still rather choose to believe the shit coming out of the mouths of publishers and developers.

Are you serious? The hell would you admit that for? Does he not think before he... You know what, he needs a twitter time-out(perma kind).

dLMN8R

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I saw that Crecente image thanks to choodi's post on page 11:

This was an interesting Twitter exchange I remember...

80ZDrEm.jpg

It was in relation to this article that Crecente posted on polygon about the Zynga Head Game Designer leaving the company.

While it is not as damning as stealing a story and lying to cover it up, to me it gives a great insight into his "skills" as a journalist.

He has a lead on a great story about the Zynga Head Game Designer leaving a company that has been in serious financial and creative difficulty, and despite the fact that he has "three sources" he doesn't run the story because the company denied that it was true.

He then gets on Twitter to boast that he could have posted the story two days prior, probably expecting some sort of adulation and hero worship from us non-game-journalists.

Really? This is what is classed as a "leading" gaming press website?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

(...)

This is one of the best posts I've ever read.

Top Bottom