• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Putting the Ly into Polygon, Crecente: "Oh, that I saw"

Remember that Kris dude who worked for the controller company? He was a bigtime asshole too perhaps more so than Gies. Whatever happened to him?

He had his 5 minutes of internet fame and then retired to the realm of loserdom along with his mates Star Wars Kid and that fat dude singing the Israeli song. That Gangnam guy will probably be joining them all soon too.

EDIT: can someone please enlighten me of what this RPS website is that people are mentioning? I'd like to check it out.

Polygon managed to make me stop reading Polygon before I ever started. I hope they fold. Chris Grant is equally responsible for just sitting around and allowing dickheads like Gies and clowns like Crecente to publicly embarrass the site.

Jesus, this one really says it all, doesn't it?

80ZDrEm.jpg

Even with 3 sources they'd still rather choose to believe the shit coming out of the mouths of publishers and developers.

Gamer Steve 007 needs - nay deserves - a better Twitter avatar if he's gonna drop truth bombs like that.

Wow, a compliment from THE Brian Austin Green? I am on cloud 7-through-9! Tell Megan Fox that I loved her in Transformers 3: Jennifer’s Body! I am gol-darned flattered. Seriously, guy. SERIOUSLY!

Let me tell you a little something about being paid...

I had $1,765.95 to my name a mere month ago. I was living large off of my great wealth: buying cereal at full price; eating non-government cheese; waving. Sometimes you have to come down from that high, however, and pay it forward—as they say in a new cinematic classic—to those who aren’t as well-off as you are.

The birds outside my window were trying to make a home out of a tree stump. A stump! They looked completely miserable, so I found my driving force. I would put my fortune (and title as a Thousandaire!) into making a birdhouse. I literally don’t know how to make a birdhouse, but I figured if you have enough one and two-dollar bills, the walls would hold up just fine. Two hours later, I was able to pry my super-glued fingers apart and put this cash money house together. It looked like a blind person constructed the avian domicile, but it kind-of looked like a birdhouse.

With pride, and an empty bank account, I presented my gift to the rather dim stump birds. I call them “stump birds” because they didn’t want anything to do with my bling birdhouse! I yelled at the birds in a chirping manner which I hoped they would understand as me being incredibly perturbed. I call them “dim” because I swear one of those fluttery jerks gave me the feathered form of THE FINGER!

After spraying their stupid tree trunk with catnip (and throwing my remaining 95 cents at a pompous squirrel), I did the only thing one can do with a scorned, money-made birdhouse—I burnt it down for the insurance money. Later realizing that the house, itself, WAS the insurance money… I cried a little inside. And on the outside. I may have shat myself.

Now I can’t even find my shoes. Do I have shoes anymore?

Seriously, guys and gals, thanks for the kind words and scores. I would have given myself a 1-out-of-1, as there is no other score. Zero doesn’t exist to some people. And Jeff Green: I know Brian Austin is just your less-famous cousin who can't podcast to save his life. The “radio station” that he “worked at” wasn’t even “real”! Pfft! Joshin' aside, thanks for the kindness. That goes for everyone--not just bigwigs at Game Industry, Inc.!

Sorry about the derail! Polygamy, clean up your act! Treat people with respect... and for whom the bell tolls... I have a dream... NOS 2-for-$4... something-something?

If anyone needs their obituary written… boy, do I have the time.

The James Joyce of NeoGAF, everyone. Bravo, sir. Bravo.

**We doubly saw this coming when they started running features about the palaces in which they doth game, as if anybody cared what chair you sat in whilst playing 50 Cent: Blood in the Sand, but that’s already been beautifully skewered by Alec Meer.

The Sim City/Polygon debacle has introduced me and my others to some well written pieces by writers I've never heard of before. That's a positive out of it all.

AkuMifune

Banned
Another interaction...this was about the early problem with Black Ops 2 on WiiU.

I've gotten into a twitter fight with Crecente before, over the Saints Row 3 embarrassing thing. Him and Gies sometimes....you ask a simple question and get strange, defiant belligerence from them.

It's impossible to have a conversation with Crecente, it's like everything has to be a fight. LOUD NOISES!

Li Kao

Unnh, just followed this thread from the sidelines, but these last Crecente tweets have me seriously scratching my head.

So ok, let's say Twitter is not only for a professional presence, that a journalist is not required to know all and everything about all games... (Blops 2) what the fuck is this with the Zynga story ? Because, and I hope to god it is just the out of context reading, when I read stuff like 'I would have run the story before, but the company told me it wasn't true', I... let's cut the hyperbole and just say I feel a great sadness for the gaming press.

dLMN8R

Unnh, just followed this thread from the sidelines, but these last Crecente tweets have me seriously scratching my head.

So ok, let's say Twitter is not only for a professional presence, that a journalist is not required to know all and everything about all games... (Blops 2) what the fuck is this with the Zynga story ? Because, and I hope to god it is just the out of context reading, when I read stuff like 'I would have run the story before, but the company told me it wasn't true', I... let's cut the hyperbole and just say I feel a great sadness for the gaming press.

I think it was about Brian Reynolds and others leaving Zynga:

http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/29/3925628/zynga-chief-game-designer

Li Kao

I think it was about Brian Reynolds and others leaving Zynga:

http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/29/3925628/zynga-chief-game-designer

First thank you for the link !
But there is surely a lot I'm missing. I mean, it must. Because when I read that the man had three sources for his piece, and didn't run it because the company said it wasn't true, my first reaction it to ask myself how many source were needed. 52 ? 53 ?
And then I think there is a serious need of a journalistic Razzie these days.

But as I said, just gut reaction, there is room for a lot of explanation between out of contextness and my lack of knowledge of the gaming press. The first feeling is not positive though. These are at least some very dumb tweets.

Sblargh

Banned
Journalism is not all about sources. You have to feel your way through a story sometimes; it just happens that his gut feelings is to not run stories because a corporation gave the order.

choodi

Banned
Journalism is not all about sources. You have to feel your way through a story sometimes; it just happens that his gut feelings is to not run stories because a corporation gave the order.

Nice. Maybe another way of putting this is that his gut feeling was that he shouldn't bite the hand that feeds.

Really, the core of the problem here is the video game media's close proximity and financial reliance on advertising dollars from the industry it is supposed to be critically analysing.

nomis

Pisses me off that Anthony Gallegos was used by Arthur as a step-ladder to get to where he is. Arthur also treats Anthony like a child on RebelFM.

Could you please elaborate on both points? I'm obviously inclined to like Anthony from his tenure on the brodeo, and my first encounter with Gies as a personality was when they were both on CO-OP. I honestly didnt even know Rebel FM still existed. None of what you just said leaves me with any doubt, I'm just wondering if you could explain your take on their relationship.

nbthedude

Could you please elaborate on both points? I'm obviously inclined to like Anthony from his tenure on the brodeo, and my first encounter with Gies as a personality was when they were both on CO-OP. I honestly didnt even know Rebel FM still existed. None of what you just said leaves me with any doubt, I'm just wondering if you could explain your take on their relationship.

If I recall, Gies was Anthony's roommate and right after the first 1up purge Phil and Nick started Rebel Fm and accepted donations (I donated). The after Nick and Phil left Rebel FM, Arthur started showing up on the podcast. Why, I have no idea because nobody who donated money did so to listen to Arthur. Then shortly after appearing on Rebel FM he started getting freelance work at 1up. Then later a job at IGN then Polygon.

The thing that rubs me the wrong way about it, aside from how dismissive and myopic he is, is that he simply has no business being a reviews editor. He did not have the years of experience nor the talent nor even a journalism degree or a background in writing. He has a degree in "technocultural studies," whatever the fuck that is. He became an editor at IGN after five months (probably thanks to Anthony). Then he was a previews editor at Joystiq for a whopping 4 months before moving to Polygon. It was sheer nepotism that landed him those gigs. There are freelance writers that have buckloads of talent and can never land a full time gig.

For the record, I am usually not one to care at all about the videogame website drama. I always thought most of the criticisms of Kotaku or even IGN were pretty silly. But Polygon sure dies have a boat load of pretentious primadonnas that drown out the handful of really cool people who work there.

JDSN

Banned
I wonder if Walker is gonna comment on this again, I think the twitter stuff is over, but he might post something in his blog eventually.

If I recall, Gies was Anthony's roommate and right after the first 1up purge Phil and Nick started Rebel Fm and accepted donations (I donated). The after Nick and Phil left Rebel FM, Arthur started showing up on the podcast. Why, I have no idea because nobody who donated money did so to listen to Arthur. Then shortly after appearing on Rebel FM he started getting freelance work at 1up. Then later a job at IGN then Polygon.

The thing that rubs me the wrong way about it, aside from how dismissive and myopic he is, is that he simply has no business being a reviews editor. He did not have the years of experience nor the talent nor even a journalism degree or a background in writing. He has a degree in "technocultural studies," whatever the fuck that is. He became an editor at IGN after five months (probably thanks to Anthony). Then he was a previews editor at Joystiq for a whopping 4 months before moving to Polygon. It was sheer nepotism that landed him those gigs. There are freelance writers that have buckloads of talent and can never land a full time gig.

As always, it's not what you know but who you know.

zam

Wow, a compliment from THE Brian Austin Green? I am on cloud 7-through-9! Tell Megan Fox that I loved her in Transformers 3: Jennifer’s Body! I am gol-darned flattered. Seriously, guy. SERIOUSLY!

I had $1,765.95 to my name a mere month ago. I was living large off of my great wealth: buying cereal at full price; eating non-government cheese; waving. Sometimes you have to come down from that high, however, and pay it forward—as they say in a new cinematic classic—to those who aren’t as well-off as you are.

The birds outside my window were trying to make a home out of a tree stump. A stump! They looked completely miserable, so I found my driving force. I would put my fortune (and title as a Thousandaire!) into making a birdhouse. I literally don’t know how to make a birdhouse, but I figured if you have enough one and two-dollar bills, the walls would hold up just fine. Two hours later, I was able to pry my super-glued fingers apart and put this cash money house together. It looked like a blind person constructed the avian domicile, but it kind-of looked like a birdhouse.

With pride, and an empty bank account, I presented my gift to the rather dim stump birds. I call them “stump birds” because they didn’t want anything to do with my bling birdhouse! I yelled at the birds in a chirping manner which I hoped they would understand as me being incredibly perturbed. I call them “dim” because I swear one of those fluttery jerks gave me the feathered form of THE FINGER!

After spraying their stupid tree trunk with catnip (and throwing my remaining 95 cents at a pompous squirrel), I did the only thing one can do with a scorned, money-made birdhouse—I burnt it down for the insurance money. Later realizing that the house, itself, WAS the insurance money… I cried a little inside. And on the outside. I may have shat myself.

Seriously, guys and gals, thanks for the kind words and scores. I would have given myself a 1-out-of-1, as there is no other score. Zero doesn’t exist to some people. And Jeff Green: I know Brian Austin is just your less-famous cousin who can't podcast to save his life. The “radio station” that he “worked at” wasn’t even “real”! Pfft! Joshin' aside, thanks for the kindness. That goes for everyone--not just bigwigs at Game Industry, Inc.!

Sorry about the derail! Polygamy, clean up your act! Treat people with respect... and for whom the bell tolls... I have a dream... NOS 2-for-$4... something-something?

Best junior ever.

By the way if you don't have any chaussures you should head down to PayLess ShoeSource and buy some. Or see if Jeff Green can loan you some flip-flops or something.

Huh? They were both friends long before they worked in the industry. That's how friendship works: you help each other out. Arthur didn't use anyone.

Now, Jade, on the other hand, (Chuff's Gamestop crush)...

Oh shit, I remember Chuff Love, but it had completely slipped my mind that that she had managed to get a job at 1up after that.

This is making me miss The Brodeo :(

Oh my god oh my god oh my god

I'm seriously crying right now

web01

Geeez I always knew Crecente was a hack but those twitter conversations are extremely damning. The guy just does not give a fuck. no journalistic credibility or pride in his work on any level.

And the sad thing is this is representative of the vast majority of those working in "gaming journalism."
These clowns are PR voice boxes for the big publishers and have absolutely no shame about it.

If GAF wanted to ever do one good thing it would be to ban all these
PR websites and their shill reviews / PR talk once and for all but no one has the balls to take a stand.

Random defending:

1. Non-games writer Gies set up a games podcast with himself and established-games writer friend Gallegos (+ others initially) in order to gain exposure for himself in order to get in to the games writing industry. I'm pretty sure Arthur discussed this on at some point on Rebel FM (it's hard to remember exactly after 170 episodes), but anyone listening from the beginning would know this was obviously the plan. I'm not sure why anyone would consider this underhanded in any way, seems like some pretty brilliant career networking and advertising that all went according to keikaku.

2. I mean he's not helping with some of this twitter stuff but I think most people dislike Aegies because he comes off as kind of a bully. There's suggestions of "talking down" to other podcast members, or accusations of "taking advantage" of Anthony. Remember these people are all friends, but more importantly, they're grown ass men, dog. They can take care of themselves. When you accuse Aegies of "taking advantage" you accuse Chuff of being a punk ass bitch, which just isn't true. Dude fights off muggers daily and get mad trim. Honestly, it can get a little awkward when Ryan O'Donnell and Arthur go at it because they're both pretty insistent, but those are my favorite conversations.

3. I was an OG donator and would donate again to have Tyler come back and tell more Day Z stories.

couldn't remember the name of the podcast... but yes, the loser started his career there. He was nobody and piggied back onto the post 1up donations to start his career. a true cretin.

frostyxc

Please either marry me or start a new website with me. Or both.

Put a ring on it! I ain't no gutter butter!

Hmm... what?

If you do both, you need an appropriately groan-worthy pun for the website name.

Like LifeCo-Op or OnlineMultiplayer.

Ahem... If I may?

Byte My Bits?
Anti-Aliased (ON MY BALLS!)?
CTRL+ALT+DEFEAT?
Premium Passion?
Strings of Parameter?
Waggle My Swaggle?
EnnWii?
Misrepresented Misogyny Mancast?
Being A Dad Wasn't Invented In The Last Four Months, Will Smith: You Need Confidence, Not Classes? (I love you guys, but c'mon!)
Sex, Gies, and Videogames? (Zing! Yeah, a cheap shot. Sorry!)
The Taco Shack w/ Studsly McAwesome and the Tropes?
Checkpoint-Countercheckpoint?
Skyboxing?
Trilogy of Four: Outta Original Ideas (T-FOOI for short.)

Wow, that didn't go well... at all.

chogidogs

Oh god, you guys just reminded me of the first episode of Rebel FM where Arthur refused to give up his mic despite anybody not knowing or caring who he was or why he was there. People actually involved with 1up FM had to shuffle around just for a chance to talk.

Even then you got the impression that this was a guy who wanted a way in.

Mael

ok I came for the reactions and I stayed for you frostyxc.
Seriously best junior ever!
You should post more!

Goon Boon

Banned
Oh god, you guys just reminded me of the first episode of Rebel FM where Arthur refused to give up his mic despite anybody not knowing or caring who he was or why he was there. People actually involved with 1up FM had to shuffle around just for a chance to talk.

Even then you got the impression that this was a guy who wanted a way in.

Honestly the more I hear about him the more I get the feeling that he doesn't give a shit about games at all, he's just trying to safeguard his meal ticket from the shimmers of truth people are catching sight of the more they dig up.

Veezy

que?
Put a ring on it! I ain't no gutter butter!

Hmm... what?

Ahem... If I may?

Byte My Bits?
Anti-Aliased (ON MY BALLS!)?
CTRL+ALT+DEFEAT?
Premium Passion?
Strings of Parameter?
Waggle My Swaggle?
EnnWii?
Misrepresented Misogyny Mancast?
Being A Dad Wasn't Invented In The Last Four Months, Will Smith: You Need Confidence, Not Classes? (I love you guys, but c'mon!)
Sex, Gies, and Videogames? (Zing! Yeah, a cheap shot. Sorry!)
The Taco Shack w/ Studsly McAwesome and the Tropes?
Checkpoint-Countercheckpoint?
Skyboxing?
Trilogy of Four: Outta Original Ideas (T-FOOI for short.)

Wow, that didn't go well... at all.

I like the highlighted.

Goon Boon

Banned

Baha

http://www.polygon.com/2013/3/25/4135226/9-year-old-girls-kickstarter-campign-to-create-an-rpg

Polygon seemingly regurgitates a press release for a scam. How is it a scam?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=528903

http://i.imgur.com/tUFeUv6l.jpg

TLDR : She's a millionaire who made her fortune by domain squatting kinkos.com, and is breaking kickstarter rules such as no spamming on twitter and not covering the cost of tuitions, as well as seemingly exploiting her children to push this kickstarter.

They either took it down or the link is bad, getting a 404 when I click on that link.

Veezy

que?
They either took it down or the link is bad, getting a 404 when I click on that link.

They took it down. This is the search from google:

9-year old girl's Kickstarter campign to create an RPG | Polygon
www.polygon.com/.../9-year-old-girls-kickstarter-campign-to-create-...
1 hour ago – With the help of her mother, nine-year old girl called Mackenzie Wilson has started a Kickstarter campaign with a goal to fund the development ...

Unfortunately, no cache as it was deleted.

EDIT: Wow, what a God Damned joke that site has become.

jay

The key to journalism is never do any work to check out the info you are posting. Then, if for some reason you need to correct the info because some jerk gave you a bad story, never update the original and explain what happened. Remove it entirely and pretend it didn't happen.

Goon Boon

Banned
They took it down. This is the search from google:

9-year old girl's Kickstarter campign to create an RPG | Polygon
www.polygon.com/.../9-year-old-girls-kickstarter-campign-to-create-...
1 hour ago – With the help of her mother, nine-year old girl called Mackenzie Wilson has started a Kickstarter campaign with a goal to fund the development ...

Unfortunately, no cache as it was deleted.

EDIT: Wow, what a God Damned joke that site has become.

Was it even up for a whole hour? For a site full of editors you would think just one of them knew a damn about anything.

The great thing about Polygon is how they put every single egotistical, unlikable "journalist" from the industry on one site so I can avoid all of them easily.

Veezy

que?
I understand the "no publicity is bad publicity" mentality, but when you're a personality driven site and you give off the personality of uninformed, self contained, individuals, doesn't that, well, make for a poor business plan?

Update: This story was originally written last week and, following some investigation by its author, was being held until details regarding the Kickstarter creator's authenticity could be verified — which some commenters in this post have highlighted. It was not intended to be published, and was left as a draft in our system; a draft which was accidentally published this afternoon following tests on our video surfacing by a member of our support team. We apologize to you, the reader, and to the original author, for publishing a half-finished report.

a8MG5M7.gif

Top Bottom