• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puzzle Fighter announced - Mobile.

MrCarter

Honestly the mobile aspect is what has me most excited, and I rarely download any games on my phone. With the right multiplayer options this could actually be an awesome time killer. Sit down for my lunch break, see who's available (with anyone being able to get it for free), get a couple games in and put it away. I'm all for it, let's get a release date soon.

It's playable at PAX west from the September 1st - 4th I believe so hopefully we'll get some footage there.

Jeez the initial impression of this art is just....ugh.

Will probably give it a shot, but man really wish the model's visuals were better.

In original game each character had their own garbage drop patterns. Some were pretty bad (or could become bad if you played poorly, low combos with Ken would be all red...at which point play as Dan). I can see in this sort of set up the starting character or the more affordable or common ones having poor drop patterns.

There are life bars now? Yet I still see garbage. It almost suggests that the more defensive use opponents garbage to set out as massive attack is going to get axed.

WHY ARE THEY ALL YELLING !!?
PAYMEMONEYPLAYMYAPP

Dat artstyle

vMTbCU1.png
90s GC was bad but at least it isn't that sprite from 1994.
I suppose that joke ended whenever she got a 3d model

emag

In-game screenshot (via Eventhubs):

Apart from the animated character models, the remaining art isn't bad. Hope there's a color-blind option with icons for the different colored gems.

Ferrio

Banned
I'd say Puzzle Fighter's popularity comes mostly from the art and charm of the game, and less from actual puzzle mechanics. It seems they've missed the mark by a long shot of capturing that same charm when you compare it to the original.

DrArchon

So who do we know about so far?

• Ryu
  • Ken
  • Chun-Li
  • M. Bison
  • Dan
  • Nash
  • E. Honda
  • Blanka
  • Haggar
  • Morrigan
  • Mega Man X
  • Jill Valentine
  • Dante
  • Frank West
  • Chuck Greene
  • Phoenix Wright

Am I missing anyone?

Holy shit.

"Hey instead of putting in a Monster Hunter character, in order to represent pretty much the one series that's keeping our company alive, let's put in E.Honda."

Fucking geniuses over there at Capcom I tell you.

M3d10n

Nevermind the characters, the actual puzzle part looks bland as fuck as well, like someone did a quick clone of the Puzzle Fighter gameplay.

SaikyoBro

Holy shit.

"Hey instead of putting in a Monster Hunter character, in order to represent pretty much the one series that's keeping our company alive, let's put in E.Honda."

Come on man. The game was just revealed this morning and there's no indication that we're looking at a final roster. Honda specifically runs the in-game store so it makes sense he'd be in (and he's missed every other crossover in the past decade so I'm personally happy to see him).

This isn't directed at you specifically but I wish people would be more considerate when they make super general, half-truth criticisms like this. Anyone following MvCI will probably remember that 4chan thread about Gamora's animations being almost 100% recycled - a blatant lie that was disproven really quickly, but not before being spread everywhere and getting a few thousand retweets across several different accounts. There are almost definitely still people who believe that, hold it against the game and have been telling their friends about it. Slinging shit around like that around enough ends up having a negative impact when enough people are doing it, and maybe in some cases that's what people want, but it's really dishonest. Criticism is fine and dandy but only when it's genuine, if you don't have anything to add or can't phrase it in an honest and constructive way then it doesn't serve much purpose.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Holy shit.

they just announced the game and you already expected them to reveal everything? 😂

Give it a time. I'm pretty sure some popular characters are more likely to get held back for future updates just like how mobile game is like. Look at FEH.

Mr_Zombie

Looks ok to me. The art is bad but it's serviceable for a mobile game.

Why do people treat mobile games as something "well, it looks like garbage, but for mobile... it will do it"? It's still a game, and there are a lot of mobile games with great art design. And you don't need some great budget to make a pretty game; Mega Man Legend characters have more charm and look better (even with low-poly models and low-res textures) than those generic booble heads. :/

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I don't understand the complaints. You don't ever take your eyes off the gems. Especially on a tiny phone screen. My only problem is that this on mobiles instead of the PC.

Mr_Zombie

I don't understand the complaints. You don't ever take your eyes off the gems. Especially on a tiny phone screen. My only problem is that this on mobiles instead of the PC.

The complain is that Puzzle Fighter (as well as Super Gem Fighter Mini Mix) had amazing sprite work, with a lot of charm and attention to details. And now that part of the game was replaced with this.

Jawmuncher

The silver lining of this being Vancouver means it should have dino crisis, power stone, breath of fire, and some other ignored franchises going by the DR3 DLC

sibarraz

Banned
Im actually excited for the game, but wow, whats capcom endgame that they try to destroy their iconic characters with terrible models?

Top Bottom