• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pyre |OT| We Carry The Fire

samred

This is going to mess with me a whole lot!

c4sRHo0.png

You don't use "recent" for Steam sorting? What bizarre lab experiment did you come from?

(I was gifted a 3D Realms complete collection years ago, and it HOSED my Steam list. Dozens of shit games I'll never install. Switched to "recent" and never looked back. I need to get most of that crapware permanently removed...)

Trey

So I upped the difficulty to hard (or whatever they call hard) and went against the
dogs
in the fourth rite and got my ass fucking handed to me. I didn't even score a single point : (
If the next match is as hard, I may have to bump it back down to normal.
Damn, shit got fucking real that match.
I probably shouldn't have been using that new character which played way differently from everyone else, but I didn't think it was going to be that difficult, and went in overconfident.

The
Harpies
handed me my whole ass. It was exhilarating, lol

When your adversaries start getting talismans and skills of their own, that's when the game really starts.

Hopeford

This is the most beautiful game I've seen in ages. I also really like the little quality of life things they have. Just started the game, but already wondering if I should up the difficulty. Only reason I haven't yet is in case more mechanics kick in and the game starts kicking my ass.

Strider

Game is a lot more fun when you put it to the highest difficulty... But who knows maybe at some point the difficulty will get to be too much to handle as I'm only about an hour and 45 minutes in.

The soundtrack is surpassing my high expectations too... All the themes that start playing when you meet a new faction have been ace.

Definitely pleased with it so far... It's a pretty unique experience.

You don't use "recent" for Steam sorting? What bizarre lab experiment did you come from?

(I was gifted a 3D Realms complete collection years ago, and it HOSED my Steam list. Dozens of shit games I'll never install. Switched to "recent" and never looked back. I need to get most of that crapware permanently removed...)

I love me some alphabetical sorting. It's how I have all my physical stuff organized too.

Xe4

Banned
Since I know almost nothing about the game, controller or keyboard/mouse?

It seems like KB & M, if the option's available to you. I've only used a controller, but it feels like it would work really well with keyboard and mouse.

tm24

You can add steam games to a hidden list and have them not be in the sort

BSpot

I'm put off by the interactive/visual novel aspect... but I want to be down with this game.

So tell me... in one cycle of a gameplay loop,

1) how much reading/dialogue is there.
2) how much over world navigation is there.
3) how much Rites gameplay is there.

Like, for example: 5 minutes of reading, 5 minutes of world map "movement", 10 Minutes of Rites gameplay.

I am just trying to get an idea of the ratio of "gameplay" to "advancing dialogue".

Thanks!!

Stoze

I'm put off by the interactive/visual novel aspect... but I want to be down with this game.

Like, for example: 5 minutes of reading, 5 minutes of world map "movement", 10 Minutes of Rites gameplay.

I am just trying to get an idea of the ratio of "gameplay" to "advancing dialogue".

Thanks!!
In terms of time spent, it's probably like 15% rites combat to 85% everything else. It's an RPG with a large focus on characters, story, setting, etc.. edit: Having played more I think this is an underestimate. I'd say 25%, and a bit higher if you include prep time & choosing characters to roll with.

I mean I guess you have the option to blast through the dialogue and ignore all the flavor stuff, but I can't really imagine doing that.

Burt

Thanks!!
The over world is mostly just choices between where to go for dialogue/combat. It's minimal, and while I can't put my finger on the exact game it reminds me of, it's definitely in the neighborhood of that roguelike "Here are your options for today choose one lose two" or "Go left for this event or go right for that event". Between the dialogue and rites, I'd say it's about 2:1 reading:rites if you follow up on all the dialogue options.

drotahorror

New games instantly get categorized and if I plan on playing them I 'favorite' them. I redid my whole library a week ago and like this way of doing things

Qwyjibo

Is there a way to get the FLAC version of the soundtrack if you pre-ordered it (along with the game) on Steam? It seems like the game only downloaded the MP3 version with it.

The over world is mostly just choices between where to go for dialogue/combat. It's minimal, and while I can't put my finger on the exact game it reminds me of, it's definitely in the neighborhood of that roguelike "Here are your options for today choose one lose two" or "Go left for this event or go right for that event". Between the dialogue and rites, I'd say it's about 2:1 reading:rites if you follow up on all the dialogue options.

Reminds me of Banner Saga, personally.

megalowho

Damn Supergiant, you guys have outdone yourselves. The world building, the art style, the music, it's intoxicating to take in as a whole. Loving the Failbetter style subtext, the Hearthstone style touches of interactivity. And the rites seem kind of awesome, like methodical 3-on-3 arcade basketball with a bunch of RPG mechanics layered in. Still early but this one is really clicking with me so far.

Permanently A

Ok the
Trials from Sandra
are REALLY fun.

So far, this is a good game, but doesn't grab me like Supergiant's first two games. The amount of downtime between the rites so far is a bit too much for my liking, and I'm about 3 hours in and nothing has really happened yet besides more characters joining the party. Maybe it picks up later?

Also the OST is a big disappointment so far... none of them have caught my ear yet.

Xeteh

Is there no history of the dialogue anywhere? My mouse is acting up and sometimes double clicks so I keep missing shit and its driving me insane.

Oh dammit, it's that easy? That's really disappointing.

Trust me, it picks up. Early on, the trials from Sandra are pretty intense. I'm a few hours in and the difficulty is rising with every match. I barely won my last match on the first try against the Chastity.

If it keeps getting harder I'm gonna start losing rounds soon.

jamsy

Sooo my game has crashed twice in a row on me during the first part where you're protecting your campfire from the howlers. Anyone else have this happen? (Playing on PS4 Pro here)

Doombear

Sooo my game has crashed twice in a row on me during the first part where you're protecting your campfire from the howlers. Anyone else have this happen? (Playing on PS4 Pro here)

My Pro crashed there as well, only once though. No crashes since. I did just have some very noticeable framerate slow down though, pretty heavily, in the rite at
The Glade of Lu

Hopeford

What happens if you lose a match? I vaguely remember the pre-release stuff saying it wouldn't be a game over, but I don't remember.

Ok the
Trials from Sandra
are REALLY fun.

So far, this is a good game, but doesn't grab me like Supergiant's first two games. The amount of downtime between the rites so far is a bit too much for my liking, and I'm about 3 hours in and nothing has really happened yet besides more characters joining the party. Maybe it picks up later?
The story gets more interesting.

Actually it's reminding me of
the first Mistborn book
, if you're familiar with that book series

1upsuper

Trust me, it picks up. Early on, the trials from Sandra are pretty intense. I'm a few hours in and the difficulty is rising with every match. I barely won my last match on the first try against the Chastity.

If it keeps getting harder I'm gonna start losing rounds soon.

That's good. Thanks.

Xeteh

The story gets more interesting.

Actually it's reminding me of
the first Mistborn book
, if you're familiar with that book series

I haven't quite got that same vibe (but I know what you're referencing) but damned if I wouldn't kill for a game in that series.
A game was announced in 2012 by some no-name developer so I never held hope it would come out and go figure it was finally officially canceled.

Trey

Once you put the difficulty to its highest and slap on a few Titans...whew. Game definitely has some difficulty if you want it.

Hopeford

So what determines how many points you score again? I can't seem to understand what gets -20 versus -18 or whatever. Is it the angle you approach the thing from?

jamsy

So what determines how many points you score again? I can't seem to understand what gets -20 versus -18 or whatever. Is it the angle you approach the thing from?
Each character has a glory rating. Then I believe you also get more points if the ball travels further when you throw it.

Class/size of the character and charging up throws

Basically, the risk of being slower or taking longer to charge up a shot equals a greater reward

Each character has a glory rating. Then I believe you also get more points if the ball travels further when you throw it.
This too

jamsy

My Pro crashed there as well, only once though. No crashes since. I did just have some very noticeable framerate slow down though, pretty heavily, in the rite at
The Glade of Lu
I just tried it for the third time and it crashed yet again...so um, not sure what to do...

Rhoc

After 2 hours I'm absolutly loving it. Supergiant is one of the Developers now that when you buy their game you get quality on the highest level. I love the music and the character design in particular. Difficulty is on the easier side on normal i may have to up it. I also love the voice thats speaking before during and after a battle.

Great to see positive reception to the game. I am going to get it for sure but I should finish this current playthrough of Transistor first.

As much as I loved Bation and Transistor, I think this may be taking the spot of favorite SuperGiant game. The story's interesting, the characters are fantastic, the pacing has ended up being perfect thus far. And the actual gameplay is super fun while also being extremely easy to get into. Bumping the difficulty up a little has made the rituals feel a bit more rewarding too.

Top Bottom