• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Q&A: What Makes A Perfect Grilled Cheese Sandwich?"

its all about the inside out grilled cheese

The%2BPerfect%2BGrilled%2BCheese%2BSandwich%2B500%2B4401.jpg

crispy cheese on the outside, gooey goodness on the inside

megalowho

My fancy grilled cheese recipe is garlic toasted sourdough, smoked cheddar and jalapeno slices. Also use cooking spray instead of butter, which may be sacrilege to the chef in the OP, but not a fan of buttery grilled cheeses.

Usually I get butter spread and put it on the bread, not in the pan and letting it melt. If I wanted to add mayo, should I just add it to butter spread or add it after letting the butter melt in the pan.

nullref

Once you start stuffing too much into a grilled cheese, it becomes something else. Cheese should at least be considered the primary filling and flavor.

Absolutely disagree with everytthing in the above quote. Kraft Singles is the go to. Grilled Cheese sandwiches should always start with individullay wrapped processed american cheese. Not even gonna talk about the mayonnaise nonsense.

I'll defend American cheese on a burger to the death, but I'm not as big on it in a grilled cheese. The melting and texture is good, but while it's blandness is an asset on a burger, it doesn't have enough flavor for a grilled cheese. Probably the ideal would be to make your own "fancy American cheese" with better aged cheese as a starting point, plus sodium citrate, etc. But in the absence of that, a mixture of American and some better cheese does a decent job of getting both flavor and gooey texture.

matt360

it isn't perfect unless its fast casual served in butcher paper on a wood plank, possibly on a miniature skillet because rustic urban visceral and the name of the place is called GRLD

Last time I was in Florida I ate at this restaurant, except it was called YOLO. I'm not shitting you, I swear it is a real place.

So you believe a grilled cheese sandwich is a bacon cheese melt?

Is a burger topped with bacon, lettuce and tomato a burger, or a BLT?

No, it's still a burger, because the primary ingredient is still the burger. It's not a "burger BLT" or whatever.

If you top a burger with pepperonis and tomato sauce and mozzarella, it's still a burger, not a pizza or a pizza melt or something.

Thus a grilled cheese can have a little bit of extra stuff added (garlic, or bacon, or tomatoes, or whatever) and still be a grilled cheese, as long as the primary ingredient in there is still cheese.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I use either Dave's Killer Multigrain or a brioche roll which I slice, microwave for ten seconds to soften and flatten with my palm.

I spread a little Dijon on each slice. I fill the sandwich with grated sharp white cheddar (Beechers) and grill in a pat of butter. I

sprinkle a little cheese on the outside of each side and grill again till crispy on the outside .

Slice and serve.

iavi

Y'all are ridiculous in your hate for American cheese. Is it my favorite? Nah. But it's got a good flavor for sandwiches and that's literally all it's used for

No one is serving American cheese with some grapes or whatever

This.

It's got its use.

Grilled cheese and burgers are best with it

The Argus

Use mayo instead of butter on the bread. When it hits the pan/griddle it leaves the beautiful color and texture butter does, but adds an almost sourdough kind of taste. It's my go to, just use a thin coating of it though.

Kayhan

norm9 said:
Sorry folks, a grilled cheese sandwich is easy to define. It's bread, butter, and american cheese. That's it. Any other answer is straight up wrong.

americas-favorite-grilled-52507-580x250.jpg

Stuff me in a melt if old.

Grilled "cheese" "sandwich" with American "cheese"

Toasting/grilling both sides of the bread first is key for me. I like the whole thing to stay crunchy as I'm eating it.

Putting extra cheese on the outside is really good as well, I was glad to see a few people mention that earlier in the thread.

I don't like American cheese on hardly anything but it is basically designed for grilled cheese. Y'all can have your preferences, but don't be snobs about this shit. Grilled cheese sandwiches are about the only thing American cheese is good for but it is good at it. I had one tonight and it was tasty af.

norm9

Had a basic grilled cheese sandwich with american cheese last night. Dolled it up with a bowl of Chef Boyardee ravioli as the dipping condiment of choice.

matt360

Use mayo instead of butter on the bread. When it hits the pan/griddle it leaves the beautiful color and texture butter does, but adds an almost sourdough kind of taste. It's my go to, just use a thin coating of it though.

Yes! Even better if you use Japanese Kewpie mayo!

riotous

Banned
I don't like American cheese on hardly anything but it is basically designed for grilled cheese. Y'all can have your preferences, but don't be snobs about this shit. Grilled cheese sandwiches are about the only thing American cheese is good for but it is good at it. I had one tonight and it was tasty af.

It's just cheep cheddar with a bunch of preservatives and other non-cheese ingredients; I'm not trying to be a snob about it, I just don't know why anyone would think it's particularly good on a grilled cheese. People in this thread are acting like it's the ONLY way to make one; it's kind of nutty to me.

Cheese, butter bread. Nothing else. Prefer a medium quality cheese - not processed but nothing too good either - waste of cheese otherwise. I like tomato in there, but that isn't a grilled cheese anymore.

0021000050970_CL_hyvee_default_large.jpeg

I don't care if people get all high and mighty and say it's not cheese, it's dang good for a grilled cheese sandwich. Throw in a side of tomato soup and it's perfect.

VanWinkle

I can't stand "fancy" grilled cheese sandwiches.

White bread (the bread can actually be nice but it's not absolutely necessary), American cheese, and butter. THAT'S IT. DON'T OVERTHINK IT.

Man I hate it when "chefs" make these abomination versions of something simple. While his version does sound yummy, its the classic when perfectly made is the real deal.

Do open faced sandwiches count?

DIJzT86.png

Are open faced "sandwiches" even sandwiches?

That's like calling chicago-style "pizza" pizza.
Do we need a repeat of the legendary European strugglewich incident?

Also, if there's anything other than butter, bread, cheese, it's not grilled cheese, it's a melt.

SummitAve

Banned
I'm a huge fan of cheese, but I think too sharp of a cheddar or a strong cheese in general can ruin the balance of a grilled cheese. Same with a breakfast sandwich.

Fry the bread on both sides with mayonnaise, and then a fried egg and some sort of tasty shredded cheese.

Sometimes I put pulled pork on it, but not always. And pickled onions are pretty tasty too.

Top Bottom