• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quake Champions: $30 for paid version, Doom Slayer added, 6 new heroes by end of 2018

xviper

It won’t. It has a number of things going for it:

It’s Quake. It’s a major franchise with a following. It’ll keep a dedicated community.
The final release will be F2P.
It will be well supported by the devs.

Sure, it probably won’t have +50k people playing, but arena shooters in general have turned into a niche genre. They aren’t even as close to being as popular as they were back in their prime. This game will do just fine.

didin't know it was F2P, maybe it will do good

Was watching a bit of the game. Looks really fun. Probably will have to buy it in the coming weeks. A bit tired of Overwatch. This looks like a nice change of pace.

Sarobi

Banned
i didn't play this game but i have a feeling that it will share the fate of Battleborn and Lawbreakers

Nah. It's doing fine for a Quake game in this day of age. The hardcore crowd is there for it, and the younger crowd who have never played or heard of it seem to like the hardcore/competitiveness of it. It's not going to pull in huge numbers, but it'll definitely be active if the developer keeps supporting the title.

When can i get the f2p version? When its out of early access?

Yes, when the final version goes live.

They stated this in their state of the game on Friday:

When will Early Access end?

When we feel we're ready. We're committed to ensuring the game is the best possible experience we can make. We want to work with the players to make it great.

Fugu

Nah. It's doing fine for a Quake game in this day of age. The hardcore crowd is there for it, and the younger crowd who have never played or heard of it seem to like the hardcore/competitiveness of it. It's not going to pull in huge numbers, but it'll definitely be active if the developer keeps supporting the title.
I'm not convinced this is true. The criticism for the duel format is mounting and I think that people who have come from previous Quake games are really noticing that the match quality is much lower than it was, and it has nothing to do with the quality of the players.

I'm not saying QC is going to fail -- in fact, I really hope it doesn't -- but I don't have a lot of confidence in Bethesda's abilities to manage the game well and I don't think it's safe to presume that the game will do well, particularly on the backs of the hardcore players. I mean hell, in the last Q&A they told us they wouldn't be letting players customize the level of bloom. Is this a Quake game? Really?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Whew, won a deathmatch by 50 frag limit, that was intense.

I had a Deathmatch where I went into overtime lol. They are always anticlimactic and awkward.
5jgxjcH.jpg

I had a Deathmatch where I went into overtime lol. They are always anticlimactic and awkward.

Was madness, every shot was connecting, quad damage triple rail kill's, absolute fire. Made up for being stomped on past couple of rounds :)

Unpicking higher pinging servers probably helped too.

Sub_Level

Breaking new ground in the field of team imbalance.

Whenever I'm on the losing side of a slaughter like that I always try my absolute hardest to kill the guy with 0 deaths because I KNOW it will piss them off a little lol

Especially in FFA because there is a medal for winning FFA and not having a single death.

Sub_Level

Alright folks we got server maintenance and a patch this morning.

- Improvements made to mitigate players getting stuck in rematch if most participants have declined it
- Fix: DOOM Slayer's Thak Rune Challenge can now be completed
- Fix: Podium crash that would rarely occur
- Removed: Lore scrolls drop in Duel

The next big update is not until next month.

boinx

Really hoping they manage to fix the hitboxes and rockets in the next patch. I didn't pay attention to the problem when I first started playing but after more matches it has definitely become noticeable.

I actually played Sacrifice. Everyone was like wtf this shit never happens. lol

It was on Blood Covenant and a whole new part of the map opens up, there was even a protection pick up. Pretty much a soul spawns and you take it back to your base and you defend it until it gets to 100%. So it’s a lot of back in forth. First team to win two rounds wins the game.

It was actually fun.

Uriah

Played my first game of Sacrifice and lost because someone left. It really hurts to be a man down in this mode.

So my gaming laptop destroys the game's system requirements and I'm a massive Quake III: Arena fan from back in the day when I was rocking my Voodoo 3 3000.

How does the game compare to Quake III? Worth jumping in at early access? Opinions would be appreciated.

Sub_Level

So my gaming laptop destroys the game's system requirements and I'm a massive Quake III: Arena fan from back in the day when I was rocking my Voodoo 3 3000.

How does the game compare to Quake III? Worth jumping in at early access? Opinions would be appreciated.

Couple things to keep in mind

- Early access really means early access in this case. This game is unfinished. Netcode is flaky.

- Playerbase is small. Only about ~1k playing on average at any given time, sometimes even less. This means matchmaking, even if it was implemented as good as possible, is not going to function properly. You will have games where you dominate and games where you get dominated. Queue times for me are only between 1 and 2 minutes. For some players across the globe, they are much higher.

That being said, its some of the most fun I've had with a game all year. Early access gives you access to all the characters.

Fugu

The short answer is that this game is 90% Quake 3 gameplay and that is demonstrated by the fact that if you play a standard Q3A/QL gameplan (focus on the big three and contesting big items) you will be successful. If you are, like me, mostly just looking for more of that style of gameplay, I would say that QC is absolutely worth picking up.

The big caveat here is that the game is in early access and plays like it's in early access; projectile weapons (particularly the rocket launcher) still don't work nearly as cleanly as they should and the gauntlet is straight messed up, and these issues are compounded by general netcode problems. But on this front the game has improved at a relatively rapid pace, going from almost completely unplayable as of early May to being most of the way there today.

The other caveat is that the changes that they have made to the Q3A (or, more accurately, QL) gameplay have been largely negative. The champions themselves actually aren't bad, but much of the residual gameplay effects that they've had have been negative. If you are a duel player, for example, you are going to notice instantly that there is a new duel format and it's... not very good. There are other issues too, like...

- The detrimental effect that changing the cooldowns on mega and RA has had on the difficulty of item control
- The relative balance of the big three currently being heavily weighted for the RL, which is doubly problematic since the RL is rather inconsistent in the current game
- The plethora of small decisions that have ultimately amounted to a downplaying of map control/positioning and a greater importance on just doing a lot of damage in a very short period of time, which is now much easier than it used to be

...I could go on, but it's not necessary and it gives a bit of the wrong impression. The actual gameplay is still really good, and the main negative impact is on duel, both as a player and as a spectator. I would, however, still recommend the game unqualified to anyone who is looking for more Quake.

That being said, its some of the most fun I've had with a game all year. Early access gives you access to all the characters.

I would, however, still recommend the game unqualified to anyone who is looking for more Quake.

Thanks for the super detailed and insightful responses guys!

Didn't expect that detailed a run-down and comparison to Quake III. You've both more than answered my question. Sounds like the game echoes the spirit of Quake III but is still rough around the edges given it's in early access, but the pure and core Quake gameplay is there and is as fun as ever. Based on both your glowing recommendations that also shed light on the negative aspects I'd say the game is definitely worth a shot overall. It's only going to improve over time and I'd love to get a solid Quake fix, given it has been almost two decades since Arena.

So thanks again. You both remind me how NeoGAF can be such a fantastic place. Awesome responses.

Bydobob

Thanks for the super detailed and insightful responses guys!

Didn't expect that detailed a run-down and comparison to Quake III. You've both more than answered my question. Sounds like the game echoes the spirit of Quake III but is still rough around the edges given it's in early access, but the pure and core Quake gameplay is there and is as fun as ever. Based on both your glowing recommendations that also shed light on the negative aspects I'd say the game is definitely worth a shot overall. It's only going to improve over time and I'd love to get a solid Quake fix, given it has been almost two decades since Arena.

So thanks again. You both remind me how NeoGAF can be such a fantastic place. Awesome responses.

Agree with the above posters. I'll just add that If you're coming at Quake from a long time away - as I did - prepare yourself for a humbling. All these modern shooters you've been playing have made you lazy and careless. Learning the item locations and when to pick your fights is more important than good aim and fancy strafe jumping to begin with. The good news is you'll get better. Quickly. You'll then wonder why the hell you were away from Quake for so long.

Izuna

Banned
The netcode is so bad I had to refund it.

Also, basic features like fps counters/lock etc. Need to make it to the game. I don't feel right using RTSS for Quake.

Sub_Level

Im gonna be honest, my online experience has been pretty smooth. Not saying there's not problems (its more likely im just not experienced enough to detect the problems) but I haven't had much frustration with the game's connection. And since the last patch, rubberbanding has gone waaaay down. Used to be 1 in 3 games now its more like 1 in 10.

For what its worth I play only on 2 data centers. I always uncheck 2 of the US centers everytime I boot up.

Sub_Level

So it seems like Athena, Keel and Death Knight are going to be the next characters added to the game. Athena gonna have that grapple hook for sure too.

Good. I love Slash so much but gonna need a new character with fun movement to master.

Fugu

I retract what I said about RL. Whatever changes they've made to LG recently has made it quite powerful indeed. I've heard something about them reverting it to what it was in QL, but I'm not sure that goes far enough in a game where everyone straight up has less health than they would in QL.

Sub_Level

The gauntlet is so integral to my playstyle. Over 600 humiliation medals.

When they inevitably nerf it I dunno what I'm gonna do lol.

nothing

It use to be a long more ridiculous than it's current state until a recent nerf. I feel the only adjustment left to make on it would be a forced CTD when swapping to gauntlet as Anarki.

Sub_Level

Seems like the player count on steam hovers around 500 generally. Dips to 200s around this time and jumps to 800s for daytime us/evening eu.

Not sure how many are still playin on the Todd Launcher.

boinx

Seems like the player count on steam hovers around 500 generally. Dips to 200s around this time and jumps to 800s for daytime us/evening eu.

Not sure how many are still playin on the Todd Launcher.

I think there are still some major issues that are holding game back in it's current state. Hitboxes, hit registration and other technical issues like crashing and so on on weaker rigs. I can't run it above 720p for example.

People also seem to want more stuff and they want it quicker these days. I think CTF, Clan Arena and more characters would definitely help with the player count. And when the game finally hits F2P, they really need to do a big marketing push at that point.

With all that being said, arena FPS unfortunately just doesn't seem to attract that much new players to it and I'm not sure what the fuck the problem is. Is the skill ceiling too high? Is getting trashed by quakedads too frustrating? Are people too intimated by the reputation of Quake to try this one out? Or are players generally just not that interested in it?

QC hasn't gained much attention on GAF from day one. I don't think any thread about it has reached 1k posts and we still don't have an OT for QC. The thing with that is that to me it seems like a significant amount of current PC gamers here made the transition from console in recent years and missed out on various shooters that used to be popular on PC back in the day.

Fugu

The problem with QC right now is that it is a double whammy of unappealing.

It's unappealing to Quake veterans who generally view most of the changes in a negative light (because most of the changes are bad).
It's unappealing to new players coming from other FPSes because it's still Quake and new players can look forward to months or years of being shit on relentlessly in the absence of matchmaking.

Id has never managed to accomplish not overdeveloping their resurgence of the Quake franchise. Their meddling just about killed Quake Live and it is getting perilously close to killing Quake Champions as well. They need to...

1. Rein in the development team and focus on the game that has most of these people interested in the first place: Quake 3 Arena
2. Implement matchmaking

I can't wait for this fix. The gauntlet in its current state is ridiculous.

MissChief

Still doubting to buy the game or not :/ Played countless of hours Quake 3 Arena and I actually welcome the new changes. The champions look great and seem to bring a nice diversity to the gameplay. On one side, I can't wait to play the game, on the other side I'm not sure I want to spend $30 on a multiplayer-only game, knowing the community could be dead in a few weeks ...

boinx

Still doubting to buy the game or not :/ Played countless of hours Quake 3 Arena and I actually welcome the new changes. The champions look great and seem to bring a nice diversity to the gameplay. On one side, I can't wait to play the game, on the other side I'm not sure I want to spend $30 on a multiplayer-only game, knowing the community could be dead in a few weeks ...

Well despite all the naysayers I can assure you that is not going to happen. QC is the best chance arena shooters have right now.

There are still a number of issues that need to be fix. Supposedly there is a big patch that is happening in October that will fix a number of these glaring issues. I'd at least hold off until that patch.

There really is no rush to get it since it will be going F2P at release.

Fugu

The community isn't going anywhere. There is a rather large contingent of players that will play whatever Quake game is current, and since this title is getting far more exposure than QL or Q4 ever did (neither of which "died" in their respective lifetimes, although for QL it's certainly debatable and region-dependent) I wouldn't count on the game being dead any time soon.

The concurrent players has never presented itself as an issue for me. I've been able to get matches at four in the morning and I don't live in a highly populated area.

The community isn't going anywhere. There is a rather large contingent of players that will play whatever Quake game is current, and since this title is getting far more exposure than QL or Q4 ever did (neither of which "died" in their respective lifetimes, although for QL it's certainly debatable and region-dependent) I wouldn't count on the game being dead any time soon.

The concurrent players has never presented itself as an issue for me. I've been able to get matches at four in the morning and I don't live in a highly populated area.

Ditto, no problems ever finding a game here. Steam shows it hovering around 1000 players usually, more at the weekend, and that doesn't include people playing using the Bethesda launcher .... thing.

Expect it to grow a fair bit when it goes F2P too.

I wasn't a Q3 player back in the day, was more into UT, but this shit is refined crack.

Sub_Level

Its amazing how many people don't know that you have to physically pick up the lore scrolls lol

Just because you shoot a pot or bookshelf and the announcer says that lore is found doesn't mean that you have it...

Sub_Level

I have literally found one and I have no idea what they do.

Each character has 10 pieces of lore. Lore is found in lore scrolls. 1 lore scroll per game. No lore scrolls in Duel mode. Each lore scroll is 1 random piece of lore for a randomly selected character. If you get all 10 for any particular character, you get a unique costume for them. This costume cannot be unlocked via any of the currencies.

I'm 65/110 scrolls down. Gonna finally start getting costumes here in the next week or two.

120v

anybody have tips on keybinding? i have an 11-button gaming mouse on the way but USPS seems to have lost it... really wanted to get some quake in this weekend but i just can't get weapon switching to work for me

Fugu

anybody have tips on keybinding? i have an 11-button gaming mouse on the way but USPS seems to have lost it... really wanted to get some quake in this weekend but i just can't get weapon switching to work for me
Many (if not most) of Quake's best players have, historically, not used mouse binds. There is some debate about using right click for jump but that's about it. The standard arrangement for weapon binds looks like this:

Machine Gun - 2
Shotgun - 3
Nailgun - 4*
Tri-bolt - lol
Rocket Launcher - Q
Lightning Gun - E
Rail Gun - R

* - This one is somewhat contentious because the Super Nailgun and Plasma generally went on F and the grenade launcher would go on 4, but there's no grenade launcher and F has a use now so 4 it is.

You need access to jump (space), crouch (ctrl), and walk (shift), as well as zoom (rmb) if you're into that kind of thing. I think most people use the standard bindings. I do, except that when I first started playing I flipped around rocket and rail and have stuck with it ever since.

120v

Many (if not most) of Quake's best players have, historically, not used mouse binds. There is some debate about using right click for jump but that's about it. The standard arrangement for weapon binds looks like this:

Machine Gun - 2
Shotgun - 3
Nailgun - 4*
Tri-bolt - lol
Rocket Launcher - Q
Lightning Gun - E
Rail Gun - R

* - This one is somewhat contentious because the Super Nailgun and Plasma generally went on F and the grenade launcher would go on 4, but there's no grenade launcher and F has a use now so 4 it is.

You need access to jump (space), crouch (ctrl), and walk (shift), as well as zoom (rmb) if you're into that kind of thing. I think most people use the standard bindings. I do, except that when I first started playing I flipped around rocket and rail and have stuck with it ever since.

hmm interesting. folks on reddit led me to believe going towards the number bar was lol noob stuff but their alternatives were all kinds of whack so grain of salt i guess

2 and 3 i can roll with but anything else just gets me killed heat of the moment. i'll see where i'm at later. i really just got the mouse to get my gauntlet out at the right times and supplement one or two other things, but it's good to know it's not "required"

Fugu

If you're using WASD, there's nothing at all wrong with using 1-4. In fact, it'd be kind of stupid not to use them considering they're so close.

I don't even bind anything to my middle mouse button. If they ever introduce binds that'll probably change but until they do you really just don't need a lot of buttons to play Quake.

Top Bottom