• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quake Champions: $30 for paid version, Doom Slayer added, 6 new heroes by end of 2018

Yeah but ESDF makes crouching weird.

I use the closer of my mouse's two side buttons across most games now.

ESDF is better in most respects if you think about it, imo. (The F key often has a nice bump on it that aids in finding finger positioning, too.)

Velikost

I've been trying to play the game today and any time I launch it, the game closes almost immediately. Tried to find an answer to fix it online but I didn't really see anything out there. Anyone else have this issue?

Steam version if it matters

bee

rmb - +forward
lmb - shoot
w - zoom
asd - other movement
e - rocket
f - lg
left side mouse - rail
middle mouse - shot gun
mwheel down - mg
g - gauntlet
v - tribolt
left side mouse 2 - nail
ctrl - crouch
shift - ability
space - jump
c - walk

been doing pretty well recently, outfragging good duellers like pikawa in tdm

Fugu

Not if you crouch with C.
This sounds horrible.

I use the closer of my mouse's two side buttons across most games now.

ESDF is better in most respects if you think about it, imo. (The F key often has a nice bump on it that aids in finding finger positioning, too.)
I think it's purely subjective. ESDF sounds more appealing on paper but I vastly prefer the triangle shape you get in your hand from resting on CTRL-WASD-Space, so any notion of ESDF being unilaterally superior must be untrue.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I've been trying to play the game today and any time I launch it, the game closes almost immediately. Tried to find an answer to fix it online but I didn't really see anything out there. Anyone else have this issue?

Steam version if it matters

That happens if the game cannot detect an internet connection. Make sure there's nothing that may be putting up a roadblock (e.g. Steam being in Offline Mode).

This sounds horrible.

I think it's purely subjective. ESDF sounds more appealing on paper but I vastly prefer the triangle shape you get in your hand from resting on CTRL-WASD-Space, so any notion of ESDF being unilaterally superior must be untrue.

In games that don't require crouch-jumping to rocket jump, C is the sane choice.

Why is crouch ever bound to left control by default? What kind of maniac contorts their hand and uses their pinky just to crouch?

Fugu

I don't know what fucked up thing is happening with your hands but if you've got movement on WASD it's actually pretty hard not to have a finger on left shift/control.

Do whatever makes you feel comfortable, folks.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
What kind of maniac contorts their hand and uses their pinky just to crouch?

5Wr9XVu.jpg

Its not really contortion by any stretch lol

Xyber

In games that don't require crouch-jumping to rocket jump, C is the sane choice.

Why is crouch ever bound to left control by default? What kind of maniac contorts their hand and uses their pinky just to crouch?

But the pinky sits perfectly on shift normally and then you just bend it a little to reach ctrl? Sure, it's not very comfortable to press it for a longer period of time for games that needs that, but then you just have C bound as a toggle for those occasions. :)

drotahorror

Putting it on C means you can't strafe and change guns while crouching. Putting it on any of the modifier keys removes that limitation.

Or if you're a weirdo like me that uses wasd like it's homerow, C for crouch lets you do anything.

Sub_Level

Sub level, you have to give us a chance. You took all the kills in that DM game.

Did I play against you on Burial Grounds? Heh I was just doing some runes for BJ.

Got rekt the very next game on Lockbox. Was taking all the deaths instead of kills lol

Did I play against you on Burial Grounds? Heh I was just doing some runes for BJ.

Got rekt the very next game on Lockbox. Was taking all the deaths instead of kills lol

Yeah, you were BJ on Burial Grounds. I started off pretty good (7-1) then I burnt out pretty fast lol.

Velikost

That happens if the game cannot detect an internet connection. Make sure there's nothing that may be putting up a roadblock (e.g. Steam being in Offline Mode).

Not it at all. After doing a bunch of troubleshooting it seems to be related to RTSS, as the game only works when I disable it. It worked fine for weeks with it before. No idea why it's acting up now

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Not it at all. After doing a bunch of troubleshooting it seems to be related to RTSS, as the game only works when I disable it. It worked fine for weeks with it before. No idea why it's acting up now

How bizarre.

Patrick S.

Banned
My pinky rests on the control key, but I've always found using my fragile little pinky to press keyboard buttons to be highly uncomfortable. Alt to crouch for life!

Fugu

You can't keep your hand flat like that while still crouching and moving left.

Alt or left shift. Come on. Left control is way too slow. I don't trust anyone who's played Team Fortress 2 and still uses left control to crouch especially.
Why would my hand be flat? That sounds horribly uncomfortable.

I have been a high level Quake player for a long time and I use left control for crouch. Good for you and all that you don't like it but it's far from impossible and it's definitely not inefficient considering it is probably the most common bind (or, at least, one of the most common) for crouch among high level players.

The real story here is that binds don't matter at all and you should do whatever lets you do the maneuvers.

Why would my hand be flat? That sounds horribly uncomfortable.

I have been a high level Quake player for a long time and I use left control for crouch. Good for you and all that you don't like it but it's far from impossible and it's definitely not inefficient considering it is probably the most common bind (or, at least, one of the most common) for crouch among high level players.

The real story here is that binds don't matter at all and you should do whatever lets you do the maneuvers.

Flat in reference to the way it shows the hand in that picture.

Then do they always have pinky on left control? That's always seemed too uncomfortable.

Another ask us anything.

Are you going to rework some of the rune challenges? Some of them are very difficult, especially for new players. Other challenges require insane luck.

Yes, absolutely. While it was great to get the Rune System out there to introduce it to players, we plan on going over all of the existing challenges and making adjustments. Some challenges will have their goals adjusted, while others may be replaced entirely.

Will there be more passive ability focus on mobility? (Like wall jump, crouch slide, etc.)

I think we will continue our current trend of having a mix of passives, some that provide movement mechanics, others than provide gameplay buffs. We certainly have a few Champions slated for next year with movement passives.

Visor's passive, Full Sprint, is not too useful due to his slow acceleration, especially with small maps. Its uniqueness is also lessened since every character can break their speed cap by rocket/tri-bolt boosting. Will you look at retooling his passive to better match his kit?

I don't anticipate changing his passive or adding a new passive ability to Visor. We have some changes coming in the next couple of update that will make his active ability more effective. We'd like to see how Visor plays after making those changes before looking at further changes, but I would be more tempted to increase his acceleration, causing him to make better use of his passive, than change the passive itself.

When will Tim Willits be a playable character?

We don't foresee making Tim or any other developers Champions. We have so many Champions right now that we'd like to get into the game.

Are there any ideas for maps with volumetric fog?

Ideas? Sure. But nothing we're going to capitalize on yet. A lot of players dislike heavy fog maps, and we probably need a lot more maps in our library before we brand out into those.

Are we going to get fast weapon switch?

Not sure. If it ever is desirable for one of our upcoming modes then we may add the feature and make it available as a Custom Game option, but we probably won't pursue it until such time.

Will there be a chainsaw skin for the Gauntlet?

We'd love to have one eventually, but it may present some technical challenges that prevent us from doing so immediately. We would have to build a lot of new animations to support custom melee weapons.

Do you plan to add an option for raw mouse input?

I would like to eventually add raw mouse input.

Any new info on customizing crosshairs?

No new info yet. I reviewed some crosshair work last week while visiting Saber, but most of this work is planned for October and November.

How is progress going on the zoom sensitivity slider?

We're slated to work on those features in October for release later this year.

Can we expect quality of life additions like the client remembering data center choices?

Yes, this is another one of those features we're tackling in October for a release later this year.

Can we have the option to disable chat completely to avoid toxic players?

Perhaps, although I would personally prefer just the ability to mute or report such player behavior so that we may address the issue at hand.

Can we get shaders for our names? I want my colored name back from Q3A!

We'll discuss it, but there are currently no plans right now for colored names. While they were fun, I actually prefer the clarity gained from being able to have team colored names in UI and chat, and colored names either interfere with that, or you have to choose only select places to display those colored names.

Do you have any information you can share about how ranked will work? Are there different divisions? Will there be different ranks for each ranked mode? (A player having one ranking for Duel, one for TDM, etc.?)

Currently there are 5 divisions, with room to expand if needed. Players will be able to see their division in all modes, and in ranked play players will see their division rank as well as their MMR value.

Will Custom Game allow us to adjust things like champion stats, item pickup placements, respawn/ability timers?

While Custom Game does have a lot of planned features, we don't plan for players to be able to make these adjustments in Custom Game.

Can you talk about what each developer works on for Quake Champions? Specifically, what does id Software do, and what does Saber Interactive do?

That's not an easy question to answer! We have a lot of developers at both Saber and id. The bulk of design direction comes straight from id, and a lot of the art and programming is done at Saber. But in all cases, we have people at both studios doing work. There's no single part of the game - level design, character creation, programming, animation - that we can point to as being 100% developed by one studio or the other. It's a collaboration.

Fugu

I really don't understand why they are so averse to doing customization the way it has always been done in Quake; why are we even arguing about having the option to change cursors? If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Flat in reference to the way it shows the hand in that picture.

Then do they always have pinky on left control? That's always seemed too uncomfortable.
My pinky rests on shift. I don't use crouch that much since I am primarily a teams player. If I need to crouch, I move it to control.

I have very small hands for a man. My fingers don't look anything like what was shown in that screenshot. They're considerably arched and my thumb is distended quite a bit to the right.

Again, it really doesn't matter. If it's not comfortable for you, don't do it.

Uriah

Just had a Sacrifice game where my teammate went 4-27 and proceded to accuse one of the worse performing players on the other team of cheating. How . . .

Sub_Level

They sent out another round of surveys. Its a different survey than the one they did during the beta. If you got any big recommendations you better say them now lol

Fugu

They sent out another round of surveys. Its a different survey than the one they did during the beta. If you got any big recommendations you better say them now lol
I filled it out, wrote a lot about how I feel that the game is good but is still quite a bit worse than QL on many fronts, particularly in terms of duel, and that they should spend less time trying to reinvent the wheel and more time focusing on how to add value to what was already a stellar package.

boinx

Doomguy was always good tho. Yeah the punch is a bit iffy to get a connect with sometimes but it's better to use it as a finisher or to ambush someone anyways.

"-Addressed issues where users sometimes were unable to fire weapons and lost other functionality, such as only being able to shoot the machinegun (mostly reported by and affecting Canadian players on certain ISPs)"

Thank goodness for that. Looks like I'll be playing more then.

I like that they listed Doom Slayer's silence as a passive perk, haha.

Patch is 11gb. That's like two hours for me.

tumblr_inline_oidplnkEX01qd0nu6_500.gif

Doomguy was always good tho. Yeah the punch is a bit iffy to get a connect with sometimes but it's better to use it as a finisher or to ambush someone anyways.

He has great stats and one of the best passives. However, this Berserk was hot garbage. Trying to get a kill against a competent player with it was almost impossible. It was pretty much just used as a speed boost to get away. So I'm really curious to see how it plays post patch.

Sub_Level

Seeing impressions that the patch actually hurt performance lol. Make sure to recheck graphical settings.

Still downloading my patch so haven't tried it yet.

It reset mine back to "High" (which, each patch seems to do for this).

Are other players pings no longer showing ?

Pings should be showing, I had one match on VA in TDM where they weren't showing up.

Let me know how you guys like the patch!

Sub_Level

Patch impressions so far

- Graphics were set to high so I had to change them back
- There was a lot of stuttering in my first match
- I couldn't see anyone else's ping
- My game crashed after 30 seconds

Oh man lmao

So I played one match before I have to go to work.

DOOM Slayer is really good now and the rocket launcher is more consistent.

Now for the bad, my performance went way down. I'm talking like 20-30 fps down. I went from +100s to 80s and 90s, I have a 144hz monitor so my frames are important to me!

I also crashed about five minutes into my Sacrifice game. I never once had a crash before and I have about 40 hours played. Seems like a lot of people are crashing lol.

So yeah, I'm slightly annoyed.

Sub_Level

Played second game. Was able to play the whole match.

Then at the end it crashed back to desktop.

Hopefully the crashing gets fixed soon because it really is unplayable now.

Edit: I fixed my crashing problem. Under game settings I turn off that Razer Chroma and it runs fine now.

poros1ty

They hype up this first big/major patch of the game in early access but then in the patch notes you see it just contains fixes and no new content/systems/features.

The development of this game is one big mess.

Also a good video to catch yourself up on how Quake got to this point, despite the bad mic quality:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcWLuMeN2oA

Ah sweet. Can't wait to try this out. I'd always start to desync at the 5 minute mark of every match and it would slowly get worse till the match ended. Hopefully that will no longer be the case. =D

iddqd

Going to wait to see if they push another hot fix tonight or tomorrow.
The stuttering and crashing is not worth all the other quality of life improvements.

The UI DOES look and feel better though.

bee

that really is quite the performance regression, the testing on this patch was non existant

Top Bottom