• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quake Champions: $30 for paid version, Doom Slayer added, 6 new heroes by end of 2018

Vintage

It's stupid that there isn't autobalance / team change option. Sometimes 1 or 2 of other team leave and the match goes on for minutes to like 75 - 20 and it's not fun. I once left because the other team was being stomped and I got penalised for it :/

I hope they have some way to disable the rain later. It's jarring as fuck to go from 120 fps to 70 because of it. It causes so much stuttering.

Playing at night/early morning is bad for my ego. Just when I thought I was getting better, I just get shit on every game.

Bydobob

First time playing in over a week and the stutter is much better. Haven't changed my 163 fps cap either.

Beginning to get irritated by the inconsistent hit registration though. I'll go one game where I'm fragging players with relative ease, to another where I'm raining a ton of damage with all the feedback but no kill. It's as if every player has mega health and armour. Surely not possible. My ping is usually in the 20s.

I'm getting tired of spawning into the muzzle of someone's shotgun too, system lacks intelligence to know where opponents are on map. Weapon placement could do with a tweak. A few empty areas could do with weapons while others are too concentrated. I've finally given up on the Tri-bolt, thing needs a serious buff.

All that said I'm addicted to Quake all over again. It's taken some adjustment getting back to playing this type of shooter, but the highs make all the frustrating deaths worth it!

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Disabling UAC is literally the first thing I do on any new Windows install. Seriously, disable it. It's basically a glorified extra "are you sure" prompt.
For all that is good and holy please ignore this person. If you have some shitty virus thing that wants to run on your (probably admin) account, uac will pop up. If you didn't chose to make an action it will save your ass.

Or listen to the recommendations of a botnet, up to you!

Jinroh

Yeah disabling UAC is one of the most stupid thing someone could do with a computer. I understand wanting to disable it when Vista released 10 years ago; it was very invading. But now? Come on.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
One time I punched a Sorlag 3 times with Doomguy's punch and she was still alive.

It either needs a damage boost, attack rate boost, or accuracy boost.

Is there a Dual mode in this yet, if so how good is it? Does it play like Quake 3?

Duel plays almost like King of Fighters if you're familiar with that series. You each pick 3 champions, then battle in a map. When a champion dies, you or your opponent decides who they bring out next and spawn on the other side of the map. You have a 5 minute time limit. Upon reaching 5 minutes it goes into sudden death and first to kill wins even if you or your opponent have remaining champions you didn't use.

Duel in quake champions even has a couple specific maps that are JUST for that. Naturally it doesn't support the really big deathmatch maps cuz that'd be boring, so just small Duel maps and medium size deathmatch maps.

drotahorror

You can get reliquaries via leveling up too, I think you get one every 5 levels or so.

True, I think you're right. But I was level 11 when I got this chest. I think Reliq's have 3 items right? This one had 2, the 2 legendaries.

Got the bone helmet today out of a backpack for scalebearer, which is my main atm.

I mainly just do my dailies and don't play much more. I want to but I just don't for some reason.

Sub_Level

True, I think you're right. But I was level 11 when I got this chest. I think Reliq's have 3 items right? This one had 2, the 2 legendaries.

Got the bone helmet today out of a backpack for scalebearer, which is my main atm.

I mainly just do my dailies and don't play much more. I want to but I just don't for some reason.

I've gotten 2 legendaries in a regular old chest as well
TU0EyGb.jpg

I've also gotten 3 weapon shaders in a reliquary on the other side of the spectrum. Its totally random.

Fugu

I rewatched Quakecon 2016 Duel and it's just making me feel very negative about all of the bullshit changes in QC. It's still fun but it's a downgrade, for sure.

I rewatched Quakecon 2016 Duel and it's just making me feel very negative about all of the bullshit changes in QC. It's still fun but it's a downgrade, for sure.

Been watching Quake for years and it really bugs me to see duels decided by hero pick, ability use (especially a janky one like dire orb telefrag) and tiny stack limits.

Maybe it's better for a casual playerbase and new player retention, but the stack limits have downgraded the strategic game significantly. It used to take so much effort and planning to sabotage someone who had full map control, and that's part of the reason why watching someone like Rapha do it over the course of a few minutes was amazing.

Fugu

I don't care nearly as much about the abilities as I do about the affect that the changes to stack has had on the intelligence of poking and the level of advantage held by being in control. Duel has gotten a lot less... well, chesslike as a spectator sport.

Having said that, I am a control player first and foremost and I've been doing just fine in TDM, even though a stacked Nyx has about as much ehp as a freshly-spawned Sorlag.

Some of these runes are also really obnoxious to get. Like getting 10 ring outs or 50 kamikaze kills.

I just ignore them for the most part. It seems like a hassle just for some different color schemes.

I didn't even realize lore was a pickup, I would just be playing a match and hear "lore found" and figured it was something automatic.

Yup, there is only one per match. That's why you see some people completely forgetting about map control early game and going straight for the pots.

KingKong

Some of these runes are also really obnoxious to get. Like getting 10 ring outs or 50 kamikaze kills.

its supposed to be a long term goal, you don't have to do anything but play to level them up anyway

also I've gotten some nice drops even from backpacks and chests like vanity items and different heads and I'm only level 10.

Fugu

Also did my first FFA, went ok. The good players really just dominate though.

Getting a good* win rate in FFA is rather uncomplicated. It comes down to three main elements:

1. Controlling the important items on the map. Because QC uses the same timer for all major pickups, it's unlikely that you will actually be able to control both major items at once for very long (despite some very... questionable map design choices making it relatively possible, like on Lockbox). Having said that, you should at least have the time on red and mega and use that knowledge to be there to contest as many pickups as possible. This all goes doubly for quad; quad wins games of deathmatch and every quad you pick up not only increases your score total rapidly but prevents someone else from getting that same benefit. You can also leverage quad into major item pickups. The advantage of a quad pickup extends well past its short stated duration.

2. Securing access to the three main weapons - RL, LG and RG. This is significantly less important in QC than it was in QL/Q3A (for a number of reasons but mostly due to the buffing of the other weapons and the inclusion of hero powers), but these three weapons will still give you a significant advantage at their respective ranges. The current health pool arrangement particularly makes the RL very powerful, and you should focus on getting that first unless you are particularly strong with the LG, in which case its ability to dominate midrange fights is likely to result in more consistent conversions. RG serves a bit of a weird purpose in FFA as it mostly just allows you to take potshots and get kills that otherwise wouldn't be possible. This hints at another key point: In FFA you always want to be outputting damage.

3. Restricting your scope wherever possible to fights you can win. Dying is a very large setback in Quake (although not nearly as large as it used to be) and you want to avoid it wherever possible, even if it means ignoring an opportunity to deal some short-term damage to keep a low profile. It is especially important in FFA to also focus on kills you can convert on. There's no use trying to pelt someone with rockets at a long range since the odds are very good that they'll be able to get away. By its very nature FFA gives you an ample selection of targets to choose from and you want to spend as much time as possible focusing on people you can frag quickly and with a low probability of failure.

Of course, you also need good aim and positioning, but that comes with time.

* A good FFA win rate to me is first place >30% of the time and podium 100% of the time

Duffk1ng

I imagine it also comes down to being good at aiming :p I'm ok but I tense my arm up a lot, in all FPS games these days. Possibly as I don't play as much as I used to, but I'm hoping playing something more twitch like this will make me more relaxed.

I have been trying to avoid fights when I'm not equipped but it's pretty difficult, especially on maps like Burial Chamber. Which I'm not sure why it's so popular anyway. In TDM it seems I regularly spawn right around the corner from 3 enemies, and on a couple of the maps including this one it seems all the powerful weapons are stacked right on top of each other. The Rail, Lightning an one of the Rocket Launchers are all right next to each other on that map. On FFA half my spawns I was under fire really quickly too.

Still can't pick a character, I like BJ for the dual lightning guns so far. Doom Slayer was just annoying with the double jumping. Anarki was... ok. Might try slash but don't know what crouch sliding does. Need to give Ranger a shot too.

The most frustrating thing for me in this is not knowing how close I was to killing someone. I'm pretty good at dishing out damage, but I don't really know the item timings yet so I'm rarely as well equipped as the players I go up against and often feel like I've done a ton of damage and not been able to finish enemies off. I racked up a fair few impressives last night but they rarely lead to a kill as well.

I didn't realise at first that the starting machinegun isn't the same gun as the regular one. I was wondering why it was a pickup for a while. Then I assumed it was because you can pick different weapons to start with. I only twigged when I tried the shotgun that they were different.

MissChief

I hope they will add Hunter soon, my favorite skin in Quake 3 Arena :)

btw: what's currently the cheapest place to buy Quake Champions ?

Sub_Level

Even back on dreamcast I was using the shotgun whenever I got quad. I'm glad its still a good quad weapon.

Fugu

Even back on dreamcast I was using the shotgun whenever I got quad. I'm glad its still a good quad weapon.
Shotgun has always been okay for quad but it's not the best. What you want with quad is a gun that leaves you as little exposure as possible to return fire as possible, which generally translates into a gun that is easy to hit with. Because the shotgun has the possibility to deal non-fatal damage with quad, you have to be really careful not to miss with it or you could end up dead; you could even end up being killed by a non-quad SG.

The best weapon for quad on most maps is LG. Assuming you can aim, the LG both does a ridiculous amount of damage with quad and causes so much knockback that your opponent won't be able to move or do much to fight back. Historically, the next best gun has been PG, but I don't know if the hit detection is good enough yet for the SNG to really take that slot. The machine guns work okay on maps with big open spaces. Don't use rail unless you're a god or you have no other options because its dps is quite low.

The SG and MG are situational quad weapons. The SG works very well on maps like dm6 where you are unlikely to need any more range than quad SG provides, whereas the MG works on maps where players are very exposed and can't tolerate the higher constant damage output of quad MG.

Quad RL is a zen art form to be undertaken only by the goddiest of Quake gods.

I imagine it also comes down to being good at aiming :p I'm ok but I tense my arm up a lot, in all FPS games these days. Possibly as I don't play as much as I used to, but I'm hoping playing something more twitch like this will make me more relaxed.
Your sensitivity might be too high. Tension is bad for aim and bad for your body. As far as Quake goes, FFA requires the least aim out of all the major gametypes to be successful at, although that's not to say that good aim doesn't make a difference.

I have been trying to avoid fights when I'm not equipped but it's pretty difficult, especially on maps like Burial Chamber. Which I'm not sure why it's so popular anyway. In TDM it seems I regularly spawn right around the corner from 3 enemies, and on a couple of the maps including this one it seems all the powerful weapons are stacked right on top of each other. The Rail, Lightning an one of the Rocket Launchers are all right next to each other on that map. On FFA half my spawns I was under fire really quickly too.
EDIT: THIS ADVICE IS FOR CHURCH OF AZANWHATEVER. MY BAD

- Mega is in a very open space on this map. You should have time on it but you can't really expect to control it in an FFA game. Stay away from here when quad is up unless you have quad.
- RA is close to SG and RL. You can control RA and RL at the same time very easily, which is good if you have RL but bad if you don't. However, if you're at RA and you don't know what's happening in RL room don't go through the adjoining corridor as it's very easy to take a lot of spam; use the teleporter instead.
- LG is relatively isolated on this map so you shouldn't have too much trouble getting it. If I'm spawning fresh, I generally try to get LG first so that I can get RA and/or RL. Also note that the RL room is a good size for LG but not so good for RL, although a player already in RL room can spam the passages easily.
- Rail is pretty useless on this map and it's positioned in such a way that you're probably going to get railed going for it. However, if quad is coming up soon and you're going to arrive early to that side of the map, it's best to approach quad from rail side and use the height/firepower advantage until quad is almost up.
- If you have quad and you have an LG, go from quad to mega, mega to RL, and then RL to RA (do this in reverse if you know RA is up soon). If you don't have an LG, go to LG first and skip mega.
- If you don't have quad, go to RA and use the teleporter if you hear the quad carrier. Don't go to SG; it won't end well for you.

My basic strategy on this map is to contest RA until I control it and then leverage RA into quad. It doesn't really matter if I get quad every time or not; it's really RA that's important since you can't really control mega in FFA so if you're picking up most RAs and keeping your health at a reasonable level you're going to be more stacked than everyone else. As I mentioned above, getting LG is generally your best shot since it's kind of close to MH but it's not central enough that it's likely to be heavily controlled. You can also go for NG instead if you really want to but its proximity to RA makes this a bit more dangerous. Unless you spawn right next to RA, by the way, I wouldn't go straight for it since you're probably just going to run into the guy who did spawn next to RA and get clobbered since he probably also has RL.

Still can't pick a character, I like BJ for the dual lightning guns so far. Doom Slayer was just annoying with the double jumping. Anarki was... ok. Might try slash but don't know what crouch sliding does. Need to give Ranger a shot too.
I use Nyx. I think she's very, very powerful for everything except duel. Her ability is both a free kill and a way to escape death.

The most frustrating thing for me in this is not knowing how close I was to killing someone. I'm pretty good at dishing out damage, but I don't really know the item timings yet so I'm rarely as well equipped as the players I go up against and often feel like I've done a ton of damage and not been able to finish enemies off. I racked up a fair few impressives last night but they rarely lead to a kill as well.
The characters most likely to be killed by two rails are the characters least likely to be hit by two rails. RG is best used -- in FFA especially -- for incidental damage and hitting people you can't otherwise hit. Don't expect frags and you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Fugu

Sorry for the double post, but the bug that causes you to be stuck to your primary weapon and for most of the sound to stop working seems to be specific to Rogers and can be "fixed" (lol) by using a VPN.

Uriah

Nyx is probably my favorite champ too. Being able to use her ability to escape or get a kill is really powerful.

rainz

Should they keep tribolt and try to fix it? Or just replace it with grenade launcher?
Replace it asap i reckon... it has to be one of the worst weapons ive used in a game hah.. Occasionally i forget how much it sucks and get a couple kills with it but its quite rare.. Would love a good kind of "bouncy" grenade launcher..

Passed 30 hours today on steam.

Gauntlet is op. But I kinda like it that way.

Steam has me at 30 hours, but in game it has 18 hours. So I'm assuming it only counts when you are in match.

They also did a state of the game on Friday. A patch should be coming this week fixing bugs and performance issues. Some of the highlights: (RIP gauntlet)

Rocket and Railgun updates

In the next update, rocket explosions will move from client-side to server authority. Previously, there had been a hitbox just for rockets, and a different hitbox for other weapons, and because we're moving from the animation system to static meshes there would be a discrepancy, causing rockets to collide with the meshes and incorrectly be seen as a hit in the client, but it would actually be a miss on the server.

With the railgun, if you fired and moved your mouse in the same frame, the trail would draw late. This is a different issue than rockets. We've identified the solution, and we need to test it, but we're aiming to fix it in our big October update.

Rubber-banding

Rubber-banding is a symptom of a few different issues. We're pushing packets every client frame, which saturates your bandwidth data (especially if you have high fps), which causes rubber-banding. We're addressing this by limiting the amount of data we're pushing out--not just how often, but also compressing the data to be as little as possible.

Why is over-health/over-armor decay slower on tanky characters than on light characters?

We're always willing to balance this, but that came from light characters traditionally being more successful because they were fast and difficult to hit, and faster decay keeps them in check.

Will rocket splash damage be tweaked?

There are different opinions, even within the studio, and hearing what our pro players think from the QWC. We need to figure out what we want to pursue.

Are you going to buff Clutch?

We have a lot of ideas for clutch, definitely changes for his passives. We're happy with the dodge. The speed you need to double-tap to dodge will have a slider. His mining drill hasn't been successful, we might make some buffs or improvements to it, or we might reevaluate it.

We have a backlog of features, but right now we're focused on network issues and fixing any problems you may have first. But we're adding to that content backlog.

What about Sorlag's spit?

Sorlag's spit has a 600ms delay before she can fire, but her ability lasts for a second, so we'll tweak it to have some more padding before she can shoot after spitting.

Any changes to the Lightning Gun?

We want to keep the dynamic of rocket launcher/railgun/lightning gun, but we're going to lean towards rockets so that it's not just hitscan weapons that are important. The LG is powerful because it was firing invisible projectiles to smooth out detection; we're going back to a linear trace, like previous Quake games.

What changes are you making to Doom Slayer's berserk ability?

The leap strike is hard to hit enemies, sometimes it'll miss or it won't activate when you want. We're testing improved targeting that we hope to have out by October. Any time we adjust melee distance for one Champion, we need to make sure it doesn't break other Champions.

The gauntlet is really strong right now!

It's not the damage, it's the distance. The gauntlet has a long range. We're going to adjust the range.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/611500/announcements/detail/1434816098526578030

Fugu

There's a whole lot of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" going on in this game. It's more than a little bit annoying.

120v

i didn't play this game but i have a feeling that it will share the fate of Battleborn and Lawbreakers

as somebody who's been playing the game, watching streams, getting a sense of the community in general... this isn't going to be the next tryhard flop everybody points and laughs at

not every game has to be pubg and overwatch

i didn't play this game but i have a feeling that it will share the fate of Battleborn and Lawbreakers

It won’t. It has a number of things going for it:

It’s Quake. It’s a major franchise with a following. It’ll keep a dedicated community.
The final release will be F2P.
It will be well supported by the devs.

Sure, it probably won’t have +50k people playing, but arena shooters in general have turned into a niche genre. They aren’t even as close to being as popular as they were back in their prime. This game will do just fine.

Top Bottom