• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quake was released 20 years ago today June 22, 1996

I'm not arguing that Quake wasn't influential. I watched that RetroAhoy retrospective - so good -, and I agree, it's one of the most instrumental games in shaping the market. You would have to be a fool or ignorant to argue otherwise.

I'm arguing that it's not "THE most influential". Come on. For one thing, it's hard to quantify those things. And for another, there are many games, including those I mentioned, that could make that claim. For specific things, Quake might be the most influential game (like online multiplayer and modding) but not as a whole.

I can agree with that, but I still think Quake had a big effect on the gaming landscape over the last 20 years. Mostly from the tech side of the game, but the influence is there.

In q3.gif, you will see a couple torches at the end of the hall. Those are old DOOM torches, just holding a spot for the new ones, so don't worry - we're not shabbing out some old graphics on ya. The same goes for the numbers at the bottom of every screen shot, which are DOOM's status bar number graphics.

Q3.jpg

Neat, you can see the Doom sprites in the early beta version.

Also, this one is interesting as well:

Q6.jpg

We don't have any Alias models working in the game at this point, but we're >this< close to getting them fully implemented with movement, proper light sourcing and animation. Screen q6.gif has our dragon hovering above a bridge above a moat.

You can see a dragon creature which may have been an old unused enemy idea?

I can agree with that, but I still think Quake had a big effect on the gaming landscape over the last 20 years. Mostly from the tech side of the game, but the influence is there.

Q3.jpg

Neat, you can see the Doom sprites in the early beta version.

Also, this one is interesting as well:

Q6.jpg

IIRC it was supposed to be a lot heavier on traditional fantasy to start with.

A dragon eventually made it into Mission Pack 2

lazygecko

Q6.jpg

The level geometry seems slightly more advanced than what ended up in the final game as well. That arc seems to have actual modeled portruding bricks as opposed to just being a flat baked texture.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the Dragon boss in Mission Pack 2. But then again, I never really played Mission Pack 2 much back then. But yeah, the game was originally conceived to be a medieval FPS with melee weapons. But overtime things changed to it being another twitch shooter with a cyber- medieval theme with HP Lovecraft inspired monsters.

The level geometry seems slightly more advanced than what ended up in the final game as well. That arc seems to have actual modeled portruding bricks as opposed to just being a flat baked texture.

Oh yeah, maybe they were showing off what a full polygon engine could do? Because that type of geometry wasn't possible in the Doom engine. Everything from the bridge to the extruding bricks weren't possible.

HB Quake. First game i bought for my Pentium 2 PC was Quake, in 1998 i think. First multiplayer game i ever played too, back in 1997 we got it running over a LAN in my school. Such a great game. Great soundtrack, great graphics, great gameplay. Groundbreaking game.

Fun fact: The Quake manual says that the grunt enemies are wired to get sexual pleasure every time they kill

Steejee

Oh geesh watching some of these videos is instant flashback. I could probably do the first few maps in my sleep.

I played the crap out of Quake and its many mods, though I never really played any MP quake due to having a pretty crappy dial up modem.

Yeah, by the time the internet actually hit the Netherlands in a somewhat usable (affordable) form, we were already at Quake 3. I did play some Quake 1 at a couple of lan parties, but that felt like playing against gods because my opponents were so much better at it. So while I respect the hell out of Quake for its multiplayer related innovations, I mostly like it personally for the weird singleplayer campaign.

vakarian32

I regret not getting into Quake 3 back in the day, I was a UT99 guy back then though. I played just about every one of the games that spawned from the Q3 engine however, especially Jedi Knight and MOH:AA.

I regret not getting into Quake 3 back in the day, I was a UT99 guy back then though. I played just about every one of the games that spawned from the Q3 engine however, especially Jedi Knight and MOH:AA.

I always kept UT and Q3 on my hard drive, but Quake 3 RA3 is where I spent most of my time.

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
- the mods whose names I can't remember but the addition of the "runes", quake 2 ctf with a grappling hook (one version had a seperate grappling hook as a weapon, the other shot out a grappling "beam")
Sounds like a Q2 mod I played to death, made by a guy called Glitter. Epic times.

OneUh8

Deep deep love for this franchise. I can't think about how many hours I have spent with this franchise and all it's mods. Super excited for Quake Champions!

Menome

I first completed Quake on a 486 running at 66mhz and 16MB of RAM. It ran like shit at about 2fps but I didn't care.

Only regret was there being bosses just for Chapters 1 & 4. Would have liked some more puzzle-fights like those to bookend the other two chapters.

Gusy

I loved Quake on my Pentium 133

Man the 133 was a beast. One of the best designs by Intel of that era.

By the way, does anybody else also think that the "exploding gibs" animation in Quake still is the most satisfying ever made? Seeing the chunks of meat leaving a blood trail in the air never gets old.

Kaji AF16

It pushed my then new (but already obsolete) 486 DX4-100, with 8 MB of RAM, to its limits. I remember its social and media impact: almost every magazine was presenting it as "the most important game in history".

I played Quake, Duke Nukem and Diablo almost simultaneously and, just coming from a NES and a Mega Drive, almost couldn´t believe the gap between my old games and that new generation.

In my opinion, the atmosphere of the original Quake was never surpassed by its sequels (even if I loved Quake 3 Arena and played it semi-competitively). Shooting rockets just to see how they affected the lightning as they flew through obscure castles was technologically and aesthetically impressive.

RSP

Man the 133 was a beast. One of the best designs by Intel of that era.

By the way, does anybody else also think that the "exploding gibs" animation in Quake still is the most satisfying ever made? Seeing the chunks of meat leaving a blood trail in the air never gets old.

Jup, it was a big step up from my 386. I was basically a console exclusive gamer up to that point, but P133 changed that :p

The one after was a P2 350 + Voodoo 2 12MB. I should still have that thing around somewhere ...

I loved it at the time mostly because of what it added to the FPS but I never got the love for this art style. It was the original all dark brown game.

The Boat

One of the first, if not the first game I played on my first PC. First game I played online too! I also remember not using the mouse to aim for a loong time.

Draft

3D graphics.
Technical marvel.
First person shooter.
Dark and gritty.
Iconic advertisting.
Engaging users through mods, add ons, and community.
Engine licensing.
Developer hero worship.
Sold outside of stores (I bought my copy over the phone. Gave the lady a credit card number, she gave me a key, and the demo became the full game!)

20 years ago today the modern game industry was born. We are just wrapping up the Quake era. I don't know what the next era will be defined by, maybe Minecraft, maybe Clash of Clans, but the last two decades have belonged to QUAKE.

A seminal release in the history of gaming. Bravo, id.

pr0cs

Used to play team death match and ctf with coworkers after work. We scanned in all the other employees faces and soundbytes that we didn't like and out them in the game as bots.. so much fun and my first real taste of how multiplayer was going to change the world

I loved Quake on my Pentium 133.

Q3 was my shit tho, could play CTF all night long.

I remember it running like SHIT on my 486 DX4-100 with Cirrus Logic VESA Local Bus VGA and 8MB RAM as well.. 320x200 software mode on a 14" monitor at I guess around 20fps? Anyway, Quake was THE reason I ended up upgrading to a Pentium 120 (or was it a 133? I can't remember..) an S3 TRIO PCI VGA and 16MB RAM.

Eventually I moved on to a a Pentium II-333 with 32MB RAM and a Voodoo 2, and ran glquake for the first time.

EYES. POPPED. OUT.

Pimpbaa

The game made me wished Trent Reznor worked on more games. Also it sucks that the current digital releases of Quake do not have the soundtrack.

lazygecko

I remember it running like SHIT on my 486 DX4-100 with 8MB RAM as well.. 320x200 software mode on a 14" monitor at I guess around 20fps? Anyway, Quake was THE reason I ended up upgrading to a Pentium 120 (or was it a 133? I can't remember..) and 16MB RAM.

Eventually I moved on to a a Pentium II-333 with 32MB RAM and a Voodoo 2, and ran glquake for the first time.

EYES. POPPED. OUT.

I remember launching glquake out of curiosity with nothing but my shitty Matrox 2D card. The framerate was literally below 1FPS and even trying to quit the game was a challenge.

Linkark07

Banned
Quake 1, I only played it single player since we didn't have Internet and I was the only kid with a PC in the entire building.

Quake 2 is another story though. Wouldn't mind paying 25 cents each recess in school just for do some crazy LAN parties. Good memories.

Shame Quake 3 wasn't installed on those PCs.

Draft

http://www.dosgamers.com/dos/dos-games/quake

Great way to run Quake on Windows 7/8/10.

Has a link to download the soundtrack so that it plays in game. Is that piracy? I don't think so. The soundtrack isn't in the digital releases because it was literally tracks on the CD. Did id/Trent Reznor have a falling out that means the soundtrack can't be sold with the game? Insane if true.

IMO not piracy.

Interfectum

Crazy.... I remember tweaking and installing that 3DFX patch for the game.

Wasn't Quake the game where you could troll your team by going 'chameleon?' Meaning you can hotkey a color change which puts you on another team instantly. Shit was funny.

http://www.dosgamers.com/dos/dos-games/quake

Great way to run Quake on Windows 7/8/10.

Has a link to download the soundtrack so that it plays in game. Is that piracy? I don't think so. The soundtrack isn't in the digital releases because it was literally tracks on the CD. Did id/Trent Reznor have a falling out that means the soundtrack can't be sold with the game? Insane if true.

IMO not piracy.

I'll definitely be trying the DarkPlaces engine when I get home!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

If I remember right, it was supposed to be based on Carmack (and by proxy, Romero?)'s Dungeons and Dragon's campaign. Something they scrapped later (though you can still see the influence of that/fantasy) to do what we got.

Though Carmack did go back to that with that mobile/DS Rogue first-person-dungeon-crawler-game-name-escapes-me.

Quake = 486 am cry

Wonderful times

and with a 14.4 modem.

I remember it running like SHIT on my 486 DX4-100 with Cirrus Logic VESA Local Bus VGA and 8MB RAM as well.. 320x200 software mode on a 14" monitor at I guess around 20fps? Anyway, Quake was THE reason I ended up upgrading to a Pentium 120 (or was it a 133? I can't remember..) an S3 TRIO PCI VGA and 16MB RAM.

EYES. POPPED. OUT.

I remember playing Quake on my family's 486 and yeah...it was a mess. I played through the whole shareware ep at around 10fps, and even though I ended up buying quake, I never did *really* play the other eps. I ended up being more of a Duke3d guy because it ran a fair bit better on my system. I really want to get through all of Q1 though.

The moment I'll always remember was connecting into a game of Quake...and I don't remember the mod, all I remember is there was a grappling hook involved. I used the grappling hook and ran around and died a lot because I couldn't see shit on my crap connection on my crap computer, so after a little while I just resorted to chatting with the people who were playing. They were amazed that Quake even *ran* on my computer, much less that I could get online.

Just yesterday I finished Quake 1 with the Dark Places engine+Ultima mod. It really helps the 15fps animations by making them run at 60fps. Some parts really stressed my aging PC, but I could play it fine for the most part.

And it was my first time playing it with the original soundtrack... It really makes the game a lot more creepier.

https://youtu.be/gLCHrTRjvdQ

Really really really for reals yo!

Wait, isn't the 'real'/original whatever soundtrack the Trent Reznor soundtrack on the original CD?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVOHTGYoM6E

shandy706

Loved Quake. We use to have LAN parties at a friends house in the late 90s and even played it in our Graphics Art class in High School after we finished our work. We'd have a freezer full of Vodka and beer...ummm...ignore that part...and have a blast at the LANs!

I did the whole lugging my PC, Mouse, keyboard, and massive 50lb Monitor around thing...haha.

It pushed my then new (but already obsolete) 486 DX4-100, with 8 MB of RAM, to its limits. I remember its social and media impact: almost every magazine was presenting it as "the most important game in history".

I played Quake, Duke Nukem and Diablo almost simultaneously and, just coming from a NES and a Mega Drive, almost couldn´t believe the gap between my old games and that new generation.

In my opinion, the atmosphere of the original Quake was never surpassed by its sequels (even if I loved Quake 3 Arena and played it semi-competitively). Shooting rockets just to see how they affected the lightning as they flew through obscure castles was technologically and aesthetically impressive.

Man, 1996 was a good year to be playing PC games.

Kaji AF16

3D graphics.
Technical marvel.
First person shooter.
Dark and gritty.
Iconic advertising.
Engaging users through mods, add ons, and community.
Engine licensing.
Developer hero worship.
Sold outside of stores (I bought my copy over the phone. Gave the lady a credit card number, she gave me a key, and the demo became the full game!)

20 years ago today the modern game industry was born. We are just wrapping up the Quake era. I don't know what the next era will be defined by, maybe Minecraft, maybe Clash of Clans, but the last two decades have belonged to QUAKE.

A seminal release in the history of gaming. Bravo, id.

I agree with everything you mention. Regarding its advertising, I clearly remember this one:

quake.jpg

(In Spanish)
"Quake is forever".
"The most important PC game that has ever existed".

And yes, Quake 1 was an absolute revelation to me and my friends back in the day.

We worshipped the Doom games and Quake 1 was the logical next plateau in every conceivable way. The level design was brutal and fantastic and played on every strength Doom had. The sound and music design, fuck...I mean listen to it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVOHTGYoM6E

This was absolutely mindblowing to me then. Quake 1 in general amped up the Horror aspects of Doom to claustrophobic insanity. Quake 1, PSX Doom and Doom 64 all made it abundantly clear to me that it was part of id's intent all along.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Oh, man. I remember those ads in Gamepro. :lol

Such a shame engine licensing from iD is gone. Same with mods for all PC games.

wow, nice. happy bday quake. best game ever made.

played through the first episode just last week. what a great single player campaign this game has, it really feels kind of underappreciated at this point, you always hear people in the games media when they talk about quake. it's always multiplayer only and the single player campaign is downplayed to the extreme. been recently annoyed by this since we got a lot of it at e3 with the announcement of quake champions. you're wrong media morons, single player is fucken sublime.

pretty nice how both mission packs had some elements from the original quake ideas. the quake thor hammer was in mission pack 1, kind of, maybe it was originally supposed to be more like daikatana blade upgradable or having several power modes you upgrade to over the course of the game. I forget, still nice.

shambler2ts93.png

:salute quake :salute
love you shambler, love you software rendering

Dahaka

happy birthday best themed Quake ever.

timedemo demo1

Anyone remember the Special Forces Mod with Bots? That was really good.

Top Bottom