• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break |OT| We'll Be Right Back After This Commercial Break

Filben

Hey guys, after the PC version runs so poorly even on my GTX 770 and i5 4960 I've decided to finally buy a XOne with the game. Pretty smooth experience (expect for much longer loading times than on PC) and I can even start right where I left on my PC.

But here's a question since I think I've seen some of these: how do melee takedown an enemy? I've read that I have to press B around an enemy but all Jack does is putting up his shield and tossing away the guy by that.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Hey guys, after the PC version runs so poorly even on my GTX 770 and i5 4960 I've decided to finally buy a XOne with the game. Pretty smooth experience (expect for much longer loading times than on PC) and I can even start right where I left on my PC.

But here's a question since I think I've seen some of these: how do melee takedown an enemy? I've read that I have to press B around an enemy but all Jack does is putting up his shield and tossing away the guy by that.

You need to be using the ability Time Rush and then, while time rushing to an enemy, you need to press B in front of him to trigger a melee takedown.

Edit: Look at the last 1/3 section in this clip: http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/TheKeyPit/video/16561016

When are the episodes supposed to play? I reached a junction point and it said to watch the next episode... But I haven't seen any episodes yet...

Edit: nevermind

I just finished my Hard run last night and now I'm at 1000/1000. QB is such a fun game but I wish there were a horde mode or something. I really enjoy the combat.

asocirev

Just finished the game, it was really well done and I had a lot of fun with it. It just seemed too short and left me wanting to play more. I've been suffering open world fatigue lately so I'm glad it wasn't a marathon of a game, I just wanted to feel badass for another chapter! The last fight on hard was a bitch. I had to come back on a different night and beat it.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Just finished the game, it was really well done and I had a lot of fun with it. It just seemed too short and left me wanting to play more. I've been suffering open world fatigue lately so I'm glad it wasn't a marathon of a game, I just wanted to feel badass for another chapter! The last fight on hard was a bitch. I had to come back on a different night and beat it.

Now onto your second playthrough with different choices. (Use timeline) ;)

16BitNova

Just finished this game and I freaking loved it. Really hope we get a sequel! Is there a spoiler thread somewhere? I tried searching but even this thread was 3 pages in when I searched Quantum Break lol.

That final boss was a bitch on hard! Lol

So as for the story...
What's up with the ending? Martin is still alive?! What?? Is he a shifter that somehow found a way to become stable in the real time world? That would be a whole new mechanic story wise! That's awesome. What were those eye drops Hatch used for? Also, I thought it was Dr. Kim killing all those guys at the end at Monarch, but some are saying that was Hatch? So much to dive into!! So time can be altered? I fucking hope so, I want to go save my girl Wilder in QB 2!!

Lima

One of the things I really like about Uncharted 4 is the Encounter Select. You can replay any of the encounters easily without doing the story bits again.

This is exactly what Quantum Break needs. Remedy pls

Alx

Just finished this game and I freaking loved it. Really hope we get a sequel! Is there a spoiler thread somewhere?

yup, here it is :
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1204048

So as for the story...
What's up with the ending? Martin is still alive?! What?? Is he a shifter that somehow found a way to become stable in the real time world? That would be a whole new mechanic story wise! That's awesome. What were those eye drops Hatch used for? Also, I thought it was Dr. Kim killing all those guys at the end at Monarch, but some are saying that was Hatch? So much to dive into!! So time can be altered? I fucking hope so, I want to go save my girl Wilder in QB 2!!

It's detailed in the spoiler thread, but yep
Martin Hatch is a shifter, as explained in a memo that he left for the main character near Paul's office. His chronon-infused eyedrops are probably an advanced version of Paul's medication, that allow him to "stabilize" in real time flows.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Finished this game and for the most part I loved it, but my god did that last boss fight suck.

Cheap and infuriating. Took longer on that fight than it did the entire game it seemed like.

http://www.quantumbreakshop.com/store/
Don't like it enough to get a shirt. But

picked up that poster for less than $5.
https://twitter.com/remedygames/status/732460451380912129
QB_pax_poster_web_1024x1024.jpg

Montresor

Does anyone want the following codes?

Alan Wake 1 + DLC
Alan Wake American Nightmare

I got them from pre-ordering Quantum Break but I already owned both of them. Please only ask for the codes if you want to play the games (i.e. don't be a reseller).

Does anyone want the following codes?

Alan Wake 1 + DLC
Alan Wake American Nightmare

I got them from pre-ordering Quantum Break but I already owned both of them. Please only ask for the codes if you want to play the games (i.e. don't be a reseller).
I'll take Alan wake...

If it's for PC...
Thank you.

Grisby

I just finished my Hard run last night and now I'm at 1000/1000. QB is such a fun game but I wish there were a horde mode or something. I really enjoy the combat.
Yeah, I keep thinking about it. Shame that they didn't do something similar to American Nightmare.

Probably were working down to the line to get the main game finished though.

Montresor

You should enjoy it a lot more the second run-through. Hard mode was definitely a bump up in difficulty, but with upgraded time powers it's a blast.

I'm very glad I did two playthroughs (first on normal then played again on hard).

Three things I enjoyed very much on the second playthrough (thanks to making different choices): a) Cutscenes playing out slightly differently, b) Many collectibles having completely different content, and c) the television show changing radically (especially the final episode).

MCD

Done with Uncharted 4. Wanted to play this today but was greeted with an error 487 Failed IO or whatever.

Deleted local saves. Deleted and restored Profile. Didn't work. Now redownloading the game. If all else fails I guess I will try my luck with the PC version.

Certinty

Finally got around to finishing this on hard. Took around 11 hours with most collectibles.

All I can say is what a game. Although the gunplay itself isn't great the powers make it one of the best shooters I've played in recent years. Didn't think much of the story at first but it really took off in the last 2 or so chapters.

I know a lot of people have hated on the final boss fight on hard before but in all honesty I didn't think it was that bad. It basically just promotes running around using your powers more than anything else.

Kalentan

Managed to get all the achivements for this on XB1. Was my first game honestly in a while I did. Really quick too. Only took me roughly 10 hours of play.

Question, how different is the game if I choose all the other options at the junction points?

Managed to get all the achivements for this on XB1. Was my first game honestly in a while I did. Really quick too. Only took me roughly 10 hours of play.

Question, how different is the game if I choose all the other options at the junction points?

The game it self? Not much. The tv show? By quite a bit.

Late to the party, but I can't go without giving this some praise. I've been enjoying the hell out of it. While there is a place for throwback games like Wolfenstein and Doom, it's really cool to play something that feels genuinely sophisticated and cutting edge. Honestly, I find it a lot more exciting.

The sci-fi story is well told, with an interesting angle on time travel, and the performances are mostly great. And there's so much detail poured into all the extra narrative elements, it really adds a lot to the story to hunt all that stuff down. The visuals and the time effects are stunning, and the combat is just fun, giving you all those powers with separate cooldowns and then letting you mix and match as you zip across the battlefield, mowing guys down. I really love all the time stuff outside of combat too - when you're walking through frozen time or rewinding stuff. Some of it is just awe-inspiring.

I would have dropped the TV show and made a longer game, but the show itself is surprisingly well shot and well acted for the most part and the action scenes are done well. It's cool to see the in-game characters in their real life incarnations. It's an interesting experiment.

All in all, I think this is a superb game from Remedy, and it sucks that it kind of got buried under exclusivity and a troublesome PC version. It's a shame we probably won't ever see a sequel. I can only hope Remedy get to keep making games.

MCD

I am enjoying the TV show more than the game. Remedy got the gameplay shooting mechanics real tight here but at least from where I stopped (chapter 3) game is just OK. I mean it's no Alan Wake.

MCD

The mix and match between time powers is phenomenal though. Remedy should go indie. Create somwthing just pure shooter. Fun factor extreeeeme.

I just finished this and got all the achievements. Good game, just wish there was less collectables and so many story pieces attached to the long documents scattered throughout.

PaulLFC

Rented this on XB1 and I really like what I've played so far, but I can't put up with the ridiculous amount of film grain - I see there's an option to remove it on PC but it's bizarre that there's no similar option on XB1.

Apparently it's due to "artistic choice", but that shouldn't come at the expense of user enjoyment if it's as simple as having it default to "on" and providing an option to turn it off. Especially if said option exists on PC in which case the "artistic choice" argument falls down.

Will wait for a discount on PC I guess. It's £45 on the store here which is steep considering how much the XB1 version can be bought for.

Pilgrimzero

Just beat it. Not sure what the hype was all about. Found it fairly average. Was expecting something the caliber of Wake or Payne.

jamsy

I'm stuck on this piece of shit last boss fight. The second wave is complete garbage.

I don't usually get this pissed off but these one hit kills are just utter shit. I really liked this game up until this, but this is pretty much souring the entire experience.

jond76

Banned
I'm stuck on this piece of shit last boss fight. The second wave is complete garbage.

I don't usually get this pissed off but these one hit kills are just utter shit. I really liked this game up until this, but this is pretty much souring the entire experience.

The last fight? I hated it. I got so irritated with it. Just know that its only 2 waves. So you're half way there.

Max_Po

Banned
The last fight? I hated it. I got so irritated with it. Just know that its only 2 waves. So you're half way there.

Same, I am stuck too.

I started and played through on HARD without reading or checking any tips sections and I really hate how nothing is explained about the last boss's attacks.

Over all I think this is a pretty generic game and extremely disappointing "Remedy" game so far.

TripOpt55

Just started this tonight. Having a good time so far. The story has been pretty neat. Love some of these actors which helps. I wasn't sure how I'd like the TV show being integrated in, but I just made sure I was in the mood to watch that segment before it popped up. I am looking for different things when I play a game vs. when I watch a show (interactive vs. passive) so I will just be prepared for each segment. The way things are affected (even if small) by your decisions/collecting things is cool too.

On the gameplay side, the combat has been good fun. I'm a big fan of third-person shooters and the time mechanics give things a nice twist. Looking forward to seeing what other powers/upgrades I get.

Also the segments I have seen where you are walking around with time stopped just look cool. Excited to play more tomorrow!

jond76

Banned
Same, I am stuck too.

I started and played through on HARD without reading or checking any tips sections and I really hate how nothing is explained about the last boss's attacks.

Over all I think this is a pretty generic game and extremely disappointing "Remedy" game so far.

Don't get me wrong, I love the game overall, but that last fight is rage inducing.

Fuchsdh

Don't get me wrong, I love the game overall, but that last fight is rage inducing.

I didn't find it that hard, but I think I understand the frustration that at the very end of the game you face an enemy that is completely different from everything else you've fought, and you sort of have to figure out the rules as you go (combined with a bad load zone before the cutscene.)

ElRenoRaven

I didn't find it that hard, but I think I understand the frustration that at the very end of the game you face an enemy that is completely different from everything else you've fought, and you sort of have to figure out the rules as you go (combined with a bad load zone before the cutscene.)

Yea I think that's why it sucks. You have the cutscene every time before. Then you have no explanation of what to do. It gets frustrating as all hell.

Falchion

I've been playing this for a few days and I absolutely love it so far but I have a question about the intel items. Everywhere I go in the game I'm always looking around for emails, posters, etc, but often I don't want to waste my game time reading through this huge email chain about something random.

Is there anywhere online that has all the collectibles in a place where you can read through all of that? I'd love to get the additional context for characters and events without having to read emails on my TV for an hour.

Alx

Yea I think that's why it sucks. You have the cutscene every time before. Then you have no explanation of what to do. It gets frustrating as all hell.

Well the worst thing is that it's just not fun. On top of the frustration of hearing the same intro again and again, it's mostly based on running away from the boss attacks. Nothing really exciting or spectacular happens, it's just "run for your life and wait for a window of opportunity to shoot the bad guy".

TripOpt55

Totally hooked on this game. Just made it to Act 5 and can't wait to see how this thing finishes. Loving the story so far and the TV stuff works way better than I thought it would.

KyleCross

The free copy of Alan Wake was a packed in voucher, right? I can't find an answer online and I bought the game used and don't have it so I'm assuming it was a voucher.

TripOpt55

I finished this yesterday and really enjoyed it overall. The whole narrative was great and I was surprised how well all the pieces came together. Both the TV show and making choices for the antagonist seemed like they could go wrong but I ended up liking this whole bold experiment. They were really consistent with the time travel throughout and everything seemed to work (which is rare for this sort of fiction I find). Great core cast though some of the secondary characters that were focused on more in the TV show couldn't really match up with people like Lance Reddick.

Combat was fun with all the time powers. I loved dashing around to melee dudes and using the time stop power to load up bullets to go into someone. I do wish there was more combat, but what is here is good.

The only part I didn't really enjoy was the end. Both the ending and the final boss left something to be desired.
The final boss kind of hit a lot of my final boss pet peeves. Make me replay a little part and cutscene before each time I have to fight the boss. Just make me fight minions, especially disappointing given how cool a one on one fight with a Serene could have been. As for the ending, I didn't dislike it, but I wasn't into how much it left open especially for a game like this where the sequel isn't a sure thing.

Had a great time with this. Might go back and replay some stuff to see how different decisions would change things. Seems like there might be some significant differences which is cool. Looking forward to whatever Remedy does next as well. Great dev.

RaginRoss

Finished this today on Hard after renting it. Really enjoyed it.

Took a little bit to get going, both the story and the gameplay but once you had all the time powers upgraded a little things get really good.

Only real criticisms would be some slightly awkward platforming / time freeze puzzle moments that could have done with being just a bit smoother, and that final boss fight - what were they thinking there?

Would definitely recommend playing through it if you see it cheap somewhere or can borrow/rent.

Started playing and finished this all this week.

I don't know why I let all the Win 10 haters and general malaise around this game's release dissuade me from playing it, I love it.

The narrative is interesting, production values are fantastic and the combat is visceral. Remedy really is one of the best studios in the biz right now and their experiment with weaving the show into the game works well in my opinion.

If I could give first timers a tip, don't play this like a cover shooter. Use your powers and get up in people's faces. The combat is much more entertaining and varied when you're not hiding behind a desk.

I haven't played all the big releases for this year yet but this was a fantastic experience from start to finish that really stands out from the pack in my eyes. Don't hesitate to give it a go.

Fuchsdh

Thanks to the code that came with my copy I've been going back and playing Alan Wake for the first time. I think I understand why people who were fans of that game might not have clicked with Quantum Break, but to me while it's hard to compare them directly Quantum Break's style gels with my gaming interests more.

Top Bottom