• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break |OT| We'll Be Right Back After This Commercial Break

dt2

Banned
Just started replaying Alan Wake and gosh this game still looks good. I imagine (if they make one) Alan Wake 2 with their new Northlight Engine would look quite amazing!

TheKeyPit

Banned
I didn't know that Aidan Gillen plays video games:
https://www.redbulletin.com/us/us/lifestyle/gamer-of-thrones-aiden-gillian?linkId=23788844

What else do you like about games?

Often when I play video games, I don’t always want to just shoot at people. I like getting on my horse in Red Dead Redemption, and I just ride around and look over a canyon. Or I like buzzing around on a BMX bike in Grand Theft Auto V. I don’t always want to be carjacking or hitting people with baseball bats.

Remedy got the right guys on the job with Shawn and Aidan.

Lima

Yo I liked just riding around on my horse in RDR too.

post-57918-Denzel-Washington-my-man-gif-I-1KVs.gif

Really wish there was a way to go back and observe all the Intel items outside of the game IE: browse on my phone when waiting in line or something

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Finally picked this up after beating Dark Souls 3. Good God is this game gorgeous. I'm right at the start and I'm debating downloading the acting parts.

The cutscenes themselves are gorgeous from the
starting interview
to watching the optional
presentation by Paul.

I think I may go through a Normal play through without the acting cutscenes and the download them and play the game on Hard.

Finally picked this up after beating Dark Souls 3. Good God is this game gorgeous. I'm right at the start and I'm debating downloading the acting parts.

The cutscenes themselves are gorgeous from the
starting interview
to watching the optional
presentation by Paul.

I think I may go through a Normal play through without the acting cutscenes and the download them and play the game on Hard.

You can stream the TV episodes if you haven't downloaded them.

Alx

There is a lot of uncanny valley in the game, made even more obvious with the live TV parts, but I thought Paul's model was really impressive. Very life-like and convincing.

dt2

Banned
Looks like both Xbox One and PC are getting a patch (hopefully) by the end of the week. I only played it on Xbox One and performance seemed pretty solid to me so I wonder what all they changed/fixed.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/quantum-break-xbox-one-pc-update-planned-for-relea/1100-6439156/
Quantum Break developer Remedy Entertainment plans to launch an update for its time-bending action game by the end of this week (May 1), according to Twitter updates from Thomas Puha, the studio's head of PR.

"Both the Xbox One and [Windows 10] Quantum Break title updates are in the certification process right now," he said. "The title update's are still in testing and have been since last week, still some bugs to fix."

As for what the update will include, Puha said he has the details but since "content is still changing depending on what passes certification" he chose not to reveal them.

lcap

My Quantum Break: Zero State novel has just arrived. For those who read it, how's it? Does it add a lot to the game?

TheKeyPit

Banned
My Quantum Break: Zero State novel has just arrived. For those who read it, how's it? Does it add a lot to the game?

I really liked it and, yes, it adds a bit to the game with explaining some stuff here and there that you won't find in the game. But without spoilering your reading experience I can't say more ;)

Montresor

Finished off the 1000/1000. The final boss battle is incredibly easy once you know what you're doing. Beat it on hard on my first try. But on my first playthrough on normal I wanted to pull my hair out because the battle introduced new mechanics that weren't present in any of the previous chapters - the result is you're frequently killed without knowing why you died. More importantly, the boss could've used a much better checkpoint - it's aggravating having to walk a few steps to trigger a cutscene and then watch the cutscene every time.

Anyhow, Xbox shows I've put in about 55 hours into the game. I'd estimate it's closer to 40 hours in actual playtime with the game. I left the game running idle quite a bit.

I haven't changed my opinion - this is the best game I've played this gen. Loved the game and I can't wait for Remedy's next title.

There are some complaints I have though, some very small, some very big:

1) Rewind and fast forward is almost completely broken with the Quantum Break episodes. I've downloaded the 75gig episode pack and yet I consistently saw the following behaviour: pushing fast forward or rewind not immediately showing any result, sometimes taking 10-20 seconds before the fast forward or rewind manifests on screen. And sometimes when you fast forward or rewind, the entire screen is filled with graphical artifacts/glitches. It's hard to describe. See this picture for an example. When this happens in Quantum Break, there's no green, but the entire screen just looks jumbled....

2) If you play Quantum Break, pause, then load some other app (Youtube/Netflix), when you return to Quantum Break, the audio is almost always muted. So annoying. I have to play around with audio settings (turning things on/off in both Xbox's audio settings and QB's audio settings) before I can start hearing audio again. =/

3) And then other complains I've made before, like a poor final battle, missing subtitles for certain collectibles (like radio stations and in-game TVs), and long/frequent load times.

Just starting my second play through and didn't even realise
martin hatch is right there in the beginning when you get out of the taxi

Justinh

Did you catch
him disappear
?
Jack: "
Huh, where did that guy go?
"

neat. I didn't catch that.
I started this game over on Saturday (I dicked around with the PC version very briefly and like a dummy, synced my save) and beat it on HardSunday night Monday morning. That last boss gave me a headache, as I [final boss spoiler]:
wasn't able to aim fast enough to kill the adds before he spirit bombed me (he'd catch me while aiming). I died like 12 times I think. The next morning I turned auto-aim to normal (I had it completely off) and first tried him (first try after the 12 previous first tries, I mean.)

I really liked this game. Like... a lot. I'm going to go through another run this weekend, probably on normal this time to do the other choices and collect stuff [choices/junctions spoilers:]
I did Hardline (I wanted my bad guy to be a bad guy), Personal (like... as a villain I imagine he'd be like "They need to understand why I'm right!"), trust Hatch (et tu, Martin?), and I think Control was the last one because it seemed like those were things that he'd do if he were like a... like a 90s movie villian to me.

lcap

I really liked it and, yes, it adds a bit to the game with explaining some stuff here and there that you won't find in the game. But without spoilering your reading experience I can't say more ;)

Hehe, thanks, I'll just read it on my morning commutes starting tomorrow.

Rocket786

Decided to get this game on a whim and I'm glad I did!

I'm on Act 3 and it's a really interesting take on the 3rd person shooter. The gunplay is fun, and the powers make the overall gameplay refreshing. I'm really enjoying it. The effects are some of the best I've seen in any game. They really sell the time fracture through visuals amazingly. Just fantastic.

The story is excellent so far. The production values of the TV show are a lot better than I expected, and I'm liking the choices the game makes you take. You seem to see the effects of those choices throughout the game and the TV show. I don't know if you come to the same conclusion by the end of the game, but I like that the choices you make actually matter so far.

Can't wait to play more tonight!

Did you catch
him disappear
?
Jack: "
Huh, where did that guy go?
"

Didn't notice that , but I'll be sure to look out for other little things . I thought I was pretty thorough the first run through but I guess not .

also now I know the characters it's interesting to spot burke etc in the game , I initially just brushed him off as a security guard .

I'm just about finished with my first playthrough (Act 5 now), but quick question to all those who have gotten 100%. For my second playthrough, will choosing the different options in the junction sections significantly affect the story/ending/collectible info/TV episodes? Will I be missing out on new content if I skipped any cutscenes or TV episodes the second time through?

Fuchsdh

I'm just about finished with my first playthrough (Act 5 now), but quick question to all those who have gotten 100%. For my second playthrough, will choosing the different options in the junction sections significantly affect the story/ending/collectible info/TV episodes? Will I be missing out on new content if I skipped any cutscenes or TV episodes the second time through?

You'll miss a few larger things and a lot of minor details jumping past the new cutscenes. Plus the loading times are so long you're usually better off just watching the videos :)

Make sure you get all the collectibles first though, since replaying different junctions changes the number of collectibles. Took me less than an hour to run through and grab the last stuff I missed, and then I restarted with different choices on hard.

Have to say I was pleasantly surprised by how the junction choices played things out differently. Even if the actual events stayed fairly close to each other, the shading they performed on the characters was really nice. I also like that I felt like I made the "right" choices my first go-around, but the "bad" ones weren't really what they appeared to be—
For instance surrendering to your paranoia as Paul is pretty horrific, but Charlie shows some spine and that he actually might be worth Fiona's attention, and Emily gets a bit more closure with coming to terms with her husband's actions. Also Amaral's death was legitimately shocking.

You'll miss a few larger things and a lot of minor details jumping past the new cutscenes. Plus the loading times are so long you're usually better off just watching the videos :)

Make sure you get all the collectibles first though, since replaying different junctions changes the number of collectibles. Took me less than an hour to run through and grab the last stuff I missed, and then I restarted with different choices on hard.

Ah gotcha. What about things like the radio shows? For example, would those change when choosing hardline over PR in the first junction?

Fuchsdh

Ah gotcha. What about things like the radio shows? For example, would those change when choosing hardline over PR in the first junction?

Yep. They're actually seem like one of the parts that changes the most, although they were an element I didn't really listen to for that long on my first play through (not having subtitles for the videos and radios is an unfortunate downside of the game's implementation of subtitles.)

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I'm getting towards the end of Act 2 and I'm having a blast so far. Remedy did a great job with the natural feel to the cover system and animations with how Joyce finds cover from various objects.

The shooting and gunplay is on point but holy shit is it fun combining various time abilities with the run, cover and shoot gameplay.

Storyline and characters are very interesting but I skipped the first episode. I don't have time right now to watch 40 minute episodes but I am exploring the environments and collecting data for more backstory. I'll watch them when I eventually play the game on hard mode.

Graphically this is one of the most impressive games I've ever played and I guess would be the first Gen 8 game I've played that feels like it's finally pushing the hardware.

Halo 5, Sunset Overdrive, Dark Souls 3...all beautiful games graphically but none felt like that jump from the PS2 era to first playing Gears of War or Oblivion. The
flashback scene when you're at Will's lab in Act 2 and the movement of time
had me just walking around that environment in awe.

Only gripe I have, and I hope I don't see a lot of it coming up, is the "platforming" parts of some areas. The animations are weird and I don't really like the way Jack controls. Hopefully it improves though or its completely taken out.

Granjinha

So, help me out.

I'm playing (Act 5) and suddenly the controller stops working. I kinda don't want to play with KB/M, and the game just doesn't recognize the controller anymore (Xbox One Controller here)

I tested it with other games and it's fine. Did this happen to anyone else?

K' Dash

A little help here.

Does anyone know why Jack has fucking eyepatch? I bought the code from a Gaffer, downloaded from MS store and was playing without issues, now in Act 3 Jack has an eyepatch.

Do these fuckers think I pirated this shit? is it actually possible, I don't really know???

sertopico

^ It is a bug from the Store, try to play online if you are playing offline.
Really? Where are some of the other spots?

I just found another one
right after you unfreeze Will in the elevator, before getting in the main hall: if you look up Hatch is watching from a glass windowed balcony.
There should be other spots as well, as I read somewhere.

Anyway, the patch is out. Just for XBone though.

Release notes:
Xbox One Title Update 2

Act Fixes/Updates
Act 1 Part 1: Fixed a rare instance of taxi being missing from the intro cinematic
Act 1 Part 2: Fixed assets disappearing if players backtrack
Act 1 Part 2: Fixed an issue where players could not kill the guard in the parking lot
Act 1 Part 3: Fixed backtracking issues where some parts could unload
Act 1: Fixed overlapping audio in opening cinematic
Act 2 Part 1: Fixed Nick pathing issues
Act 2 Part 1: You can no longer get underneath the puzzle at the security station
Act 2 Part 2: First Chronon source renders properly
Act 2 Part 3: Added collision on time machine corridor to prevent player’s accidentally falling to their death
Act 2 Part 3: Fixed backtracking issues where some parts could unload
Act 2 Part 3: Fixed rare NPC issues where Amy or Nick could be killed or block the door
Junction 3: Fixed Hatch being hidden if the user skips a future vision too quickly
Junction 4: Fixed flickering environment outside office building
Act 5: Fixed last subtitle going by too quickly to read
Act 5: Fixed missing line in Portuguese audio in a cinematic

General Fixes/Updates
Fixed issue where ambient sounds disappeared when mashing buttons during a cinematic
Removed unnecessary loading screens showing up
Updated credits
World no longer visibly unloads after Jack lets Beth and NPC into the Swimming Pool front door
Amy no longer remains still and without pathing towards gate in train yard
Fixed Jack’s subtitles not showing in some cinematics
Unlock descriptions for Will Diary 1 and Will Diary 2 are no longer reversed
Fix for blinking lights, where flares would blink excessively bright after resuming from suspend mode
Fixes for making Xbox Live integration more fault-tolerant
Remedy logo fix*
Fix for a rare bug that accidentally wiped progress after completing the game
Fix for some TV screens sometimes showing a really grainy image
Fixed circular progress bar alpha in the junction stats screen
Fixed video playback not always ending if the video was synced to audio
Fixed two rare instances of stalls when loading
Fixed a rare crash with the video texture system
Fixed crash in download menu when switching profiles
Fixed "Waiting for install to complete" text not being localized when changing the language
Game/story/collectible progress hero stats no longer display incorrectly when player has less than a percent of progress
Fixed rare instances of cloud saves failing and causing loss of progress

EDIT: also the first page of the current issues' discussion has been updated: http://community.remedygames.com/fo...tum-break-state-of-the-game-updated-27-4-2016

K' Dash

A little help here.

Does anyone know why Jack has fucking eyepatch? I bought the code from a Gaffer, downloaded from MS store and was playing without issues, now in Act 3 Jack has an eyepatch.

Do these fuckers think I pirated this shit? is it actually possible, I don't really know???

FYI, there were some pending updates from W10, I installed them and the problem is fixed now.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
^The episodes are ~22 minutes long.

Ahhhh, thought they 40 minutes. Will be running through the game though I few more times.

Just finished Act 3 and the Junction. I decided to
keep my eyes on Hatch and trust Dr. Amaral

I'm pretty much making all my Junction decisions to help the interests
Jack Joyce and go against Monarch and Paul Serene
. I love being able to compare the decisions you make at the Junctions with people on your friends list who've played the game.

The set pieces in this game are stunning. I'm not really a fan of Uncharted compared to other 3rd person shooters but QB's gunplay sections combined with the time powers are far more fun than Uncharted.

I love how the enemy AI tries to flank or surround you and using Time Rush to move around the room towards an enemy then Time Shield and hitting an enemy with a Shotgun. Soooogood.gif

Early contender for GOTY for me and this is coming right off of the brilliant Dark Souls 3.

Grisby

^ It is a bug from the Store, try to play online if you are playing offline.

I just found another one
right after you unfreeze Will in the elevator, before getting in the main hall: if you look up Hatch is watching from a glass windowed balcony.
There should be other spots as well, as I read somewhere.

Release notes:

EDIT: also the first page of the current issues' discussion has been updated: http://community.remedygames.com/fo...tum-break-state-of-the-game-updated-27-4-2016
Cool, he reminds me so much
of the G-man (I miss Half-Life so much).

And thanks for the patch notes. Was wondering why I got 2 gig update.

Granjinha

I'm sorry for the rant but:

Fuck this piece of shit port (PC version). The game just stopped working. Suddenly i'm entering to begin my second playthrough and it stays only in a white screen. What the hell. I go search online and seems like reinstalling is my only option.

I love, love the game, but man this is just making the experience so much worse. I can't wait for the may update on the Windows Store (that allows overlays so i can record the damn game and review it) and the patch for it, too.

sertopico

Not to mention the fact that
he's the time monster that's killing everyone at Monarch in the final act.

This also.
He perfectly knows which events will happen, and mostly how, that's the reason why he did that in the final act and why he appears in crucial parts of the story. He manipulated Serene first (maybe Dr. Kim as well?) and Jack soon after. Personally I am not even sure he's a villain, but considering what he says right before blowing up the lab well, probably he really wants a frozen universe where he can wander freely...

This also.
He perfectly knows which events will happen, and mostly how, that's the reason why he did that in the final act and why he appears in crucial parts of the story. He manipulated Serene first (maybe Dr. Kim as well?) and Jack soon after. Personally I am not even sure he's a villain, but considering what he says right before blowing up the lab well, probably he really wants a frozen universe where he can wander freely...

I love the fact that he is there from the beginning. As almost as he is making sure events go to plan beause of something that happens in the future we, the players, don't know about yet. aka 2021 - end of time . The note he left in serenes desk is forshadowing of a bigger role jack plays. merely a big puppet. its so damn good to me. love this story and the implications that we don't know about 100%

Speaking on the end of time - i remember hatch saying he was free'ing dr kim from that chamber. relating to the note hatch left for jack, talking about how they can only emerge through certain shutters and etc. so the end of time is really the beginning of their reign over the world perhaps? it's so quite interesting to me.

bidguy

Banned
im in love with this game. reading all the notes , emails really adds tons to the story. the gunplay is really good and the different time powers are a lot better to use than i thought. hope they make a DLC or a sequel because they left some questions unanswered ....

Alx

Release notes:

I checked to be sure, but I still couldn't get the achievement that you're supposed to unlock in Act 3 part 1. Bummer. I guess my completion will stay at 98% forever.

sertopico

^ Which achievement are you talking about?
snip

Speaking on the end of time - i remember hatch saying he was free'ing dr kim from that chamber. relating to the note hatch left for jack, talking about how they can only emerge through certain shutters and etc. so the end of time is really the beginning of their reign over the world perhaps? it's so quite interesting to me.
Yes I think he has plans about it, probably it's plenty of the so called shifters who want to take over the universe. Hope it won't turn into some Assassin's Creed bullshit anyway. :D

Alx

^ Which achievement are you talking about?

According to the trueachievements app, it's the
"find a chronon harness for Beth"
one, but it still appears as "secret achievement" on my console. I obviously fullfilled the requirement, since it's plot-related, and I actually completed 100% of the game anyway so I have all other achievements but that one.
I played Act 3 part 1 four or five times already, even restarted a game from scratch , but it didn't make any difference.

Enjoyed the game!

The live action show actually turned out a lot better that I though it would or could, and the story was satisfying overall.
I do wish it had been a tad bit longer, and thought they could have done without the whole narration part of the story, but I think the overall plot was good.

I also think that the inclusion of radios was a great idea, as it brought the world to life, but all the notes and stuff was a bit tedious to read to the point that I wish they would have done some voice acting for each of them to be read out loud.....

Overall I liked all of the combat stuff and felt that it didn't get too repetitive over the coarse of the game, and the graphics were top notch as well.

Anyways, congrats to Remedy on another great game. Can't wait to see what is next!

EDIT: BTW, did anyone here find the note with the play write about the knife time machine? Thought that was very well done.

Top Bottom