• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break |OT| We'll Be Right Back After This Commercial Break

qb007mfoi9.png

LAWD, what are you doing to get the game that "clean"?

Is there anywhere on the Internet with a very high resolution collection of the entire whiteboard time line from 1999 to 2021+ that
Paul Serene has in his office near the end of the game
?

That was just incredible. Probably will go down as a classic moment in gaming for me. I spent 20 minutes starting from the left and reading about as many events as I could from 1999 to 2021+. Some of it was so disturbing. I mean I think by the end of the game it's clear Paul Serene wanted to do the right thing, but the white board describes some sinister and evil things, like
leveraging knowledge of the future to profit off other people's misery, especially with respect to 9/11, the 2008 American mortgage crisis, the swine flu outbreak, etc...

The time and care it must have taken to build that white board is staggering. I also liked references to
the Edward Snowden NSA leak, the Arab spring, various flight numbers (I didn't look them all up but I assume they all relate to civilian airline disasters), etc...

I tried to be as meticulous as possible and read every collectible I did find and I remember that room with Serene's timeline specifically but I recall just glossing over it.

I'll have to go back and take my time and read all that stuff.

Awesome game.

Montresor

Actually, that's an Xbox One shot I took...haha.

Here's what the game looks like on my PC, but I'm playing with a 4k resolution downsample. It's gorgeous. All gameplay, no cutscenes.

021pj9h.png

The attention to detail in this game is just too good. I never took the time to read the back of Paul Serene's "Stonecrow" concert t-shirt. So that concert tour includes Bright Falls (the fictional city from Alan Wake), Riverport (the fictional city from Quantum Break), and it finishes off in Espoo, Finland (the headquarters of Remedy).

The attention to detail in this game is just too good. I never took the time to read the back of Paul Serene's "Stonecrow" concert t-shirt. So that concert tour includes Bright Falls (the fictional city from Alan Wake), Riverport (the fictional city from Quantum Break), and it finishes off in Espoo, Finland (the headquarters of Remedy).

It would have been cool if Remedy would have referenced the Old Gods of Asgards metal band from Alan Wake.

Actually, that's an Xbox One shot I took...haha.

Here's what the game looks like on my PC, but I'm playing with a 4k resolution downsample. It's gorgeous. All gameplay, no cutscenes.

Damn, the game looks so much more grainy in-game for me. If I could change one thing about this game it would removing the film grain. It sucks.

Just beat it on Hard. I thought the final boss was going to be hard judging from the posts here but it was fairly easy. You guys complain too much :/

shandy706

Just beat it on Hard. I thought the final boss was going to be hard judging from the posts here but it was fairly easy. You guys complain too much :/

You only died 23 times so you didn't have much trouble with the game. Some people died 50-250 times. They were probably a bit frustrated.

Kudo

Has there been any ETA for the PC patch?
GTX 780 can run it somehow 1440p/Medium but that motion blur is just destroying the game for me, everything is ghosting.

Daingurse

Has there been any ETA for the PC patch?
GTX 780 can run it somehow 1440p/Medium but that motion blur is just destroying the game for me, everything is ghosting.

The ghosting/artifacting is mostly due to the temporal re-construction tech, and that isn't going anywhere apparently.

I want to get rid of the film grain so bad. It's what bothers me the most about the IQ besides the non-native res.

Man the boss fight was easier than I expected. This was a great game, but I wouldn't call it memorable imo.

In hindsight the boss fight was "easy" I guess -it took me about 6 times before I did him in- but it frustrated me because everything had been a cakewalk in comparison.

The boss fight was def the weakest part of the game -gameplay wise- for sure. Very disappointing it felt like let's have a boss fight because we're a game type thing.

UraMallas

Hey, guys. Hope you can help out.

I gave my PC code to a friend and they used it. It told him "Quantum Break is waiting for you in the store". He clicked on the store and the button says to purchase for full price.

Any ideas?

dedhead54

Boss was easy as shit on normal difficulty. On hard I have now had to turn the game off twice to cool down because it's pissing me off so badly.

i can get past the first two waves of guys but then Paul does that shit where the entire area is red and no matter where I go I get fucking killed.

Just finished. 100%, timer says 21h51m but I'll call it 19 after compensating for time putting down the controller without turning it off.

The ending was... rushed. It felt like it reached the finish line and then just tried to get the hell out as soon as humanly possible, not giving the story a chance to decompress for a few minutes. I liked the final note it ended on, and I also liked the little post-credits stinger, but the whole ending just felt too abrupt to be satisfying. There's one aspect that's left a bit too vague as well; I'm not the type to demand Answers about everything, but it's frustrating to not be clear on
the actual state of time and what is going on with Jack considering the whole game is kind of about that stuff.

I'm a bit more down on the show now that I've finished the game. It's still pretty well done, and I like what they're going for by fleshing out some characters that otherwise would be handful-of-brief-lines NPCs, but what starts to drag it down for me is the fact that there is simply much more compelling material that could have been mined with Beth.
Clashing with Paul at the end of time, tasking her younger self and Will with preventing the end of time, having to relive everything a second time over
... that's the show I want to see. The glimpses that we did get through cutscenes and collectibles are some of my absolute favorite moments in the game - the type of stuff that I specifically went into the game hoping for - and I would have killed to see it fleshed out.

Still, overall, I really liked this. Loved, maybe. As much as I want Alan Wake 2, I wouldn't complain if we wound up getting a second one of these first.

(Also: What the hell is with in-game Lance Reddick being so short? That was hilariously distracting for me.)

I beat the game on Tuesday this week. Aiming for all the achievements in as few playthroughs as possible, I decided to play on Hard the first time. But when I completed the game, the Hard difficulty achievement didn't unlock. I looked back at the Timeline, and realised that most of the chapters had been beaten on Normal! Turns out when I reloaded a chapter from the timeline mid-playthrough, I'd accidentally selected Normal difficulty.

So last night, I decided to remedy that (no pun intended), and rush through the game again on Hard, while also taking the opportunity to select all the opposite junction points. With all my abilities maxed out, it actually took me far quicker than I had anticipated, by skipping the documents and cutscenes. I got to the final boss, but it was giving me trouble again, so I decided to call it a night.

Really enjoyed the game, nevertheless. I know the PC port is being slagged off left, right and center, but I had no problem with it. I have a GTX970 and an i7 6700k, and with everything on High, I found the performance great! The graphics look incredible, and the framerate was always smooth and steady.

I found the story very engaging. The opening gave me flashbacks to Half-Life! All the time manipulated sections of the game, were really fascinating, too. Those were some spectacular effects used. I thought the pacing was also very good, too. Quantum Break was very refreshing, having just come from Tomb Raider 2013. In TR, it seemed that the developers were scared that the player might get bored if they were left alone to enjoy the environments for more than five minutes. Enemies were dropped in the most bizarre places, like that
shipwreck
, for example.
So moving onto Quantum Break, it was all the more noticeable that Remedy were confident in their world-building, and didn't feel impulsed to throw you into a gunfight unless it was appropriate for the story.
Not to mention that TR's writing was spectacularly moronic.

The TV show segments were better than I expected. I guess they did seem a little low budget, and the junction points in the show were very minor, but I thought the episodes overall were fine. At least the acting was good.
But, man, why wasn't Liam's wife upset watching her murderous husband kill his way up the stairwell when breaking into Monarch? Also, why didn't anybody try to break up the fight in the hospital?

I enjoyed the way it wrapped up, but I do feel like it was
teasing the Shifters, and I was at least hoping we were going to go to the end of time.
Ahh well.
I thought the scene near the end where
Jack hesitated to touch and unfreeze Beth in the carpark was very poignant.

I certainly look forward to whatever Remedy have coming up next. I sure hope
the video in the tent in the first chapter
has something to do with it.

[EDIT]: and I just got my 1000G! Phew!

Ricker

So I managed to kill the second wave at that awful last chapter fight,Jack mumbled something that I couldnt understand but there was one more enormous red bubble and I got killed by it again...was I suppose to shoot him a second time during that period or what...?

If I hadnt bought this digital I would of snapped the disk in pieces by now...never again Remedy.

dedhead54

So I managed to kill the second wave at that awful last chapter fight,Jack mumbled something that I couldnt understand but there was one more enormous red bubble and I got killed by it again...was I suppose to shoot him a second time during that period or what...?

If I hadnt bought this digital I would of snapped the disk in pieces by now...never again Remedy.

I just had the same thought right before I shut my xbox off for a third time in two days after trying to beat this shit. The single most annoying section of any game I've played in a long long time.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Like nah. I'm usually pretty bitchy about spoilers but if you can't figure that out like 20 minutes into the game then all hope is lost. What's next? Walter White dying a spoiler? Man this shit is set up in the first couple minutes.

yeah, kind of?

i definitely thought the game was going to swap hatch as the big bad, even before it was obvious. so, had someone spoiled it was in fact serene before hand to me, that would have taken something away from the experience.

Does the TV show play automatically during the course of the game or do I access it separately? And if so, where? I just finished Act 1 and Act 2 immediately started, which surprised me as I was expecting a TV episode. I downloaded the episodes, if that matters.

Just finished it . Died about 5 times on the boss . Overall not that hard I just died from rushing enemies when I shouldn't of etc

Overall fantastic game from start to finish . One of the best games this gen imo and I'm keen to replay it all and try the different junctures.

Hopefully we can get a sequel , as much as I loved Alan wake I like this setting more .

UraMallas

Had a lot of fun with it! Played through on Normal the first time and didn't get any of the collectibles; I just upgraded all my powers. Played through the second time on Hard and I felt like it was much easier because I understood the game mechanics better. I was jetting around like a bad ass. The end boss on Normal probably killed me 15 times but the second time I got it done on the 3rd try.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Does the TV show play automatically during the course of the game or do I access it separately? And if so, where? I just finished Act 1 and Act 2 immediately started, which surprised me as I was expecting a TV episode. I downloaded the episodes, if that matters.
You sure it's Act 2? Acts are broken into parts so after act 1-1 you go straight to act 1-2. At the end of an act you get an end of act screen and some licensed music plays. You then have to press the A button to move past that screen and for the TV episode to begin.

If you're sure you're on Act 2, you can view the episode you skipped by going into the Timeline option on the main screen and selecting the sequence in between both Acts.

dt2

Banned
BTW

Game difficulty - Hard
Time played - 19h 28m
Player deaths - 99 (yikes)
Game completion - 100%
Collectibles unlocked - 100%

Nice! Here's mine (grabbed off Xbox app):
I'm on my third playthrough. Turned HUD off and turned aim assist to low and power aim assist to off. Absolutely love this game; the best I've played this year so far!

You sure it's Act 2? Acts are broken into parts so after act 1-1 you go straight to act 1-2. At the end of an act you get an end of act screen and some licensed music plays. You then have to press the A button to move past that screen and for the TV episode to begin.

If you're sure you're on Act 2, you can view the episode you skipped by going into the Timeline option on the main screen and selecting the sequence in between both Acts.

I'm pretty sure. I just took control of
Martin
. Jack's
brother just died
and a short scene played and now I'm in control again. I didn't intentionally skip anything--nothing played except the short cutscene.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I'm pretty sure. I just took control of
Martin
. Jack's
brother just died
and a short scene played and now I'm in control again. I didn't intentionally skip anything--nothing played except the short cutscene.
I was mistaken, the order is Act -> Junction (
Part where you play Paul
-> TV Episode -> Act 2. You can double check on the Timeline, the episode should be there for replay even if you're already in Act 2.

dedhead54

Finally beat the boss fight on my hard playthrough. I died 107 times between my normal and hard playthroughs, but I'd say 75-80% of those were on hard, and most of those were from either the 1st section of act 5 and the boss fight. Total playtime 42 hours 6 minutes. This is the first full game I have ever 1000/1000 (I easily 1000/1000 the Forza Horizon 2 Fast and Furious standalone). Feels good.

Time to start Alan Wake for the first time.

dt2

Banned
Finally beat the boss fight on my hard playthrough. I died 107 times between my normal and hard playthroughs, but I'd say 75-80% of those were on hard, and most of those were from either the 1st section of act 5 and the boss fight. Total playtime 42 hours 6 minutes. This is the first full game I have ever 1000/1000 (I easily 1000/1000 the Forza Horizon 2 Fast and Furious standalone). Feels good.

You're in for a treat! I'm starting it as well. Already beat it once but that was years ago and I've never played the DLC.

Montresor

I envy you. You've got basically 9 chapters of Alan Wake goodness to look forward to (6 in the main game, DLC#1, DLC#2, and the XBLA game). All of them quite incredible.

dedhead54

I envy you. You've got basically 9 chapters of Alan Wake goodness to look forward to (6 in the main game, DLC#1, DLC#2, and the XBLA game). All of them quite incredible.

Only 45 minutes in so far but I am digging the shit out of it. Setting and vibes are right up my alley.

Top Bottom