• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radio Free Nintendo | A Nintendo Podcast for Grownups

Crimm

I think it still might come down to ease (relative 3DS to say Xbox One). I'd counter-point to piracy on mobile and PC, which is rampant. A "willingness" to pay for Nintendo products might be loyalty or it might be feeling the "the game isn't worth it" excuse is not is likely to be widely accepted. It doesn't mean they don't ALSO pirate those games, they may just lie about it.

Regardless, my gut is that it's likely a "I can, and therefore why shouldn't it."

This is actually a perfectly good email question, by the way. I'll try to keep it in mind for a larger segment, but we're probably not the best informed to answer it.

Unrelated, here's the link for all NWR's Switch coverage - including the link to the chat and the player for the RFN Live Show, right after Switch presentation ends tomorrow.

Cindro

Hey RFN crew: Do you adult men succumb to the throes of hype on occasions like this? I mean an occasion like this, an E3-esque blowout on one of the most exciting and promising consoles in Nintendo's history.

You all sounded very level-headed and calm (never thought I'd say that!) throughout the last podcast, with the same tonal gravitas you'd have for a New Business game you dredged out of a"rowdily-used" toiled for $5 on the eShop.

This isn't a criticism, mind you, just an observation. I'm also an adult man with a full time job and a lot of other real-life responsibilities, so the cynic in me fully comprehends how this conference is just a revenue-driven company showing bits of plastic and light in an attempt to use it as a bartering chip for your bank account to please shareholders in order to drum up more revenue and fuel this process ad infinitum... but on Nintendo announcement nights, I put the cynic in me to bed. I treat it with the same reverence as a holiday, making it about getting in touch with what made me adore the company in the first place: colorful craftsmanship, interactive joy, digital whimsy.

Getting high on Nintendo hype is near the top of my favorite simple pleasures - sans the inevitable crash afterwards making you feel like an abused junkie who got his hopes up AGAIN only to be smacked down by Nintendo being Nintendo and never changing their ways.

But as the abused junkie in that metaphor, it's only fair to point out that I haven't changed my ways either. I'll never learn - I guess that's why we make such a good duo.

HYPE!

Really looking forward to your post-event livestream. See ya guys then!

GuillaumeNWR

Neo Member
Cindro, I think it mostly has to do with the late hour of the recording, being distracted by the new news that kept popping up after the presentation, and the Skype call not exactly being conducive to letting loose.

While watching the presentation, I guffawed a whole lot at scenes game trailers that looked bonkers and fun. But between watching Nintendo's show and recording ours, concerns about the price dampened my excitement.

Ondore

Hot takes! We got hot takes here!
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/43976/episode-505-switchmas-presents
Episode 505 "Switchmas Presents" said:
Nintendo's late-night Switch conference could not deter the intrepid RFN crew. In a move best attributed to false confidence, they resolved to do a live show immediately following Nintendo's presentation, late into the night and while the dust was still setting. Joined by former host Dr. Jonathan Metts, and a few call-in guests, they broke down the announced price, the games, and Nintendo's kooky presentation style.

Sure, Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild still looks good, but Super Mario Odyssey has creepy human-proportioned people. Yeah, Mario has some amazing art, but Xenoblade 2 is going full anime in 2017. Then again, so is a voice acted Breath of the Wild. Want to hear about Joy-Cons, we have impressions from Switch developer and friend of the show Syrenne McNulty. Arms has online play, so we can all live out James' fantasy of punching Jon Lindemann in the head, over the Internet.

Sound frenetic? It was. If you're looking for hot takes, these were fresh out of the oven. Thanks to everyone who joined us!

Time: 2'20"53
Downloads: MP3 | AAC (apologies for the large file size)
Outro: Super Mario 3D Land - Snowball Park
Cost of a Switch and a Zelda Lindemann Edition in Canada: SIX HUNDRED DOLLARS BEFORE TAX.

Negator

Good job on the podcast guys, was good to have the whole crew and Dr. Metts for that ep.

I missed the window of opportunity to preoeder the system, which is fine because Im not a big 3D Zelda fan, so Im looking forward to what people have to say when they get their consoles.

I am plenty hyped for Switch, and if that didn't come through on the live show, I might point to the late hour and inability to plan the show's agenda in advance. We weren't sure what order to talk about a large number of topics, and that led to some confusion and maybe people discussing certain things before they were ready or after the perfect moment had already passed. The distraction level was definitely high, too -- you can probably tell as I was gleefully inserting random facts as I found them, which was probably too disruptive.

silks

The distraction level was definitely high, too -- you can probably tell as I was gleefully inserting random facts as I found them, which was probably too disruptive.

Never mind the fact that pre-orders for the system and its games were going up as the show was going on. I spent half the show monitoring Twitter to see when console pre-orders went live, and then spent the rest of it monitoring when the Zelda Master Edition pre-order would go live.

Not exactly the best podcasting environment.

Dingens

I am plenty hyped for Switch, and if that didn't come through on the live show [...]

yeah, I could definitely tell. Haven't heard you this excited about anything Nintendo in years.

I'm looking forward to the next show... I'm sure the 3ds announcements yesterday make for some interesting discussion.
Who could've guessed that the 3ds, which at one point was considered a failure, would turn into Nintendo's longest running system?

yeah, I could definitely tell. Haven't heard you this excited about anything Nintendo in years.

I'm looking forward to the next show... I'm sure the 3ds announcements yesterday make for some interesting discussion.
Who could've guessed that the 3ds, which at one point was considered a failure, would turn into Nintendo's longest running system?
Gameboy lasted for the better part of two decades.

That still blows my mind.

I'm looking forward to the next episode where everyone has had more info, seen some of the lesser known games in greater detail and had more time to digest everything. Are we back to regular schedule now?

First time I've posted in this thread, and I've never Emailed in or anything, but just wanted you guys to know I've been listening for about a year and a half and you guys get me through Mondays at work. Thanks!

jacksrb

Love my RFN and was excited to listen to the latest episode.

Question for everyone else who listened. The developer who has a switch game in progress added a lot of nice context and behind the scenes information, but one thing he mentioned (I thought) was the triggers being analog. That is different from a bunch of other reports from people going hands on with the joy con and pro controller.

Anyone hear the same thing? What is the consensus on this? Thanks.

Crimm

We address the format of the live show and the triggers on the upcoming episode. The two events are related - from a purely "quality of the show" thing it was probably not the right decision to do a live show right then. However, the show is supposed to be fun, and I have a really good time doing live shows. I wish we got more callers on, and that's on me. Even still, the chat is fun.

Ondore

Time to acknowledge the holding pattern with a emailstravaganza.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/44029/episode-506-4k-force-feedback
Episode 506 "4K Force Feedback" said:
One week removed from Nintendo's Switch presentation, and a day after the Fire Emblem Nintendo Direct, we've had some time to process all the new info. As with any time following a major Nintendo announcement, our inbox was flooded with questions and hot takes. Let it be known that RFN is a firm believer in Podcasts as a Service; with this in mind, we decided to focus exclusively on whittling away at this email backlog. While we didn't get through everything, we cover: what franchise should get the Warriors treatment (oops) which launched us into the Fire Emblem Direct, future Switch shapes, region-free gaming, its truly weird companion app, and its price.

When I say email powers the show, this is what I mean! Look at all the planning this saved...just line up the emails and go. You too can save James a ton of time by sending in questions and thoughts to our mailbag.

Time: 1'54"52
Outro: Fire Emblem Gaiden - With Mila's Divine Protection
Downloads: MP3 | AAC
Tried to vote for Kellam in the Fire Emblem Heroes vote: Took me 20 minutes

1. I want to see Donkey Kong Jr. Math Warriors. Perform basic calculations by the thousands as you slay wave after wave of pink monkeys.

2. I would buy the shit out of Fire Emblem Pinball.

3. I don't agree that there's no rationale for buying at launch. If you divide the buy-in cost by the number of months you own the system during its active lifespan, getting in early often works out. Plus, you get that shiny brand-new console feeling thrown in, which you can't get at any other point. Though all that being said, as a Wii U owner (since launch!) who's not into Splatoon I don't see much reason to jump in on the Switch any time soon.

4. Greg's Ahnold impersonation is...something.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I've yet to listen to it, but I think the logic of "it's worth getting, just not at launch" is for the fact that it'll be worth getting later this year, once more games have been released/announced & the bigger titles like Splatoon 2 & Super Mario Odyssey. At launch, Zelda's pretty much your main game & maybe a month later, MK8 Deluxe if you missed out on the Wii U version or really want Battle Mode &/or portable MK8. Otherwise, summer with Splatoon 2 or holiday with SMO seems like when more people will give in & get the system.

Which is perfectly fine, I'm just getting it day one since the presentation basically "future-proofed" my purchase since I KNOW there'll be games coming, but I know others rather would prefer to see the games actually be released first before giving into the system (which is what I sometimes do/did for my consoles).

But I also get your logic of "if you buy it early, you'll have it longer to make it feel more "worth it" in the end" as well.

I've yet to listen to it, but I think the logic of "it's worth getting, just not at launch" is for the fact that it'll be worth getting later this year, once more games have been released/announced & the bigger titles like Splatoon 2 & Super Mario Odyssey. At launch, Zelda's pretty much your main game & maybe a month later, MK8 Deluxe if you missed out on the Wii U version or really want Battle Mode &/or portable MK8. Otherwise, summer with Splatoon 2 or holiday with SMO seems like when more people will give in & get the system.

Which is perfectly fine, I'm just getting it day one since the presentation basically "future-proofed" my purchase since I KNOW there'll be games coming, but I know others rather would prefer to see the games actually be released first before giving into the system (which is what I sometimes do/did for my consoles).

But I also get your logic of "if you buy it early, you'll have it longer to make it feel more "worth it" in the end" as well.

You'll find when you listen that James outright says the proposition of buying a console at launch is irrational. As a launch aficionado since the Dreamcast did it right oh so many years ago, I've always disagreed with that, even on a simple economic level of viable months per dollar.

There are always people saying "will buy when it's $200 cheaper and has 20 games I want," which is silly because yes, you get in for cheap, but you won't be half as impressed with what you got. And that pile of games will just sit in your backlog while you're on message boards obsessing with everybody else about what's coming out next week...unless you're a dedicated retro gamer (which I also am).

The Switch just happens to be a unique situation where between Wii U, PS4 & Vita I already have access to most of its games and a great portable library that I'm quite engaged with. But I'm rooting for it to do well and will revisit that purchasing decision after E3.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Valid enough points. I just think of the 3DS' launch having so little games within its first year & the fact the eShop wasn't even up until later in the year, but eventually got to the point it had a great library to make the system worth owning. I'm still glad I own a 3DS, but at the same time, I recognize it had a rough/slow launch. Not to mention that price drop not even a year later. But at the very least, the Switch has a new Zelda, which easily makes getting the system at launch worth it, even if I already have a Wii U to play it on.

I won't lie, I had a similar situation when I got my PS4 on Black Friday 2015, & went from "crap, I need to get some games for this" to "HOLY CRAP, how do I already have a backlog for this?!" within the span of a single month, so I totally understand.

& yeah, I'm in a similar situation where I already own other systems (I buy Nintendo consoles to play Nintendo's games mainly, plus the few exclusives from other companies), but I also hope it still does well & can give me some good 3rd party exclusives.

Edit: Maybe another thing to consider is some people wait for a price drop since they can't afford it at the launch price, such as my friend who REALLY loves Zelda, but owns neither a Wii U nor can get a Switch right now. Hell, he was trying to figure out how to order the Special Edition of BotW despite not having the systems just so he could have the items & the game ready for the day when he finally got the system. Heck, as a kid, I had to wait for the GCN to be $150 before I was able to buy it with the money I saved up. But I still understand where you're coming from.

I will say I think you guys were too hard on yourselves about the live episode last week. Sure, it was hectic, but to expect anything besides that would be kind of crazy. I think this was the biggest Nintendo info dump we've had outside of an E3.

Sure it could have been better organized, but I think it was fun in a less structured way.

Edit: Maybe another thing to consider is some people wait for a price drop since they can't afford it at the launch price, such as my friend who REALLY loves Zelda, but owns neither a Wii U nor can get a Switch right now. Hell, he was trying to figure out how to order the Special Edition of BotW despite not having the systems just so he could have the items & the game ready for the day when he finally got the system. Heck, as a kid, I had to wait for the GCN to be $150 before I was able to buy it with the money I saved up. But I still understand where you're coming from.

Of course, if money's tight then whatever, get what you can afford. I'm not saying anybody needs anything at launch. 99% of people on this site should be buying less games to begin with, myself included.

I will say I think you guys were too hard on yourselves about the live episode last week. Sure, it was hectic, but to expect anything besides that would be kind of crazy. I think this was the biggest Nintendo info dump we've had outside of an E3.

Sure it could have been better organized, but I think it was fun in a less structured way.

The only way they could be hard on their live episode is if they didn't see everybody else's. Just having someone on with access to actual facts set them way ahead.

GuillaumeNWR

Neo Member
Nah, getting a console months after launch doesn't diminish your excitement or hype. The only systems I got at launch were the 3DS and Wii U. I was rewarded with overpaying in the first case, and a terrible experience updating the console's OS (which remained sluggish for months) in the second.

Picked up a GameCube when Eternal Darkness came out, an official memory card with 5 times the capacity of the ones the system launched with, and a Wavebird.

Picked up a Wii in July 2007 and playing Wii Sports for the first time was exciting because it was new to me. The benefit of an already well-furnished Virtual Console meant you didn't hear me bitch about any "drip feed" for months/years.

The benefits of getting a system later aren't just monetary.

Literally the only thing you're missing out on is "being part of the conversation" at the time of release. But I find myself caring less about that now that I spend way less time on message boards than I did in my 20s. And yes, I'm on a Nintendo podcast, but RFN won't suffer since Jon and James have preordered.

Part of me does want to give in to the hype and get a Switch as soon as possible: the launch and launch-period line-up is looking better by the day, and I dig the idea of getting all at once a bunch of new co-op games to play with Karen. But another part of me is kind of relieved to have passed on preordering and given myself more time to dig into the Wii U and 3DS games I already own or plan on getting.

jacksrb

Agree. Moments like "hold on while I go grab a pre-order on Walmart" are really fun and exciting. No one would expect all of the details to be perfect. Capturing an authentic moment in time is really compelling.

Ondore

This week on RFN, we rastify it by about 15%.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/44057/episode-507-get-pooched
Episode 507 "Get Pooched!" said:
It's basically February, so now's the time to review 2016! We kick the show off with our personal Top-5 lists. Greg, Gui, and James pick out the wheat from the chaff of 2016. Jon does something else entirely. I wont spoil our winners here, but fan-favorite Epic Dumpster Bear just missed the cut.

Following the break, we have the return of New Business! Guillaume kicks it off with a look at Pirate Pop Plus, the Game Boy inspired bubble popper, available (with Cross-Buy) on Wii U and 3DS. Gui was a fan of 13AM Games' Runbow, and he enjoys their newest entry as well. He doubles down on second entries from Wii U indie creators with Wii U/3DS title Severed, from the makers of Guacamelee. Greg has final thoughts on Fire Emblem Fates: Revelations, where you can indeed save everyone before offering some thoughts on Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World demo. Two weeks ago, listeners got to listen live as Jon and James pre-order their Switches, this week Jon provides an update. James cleans the segment up with quick thoughts on Pocket Card Jockey. His praise is less effusive than Gui's, finding the whims to which the game often subjects you...lame.

It's time for our next RetroActvie, and Guillaume has been given the powers of a tyrant. He has selected Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom, which is available on the Wii Virtual Console - except in Europe. Why is it unavailable in Europe? Unknown, the regional whims of the Virtual Console have bedeviled this show for a decade. But, I'm sure you can figure out how to play along. Official thread and dates of the RetroActive will be available shortly. As always, you can send us your questions via the mailbag.

Time: 2'16"46
Outro: Airboarder/Ending Theme - Rhythm Heaven (Gernan)
Possibly non-listed games in the top 5s: 7th Dragon III, Axiom Verge, Bravely Second, DQ7, Robobobobobobo(etc), Monster Hunter Generations, AA: Spirit of Justice, Pokémon Sun and Moon, Rhythm Heaven Megamix, Sega 3D Classics Collection, Star Fox Zero, Twilight Princess HD, Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE

The DS/PSP years taught me that Vita was the way to go this gen, but if I ever pick up a 3DS the Sega 3D Classics Collection (along with Link Between Worlds and that new Blaster Master) will be one of the first things I pick up. Not sure how someone could not be a fan of the last 20 years of Sega, the Saturn & Dreamcast years were some of their most creative (maybe John wasn't thinking in exact years when he made that comment).

As far as the launch Switch being redolent of the DS fat, I do hope that the Switch sells enough to get a svelter, cheaper redesign with a more robust battery. Though things like the PS3, PS4 & Vita have taught me that the redesign is not always the better way to go...okay, maybe that's just a Sony problem.

Puyo Puyo Tetris is a 100% definite must-purchase. I've had the Japanese PS4 version for a year now, it's great. I gave a copy to my kid sister for Christmas and my whole family went at it in 4-player mode that entire week. It's a cool concept that anybody can figure out, in a slick package.

I think I need to get back into Axiom Verge. I bought it at launch on the PS4, got stuck an hour or two in and put it down to wait for the Vita version. I actually like the Vita version way more, that platform is perfect for the game (haven't played it on Wii U). The visuals look much better on the smaller OLED and the controls just feel tighter with that hardware. But I got an hour into it & then got distracted...I think I wasn't really feeling it at the time, but glad to hear it holds up that well.

The DS/PSP years taught me that Vita was the way to go this gen, but if I ever pick up a 3DS the Sega 3D Classics Collection (along with Link Between Worlds and that new Blaster Master) will be one of the first things I pick up. Not sure how someone could not be a fan of the last 20 years of Sega, the Saturn & Dreamcast years were some of their most creative (maybe John wasn't thinking in exact years when he made that comment).

As far as the launch Switch being redolent of the DS fat, I do hope that the Switch sells enough to get a svelter, cheaper redesign with a more robust battery. Though things like the PS3, PS4 & Vita have taught me that the redesign is not always the better way to go...okay, maybe that's just a Sony problem.

Puyo Puyo Tetris is a 100% definite must-purchase. I've had the Japanese PS4 version for a year now, it's great. I gave a copy to my kid sister for Christmas and my whole family went at it in 4-player mode that entire week. It's a cool concept that anybody can figure out, in a slick package.

I think I need to get back into Axiom Verge. I bought it at launch on the PS4, got stuck an hour or two in and put it down to wait for the Vita version. I actually like the Vita version way more, that platform is perfect for the game (haven't played it on Wii U). The visuals look much better on the smaller OLED and the controls just feel tighter with that hardware. But I got an hour into it & then got distracted...I think I wasn't really feeling it at the time, but glad to hear it holds up that well.
Axiom Verge is pretty great on the Vita screen, but be warned that you will want to be saving as often as you can. It's janky and not just in the deliberate way the game is going for - I mean genuinely janky. Not sure if this is just an issue with the Vita version, but I have experienced multiple crashes through the course of my playthrough.

Dingens

talk about coincidence...
last week I finished Other:M, which is still a competent game made by professionals. (no seriously, I kinda liked the "true ending" with the helmet), and this week I finally started with fire emblem fates and... I kinda don't like it.

Additionally to all the issues James mentioned, I'd also list the atrocious localisation... Maybe it's not as apparent in the english version(?), but the German one at least is borderline laughable. And somehow, I think, it may also be the reason for why nearly all the characters suck (there personalities at least). Apparently Awakening was localized by 8-4 and Fates was done by tree house...
I sure hope they go back to 8-4 for Gaiden... but I somehow doubt it -_-

Now I feel kinda sad to have wasted 80 bucks on the special edition, only to hate on it :/

I'm surprised James didn't mention the session attacks from #FE or the encounter chaining system from Bravely Second. Those are both really smart mechanical additions to the genre that I want to see every JRPG steal.

Crimm

And somehow, I think, it may also be the reason for why nearly all the characters suck (there personalities at least). Apparently Awakening was localized by 8-4 and Fates was done by tree house...
I sure hope they go back to 8-4 for Gaiden... but I somehow doubt it -_-:/

I don't remember the characters in Fates nearly as well as Awakening, and I spent twice as much time with Fates far more recently. So it's probably an issue with the source material. Having so many characters to write, and so many supports (multiple times!), probably resulted in a bit of a less well-crafted experience.

I'm surprised James didn't mention the session attacks from #FE or the encounter chaining system from Bravely Second. Those are both really smart mechanical additions to the genre that I want to see every JRPG steal.

These are very good features of these games, but yeah I just didn't have great bullet points in my head. I played both of these games a long while ago, after all.

James, I still think you would have enjoyed Fates more if you'd played on Hard/Classic. I honestly feel like that's how the games are designed to be played, especially for vets of the series. Birthright felt like a proper follow-up to Awakening this way and Conquest felt like a return to the series' roots mixed with some new additions like varied objectives and of course the refined pair-up mechanic. That's another point worth mentioning, the changes to pair-up (attack and defense stance) are a massive improvement over Awakening.

You are my FE bro and I'll always appreciate you for that but I can't help but feel like you missed out on something special by choosing the difficulty settings you went with.

Ondore

Need a distraction from the slaughter in Houston, or at least to avoid Joe Buck? May I suggest Switch impressions?
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/44079/episode-508-co-op-yourself
Episode 508 "Co-Op Yourself" said:
This week, Jon stepped out and we're joined by Jonny. The good doctor had a chance to play Switch at PAX South, and he kicks off New Business. He offers impressions on the hardware and many of Switch's upcoming titles, such as Arms and The Legend of Zelda: Jokers Are Wild. Guillaume is now the second RFN member to struggle with the 3DS D-Pad playing a VC title, and he shares his thoughts on Super Metroid. He also has a few words regarding a game with no D-Pad, Super Mario Run. James is back in Japan, not literally, but rather by fully submersing himself in the world of Yakuza 0. It's a strange world of criminal intrigue and chickens dressed as businessmen. Greg has been on a self-described "Shmupapalooza," with special attention paid to the 3DS remake of Steel Empire.

After the break, Jonny steps out and we answer a couple of Listener Mail questions. This week we discuss the role of HD Rumble in rhythm games, and what series we'd like to see on Switch. You can rumble our Joy-Cons by sending us an email.

As a reminder, we're rapidly approaching our RetroActive on Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom! If you want your thoughts read on the show, go ahead and get started playing. You can post them in the official thread.

Time: 2'11"56
Outro: Mr. Driller - Re-epunam
tumblr_mjvi6ft9Rv1qbh26io1_1280.png

OMG Aero

I'm guessing the reason there's no FE Heroes talk on this podcast is because everyone is still deleting and reinstalling their app to get better characters.

I'm guessing the reason there's no FE Heroes talk on this podcast is because everyone is still deleting and reinstalling their app to get better characters.

Wasn't this episode recorded on the day that FE came out? I imagine they didn't have time to play it before recording.

Genio88

Gonna listen to this today at the gym. Lately i've been listening ton of contents about Switch, can't wait for mine to arrive in about three weeks

leroidys

I'm way late to the party on the <insert franchise here> Musou discussion, but I think that a Resident Evil Basara could be preeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetty good. I'm a little surprised that Capcom hasn't jumped on the "everything was Musou" train yet.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Musou Vs. Capcom

Mega Man Musou could work with all the robot masters & versions of Wily Machines

I legit cannot believe there isn't a Final Fantasy Musou yet. Hell, take some of the stuff from Dissidia & apply it to a musou, like customizing moves & accessories.

Game & Watch Musou. Each game is its own character, w/ Mr. Game & Watch being the final unlock who is a combination of movesets from other "characters"

Crimm

Is there any chance that this podcast will come to Acast in the future?

I much prefer the Acast App over Apple's Podcast App.

I'll look into it; this is my first time hearing about it.

Wasn't this episode recorded on the day that FE came out? I imagine they didn't have time to play it before recording.

Correct. I couldn't download it until we were settling in to record. I'll have some thoughts this week.

I'm way late to the party on the <insert franchise here> Musou discussion, but I think that a Resident Evil Basara could be preeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetty good. I'm a little surprised that Capcom hasn't jumped on the "everything was Musou" train yet.

Sengoku Basara is one of the most delightfully idiotic games I ever reviewed. Seeing all the SB merch in Japan was a delight. There MAY be a picture of me dressed as The One-Eyed Dragon - but if it does exist I'm not letting it out there.

Man I thought "Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom" was a joke title but nope, that's a real thing.

Gui got in there on this one.

Ondore

Fire Emblem Heroes? Check. Cat herding? ...check.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/44107/episode-509-you-could-die-tomorrow
Episode 509 "You Could Die Tomorrow" said:
The entire Radio Free Nintendo team has reassembled for one of the last episodes before the launch of Switch.

We start the show with New Business, and James has a look at Fire Emblem Heroes. You've probably all played it already, because it's free, but that doesn't stop us from talking about the game and its marketing potential. Guillaume returns to Dreamland with Kirby's Return to Dreamland. Where he was before is a major point of discussion. He also has a look at Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Rings of Fate, but we're more interested in examining the Japanese interest in cat herding. Greg has divination powers, and he also has thoughts on SteamWorld Heist for Wii U. Jon didn't have much to speak about. He was out of town all week and saw a concert; it was good. End of New Business.

We follow our break with Listener Mail. Topics covered: the versions of Breath of the Jon, what stray puppies are in Jon's Wii U backlog, and Jon's advice for someone who isn't excited about Wii U games anymore. The rest of us are here too, but Jon's aura contaminates this segment from the jump. You can have our breath down your neck by sending us an email.

We will be recording our RetroActive on Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom on March 2, less than an hour before the Switch launch! If you want to contribute to an episode that will sound weirdly out of place, you can post your thoughts in the official thread.

Time: 1'55"33
Outro: Dragon Quest VIII - Poet's World (Moonshadow Land)
I could die tomorrow: Two feet of snow in 24 hours seems a little excessive, even in Canada.

Makonero

So I just started playing Princess Tomato (cost me a whole ten dollars since I had no leftover cash and you can't spend less, thanks guys) and wow, this is made for beginners.

I can't wait to hear all the Percy jokes. PRESS PERCY TO PERCY

Ondore

This week's episode features an illegal amount of Kutar. (Though to be fair, that could be any amount.)
https://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/44125/episode-510-kutar-hero-on-tour
Episode 510 "Kutar Hero: On Tour!" said:
It's the gray days of winter, and besides playing some SNES games or viciously murdering people in a fictionalized Japan, we don't have a lot of New Business. Instead, we decide to go all-in on emails.

In the first half of the show we nickel-and-dime our Zelda experience, name our favorite Nintendo console, and inflate our bodies when feeling like we need to laugh, cry, love, or be angry. After the break, things get significantly less stupid; we talk about a potential 3DS successor, the rumored GameCube Virtual Console, and finally getting to play a 2D Nintendo platformer online. You can be our wonderful Yura-chara by inflating us an email.

We're two weeks from Guillaume's RetroActive on Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom. James is already laying the groundwork for Gui to take the blame if it goes poorly. Expect it to be James' idea if it goes well. You can help the cause by contributing to the Talkback thread.

Time: 1'54"01
Outro: Splat2n - Inkoming [Wet Floor]
Why all emails: James is saving his Ogre Battle 64 dissertation for next week

OMG Aero

I'm incredibly disappointed James didn't use the Kutar email as an excuse to invent some fake names and do a Real Or Fake Kutar Game quiz with everyone else.

Top Bottom