• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rage at Rage Reviews Thread

Lime said:
So; outdated gameplay, 10 hour long campaign, and technical bugs reminiscent of 90's era PC-gaming? And the game took SEVEN YEARS to make?

There are no words...
Most of the time when a game takes 7 years to make it's not a good sign.

There are pretty few exceptions not named Blizzard or Valve.

Anyway, color me unsurprised. With the incompetent technical issues cropping up all over the place, it seems like id can't even nail down their supposed area of expertise. The studio is old and tired. They don't make dominant games, they don't make dominant engines, what exactly are they doing?

Sullichin

RAGE shines best in the indoor environments, where texture pop in is less of an issue and you're actually using the weapons and fighting against appropriately-reacting AI. The RPG elements, ie "talk to person A who tells you to talk to person B" are just filler to get to the next area. The racing is fun.

Anyway, the shooting and AI bodes well for Doom 4.

I'd love to see Rage's technical superiority + Fallout 3's RPG depth & story + Borderlands loot system and co-op! With vehicles.

It would be the greatest apocalyptic RPG/Shooter ever!!!

the RAGE backlash is making my stomach turn. Differences of opinions are cool, but just shit-canning RAGE because of the popular groundswell is annoying. This game is one of the most polished games I've ever played. Quirks? sure. Perfect? No. Still haven't played a game with A.I. this good since Halo 1, nor have I played a game with such a diverse and well-crafted list of activities to indulge in when you're not shooting something.

Maybe not GOTY, but sure as hell one of the best games to come out this year. Minimum 8.5 score. Also, where's this 'old-school' (negatively implied) game design that people keep talking about? It's not open world, true, but as I've been playing open-world FPS games lately, the design is pretty much the same. Basically: cinematic to brief rest area, to big open sandbox battle OR, the Modern Warfare style battle of attrition where you're powering through until walk you cross the invisible trigger that turns off the endless spam wave of enemies until your next BIG MIND BLOW SET PIECE WOWOWOW!!

Rage is, if anything, one of the more refreshing recent approaches to FPS design. Enemies constantly keep you moving as they scale, retreat, attack, advance CONSTANTLY. Also, using weapons is incredibly satisfying.

It's a VERY solid FPS game with lite-RPG elements to glue it all together. Why somebody would want this game to be more FALLOUT or BORDERLANDS is beyond me. If anything, it has really got me salivating for SKYRIM, but I love RAGE for what it is.

My biggest complaint so far? Id and Bethesda haven't yet announced any cool new campaign expansion DLC to introduce new WASTELAND enemies and missions. The world and mythology is potentially pretty damn huge, and I'm ravenous for any announcements. Let the other AAA games have all of the multiplayer! RAGE is certainly satisfying my single player campaign fix...

BlackBanditSho said:
the RAGE backlash is making my stomach turn. Differences of opinions are cool, but just shit-canning RAGE because of the popular groundswell is annoying. This game is one of the most polished games I've ever played. Quirks? sure. Perfect? No. Still haven't played a game with A.I. this good since Halo 1, nor have I played a game with such a diverse and well-crafted list of activities to indulge in when you're not shooting something.

Maybe not GOTY, but sure as hell one of the best games to come out this year. Minimum 8.5 score. Also, where's this 'old-school' (negatively implied) game design that people keep talking about? It's not open world, true, but as I've been playing open-world FPS games lately, the design is pretty much the same. Basically: cinematic to brief rest area, to big open sandbox battle OR, the Modern Warfare style battle of attrition where you're powering through until walk you cross the invisible trigger that turns off the endless spam wave of enemies until your next BIG MIND BLOW SET PIECE WOWOWOW!!

Rage is, if anything, one of the more refreshing recent approaches to FPS design. Enemies constantly keep you moving as they scale, retreat, attack, advance CONSTANTLY. Also, using weapons is incredibly satisfying.

It's a VERY solid FPS game with lite-RPG elements to glue it all together. Why somebody would want this game to be more FALLOUT or BORDERLANDS is beyond me. If anything, it has really got me salivating for SKYRIM, but I love RAGE for what it is.

My biggest complaint so far? Id and Bethesda haven't yet announced any cool new campaign expansion DLC to introduce new WASTELAND enemies and missions. The world and mythology is potentially pretty damn huge, and I'm ravenous for any announcements. Let the other AAA games have all of the multiplayer! RAGE is certainly satisfying my single player campaign fix...

Bravo, I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiment.

Best PC game of the year for me thus far.

DaBuddaDa

If there is any "popular groundswell" against the game, it certainly is in no way aimed at the quality of the game, which has across-the-board fantastic reviews and a vast majority of positive impressions in the OT. It's aimed at the utterly incompetent, unplayable PC launch.

BlackBanditSho said:

I am playing it on the 360 so i don't know if it is different for console but outside of the game being beautiful and the enemies moving in new ways, the AI is nothing to be amazed by. One easy barometer of game AI is adaptability. Meaning that they should be a threat at any distance. I find myself having a decent shoot out from afar but if you get uber aggressive the AI doesn't cope and all that is left behind is utter destruction. A shotgun and a wingstick? Ran into a room and took out 7 people without sweating.

So far my complaints about this game is that it doesn't do much well outside of graphics and the core mechanic of shooting someone in the face. The story isn't that engrossing, character development is nonexistant, exploration feels boring and this isn't after reading some review. This my opinion after playing the game.

Rage seems mediocre. A polished game in terms of visuals and shooting but no real driving motivator. In that sense it is less than fallout 3 and boderlands because in those games there are goals you can shoot for.

FieryBalrog said:

Anyway, color me unsurprised. With the incompetent technical issues cropping up all over the place, it seems like id can't even nail down their supposed area of expertise. The studio is old and tired. They don't make dominant games, they don't make dominant engines, what exactly are they doing?

Most of the time when a game takes that long the developer is creating a new engine and has no direct bearing on quality.

FieryBalrog said:

ID is a John Carmack pet project maybe.

aeolist

Banned
This is going to be another one of those Crysis-type games that gets panned by everyone who never played it, isn't it?

Can't put the game down....such a blast once the technical issues were ironed out. I still cannot get past the animations and gun play. Seeing things run around and jump off walls and swing around never gets old.

DaBuddaDa said:
If there is any "popular groundswell" against the game, it certainly is in no way aimed at the quality of the game, which has across-the-board fantastic reviews and a vast majority of positive impressions in the OT. It's aimed at the utterly incompetent, unplayable PC launch.

Yeah, the PC launch was fubar, true. It's just that I was playing the game all day Sunday and loving the heck out of it, then I come back to read the Tom Chick, Destructoid, and JoyStiq interviews which just annoyed the heck out of me. Mind you, i've had issues with most of the major reviews (even the positive ones) that aren't actually 'reviewing the game' but gushing over parts of it like they're talking about the best parts of a highlight reel.

At least Tom Chick's review was clear and seemed unbiased. I didn't agree with his perspective, but it was a sound one. I'm angriest at these fucking bloggers who yield their journalistic hammer irresponsibly. I'm angry at the feelings that some of these developers must have when, after working on something for so long, that is CLEARLY well-made, getting ripped apart by some knee-jerk writer looking for shock traffic and ME FIRST hits.

I really hate how much gaming journalism has changed in the past ten years, and how RAGE is the latest victim in the race to be first review shit.

Even the positive reviews annoy me. I get that audiences have short attention spans, but *most* reviewers don't even seem like they're really getting dirty with the game anymore.

I've skimmed so many reviews - and i LOVE the game - but i've yet to see people discuss things that the developers/programmers can actually CHEW on:

* How the game still feels unfinished, ending abruptly, and not scaling the enemy types in Subwaytown to match the awesome weapons that you get later on. For that matter, how Subwaytown has been generally nerfed.

* How it's easy to get lost in the environments because of a lack of clear navigation. Imagine trying to get through Dead Space's cramped and highly detailed environments without the quick nav tool. Also, running into pitch black "rooms" where the design just 'ends'? uncool.

* How there's no over world map to see where you've been or what/where you've collected your items (like the Sentry-bot jumps).

* How there's very little to do on FOOT in the Wasteland, which would encourage exploration.

* How you pretty much go to every level TWICE, and how there's very little diversity in the SEWERS.

*How the design of the game seems to have changed midway. Giant Mutants in Dead City? Cherish them while you see them because you won't see cool stuff like that anymore.

*Story? More flesh out please...

I think that the Shacknews: Weekend Confirmed podcast took a good look at the game, which was a lot better than the written and video reviews that I've seen.

Mr_eX

BlackBanditSho said:

I completly agree.

I feel like the driving in this game is getting overlooked, I'm having almost as much fun driving as I am shooting things. The multiplayer is a lot of fun too, I just wish it was more than 4 players.

I'd like to see some DLC that makes the multiplayer at least 8 players(10 would be better) and gives the card game online multiplayer.

Mr_eX said:
I completly agree.

I feel like the driving in this game is getting overlooked, I'm having almost as much fun driving as I am shooting things. The multiplayer is a lot of fun too, I just wish it was more than 4 players.

I'd like to see some DLC that makes the multiplayer at least 8 players(10 would be better) and gives the card game online multiplayer.

Driving is very fun!

BlackBanditSho said:

I completely agree with you. I'm about 8 hours in and I am having a blast!

Mr_eX said:

Yeah, the driving is great! I was kind of done with the multiplayer after I got the two achievements, though.

BlackBanditSho said:
I've skimmed so many reviews - and i LOVE the game - but i've yet to see people discuss things that the developers/programmers can actually CHEW on:

* How the game still feels unfinished, ending abruptly, and not scaling the enemy types in Subwaytown to match the awesome weapons that you get later on. For that matter, how Subwaytown has been generally nerfed.

* How it's easy to get lost in the environments because of a lack of clear navigation. Imagine trying to get through Dead Space's cramped and highly detailed environments without the quick nav tool. Also, running into pitch black "rooms" where the design just 'ends'? uncool.

* How there's no over world map to see where you've been or what/where you've collected your items (like the Sentry-bot jumps).

* How there's very little to do on FOOT in the Wasteland, which would encourage exploration.

* How you pretty much go to every level TWICE, and how there's very little diversity in the SEWERS.

*How the design of the game seems to have changed midway. Giant Mutants in Dead City? Cherish them while you see them because you won't see cool stuff like that anymore.

*Story? More flesh out please...

Clear and concise points. I agree with what you pointed out. The game isn't "horrible" or even remotely bad. But simply is missing that spark that would make it really stand out from the rest.

cametall

I've only played a few hours on the PS3 version but I find the game fun.

The only issue I have run into is a few areas having some weird kind of pop-in. The texture is there, but it is muddled a little, like I'm looking at it through a foggy window. After a second the texture becomes sharp. It mainly occurred in the first room you start in after cryostatis (or whatever it's called).

I get all giddy shooting people in the leg and watching them tumble to the floor.

Icarus

Just finished the PC version. I'd give it a solid 7.5 - 8.0, which on my scale, is quite good.

I get the criticisms, but I enjoyed the experience nonetheless.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Icarus said:
Just finished the PC version. I'd give it a solid 7.5 - 8.0, which on my scale, is quite good.

I get the criticisms, but I enjoyed the experience nonetheless.

I feel similarly, but I don't think I'd give it higher than a 7.0 on the scale of 1-10. It's a good game, but it's unfocused and there are also a lot of problems that just drag it down.

Top Bottom