• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raise the flame shield: Your "controversial" gaming opinion.

The whole "make Link a girl" is a shitty bandwagon meme that only caught on because someone thought Link looked too girly in the og reveal (which is totally fine for some reason).

Beth Cyra

With no male option in Horizon you won't play it either right?
Nope.

Again I'm on a limited budget. I focus my money on dev's who do things that speak to me. As a woman I value playing as a woman and it makes me more likely to play something.

I said along time ago the art was awful in the new Zelda and the only way id play it was if the rumors of Fem Link came true. It didn't so I'll pass.

The way that God of War 4 is chasing after The Last of Us from a stylistic level reeks of cynicism and completely turns me off. This doesn't feel like a dev wanting to tell an emotional story of a father and son, it feels like cashing in on another popular game with an established ip.

And the gameplay looks awful too. Locked in walking sections are THE WORST.

Nope.

Again I'm on a limited budget. I focus my money on dev's who do things that speak to me. As a woman I value playing as a woman and it makes me more likely to play something.

I said along time ago the art was awful in the new Zelda and the only way id play it was if the rumors of Fem Link came true. It didn't so I'll pass.

More people should vote with their wallets like you do

Dr.Social

Banned
If we want video games to be art, then we have to stop censoring them and adding our values or beliefs to the works in question. No one told Picasso how to paint. Video game companies should be the same. That means if they want to make games with nothing but blue skinned naked females then they make a game with nothing but blue skinned naked females and we let the market decide if that's something the market wants. It's capitalism and it needs to be allowed to work without societal restrictions. If another company has a problem with blue skinned females in the buff and they make a game with nothing but orange males in the buff then it is what it is and we let the market decide if that will be successful. In short the market gets to decide what is successful and what isn't. Let the companies make what they want without society bashing on them for not being "inclusive."

"Society bashing" on a game is literally the free market at work. Art isn't free from criticism, never has been and never will be.

I'm going to make a thread about this in a couple of days, but I absolutely believe Aonuma's comments about they couldn't figure out what to do with Zelda and Link as to why there couldn't be a female playable character were in relation to THAT SPECIFIC GAME. As in they realized all the rumors and desire for a female character, thought about it, decided Link was a boy so it would have to be Zelda, but couldn't retroactively switch that around by the point the rumors started (after the initial trailer).

Likewise, I believe he wants to have a game with Zelda as the main character and within the next couple of titles we will get it.

Nosgotham

The new Zelda will have the biggest backlash yet once people notice they're just playing that same old open world that "sucks". Game that people who don't only own Nintendo systems have been playing for the last 10 years or so.

that is simply ridiculous. youve been doing the shit in that trailer for ten years? please explain.

I'm going to make a thread about this in a couple of days, but I absolutely believe Aonuma's comments about they couldn't figure out what to do with Zelda and Link as to why there couldn't be a female playable character were in relation to THAT SPECIFIC GAME. As in they realized all the rumors and desire for a female character, thought about it, decided Link was a boy so it would have to be Zelda, but couldn't retroactively switch that around by the point the rumors started (after the initial trailer).

Likewise, I believe he wants to have a game with Zelda as the main character and within the next couple of titles we will get it.

That's a very charitable reading of his commentary. Not wrong, but certainly not how I read it.

I hope they do get around to a game with Zelda as the protagonist. It's my dream...

gelf

GameCube-level graphics are good enough. I think Nintendo had the right idea not to compete with Sony and Microsoft in terms of console power the past few gens.

I'm in the odd halfway position where I pretty much agree with Nintendo's power isn't everything philosophy as I've been happy with how games look since the best of the Dreamcast but at the same time I don't really support the company with my money much as I'm not a huge fan of the vast majority of their output. Because of that I do need third parties to support the system if its going to be of value to me, and that may require more powerful systems. Every Nintendo system I've ever owned is 90% because of third party releases. If they can't make a system attractive to them then it's unlikely I'll jump on board.

I can understand how Nintendo fans feel though. In an alternate universe where it was Sega putting out a "low powered" system and filling it with the quality arcade style games they used to pump out consistently then I'd be all over that and wouldn't care about the power differential or lack of 3rd party support.

I love watching E3 trailers despite knowing that the games A) are likely to be delayed and B) probably won't be half as cool as the trailers make them out to be.

After playing XCOM 2 a ton at launch, I would say it was an excellent game. Very good, but with issues. Trying to replay it now, I find the tightly spaced enemy pods just ruins it for me. The soldiers are highly mobile in this one, but you can't fucking advance or flank without there being a HIGH chance that another pod is just out of sight and ready to activate, so you end up just holding your ground as usual. Blowing up cover from a distance, and shooting from your cover spot.

Haines

Banned
Nope.

If you are on a limited budget just buy games on sale or with price cuts. Obviously you will probably have to avoid Zelda BC it won't cheap for a long time. I can see the same being for horizon.

It doesn't make sense to me why it's so massively important to so many people that the Legend of Zelda of all games must have a female character option when Link is barely a character and is also one of the most androgynous looking male protagonists in videogames, ESPECIALLY in the new game.

It seems to me that the Link in Breath of the Wild, though technically male, would still be easier for female players to identify with than the majority of burly mandude protags we see in so many AAA games these days.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild looks like an 8 year old game, the world is mainly devoid of interesting elements in the landscape & the combat dull, most of the "innovative" features have been seen before in other games. Most of the gameplay elements seem like what developers add when they're toying around with new mechanics before making substantial improvements & removing the busy work.

I've left this out of the other threads because if people enjoy it fair enough, but I honestly think 3/4 of the fanbase must only play Nintendo games and this is a case of....

SBDQeo5.png

There's a contraversial opinion for you, and this is coming from a day 1 Wii U owner.

Anarky

Banned
Do people genuinely believe that the only reason you can be impressed with the new Zelda is if you haven't played an open world game on another console?

sikkinixx

Here's my controversial opinion: Neogaf is insufferable when the topic of most things comes up. Fan-wise and hater-wise.

Fixed that for you. Thoughtful discussion is hard to see through the haze of frothing indignant shouting and *tisk-tisk*ing done around here sometimes.

On the topic of Zelda, I feel like they are making the game far too complex and it's a shame. I'm so fatigued with the systems on systems on systems on systems that games feel the need to have. Weapons break! You cook up recipes! Cold! Hot! Craft and sell for rupees! 100's of temples! 1% OF THE MAP ITS SO HUGE! I get Zelda had to change but the kitchen sink approach is really dampening my hopes for the game.

It's why Uncharted 4 was so refreshing. You can do (almost) everything from the start that you can at the end. No putting extra points into grip strength. No scrounging every nook in case you miss upgrade tokens. No digging up caches to get money or killing 100 birds to get an upgrade.

LordRaptor

Here's my controversial opinion: Neogaf is insufferable when the topic of Nintendo comes up. Fan-wise and hater-wise.

Its just fanboyism in general tbh; I know I'm getting sick of being told how Pc gaming is being 'fixed' by people who only play on Xbox in recent topics.

Regarding Zelda specifically, if it was shown with a different main character but everything else - artstyle included - was the same but it was called Shadow Of The Colossus: Aftermath or Fable: Wilderness a noticeable portion of the "only zelda fans like zelda" type complaints wouldn't exist. I think its surface similarities to Horizon: Zero Dawn has one particular consoles fanbases jimmies being particularly rustled.

It doesn't make sense to me why it's so massively important to so many people that the Legend of Zelda of all games must have a female character option when Link is barely a character and is also one of the most androgynous looking male protagonists in videogames, ESPECIALLY in the new game.

It seems to me that the Link in Breath of the Wild, though technically male, would still be easier for female players to identify with than the majority of burly mandude protags we see in so many AAA games these days.

I think the female Link obsession is stupid as well, but mainly because I think making Zelda the protagonist makes FAR more sense. Aonuma's limp excuses for not doing so are shit.

I really don't get why gender bending Link is preferred over making the series' namesake the main playable character--are people really still that traumatized by the CD-i games or what?

Mezoly

I really like the look of Days Gone.

I don't think that is super controversial. People who don't like zombie games where the first to complain but after the dust settle many who like that genre will play the game. I mean the trailer did well, even the usually shitty Youtube comments were pretty positive. Zombie and open world games are popular. My theory is zombie games are more popular in main stream than hardcore gaming audiences such as Reddit and Neogaf.

Doom 4 is exceptionally over-rated game that doesn't do anything better than other FPS games around. It is just an ok arena shooter with pretty terrible weapons, extremely poor gore, mind-numbing "glory kills" and no story line or anything to keep you going. Just an arena after arena with boring predictable enemies with constant health drops that make you invincible. The game has extremely poor colour pallet and everything looks the same, the ground textures are insanely bad and most environmental details are pre-historic in their graphical fidelity. Most weapons feel dull, boring and weak and some of the alpha effects on them (specifically on the plasma rifle) are beyond terrible. I am so mad at this game, SO MAD!

Well, now that I got that out of my system, the game is ok, it doesn't impress me on any front but it can be fun at times. I just can't play it for more than 30 minutes at a time, it is just too soulless.

Don't hate me, guys, ok? I don't think it was a (total) waste of money, but I expected a lot more.

I agree with a lot of this.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Do people genuinely believe that the only reason you can be impressed with the new Zelda is if you haven't played an open world game on another console?

Not to mention alot of the same open world games have already been on WiiU in some capacity, which includes the likes of AC and the batman arkham games.

And lets not forget xenoblade, its a really really dumb argument.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild looks like an 8 year old game, the world is mainly devoid of interesting elements in the landscape & the combat dull, most of the "innovative" features have been seen before in other games. Most of the gameplay elements seem like what developers add when they're toying around with new mechanics before making substantial improvements & removing the busy work.

I've left this out of the other threads because if people enjoy it fair enough, but I honestly think 3/4 of the fanbase must only play Nintendo games and this is a case of....

SBDQeo5.png

There's a contraversial opinion for you, and this is coming from a day 1 Wii U owner.

Yes to all of this. I'm fine with people being happy with the new Zelda. Just stop acting like it looks great or that it's doing all this new innovative stuff. It's standard Nintendo rehashing old ideas from other games as their own. I really wish I could play a proper new gen Zelda on a competent platform by an innovative dev.

Not to mention alot of the same open world games have already been on WiiU in some capacity, which includes the likes of AC and the batman arkham games.

And lets not forget xenoblade, its a really really dumb argument.

Both Xenoblades are boring-ass games, the latest of which was too big for its own good (much like I suspect Zelda will be) so that doesn't do much for the argument.

Hohoho, another controversial opinion.

I'm also of the opinion that the new Zelda isn't groundbreaking in any way. If the game was named "Adventures Of Thelma": Life Of The Forest and it was a new IP,no one would bat an eye. PS2 level graphics and game mechanics (Shadow of the Colossus meets Dark Cloud), empty world that makes MSGV's look like the Witcher 3, and generally nothing novel. I have no personal connection to the series so I want to believe that my opinion is unbiased. I truly believe if this game wasnt a Nintendo game no one would care.

I know I sound controversial but that's my opinion. I'm sure the game will still be fun but people are giving it "10 out of 10s" already just because Zelda is in the the title.

Steel

Banned
I think this E3 was kinda meh on the whole. There weren't any new games announcements that I was actually interested in and the games I am interested in were announced last E3 or before.

Beth Cyra

If you are on a limited budget just buy games on sale or with price cuts. Obviously you will probably have to avoid Zelda BC it won't cheap for a long time. I can see the same being for horizon.

I may well end up playing it eventually when my Brother plays it or brings it over.

I may not spend money on it, but as I said I hope the game is brilliant and sells tons and tons of copies. Just because I am not supporting it doesn't mean I want it to fail.

Please. I'm talking about the tendency for people to dismiss perfectly fine-looking games as looking like "trash" because of textures or comparatively low resolution or whatever.
Shrug

People have higher expectations and new standards for what's acceptable in a game in 2016. That's just the way things are.

GamerJM

Banned
Good enough for what? To go bankrupt? Sure.

I agree with the opinion, but I guess to elaborate if you didn't really understand, once games hit a point of Gamecube/PS2 level visuals, further improvement in graphical fidelity doesn't really have a significant effect on my enjoyment of the game. In fact, to state a more controversial opinion, I wish games would just be developed on original Xbox-level tech for the rest of eternity since that would mean shorter development times and less huge worlds that I have trouble navigating.

Melchiah

Doom 4 is exceptionally over-rated game that doesn't do anything better than other FPS games around. It is just an ok arena shooter with pretty terrible weapons, extremely poor gore, mind-numbing "glory kills" and no story line or anything to keep you going. Just an arena after arena with boring predictable enemies with constant health drops that make you invincible. The game has extremely poor colour pallet and everything looks the same, the ground textures are insanely bad and most environmental details are pre-historic in their graphical fidelity. Most weapons feel dull, boring and weak and some of the alpha effects on them (specifically on the plasma rifle) are beyond terrible. I am so mad at this game, SO MAD!

Well, now that I got that out of my system, the game is ok, it doesn't impress me on any front but it can be fun at times. I just can't play it for more than 30 minutes at a time, it is just too soulless.

Don't hate me, guys, ok? I don't think it was a (total) waste of money, but I expected a lot more.

Yeah, I tried the demo and was disappointed after all the praise I've heard.

Now here's a controversial opinion... I think Doom 3 was better.

dude

dude
Game platform exclusivity is bullshit that needs to go away and I immediately assume that anyone who argues otherwise is doing it entirely out of "fanboyism" and a need to protect their weird emotional connection to a consumer product.
In a better world, people would sound their displeasure of any product launched that is platform-exclusive, like we're seeing with VR-exclusivity.

MCN

Banned

SBDQeo5.png

I've played every GTA to death. I've played Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim to completion. I've played Fallout 3, NV and 4 to completion. I've played Just Cause 1,2 and 3 (so far only completed the first 2), and I'm also currently playing The Witcher 3.

And yet Zelda blows all of those out of the water for me, with the attention to detail and true openness in problem solving and combat. And all this in a game that is still 10 months away from release.

Trust me, I know open-world games. And I can't fucking wait to get my hands on Zelda.

SBDQeo5.png

This is an excellent post.
I'm still excited to play it, but anyone trying to pass it off as something new and special needs to get their head checked. There was a time when Zelda was defining genres, but that time has loooooong passed.

spliced

I don't like the idea that Nintendo needs to modernize their games like everyone else. Homogenizing Nintendo's game development sounds like a great way to make boring games. I want the old guard to instill into the ones taking over the values and design philosophies that has made Nintendo great. Nintendo's game development doesn't need to change they just need to transition to the next generation of developers.

Mezoly

Game platform exclusivity is bullshit that needs to go away and I immediately assume that anyone who argues otherwise is doing it entirely out of "fanboyism" and a need to protect their weird emotional connection to a consumer product.
In a better world, people would sound their displeasure of any product launched that is platform-exclusive, like we're seeing with VR-exclusivity.

Tell me a hardware product that doesn't have exclusive Software? Mac, Windows, iOS devices, Android devices, Samsung TVs and etc they all have exclusive software and apps. Exclusivity has existed since the dawn of computers and Video games. I'm not arguing it's pro consumer or anything like that but I do wonder why this question is being raised more recently by a lot of people. I can't help but feel that it coincide with the rise of PC Master Race people and the whole Valve doesn't like exclusivity therefore Steam and Valve "fanboys" are the one who started raising that question recently because of their emotional connection to a consumer product.

Melchiah

Tell me a hardware product that doesn't have exclusive Software? Mac, Windows, iOS devices, Android devices, Samsung TVs and etc they all have exclusive software and apps. Exclusivity has existed since the dawn of computers and Video games. I'm not arguing it's pro consumer or anything like that but I do wonder why this question is being raised more recently by a lot of people. I can't help but feel that it coincide with the rise of PC Master Race people and the whole Valve doesn't like exclusivity therefore Steam and Valve "fanboys" are the one who started raising that question recently because of their emotional connection to a consumer product.

Not to mention, that I don't recall seeing similar comments about Steam exclusives, that don't appear on consoles.

BCole19

Banned
I don't understand the whole anime culture. The books, games, movies, etc. Stuff just weirds me out.

Thing is just not my bag, baby.

Top Bottom