• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raise the flame shield: Your "controversial" gaming opinion.

Azoo

Neo Member
Sonic Unleashed was a pretty dang good game. The Werehog wasn't a good idea but it was executed well, and the boosty gotta-go-fast gameplay was at it's best in that game; honestly some of the best gameplay in a 3D Sonic to date.

Plus, the game had a very obvious amount of love put into the hub worlds and visual detail (everywhere from environment design to animation). Also, the story was a huge step up in comparison to how bad Sonic stories got. Game had seriously good polish for the most part and was easily one of the prettiest games of last gen by a wide margin.

Colors and Generations actually felt kinda weak in comparison to it too. Still good games, but honestly not as great as people make them out to be. They feel really... lacking, to say the least. Like there's not much replayability or content.

sqwarlock

Horizon: Zero Dawn is gonna be all flash and no substance. It looks pretty, but it's gonna be a repetitive and shallow game. It'll sell millions and won't deserve the sales.

Replace Horizon: Zero Dawn with The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. I've just been really cold on Nintendo for the last couple of years and this game certainly didn't warm me up. I will definitely skip the NX as my WiiU is sitting unused, gathering dust just like my Wii did before I sold it to a friend.

Also, by the same token, me not liking the game doesn't mean it's up to you to change my mind on it or the NX. I see too many fans trying to force their games/systems on people that have said they don't want them.

"I don't want a PS4."
"But why?"
"None of the games on it interest me."
"Well what types of games do you like then?"

Why do you care that they don't want a PS4 or a WiiU or an Xbone? Maybe that's my controversial opinion: People are free to make their own decisions when it comes to games and gaming systems.

GamerJM

Banned
"I don't want a PS4."
"But why?"
"None of the games on it interest me."
"Well what types of games do you like then?"

Why do you care that they don't want a PS4 or a WiiU or an Xbone? Maybe that's my controversial opinion: People are free to make their own decisions when it comes to games and gaming systems.

I think I agree, but to expand upon it, I find this annoying in general. Not just with particular consoles, but whenever someone says that they're disappointed with modern gaming, people always assume that you're just ignorant about what's out there or you don't like gaming as much as before because you're older now. Like, I play dozens of games a year, ranging from AAA stuff, to imports, to indie games, and I still think the lineup of games releasing right now is significantly inferior to basically every year of the 2000s. And I should be completely free to think that without having played every single game that releases.

Chaos17

Watch dog 2 E3 trailer didn't get me hyped while I like the hacking ideas the trailer just didn't appealed to me at all and even the gameplay little demo. I wished to have Sleeping dogs 2 instead. I miss the close ranged combat, it was awesome.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I honestly think that out of all the Zeldas I play, Skyward Sword is flatout the best and my number one favorite, easily. For me it has heart in it, and the way they displayed the connection between Link and Zelda was very endearing, and frankly it's a major cause of why the game became the first time where I was actually really, really motivated to push through the adventure and see it to the end.

Unfortunately many, fans or otherwise, hated it.

What's even more controversial is I even like the motion controls implementation in it. Never had a problem with it.

ike_

I honestly think that out of all the Zeldas I play, Skyward Sword is flatout the best and my number one favorite, easily. For me it has heart in it, and the way they displayed the connection between Link and Zelda was very endearing, and frankly it's a major cause of why the game became the first time where I was actually really, really motivated to push through the adventure and see it to the end.

Unfortunately many, fans or otherwise, hated it.

What's even more controversial is I even like the motion controls implementation in it. Never had a problem with it.

Welp, never thought I'd fight a banana to the death. But this is how it ends.

Almond

I don't understand the sudden "Link should be a girl" discussion around here. I wouldn't really care all that much, but I don't see the point or why Legend of Zelda was targeted.

I get wanting more female lead/playable characters (I want them and play as them when I can), but I'd much rather have a main game or even a spin-off where you play as Zelda/Sheik. That sounds WAY more interesting than "Oh, and Link can be a girl now, everything else is the same though". I like Link as a character, and like playing as Link.

It really feels like it was the "cool" thing to do, and everyone jumped on the "LINK SHOULD BE GIRL" train.

I loved Uncharted 1 from beginning to end. Found Uncharted 2 to be really good but dragged far too long towards the last few chapters. Uncharted 3 was actually really good and Uncharted 4 had some great areas and some fucking boring areas and was the weakest of the 4 games (I haven't sunk much time into the Vita version, but what I played was boring and not good at all).

Mario 3D world on wiiu is easily the most overrated Mario game released. The 2d mario released at launch on wiiu was a far far FAR better game.

Halo 5 is, far and away the best game in the halo franchise due to it controlling so beautifully. Everything feels so fluid and game plays so damn well. I'm not a big Halo fan at all but 5 was damn fun.

I actually just noticed a pattern with this next statement but here goes- the only good Jak and Daxter game is the original. The best Crash Bandicoot is the original and my fav Uncharted is the original... Seems like I'm a big fan of original Naughty Dog games in their respective series!

Also, The Last Of Us is a pretty good game, but is not a great game by any stretch of the imagination. In fact, that it won ANY game of the year awards is absolutely baffling to me.

Mega Man 3 is easily the best Mega Man game EVER! Shits on part 2 from so far up its ridiculous.

Every Killzone is fucking trite. The PS3 versions look amazing but are hopeless games. The PS4 game is probably the worst and most boring game I've played this far this gen.

Anyway, think I'veissed off enough with my unpopular opinions...!

I don't understand the sudden "Link should be a girl" discussion around here. I wouldn't really care all that much, but I don't see the point or why Legend of Zelda was targeted.

I get wanting more female lead/playable characters (I want them and play as them when I can), but I'd much rather have a main game or even a spin-off where you play as Zelda/Sheik. That sounds WAY more interesting than "Oh, and Link can be a girl now, everything else is the same though". I like Link as a character, and like playing as Link.

It really feels like it was the "cool" thing to do, and everyone jumped on the "LINK SHOULD BE GIRL" train.

I don't like this idea either, IMO you want a female protagonist make Zelda the lead, and make Link the hapless prince, i would play this...

Clockwork5

I'm okay with console manufacturers, publishers and developers of all sizes doing what they need to do to make as much money as possible.

DLC
Micro transactions
F2p
Episodic releases
4 year console cycles
Exclusives

While I may not participate in all of it, I'm totally fine with it existing. If people buying season passes, random loot boxes or costumes helps fund the next game, I'm not going to protest.

If you don't play on platforms from at least two different publishers with preferably some up-to-dateness (phones don't count), your opinion as a hardcore gamer is hardly legitimate. I have nothing against casual gamers and that's obviously who I talk to the most in real life. That's why when I go online to discuss games as a hobby, I'm not interested in fanboyism and other narrowminded perspectives. I.e. I have a hard time respecting what someone has to say about games if the same person only moves between Sony ecosystems, or has a GotY list solely consisting of Nintendo exclusives, or if said person's spending 99% of his gaming time on a single online game, etc. A refusal to play old games is also something I can not take part in.

Anarky

Banned
The gaming community's obsession with graphics can be really obnoxious at times. There are people who legit think TLG looks no better than an early ps3 game and that the new Zelda looks like a GCN/Ps2 game because they don't have 'uber grafx'.

Aters

I just got this crazy idea and I saw this thread so I have to say it: I think playing handheld is more comfortable than playing home console games.

Ottobit

Banned
Uncharted 4 > 2 > 1 >3
CoD > Battlefield, aside from Bad Company 2
Xbox controller is terrible.
The Xbox One is ugly on the outside but has a beautiful UI.
The PS4 is pretty on the outside but has an absolutely disgusting UI.
Halo is terribly overrated and I can't wait until it finally dies.
Bungie & Valve are 2 of the worst developers.
Mass Effect 2 was the worst of the series, and 3 was the best.
Dragon Age: Inquisition is the best Dragon Age.
Titanfall is the best shooter to come out since BC2.
Alan Wake was one of the top 5 best games last gen in almost every regard.
All sports games suck. I'm excited for Steep, though.
Female protagonists usually suck and are terribly lame, and Aloy is proof.
Overwatch is possibly the worst game Blizzard's ever made.
Far Cry needs to end. They're unbearable now.
Scorpio/Neo are great ideas but will be underwhelming & disappointing in every aspect.

These are the ones I can think of.

BouncyFrag

Seeing the Last Guardian at e3 reminded me to check out Ico and within an hour I realized that it already had a spiritual successor: Uncharted 4. In both games you have to wander around aimlessly looking for ways to get you and a buddy up a ledge, or across broken bridge, or what have you. Uncharted 4 did take things to the next level by adding wheels to the crates and its something sorely missed in Ico. The melee combat in both games leaves much to be desired and Ico's influence is clear as day when Nathan is fighting Nadine and all you can do is swing your arms around just as ineffectively as a young boy with horns who is die hard Hacksaw Jim Duggan fan swinging around 2x4. All there is to do now is hope that Naughty Dog adds an 'Ico Legacy' game mode to UC4 so we can hold Sam's hand throughout their wild adventures.

Oh, didn't know about this. Can get this off my chest.

Cant stand persona games, and im a huge jrpg, turn based fan. And persona 5, looks like its trying to hard to be flashy.

Uncharted's rock climbing is boring. You are pushing up and right while scripted "intensity" is going on around you that in no way affects anything.

Ocarina of time is dull and boring.

I didn't mind playing as Raiden in MGS2 and thought making Snake a side character made him more badass.

Rellik

Uncharted 4 > 2 > 1 >3
CoD > Battlefield, aside from Bad Company 2
Xbox controller is terrible.
The Xbox One is ugly on the outside but has a beautiful UI.
The PS4 is pretty on the outside but has an absolutely disgusting UI.
Halo is terribly overrated and I can't wait until it finally dies.
Bungie & Valve are 2 of the worst developers.
Mass Effect 2 was the worst of the series, and 3 was the best.
Dragon Age: Inquisition is the best Dragon Age.
Titanfall is the best shooter to come out since BC2.
Alan Wake was one of the top 5 best games last gen in almost every regard.
All sports games suck. I'm excited for Steep, though.
Female protagonists usually suck and are terribly lame, and Aloy is proof.
Overwatch is possibly the worst game Blizzard's ever made.
Far Cry needs to end. They're unbearable now.
Scorpio/Neo are great ideas but will be underwhelming & disappointing in every aspect.

These are the ones I can think of.

All those people who do enjoy Far Cry are no longer allowed to play future versions because you don't like it?

Uncharted's rock climbing is boring. You are pushing up and right while scripted "intensity" is going on around you that in no way affects anything.

Ocarina of time is dull and boring.

I didn't mind playing as Raiden in MGS2 and thought making Snake a side character made him more badass.

Well, two outta three ain't bad. I still enjoy Ocarina.

Palmer27

Kojima is a man-child pervert who had one entertainingly written game (MGS1), had one innovative idea (MG), and once actually made 1/2 a good game (MGS3).
Bethesda have yet to develop or publish a good game.

Some Nobody

Here's a controversial opinion: Uncharted 3 is the best Uncharted. Stupid climbing is kept to a minimum, melee system was best, and you could toss back grenades. Plus you spend half the game traveling with a full crew, something I wish the other games did more of.

Scourge

Neo Member
Bloodborne is better than Dark Souls 1.

I will say I love them and consider them equals. Both amazing games, and I've never seen cosmic horror done so damn well. (Still needing to read Lovecraft, though...)

I guess the only controversial thing I have to say right now is that Horizon: Zero Dawn looks really boring, and I don't understand the hype for it.

EhoaVash

The witcher 3 was boring to play

Boring story, boring dialog, and exploring the world was also verrry boring. Only thing I liked about it was the graphics. Game wasn't fun. Hell even xenoblade Chronicles X was more fun to play than the witcher 3 even if it's story and characters were shit, exploring was very fun.

I enjoy online only games, that are pseudo MMOs or "shared world" games like Destiny. I love games that are community based, and require the need to be social and connected.

Its why Sea of Thieves is my most anticipated new game.

This next confession is really only applicable to gaf, but I LOVE meaty, long, open games. Much more so than focused, narrative driven games. Give me Xenoblade X, Witcher 3, Horizon, the new Zelda over UC, New Tomb Raider, or the new GoW any day.

I mean I get it though. Gaf is full of old farts who don't have the time to invest in long games.

Auctopus

I enjoy online only games, that are pseudo MMOs or "shared world" games like Destiny. I love games that are community based, and require the need to be social and connected.

This next confession is really only applicable to gaf, but I LOVE meaty, long, open games. Much more so than focused, narrative driven games. Give me Xenoblade X, Witcher 3, Horizon, the new Zelda over UC, New Tomb Raider, or the new GoW any day.

I mean I get it though. Gaf is full of old farts who don't have the time to invest in long games.

This thread has become really tame.

AudioEppa

• If Sony never created PlayStation video games would have died off a long time ago and despite people's fear, the industry would be better off if they were the only non PC platform on the market, with the other two going third party.

• Kojima and David Cage's movie inspired vision years ago is the reason why video games are much better today, with other developers like Naughty Dog who look past the same old gameplay, to focus heavily on cinematic storytelling. And that is what will keep video games popular years from now.

• Graphics don't have to be photo realistic to be good, but gtfoh if you're still doing 8bit or 16bit gfx.

• A lot Japanese developers should start copying western developers like Naughty Dog and Telltale to give their storytelling a better play experience, it would truly be like playing a anime tv series or a high production anime movie

• Japanese publishers need to stop being cheap ass bastards and provide a english dub track to every game released in NA.

LordRaptor

• If Sony never created PlayStation video games would have died off a long time ago and despite people's fear, the industry would be better off if they were the only non PC platform on the market, with the other two going third party.

That's definitely a, uh, opinion.
Coming fresh off "Get a second job" generation, to boot.

Ottobit

Banned
All those people who do enjoy Far Cry are no longer allowed to play future versions because you don't like it?

1. I never said I disliked it. Primal was a great game, and probably my favorite aside from the original & 3. They're just not stand out games anymore, although they're enjoyable. 2. I never said anything like people should be no longer allowed to play it. This is just an opinion I have. If it ever became reality, I would happy, but at the same time I'd feel for all the huge fans of those games, which I doubt there are very many of relative to the fan bases of other games like it.

Some Nobody

The new Tomb Raider is a meaty, open world-focused game though. The last one was pretty long too tbh.

It's less "I have a minority opinion" and more "This is where I can state my opinion as aggressively as I want, right?"

I use it more like a "I can state my opinion without having 50 people jump down my throat" thread.

dude

dude
If you don't play on platforms from at least two different publishers with preferably some up-to-dateness (phones don't count), your opinion as a hardcore gamer is hardly legitimate. I have nothing against casual gamers and that's obviously who I talk to the most in real life. That's why when I go online to discuss games as a hobby, I'm not interested in fanboyism and other narrowminded perspectives. I.e. I have a hard time respecting what someone has to say about games if the same person only moves between Sony ecosystems, or has a GotY list solely consisting of Nintendo exclusives, or if said person's spending 99% of his gaming time on a single online game, etc. A refusal to play old games is also something I can not take part in.

So anyone without enough money to spare on several gaming hardware is voided of their opinion "as a hardcore gamer"? WTF? Having only one platform does not necessarily make one a fanboy.
As for the narrow mindedness - What about someone who played a lot of games, but has their GoTY list consist entirely of Nintendo games because those are the games they like? Liking one type of game so narrowly can show a dangerous level of fixation, but I guess if the person can argue his choices well there no reason to invalidate his opinion.

I agree about old games 100%. In fact, I'm a little pissed about all those remakes and remasters for old games. Stop fucking shitting on gaming's heritage. Those games should be considered as coherent wholes. Their graphics were created with the tools of the time, let me and people enjoy the work and labour that went into making the best use of those tools. People need to play the games as they ARE, in their original vision and experience, not in their reworked image made to fit current audiences. I say this even if the new graphics improve the look pr gameplay of the game, like in the case of Day of the Tentacle.

Mollymauk

Performance issues really don't bother me. Framerate has to be pretty lousy for me to notice. Anyone saying 1080P/60 or go home is super anal and a nitpicker.

The new Tomb Raider is a meaty, open world-focused game though. The last one was pretty long too tbh.
Oh is it?

People kept saying it was trying to be Uncharted so I assumed it was a linear game with boring setpieces every now and then where you hold up to climb something.

I still have it on my drive from GWG so I guess I should play it...

I really like
Final Fantasy 8,
and I always have.

That's not really controversial lol

Yeah it has dissenters and people that dislike the drawing system but I don't think it's some largely frowned upon installment.

Didn't it receive excellent reviews too? In a lot of ways it's a very strong and unique FF.

Kaji AF16

-Videogames have already (perhaps during the seventh generation) reached the same cultural significance than music, films and books, but are still considered less "noble" and less "sophisticated" even by an inmense proportion of its own demographic base. I would love to research this from a sociological perspective.

-Halo: Reach is the best in the series and has one of the best campaigns created for a FPS. Until Reach, the narrative in Halo was much weaker.

-TLOU is colossally overrated. Very good game, but not a generation-defining one.

-Half Life 1 was a solid game for its time. Half Life 2 is grossly overrated and aged very badly. Valve´s legendary reputation will eventually become a symbolic burden for them (for example, in a somewhat comparable fashion to Metallica´s apparent inability to match the quality of their first records).

OCD Guy

Most of the games on the PS4 and Xbox One this generation have been shit. I can count on one hand what the good games have been (and ironically most of them have been remasters of games last gen)

The most enjoyable titles have been on the Nintendo Wii U.

Also while many people have criticised the lack of voice comms on the Wii U, I personally think it's the right way to go. Have you heard what the typical online gamer says on the mic? It's not essential listening, put it that way.

Can you imagine playing Mario Kart 8 online and having to listen to someone say they want to rape your mom because you hit them with a red shell.

I also can't wait for open world games with rpg elements to die off. I'm sick of the padding, and filler.

Top Bottom