• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raise the flame shield: Your "controversial" gaming opinion.

NeededSleep

Kingdom Hearts:
Cant figure out the hype behind it. Played the first and wow, what a horrible game. Still think this wouldn't of sold if it didn't have SE's name on it.

Pokemon:
Awesome concept, but ffs go somewhere with the series already.

FFX
Worst game in the series that i have played. Last one was 12 for console(great game, horrible main character)

MMOs
I love them! I love the concept, yet i hate the direction they all have been fallowing the last few years. I am hoping GW2 or another breaks the mold soon.

MGS
Storyline. The first was great, then i ended up throwing up my arms and walking away from the series somewhere in MGS2.

Nintendo.
-They have an outstanding cast of characters, yet they dont do shit with them outside of Smash bros. I feel like they put serious effort behind each game, yet leave the polish out. Haven't felt the urge to finish all the little secrets and gather everything in the worlds they offer since Mario 64, or OoT.
-The Wii, Hate the freaking motion controller.
-NOA's decision to not bring a good amount of titles to NA.

Microsoft:
Ditch the fucking xboxlive charge already.

Sony
-Where is LoD2?
-The lack of encouragement from Sony to publish outside of Japan.

<3
-Resonance of Fate, Xenoblade Chronicles, Darksoulds, Demon Souls, The Witcher 1,2, Radiant Historia, Persona 3 Portable. I have felt are the best things to come out of this generation of gaming.

Akainu

Suda 51 is a horrible game designer and has no business working in gaming. The only thing he has ever made that was below average at best was No More Heroes. It'd be like if someone made Dead Leaves into a bad video game. Sure a bunch off crazy shit would happen and all that, but it would still be a bad video game.

ryushe

Journey has simply amazing visuals and a soundtrack that I'd pay good money to listen to all day, but its not a very good "game"
I agree. Easily one of the best experiences I've ever had, but it's not a very good "Video game."

My controversial opinion?
While going through the Vita thread, I just remembered something that's been on my mind for years: I don't get Lumines. I think it's vastly overrated and just not a fun game in the slightest. The fact that it has this fan-following and reverence boggles my mind much like the aforementioned Sonic the hedgehogs existence.

Demon's Souls isn't hard just boring (this also goes for Dark Souls).

Nintendo makes the same games over and over.

Art games are routinely overrated.

Nintendo should stop making hardware.

Heavy Rain is shit.

Microsoft Game Studios is where developers go to die.

Touch controls, voice controls, and motion controls need to die as video game control mechanisms.

Catherine is a downloadable puzzle game wrapped in an anime.

Peter Molyneux is a snake oil salesman.

Japanese game stories haven't been good since voice acting became ubiquitous.

Derrick01

Banned

Heavy Rain is shit.

Touch controls, voice controls, and motion controls need to die as video game control mechanisms.

Wow you're like my doppelganger or something. I agree with every one of those.

Building off of my previous opinion: Game music shiuld be more Melodic and less complex and Ambiental, think Level 1-1, not Stravinsky.

Also, The Fratboys' obsession with power fantasies and fear of colours and complex (or perhaps simple) emotions should not be pandered by anyone in the industrie, they should be forced to like other things.

And building off of that: Just because the West makes more money, and is more acclaimed In the west, It doesnt mean that those games Are better, Quality is not defined by popular opinion, popularity is.

Heavy Rain is shit.

i conclude that you have no creative vision ( even when you play ) and are too grounded in reality to enjoy those games.

i do agree on molyneux however

AHA-Lambda

I liked MGS4, Mass Effect 2 and didn't think Mass Effect 3's ending was THAT bad.

I think Ico is the most overrated game I have ever played in my life, and Red Dead Redemption being the most overrated game this generation.

I play almost every game for the story: it may not be very good or well written but I just want to lose myself in a crafted world. Yes even military FPS and fighting games.

I have tried to get into Oblivion on 4 seperate occassions and just can't do it!

iOS>handhelds

Bad Company 2 >>>>> Battlefield 3

Games/Franchises I just didn't "get":
Final Fantasy, Zelda, 3D Metroid, Limbo, Braid

I wish I could get more into fighting, strategy and racing games and Demon's Souls/Dark Souls but I suck at them.

I hate arty games that try way too hard to be deep and meaningful for the sake of it and just end up being pretentious and shallow (see ico, limbo and braid above).

EA are waaay worse than activision. At least they don't do online passes.

Capcom hasn't realeased a single good game this generation, except their overpriced HD collections. And can match EA for being just as anti-consumer.

Heavy Rain is shit.

Can't disagree with these either.

EDIT: forgot one: I don't like blizzard games. I respect them as a developer and wish i could get into their stuff but I just don't like any of the genres they make games for.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Just an observation:

Looking back over the thread, a trend that pops out is lots of people heavily disliking a game because they played it and though it was "way overhyped".

I wonder how much dislike of many games stems from transferred bitterness at the presumption that lots of people have the "wrong" opinion about it (they think it's better than it should be).

I wonder what many folks would think of "controversial" games if they could go in without a pre-loaded smirk at lots of people saying the game is the best ever.

ME3 was better then 2 and the ending was good.

And no i am not trolling, it's my opinion.

I agree with this. It sucked trawling through all the shit memes to get to any decent posts after everyone finished the game.

Loved the game, playing through my insanity run now and its great!

TheNatural

My Member!
Not worthy of a new thread, but I just wanted to comment on what a great start 2012 has had for gaming:

- The most ignored apathetic launch of any major videogame company's system since probably the Saturn with the PS Vita

- Mass Effect 3's ending/DLC stuff was so bad that Amazon and then other companies are literally giving REFUNDS for how bad it is

- Capcom can't spell a fucking title right on a videogame cover, then proceeds to charge people $20 to unlock chracters in a game on the disc because they're greedy fucks

- Nintendo's biggest first half release's control scheme is so cramp inducing they had to include a fucking stand with the game it's so bad

Great start to the year videogame companies.

Joysticks don't really help you at fighting games. They make them more fun. Don't believe any opinions to the contrary.

That's odd. They make them less fun for me. Asking me to QCF on a joystick is like asking me to perform brain surgery. And if I can't get the game to perform in a split second for me, that makes it immeasurably less fun. On a pad, however, I can scoop like lightning.

BHZ Mayor

Joysticks don't really help you at fighting games. They make them more fun. Don't believe any opinions to the contrary.

With a stick, I'm able to play longer stretches without worrying about blisters from constantly having to rub my thumb across a d-pad, and it also makes for more accurate motions. Not to mention that having all the attack buttons in one area instead of 4 face buttons and the shoulder buttons is also an improvement. I consider those things to be very helpful for even the crappiest players solely by virtue of convenience.

The batman games are completely overrated.

PAC Man CE DX has the best level design of any game this generation.

There hasnt been a good Halo game since 2

nyong

Banned
Next gen will be the last gen for Sony. Vita will flop and Japan will give PS4 a lukewarm reception basically forcing them to turn towards the West for help.

iOS gaming will kill off dedicated handhelds in the long run.

Vita is already a flop.

Steam will get pushed out of the blockbusters not entirely unlike Netflix as publishers turn to their own DD solutions for increased margins.

Bungie has zero technical talent apart from the network stuff. Their games look artistically the same as their early 3DFX stuff.

Apple's closed system is good for the industry as it ensures consumers shop from the same place resulting in higher overall sales (although I'd like MS to undercut them and drive that 30% down a couple of notches).

I generally hate boss fights which makes SotC one of my least favorite AAA titles of all time.

Doom 3 is the best shooter of the past decade or so. Old school perfected.

Modern Square releases mostly turds, albeit turds polished to a shine.

Nintendo is one of the only remaining big players making video games who actually makes games as opposed to interactive Hollywood B-Movies.

Hmm...I'm missing some....lol.

I'm glad that at least one person agree's with me. The worst part about it is, that I WANT Sony and Microsoft to assert their market dominance over the game industry and take Nintendo down, but I know it won't happen because of the way Nintendo is so evil they'll always weasel their way out of it.

Enjoy your second game crash.

This thread needs to come back more often...

I don't get the big deal with DLC, who cares. And people that say, "Back in the day, the entire game was on the disc!" yea. Probably because the majority of games, were cheaply made by a smaller team w/ less functionality and quality/design was not an important standard. Now, game production is extraordinarily maintained through quality expectations and functionality requirements. And can purchased at around the SAME price as games released 10 years ago. And then to subdue production expenses they release/include extra's and people complain it was not included. This is the first generation where we have had this DLC model on consoles, it's not perfect but it's not as bad as people make it out to be and is essential for games to maintain the $60 price tag.

Oh and I'm fine with on disc dlc/day 1 dlc.

I don't get the big deal with DLC, who cares. And people that say, "Back in the day, the entire game was on the disc!" yea. Probably because they were all shittily made, tiny experiences. Now we got these huge epic things for around the SAME price and then they come out with extra's and people complain. This is the first generation where we have had this in consoles, it's not perfect but it's not as bad as people make it out to be...

Are you really trying to imply that modern games are not mostly shittily made, tiny experiences? This is so wrong I don't even know where to begin.

LeleSocho

Banned

I don't get the big deal with DLC, who cares. And people that say, "Back in the day, the entire game was on the disc!" yea. Probably because they were all shittily made, tiny experiences. Now we got these huge epic things for around the SAME price and then they come out with extra's and people complain. This is the first generation where we have had this in consoles, it's not perfect but it's not as bad as people make it out to be...

35oIh.jpg

Enjoy your C series hollywood movies
I can't even manage to imagine that people thinks like that... god please save this industry.

Are you really trying to imply that modern games are not mostly shittily made, tiny experiences? This is so wrong I don't even know where to begin.

http://i.imgur.com/35oIh.jpg[IMG]

Enjoy your C series hollywood movies
I can't even manage to imagine that people thinks like that... god please save this industry.[/QUOTE]

People have this weird illusion that most games created in the 90's were these large, densely packed epic experiences, when in reality they were still in their infancy trying to achieve something unattainable for its time. Absolutely amazing for what they accomplished then and most of those games are some of the best gaming experiences I've had. But comparing them to modern games and acting like somehow they are equal is absurd. The cost alone for game production today is ludicrous, so expecting for "all content in this universe must be acquirable for the cost of the game" is unrealistic.

Saying shittily made is not accurately what I was saying, I don't know why I said that...or why I said any of this. I usually just rant in this thread with nonsensical text and minimal thought.

Mileena

Banned

Heavy Rain is shit.

This is 100% accurate.

reddwarf42
qjJRT.gif

r3DYz.gif

CorvoSol

Okay, I think:

1. Shadow the Hedgehog is actually a pretty okay character and where I would draw the line for sucky Sonic Friends beginning. His game was also not that bad.

2. FF13 had some of the best interactions between party members in the whole series, and that Lightning was a refreshing change of pace for a lead protagonist.

3. Twilight Princess is a pretty freaking awesome Zelda game.

4. Zelda games are not getting easier, and that, by relation, I am not just stupider than the rest of the fanbase and that this is a fair explanation for why I can't solve these puzzles as fast as all the cool kids on GameFAQs tell me they can.

5. Kingdom Hearts' characters are really pretty endearing.

6. Stories in games don't inherently suck.

7. Final Fantasy Type-0 is a sure sign that Square has finally started to pull itself together.

8. That Mega Man Zero is the best Mega Man series, and also the best series of games of its kind.

Beth Cyra

Okay, I think:

1. Shadow the Hedgehog is actually a pretty okay character and where I would draw the line for sucky Sonic Friends beginning. His game was also not that bad.

2. FF13 had some of the best interactions between party members in the whole series, and that Lightning was a refreshing change of pace for a lead protagonist.

3. Twilight Princess is a pretty freaking awesome Zelda game.

4. Zelda games are not getting easier, and that, by relation, I am not just stupider than the rest of the fanbase and that this is a fair explanation for why I can't solve these puzzles as fast as all the cool kids on GameFAQs tell me they can.

5. Kingdom Hearts' characters are really pretty endearing.

6. Stories in games don't inherently suck.

7. Final Fantasy Type-0 is a sure sign that Square has finally started to pull itself together.

8. That Mega Man Zero is the best Mega Man series, and also the best series of games of its kind.

Twilight Princes has over a 90 Meta critic and sold better then any Zelda since OoT. Saying it's a good Zelda isn't really contraversal even if some people have turned on it.

The Sine Mora thread reminded me that I hate the term "shmup". It's stupid. You'll never see me using that absolutely ridiculous word. They are shooters.

Akainu

People give Nomura a lot of crap for all his characters, but praise Amano to high heaven. All his characters are pretty much the same. Look at his art for Faris, Sephiroth, and Setzer. They might as well be the same character.

People give Nomura a lot of crap for all his characters, but praise Amano to high heaven. All his characters are pretty much the same. Look at his art for Faris, Sephiroth, and Setzer. They might as well be the same character.

I have to agree. While Amono has his own distinct and unique look, that dosent mean his stuff dosent all start to look the same. A lot of his characters sure do anyway. But then if anyone tries to argue this people play the high art card or whatever.

Check valve

Neo Member
Party chat on xbox 360 ruined pre game lobby smack talk. The only part I enjoyed in most mainstream FPS's. Now everyone is jut in their own party chat and no one uses game chat anymore.

Top Bottom