• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raise the flame shield: Your "controversial" gaming opinion.

It's pathetic that this is a controversial opinion, but I believe that consumer rights are more important than videogame publishers' profits.

Nothing controversial about that. The media straight up embarrassed themselves over this whole ME3 situation.

Like I don't even really care about the ME3 situation, what is embarrassing is that (I assume) one outlet used the word "entitlement" and then the rest of them clung to the word like parrots. They started using it in articles that don't even involve ME3, it is like some sort of bad meme. I was listening to the IGN podcast "Beyond" (I don't know why I do) and it was like 30 minutes of one of the hosts saying entitlement over and over (not the first time either). Grrrrr, consumers want used copies - entitlement! Consumers want pro-consumer laws - entitlement! Mad about DLC? Entitlement. God forbid having a conversation about something, dismiss it in one word.

Eusis

I want to believe that as well, but man, everyone's going out of business these days.
There's still better ways to go about it.

Which leads to another opinion: Maybe it actually IS better to embrace used game sales... and jack games all the way up to $90. DLC is basically just one way of trying to get that sort of fee out of us (sometimes literally that, look at Gears of War 3 costing $60 with a $30 season pass), and as long as there wasn't a complete collapse they'd probably profit a lot more even with a dip in users. If games are traded in sooner than later and they got half back it'd be $45, thus an effective increase for people who traded in religiously (and a net DROP for people who didn't), then if they care enough they buy the used copy or a new copy with a price plummet later on.

Hell, part of the reason we even HAD $40 games was because Sony was aggressive against Nintendo and the economy was great.

I want to believe that as well, but man, everyone's going out of business these days.

Everyone's been going out of business since the videogame industry began. Absolutely nothing new about that. The industry has had a "cash grab" mentality since its inception, and most videogame companies are very poorly run. It has nothing to do with consumer rights, no matter how much they cry about it.

DrMungo

Shadow of the Colossus - While the artistic vision and direction is superb, some elements are near game breaking. Especially when you have to rely on the horse to chase down colossi. Also the platforming mechanics and the "grab" action are pretty rough, especially when you compare to a Nintendo game.

Half Life 2 on PS3 Orange Box - the load times make it unplayable. Also platforming elements in FPS games need to go

Over the years with time being a rare commodity, I only limit myself to the industry changing classics like Zelda OOT and RE4 - which were great.

Suda 51 is a horrible game designer and has no business working in gaming. The only thing he has ever made that was below average at best was No More Heroes. It'd be like if someone made Dead Leaves into a bad video game. Sure a bunch off crazy shit would happen and all that, but it would still be a bad video game.

Shadows of the Damned was fantastic.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I was about to rage about the PoP '08 epilogue being the worst and most tedious piece of shit I've played in God knows how long, but then I remembered no one liked it anyway, so it wouldn't really be a controversial opinion.

BibiMaghoo

FFXIII was a better game than FFXIII-2, in just about everyway possible. Caius was the only good thing in that game.

God of War 3 was a terrible, super shiny game.

Come at me :)

Celcius

°Temp. member
FFXIII was a better game than FFXIII-2, in just about everyway possible. Caius was the only good thing in that game.

I don't think Tales of Graces has a better battle system than Tales of Vesperia.

I agree with both of you :)

Also, I like vanilla MvC3 (with the dlc) better than the ultimate version. The extra characters are lame and were added just to promote Marvel's upcoming movies.
I also enjoyed Star Ocean: the Last Hope and Sonic 4: Episode I.

padlock

I'd be perfectly happy with DRM that required a constant connection to the internet, as long as customers had the right to loan out, trade, or re-sell their game licenses.

Of course, that will never happen since the real pupose of drm is to control the secondary market and not to fight piracy.

zlatko

Banned
FF13 was a great game.

Halo: Reach has the best MP in a Halo game.

Fable 2 is pure trash.

Persona 3 has some of the worst pacing in any RPG ever.

All of the Metal Gear Solid games are amazing, including 2 and 4.

Indigo Prophecy is the worst game ever. Of all time. Ever.

Alan Wake sucks.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Almost all games with uber popular mascots are mediocre games, Mario, Master Chief, Zelda, etc. They are just exploiting people's attachment to a franchise.

Games that sell 5+ million on release day are typically lowest common denominator crap.

Dr.Hadji

Almost all games with uber popular mascots are mediocre games, Mario, Master Chief, Zelda, etc. They are just exploiting people's attachment to a franchise.

Games that sell 5+ million on release day are typically lowest common denominator crap.

Wow shocking. People buy popular merch with popular characters.

The Chef

Batman Arkham City has to be one of the most boring games I have ever played.

I think ME3 is the best of the series, 3>1>2, but the ending is still horrific.

This makes me happy. I have actually been avoiding ME3 because of all the hate. Think I may actually check it out now.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I wish they'd add WASD movement to Diablo 3. I only want it so I can interact with the inventory and mouse over stuff while navigating around the environment. Same reason I keep turn left/turn right bound when I play MMOs.

kingkaiser

For me Banjo Kazzooie: Nuts and Bolts and Sonic Unleashed are on a par with the Mario Galaxy games. I really enjoyed the hell out of this four awesome games.

Oh and...Mario64>>Mario Sunshine>Mario Galaxy1&2

BibiMaghoo

Final Fantasy 8 is better than Final Fantasy 7.

12f07e094f74b3e789f33505f78ce9e0d9546ed7_m.jpg

Demon's Souls isn't hard just boring (this also goes for Dark Souls).

Nintendo makes the same games over and over.

Art games are routinely overrated.

Nintendo should stop making hardware.

Heavy Rain is shit.

Microsoft Game Studios is where developers go to die.

Touch controls, voice controls, and motion controls need to die as video game control mechanisms.

Catherine is a downloadable puzzle game wrapped in an anime.

Peter Molyneux is a snake oil salesman.

Japanese game stories haven't been good since voice acting became ubiquitous.

I agree to some degree on all but the first point.

Nintendo hasn't produced more than 10 great games since the n64.

Eusis

I wish they'd add WASD movement to Diablo 3. I only want it so I can interact with the inventory and mouse over stuff while navigating around the environment. Same reason I keep turn left/turn right bound when I play MMOs.
I'm going to go the next step: I wish it had controller support. They said they were working on it, that they were amazed at how well it worked, now don't be assholes and only use this for a console port, just because I'll play on PC doesn't mean I only want kb/m controls.
Nintendo hasn't produced more than 10 great games since the n64.
Depending on how tight you are about defining great that still puts Nintendo ahead of most companies.

Gibbles17

Final Fantasy 8 is better than Final Fantasy 7.

Brofist, a thousand times this.

Also having played OoT for the first time recently (on 3ds), I truly cannot understand how people praise it as one of the best games of all time. The absolute, undisputed champion of overrated video games. Felt more bummed than satisfied at completing the first temple, remember thinking "ugh, there's like 4 more of these and the game's over". Side quests were solid though.

MC Safety

I'm going to butcher H.L. Mencken here, but ...

The people calling for new consoles right now know what they want and deserve to get it, good and hard.

Also, Shenmue is not so much horrible as it is someone's idea of a bad joke. Cleaning dust off a wall? Stacking books? Catching falling leaves? That's called doing mindless chores.

Macmanus

If you really care about story in video games outside of Planescape, you probably have poor taste in stories, story telling, characters, character structure and growth, and most likely art in general. If you have a cursory interest in the story - that's to be expected. If you buy the Halo novels... I've got bad news for you.

All major publishers should probably just die off with the exception of Valve.

Demon/Dark Souls combat is the most over rated mechanism this generation. The games are fantastic - but the combat is cumbersome.

Also:

Demon/Dark Souls isn't that challenging. At all. People just forgot what it was like to die in a game or are too young to have experienced challenge. A Quake 3 finals tournament is challenging. A SC battle in Korea is challenging. Battletoads is challenging. A faux single player RPG that every. single. person. has defeated is not challenging. You died? And there are penalties? Guess who never played Ultima Online? Stop being a pussy.

Phil Fish is right and his game is fucking incredible.

edit: Forgot to add: Grand Theft Auto was done after Vice City. Even then, the 2D ones were a lot more fun.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
To be honest, I like the world, premise, and characters of FFVIII rather than FFVII.

The battle system on the other hand...

qq more

ahahahaha wow

I have over 40 hours in Too Human, across multiple play throughs single/co-op . Despite its numerous flaws, I love the game...

I am a Lootwhore... what can I say...

Odrion

Banned
Here's one:

Touch controls are not as bad as a lot of people say they are. There are games that do it badly, genres that are difficult with it, and it would be nice to have a consistent rule on the placement of virtual sticks and buttons. But touch controls themselves are actually fine, you'll fight over them in the beginning like someone would using a K+M setup for the first time but it's not that long until you don't mind them at all.

Hell, I prefer using touch controls to aim than a stick. I think the perfect handheld setup would be just one control stick, two shoulder buttons, and then a touch surface.

edit: also the infinity blade series is kinda overrated.

7threst

Reading through this thread makes the opinion that Heavy Rain is not really a good game a pretty general one. Which I agree with. Which is weird, because I love Fahrenheit (and I still do), but playing Heavy Rain makes me cringe everytime. With everything. The way the faces look, the way the characters talk. The soundtrack is very good though.

Top Bottom