• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raise the flame shield: Your "controversial" gaming opinion.

BillyBats

Banned
Pokemon stinks. I never understood the continued love for this franchise. Sure, I get the excitement of randomly finding a rare thing. That's fun. I don't get how people keep coming back to a series that employs the same rpg mechanics as the original Dragon Warrior on the NES. This is just old, uninspired design.

GTA games are terrible. Controls horribly (the shooting and driving in particular), except for this new one the graphics always feel dated and the story/dialogue are consistantly a wreck. The one franchise I will never understand the popularity of.

sp3000

Also their entire Zelda franchise is one mediocre game after another lapped up by fanboys, padded to oblivion, and uninspired. The only exception is majoras mask

Andrew.

Banned
BioShock is the best new IP this gen.

The Assassins Creed franchise completely fell apart after II.

I really didn't mind the ending to Mass Effect 3. Sure, they could've tied up some loose ends with characters and shit, but I really didn't care much. I was pleased with the overall package.

The last good Resident Evil game was 4.

Max Payne 3 is the best TPS this gen.

Bubsy II is one of the worst 16 bit platformers ever made.

SMB 3 is the easiest out of all of the 2D Mario games.

callous

Racing games have far, far too many tracks, cheapening and detracting from the overall experience.

Controls that could have been done with sticks and buttons are never well-implemented.

Sonic games are neither worse nor better than they have been.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
I remember seeing this opinion stated in this thread already and the argument it spun; but I might be wrong. Glad to see people do not care enough to even argue it this time around.

Oh, I don't want to sift through 40 odd pages of stuff. Who cares, it's just an opinion.

Pokemon is for children.

I honestly wouldn't want them to overly start catering to the older fans. Focusing on bringing newer fans into the fold is always a good thing, even at the expense of some of the improvements and tweaks I'd like to see from the series. So as a Pokemon fan, I hope they keep balancing the game for kids and newer fans.

I think Skyrim/the modern Elder Scrolls and Fallout series are rigid, clunky and soulless sandboxes that people just gush over because of how "huge" the world is when I don't feel the actual content, story or gameplay has ever matched the scope of the space they've created.

I didn't grow up loving any of the regular Nintendo franchises so I think 90% of the Mario, Zelda, Metroid and other Nintendo stalwarts are just lazy rehashes that don't have any interesting hooks aside from some nifty gameplay mechanics every couple of installments.

Mileena

Banned
People who like first person shooters and do not like crysis do not actually like first person shooters.
This may be the most wrong post in the whole thread. Replace Crysis with Counter-Strike or Quake 3 and its fixed. Crysis is the definition of style over substance.

The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction is a fantastic game, but the story kept getting in the way. It's not a guilty pleasure, it's a genuine pleasure.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
I honestly wouldn't want them to overly start catering to the older fans. Focusing on bringing newer fans into the fold is always a good thing, even at the expense of some of the improvements and tweaks I'd like to see from the series.

I think Skyrim/the modern Elder Scrolls and Fallout series are rigid, clunky and soulless sandboxes that people just gush over because of how "huge" the world is when I don't feel the actual content, story or gameplay has ever matched the scope of the space they've created.

I didn't grow up loving any of the regular Nintendo franchises so I think 90% of the Mario, Zelda, Metroid and other Nintendo stalwarts are just lazy rehashes that don't have any interesting hooks aside from some nifty gameplay mechanics every couple of installments.

I think I was around 15 when Pokemon came out and I thought back then it was a kids tv show and game. Guess it's just stuck with me.

Can you go into detail?

I haven't played a ton of the original so I don't feel like I can judge the mechanics all that well, and I can understand the music, but you put SoR's visuals on top?

This is probably just nostalgia talking, but I remember enjoying the first game more than than the second, now don't get me wrong the second game was definitely a fantastic game as well and one of the best Mega Drive games overall. But the thing that I remember disliking about it is how it tried to mimic some kind of weird 2D/3D level designs if that make any sense.

Edit: this is what I mean:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbAcWZxxMBE

Nothing wrong with it but I prefer the linear pure "2D" levels of the first game, Also I think I might need to revise my other statement about the music.

sp3000

This may be the most wrong post in the whole thread. Replace Crysis with Counter-Strike or Quake 3 and its fixed. Crysis is the definition of style over substance.

Wrong. You can't compare a multiplayer focused shooter to a singleplayer one. In terms of providing singleplayer gameplay, Crysis is the best FPS released this gen.

Style over substance is something Uncharted

BF3 is the worst in the series and BF2 and 2142 are the best titles.

DLC is the worst thing since DRM.

I honestly hope EA go bankrupt.

AAA gaming is a joke.

I'm pretty sure everyone on here would agree.

I think I was around 15 when Pokemon came out and I thought back then it was a kids tv show and game. Guess it's just stuck with me.

Fair enough, though at 15 when the craze first hit you can be forgiven in thinking you were too old by then. My 11 year old sister watches the show and just got her first Pokemon game this past year, so it's different for everybody.

Foshy

Are you complaining about the split controller or the motion controller part of the Wii-remote? What I'm proposing as a perfect controller is something akin to the Wii-remote, but with no motion controls and enough logically-placed buttons to accommodate a 360 game.

I don't see how a split controller can make a game worse. It allows the hands to rest comfortably and naturally.

You seem to be confusing motion control for split controllers.
No, I really mean split controllers and not motion control.

While for you it may be natural and more comfortable, not holding a solid two-handed controller in my hands just feels awkward to me and I couldn't get used to it even though I've owned a Wii since launch. I especially hated using the analog stick on the Nunchuck.

I'm most likely alone with this opinion. It sounds good in theory to me too, but it just doesn't work.

The gunplay in the Uncharted games is not good and lags far behind Gears of War.

Uncharted would be better with more Melee/ exploration and a lot less gunplay.

Motion control is terrible and severely hampers all games that have it. (Mario Galaxy)

The 3DS has yet to have a game that makes me feel like I had to have it. I love it, but it is just a DS with worse battery life right now.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Pokemon stinks. I never understood the continued love for this franchise. Sure, I get the excitement of randomly finding a rare thing. That's fun. I don't get how people keep coming back to a series that employs the same rpg mechanics as the original Dragon Warrior on the NES. This is just old, uninspired design.
Well that one's actually inaccurate, Pokemon has arguably the deepest turn based battle system of any RPG franchise. I mean, you can argue that the depth isn't good, or that there are parts of it that are really stupid (I do) but the depth is there

LeleSocho

Banned
It's a few seconds trailer and this new Pokémon already destroyed forever for me the franchise, i am so disappointed and sad...
good night sweet prince ;_;

Developers have the rights to puts unskippable cutscenes EVERYWHERE in the game.
But only if you can pause them. And skip them the second time you see them.

Shahed

That 99% of Mario games are utterly boring despite how charming they may be

The 1% is Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door which is amazing and one the best games I've ever played

Daggerfall was the last great Elder Scrolls game.

Braid and Journey are both nowhere near as good as they claim to be.

Mario 64 is only loved through rose tinted glasses and has been surpassed by the Galaxy series in every way. 64 just hasn't aged well at all. (Except for the music)

V3LL8.jpg

Not enough neck beard on the bottom right.

Anyway.

My turn.

Mass Effect (all 3) sucks.

Ubisoft has yet to release a game within the passed several years to get me to buy it.

Activision is never getting my money again.

I play BF3 nearly every day, but I hate it because "casual". (yes, because casual).

I played TF2 for 2000+ hours. They killed it after 2011's Christmas update. Beating a dead horse... etc.

I hate Nintendo for not building a console I'll buy that is relevant to my interests.

I hate Nintendo for not making games I can play over and over again and enjoy, thus having even less of a reason to buy their consoles.

Developers have the rights to puts unskippable cutscenes EVERYWHERE in the game.
But only if you can pause them. And skip them the second time you see them.

I want FULL DVR-style options for EVERY game with any cutscene. Pause, Fast Forward and Rewind (with controllable speeds), Skip, just everything. Doesn't matter if I've seen it or not, I want to be able to skip the scene if I wish.

Riposte

I know plenty of dudes(bros?) who play only Call of Duty, NBA2k, Madden, and... Pokemon.

EDIT: Also I'm a little bit disgusted this thread has been brought back from the dead.

FLEABttn

Banned
Nobody's made an FPS that I've been 85-90% satisfied since 2005. Everything since then has been generally disappointing to various degrees. It's getting to a point where I would write off the entire genre unless a game has particularly good buzz three months later.

Overdoziz

Banned
People who like first person shooters and do not like crysis do not actually like first person shooters.
The first half of Crysis had open environments with boring enemies, the second half had linear environments with annoying enemies. I'll give them kudos for allowing you to approach encounters in various ways in the first half of the game, but that's about it.

sp3000

I know plenty of dudes(bros?) who play only Call of Duty, NBA2k, Madden, and... Pokemon.

EDIT: Also I'm a little bit disgusted this thread has been brought back from the dead.

Maybe someone should make a new one for 2013, seeing how this one was started almost exactly a year ago

• I avoid western-mideval looking games based on aesthetic alone (i.e. Dragon Age, Souls, Elder Scrolls)
• I really enjoyed Metroid: Other M
• I have never played a God of War game and won't because I dislike greek mythology
• I had fun playing the original BloodRayne games
• I personally find the Shenmue series super boring
• I think the 360 and Wii Onechanbara games are fun campy romps
• I think 3D Zelda is leagues better than 2D Zelda
• I found LittleBigPlanet extremely dull and have avoided the series since
• I enjoy 90% of the games from Gust, Compile Heart, Idea Factory, etc.
• I have never played a Half-life or Portal game
• I think Resident Evil 2 is the best of the core 6 RE titles (excluding REmake)
• I think Phil Fish needs to look in the mirror, Fez is a terrible game
• I love my Vita more than my 3DS despite having less than a dozen games for it vs. 20+ 3DS
• I refuse to play the arkham series because Batman looks like a roided up freak
• I personally think Final Fantasy X is the best game in the series
• I have never played a Grand Theft Auto game
• I think XBOX Live Gold is a massive rip-off and I don't know how they get subscribers

The first half of Crysis had open environments with boring enemies, the second half had linear environments with annoying enemies. I'll give them kudos for allowing you to approach encounters in various ways in the first half of the game, but that's about it.

Pretty much.

I love the engine though! I've got several videos of me just dicking around in it.

The American gaming press have absolutely shitty, homogenous, lowest common denominator taste in gaming, and regurgitate their prejudices to the detriment of the industry.

Top Bottom