• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rapper Nelly arrested after rape accusation

BadAss2961

You can do something creepy and not be a pedo

I believe that he was probably trying to be nice, corny for the audience, but it was really cringeworthy
Cringeworthy, yeah. But the OMG reactions suggest boderline pedo behavior, especially in the context of this thread. It's a bit much.

It's only dumb until you're accused of something and people grab the pitchforks and the torches and look to make your life a living hell even before you are arraigned.

I think maybe the problem is we get hung up on the word ”innocent."

Maybe the better way to phrase this would be no judgement either way until we have a serious reconciliation of all the facts.

The point is moot for a crime that is so rarely falsely reported and also generally underreported while also being a really grave one.

Believing the victim is absolutely alright to do at this point while also stating that you're waiting for more info. You're not actively making the life of the alleged perpetrator worse (you could, but I believe most people here have enough restraint not to do that) especially being so far removed from the situation as some unknown person on the internet. At least other rape victims can see that we as people would believe them if they came forward.

Seesaw15

Eh... What's more likely?

A) Nelly is trying to be sweet to a young fan. 'Kissing babies' and whatnot routine for cheap points.

B) Nelly is a pedo.

This isn't kissing a baby, nor is Nelly a srtaight laced politician

Not saying he would be a pedo, but I could come up with other ways to be nice to a fan than what seems to happen in his concerts. Something that doesn't require him to be swooning the child.

But serenading little girls at show is just a corny thing muscians do. Its just not a good look when all your songs are about sex.

https://youtu.be/cKWR9mP-0ug?t=38s
https://youtu.be/ecP5LKycHis?t=22s
https://youtu.be/RrdG-GSdo7I?t=2m16s

But Drakes a business man so he knows how to handle optics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMlf81B2YG0

Alavard

I have no idea if he did the rape or not.

But your rationale is predicated on the erroneous and disprovable belief that police need viable evidence to make an arrest when we literally have hundreds if not thousands of cases that prove the contrary.

Police make arrests based on threadbare evidence, unreliable testimony, coerced confessions and outright manufactured lies. As a point of fact, many cops actually construct their investigations to fit their chosen narrative, rather than allow for an objective analysis.

And to be clear, I'm not asserting anything like that has happened here - Nelly may very well be guilty as hell - but your faith in the criminal justice system is misplaced.

I actually don't disagree with you on any of what you're saying here, but we also know that the justice system is absolute shit at prosecuting for rape, and even more so when the accused is famous. For now, I'm simply more prone to believe that he raped her than that he didn't, given that he was arrested for it. As more information comes out, maybe I'll change my stance, and maybe I won't.

Black man got arrested so the police MUST have some sorta evidence lol? Really ?

Yea guys the police would never arrest a Black dude for no reason. Nope never happens.

Black man accused of rape while on tour with a pop country group.

Yea let's wait for the facts on this one.

But If he did it it's a wrap for bruh. Should have left her alone if she wasn't feeling it. She should get a civil case too after the criminal case and get some of that bread if he feel like he can just take sex.

Budi

But serenading little girls at show is just a corny thing muscians do. Its just not a good look when all your songs are about sex.
Yeah I actually wanted to read the lyrics to the Nelly song, but I have no idea what it's called. Anybody can help with that?
Exactly

What Nelly was doing was also way creepier than Beiber or The Boss from those clips
Yup nothing questionable in that Springsteen clip, it seems sweet.
Thanks!

Neece

Yeah I actually wanted to read the lyrics to the Nelly song, but I have no idea what it's called. Anybody can help with that?
Yup nothing questionable in that Springsteen clip, it seems sweet.

Cause its all in my head
I think about it over and over again
And I can’t keep picturing you with him
And it hurts so bad, yeah
Cause it’s all in my head
I replay it over and over again
And I can’t take it yeah I can’t shake it
Nooo

I can’t wait to see you
Want to see if you still got that look in your eyes
That one you had for me before we said our goodbyes
And it’s a shame that we got to spend our time
Being mad about the same things
Over and over again
About the same things
Over and over again
Ohh
But I think she’s leaving
Ooh man she’s leaving
I don’t know what else to do
(I Can’t go on not loving you)

Cause its all in my head
Cause its all in my head
I replay it over and over again yeah
And I can’t take it yeah I can’t shake it
Nooo

I remember the day you left
I remember the last breath you took right in front of me
When you said that u would leave
I was too damn stubborn to try to stop you or say anything
But I see clearly now
And this choice I made keeps playing in my head
Over and over again
Playing my head
Over and over again
Ohh
I think she’s leaving
Ooh man she’s leaving
I don’t know what else to do
(I Can’t go on not loving you)

Cause its all in my head
Cause its all in my head
And I can’t take it I can’t shake it
Nooo

(Now that I’ve realized that I’m going down
From all this pain you’ve put me through
Every time I close my eyes I lock it down oh
I can’t go on not loving you)

Cause its all in my head
Cause its all in my head
Nooo

Cause its all in my head
Cause its all in my head
Nooo

Over and Over again
Over and Over again
Cause it’s all in my head

Calling for somebody to be banned when I did not state anything bannable is pretty childish. I have no idea who's innocent but I can lean at what I think (with no facts). We all know women are not sex objects and rape is wrong. Stop with that nonsense guys

Not that it matters, I never said I hope you get banned. All I said was enjoy it.

Surfinn

Anybody defending those two videos of Nelly twirling the hair of those little girls on stage while touching his face to theirs.. I have no words.

Legitimately made me feel sick.

Pedo or not that was one of the most disturbing things I've seen in a long time.

They were fucking identical too.

HiResDes

A woman claims she was raped on the rapper's tour bus -- which was parked in a Walmart lot in Washington -- where he's been performing.

Am I reading this right? A former multi-platinum, billboard topping artist is now performing at a Walmart in Washington

Anybody defending those two videos of Nelly twirling the hair of those little girls on stage while touching his face to theirs.. I have no words.

Pedo or not that was one of the most disturbing things I've seen in a long time.

Reminds me a lot of this not very creepy at all gentleman

Creepy-Joe-Biden.jpg

Nowise10

bro what kind of sheltered world are you living in where him twirling the girls hair is the one of the most disturbing things you've seen

Surfinn

bro what kind of sheltered world are you living in where him twirling the girls hair is the one of the most disturbing things you've seen
The girl was clearly uncomfortable as fuck on stage.

Are you really normalizing a grown man doing this?

Context man.. How does it work

Budi

Not only that, but context of the song and the extreme close proximity being face to face with the girl.

HiResDes

Celebrities are so sought after that I don't understand why they just don't have written agreements like on that Dave Chapelle skit. You want to do this, sign here, and we'll do it. Sure it removes any spontaneity out of the encounter but you it seems quite necessary when you have such a large entourage of people around you and the ability to put people Dennis Reynolds implicating situations. I'd be drafting lists, bringing STD check up results, the whole nine.

Tariqnasheed

ALL sex between Black men and white women is considered rape, EVEN if it's consensual, in a system of white supremacy. Nelly got caught up

Lots of crazy narratives out there, so many people blaming the victim right now

Any woman could pick up the phone and cry rape to the cops and the guy would get arrested 100 times out of 100

But let's just go with guilty shall we
How fast we've moved from "Let's just wait for the facts, I'm not saying the victim isn't right" to "Don't you know how easy it is for women to cry rape??".

Just like that story in TIME magazine about those untested rape kits that were in storage for YEARS. All those men were arrested right?

Alright, you know what? Whatever. I'll get banned if I say more. I'll be in Gaming side.

Ephidel

Yeah ok. Not sure I believe the girl
How balanced of you to assume that the accused rapist is innocent of rape but not that the accused liar is innocent of lying.
You never wanna be accused with rape. This is shitty.
You never want to be raped or accused of lying about being raped either. Those are also shitty.
Famous music star that has girls throwing themselves at him and he has to go and commit rape?
Rape isn't really about sex though.
Besides, there's nothing to say the girls throwing themselves at someone are the same girls they necessarily "want" or feel they deserve, y'know?
Of course we'll see what happens when more info comes out. But these guys don't need to rape anybody there are plenty of groupies to go around
Just because someone is a groupie doesn't actually mean they want to have sex with the band.
Wait, let me double check.
Dictionary.com said:
noun, Informal.
a young person, especially a teenage girl, who is an ardent admirer of rock musicians and may follow them on tour.
an ardent fan of a celebrity or of a particular activity:
a tennis groupie.
Nope, nothing there about sex.
Any woman could pick up the phone and cry rape to the cops and the guy would get arrested 100 times out of 100

But let's just go with guilty shall we
Any woman, eh? Even if that were true (receipts.gif) that doesn't mean any woman would or that this woman has. If he gets the benefit of the doubt, so should she.
Not every time, I guess?
If a girl changes her mind half way through and wants to stop, you are now raping her in her mind
If a girl changes her mind half way through and tells you to stop and you don't you are raping her. No "in her mind" about it.
Are you completely blind to the reality of how these things usually work? Statistically speaking this isn't the case.

Also. No ones going with "guilty" - people are just reacting to those calling her a liar.
Yes, they are.
Dude are you living in fantasy world? This was in Nelly's "tour" bus. Have you ever been around and seen what happens with this shit? Literally girls are begging to get in these buses and it's just the way it is. I just find it hard to believe she got raped but we'll see when the facts come out.
Some people want to get on the party bus to party. Or to brag that they got to meet people.
Just because people want to hang around with famous people that doesn't mean they want to fuck them.
How naive are you? Enter a tour bus with Nelly and his entourage and expect nothing to happen....sure dude
Firstly, no, nobody gets to pull the "you made what I have determined is a bad decision, therefore you deserved it" card. Fuck that.
That's the kind of thing that leads to women reporting crimes and the authorities shoving the reports aside because they were wearing a short skirt. Nobody deserves to be raped for going to a party, or getting on a bus, or hanging around with a famous person (or any person).

Secondly, You're acting like they're starving wolves waiting to scoff down meat - they're not, they're men. I'm surprised more people don't find it insulting to use that as a defense. I think it's insulting to imply that they can't control themselves just because a woman was around or a party was going on.
Yeah I know and I have stopped

So maybe that's what happened here
Well no, because if he'd stopped there wouldn't be a rape to accuse him of.
I'm almost expecting to read that she was asking for it.

Some of these comments, fucking hell.
Scroll up, that "defense" is already here!
Nobody said they are a sexual object and nobody said they have a right to do anything but I've seen it in many cases that these girls are out there to gain something because they know full well what happens when you enter a celebrities bus w/ his entourage. You guys need to get with reality. I don't know who's innocent but I've seen this many times and I am allowed to state that
Bullshit.
Your assumptions are assumptions. That they're disgusting assumptions is revolting, but that's on you, not on them.
Ehh, Nelly probably didn't listen to consent and rapped someone but are we just implying dudes a pedophile now?
We don't know what he "probably" did yet.
You really believe that the public should just assume that he's guilty based on the accusation alone?

False rape accusations happen, and they ruin lives too. And those falsely accused people are victims too.

Accusations need to be heard, not believed out of hand. Not really speaking to the two people fervently arguing in this thread, but in general, not automatically believing an accusation doesn't mean that you're not compassionate towards the potential victim.
They happen, but not half as often as people would think based on the amount of defense they get.
If people aren't sure whether or not they believe a rape accusation that's fine, and completely understandable. Immediately assuming it's false isn't.
Again, if he gets the benefit of the doubt for the accusation levied against him (rape), she should get the benefit of the doubt about the accusation levied against her (lies).
let's see some actual stats instead of dumb stupidity, shall we?
bartdhgcyailucs.jpg
The statistics are incredibly depressing :(
It's a kit that basically collects DNA evidence from the sexual encounter. You're supposed to report the incident and have that collected, but understandably, not everyone is gonna want to do that after a rape, but it does help your case a lot.
Well, in theory that's the case.
In reality the huge backlog of unprocessed rape kits means that in many cases even when women do all the interviews, get evidence collected, and have invasive rape kits done following their already invasive and traumatic rapes it's utter futility because nobody will ever bother checking it.
Which is outrageous.
Yeah I meant if she didn't verbalize it but was merely thinking it to herself at the time
I just want to state for the record though that a lack of verbalisation isn't consent.
Some people, in that situation, freeze up. Some people can't find the words, or are afraid of what would happen if they do. That doesn't mean their attacker isn't a rapist (or at the very least, a predatory and manipulativ arse), it just means you're not going to be able to prove it to anyone's satisfaction.

If you're looking at this from the perspective of "accidental rape" (ugh) though then if they haven't vocalised it then maybe you can proclaim your technical innocence, but to be completely frank you should be paying enough attention to your partner to notice if they're displeased, discomforted, terrified, or horrified, so you can actually stop instead of traumatising them forever and insisting that it's okay because they didn't say something.
How do you do that? Do you ask 'We still good?' every couple minutes? Seems like it would kill the mood. Asking for a friend.
Well you could try paying attention to your partner instead of yourself. I'd think you should be able to tell when they want something or not.
Black man got arrested so the police MUST have some sorta evidence lol? Really ?

Yea guys the police would never arrest a Black dude for no reason. Nope never happens.

Black man accused of rape while on tour with a pop country group.
Oh, hi there Mr "lying ass women". I'm not sure who you're disputing though, I haven't seen a single person in this thread say that.
Edit: Okay, I take it back, after you posted this garbage got quoted here, so I guess someone is on the same train as you. It's still not on the same rails as the one the rest of us are on though.
Celebrities are so sought after that I don't understand why they just don't have written agreements like on that Dave Chapelle skit. You want to do this, sign here, and we'll do it. Sure it removes any spontaneity out of the encounter but you it seems quite necessary when you have such a large entourage of people around you and the ability to put people Dennis Reynolds implicating situations. I'd be drafting lists, bringing STD check up results, the whole nine.
People have the right to change their minds at any time, for any reason, and stop.
You're proposing a system that would remove that right.
Can you not see that would be a horrible idea?

Surfinn

This isn't even that bad.. rubbing the hair was weird but this is just another cornball "engage the audience" thing that nelly is known for... you guys have pedo on the brain, so it's magnified 10x for you.

There really is a defense force for everything.

If you really watched those two videos and felt like what was being shown is OK (a grown man getting close enough to kiss a child, then stroking and curling her hair and touching his face to hers, while she is CLEARLY uncomfortable), there is nothing left to discuss here.

Disgusting

Will wait for more info, cases like this can go either way. If he did it tho then what a wasteman

Eh... What's more likely?

A) Nelly is trying to be sweet to a young fan. 'Kissing babies' and whatnot routine for cheap points.

B) Nelly is a pedo.

Lmao. Well whatever the hell that was it ended up looking creepy as fuck. If he had any common sense he would have let her go after talking to her for a few seconds. Maybe given her a hug or some shit. What the hell was that tho....

Surfinn

Will wait for more info, cases like this can go either way. If he did it tho then what a wasteman

Lmao. Well whatever the hell that was it ended up looking creepy as fuck. If he had any common sense he would have let her go after talking to her for a few seconds. Maybe given her a hug or some shit. What the hell was that tho....

Yup. Not sure if intentional or not but there's also the creepy context of what he was saying "it's REALLY IMPORTANT that you like your teacher."

What, the fuck.

Top Bottom