• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare Replay |OT| Jetpacks and Googly Eyes, Here We Come

just spent like over 20 minutes on support with microsoft store, for them to tell me my order is still in process....because I totally cant see that for myself.

just spent like over 20 minutes on support with microsoft store, for them to tell me my order is still in process....because I totally cant see that for myself.

Microsoft Store customer service is fucking brutal. I once preordered a game through them (which came with a $10 Xbox card) and I never got the card. You'd think it would be an easy call to get the code sent to me, but it took 5 calls and almost two months to get the card. Never again.

Dalto11

I ordered on the 18th and still haven't gotten my shipment email yet. I should even get free by-release-day shipping through the Xbox Rewards program but still nothing... I hope we'll get ours soon ._., I was really looking forward to this tomorrow.

Got my game today, installed all the games and I've started with Jetpack which I've never played before.

Its a brilliant, addictive game. Really easy to learn but hard to master. It looks really sharp and runs silky smooth.

I then tried Lunar Jetman. This is harder, the enemy bases seem to randomly affect difficulty - sometimes they are close and its relatively simple but other times it seems like a long slog just to reach the enemy base, let alone taking the bomb with me. I think its just my lack of experience with the game, I'll give it another shot tomorrow when I have more time.

Next up was Battletoads (NES). Music seems a little quiet but otherwise it seems really fun. I enjoy tough NES challenges so I'm looking forward to playing this more.

The snapshots/challenge mode is excellent. It teaches you specifics of the game in a quick and fun way. Its sort of like a tutorial but way more fun. I managed to complete all the challenges on Jetpack and Lunar Jetman without too many issues, managed to clear the hoverbike challenge on Battletoads as well.
My only complaint with the challenges is the lack of them for later games (N64 and up). I'd have loved to get some Blast Corps or Banjo challenges...

Blast Corps is still just as awesome as I remember it. Excellent soundtrack and incredibly addictive gameplay. Backlash is just as I remember it as well, awesome when you get the perfect power drift, a pain in the ass the rest of the time. It looks pretty nice in HD as well, especially the main vehicles etc. The achievement list for BC looks perfectly achieve able for me as well, only way I'd have a problem is having to get all platinum medals (no chance of that happening!)

Why is 10 tiles a problem? You can pin your favorite games onto the dashboard and this one just needs Rare Replay pinned, right?

My shipping says Air Saver I hope that's true

jelmerjt

15 minutes remaining. I guess... :p

Can't wait :D

tumblr_m3a8x3EWH71qacok2o1_500.gif

Lettuce

Is Diddy Kong Nintendo's creation or RARE's? as i dont remember the character before Diddy Kong racing on the n64 with RARE made??

Finally..... A healthy perfect dark/PDZ multiplayer community

Well at least for the first month :p
Very excited to replay all these games and play new games I've never played from rare

Never played grabbed by the ghoulies so that's something I'm happy to play :)

The Flash

Banned
Is Diddy Kong Nintendo's creation or RARE's? as i dont remember the character before Diddy Kong racing on the n64 with RARE made??

Nintendo owned. Rare created.

I'm having such a stupidly hard time about deciding between physical and digital for this title and it's a day away.

My main thing is that I worry that in the future if Xbox Live ever shuts down, I wouldn't be able to play the digital, but I guess that's dumb to worry about because aren't discs at this point just physical licenses for the games anyway? Who knows if we'd even be able to play our physical games if that ever happened.

I feel like I sound close to a crazy person. :( hahah.

I'm getting both for the convenience of digital and the shelf candy factor of physical.

ChrisDM

I'm having such a stupidly hard time about deciding between physical and digital for this title and it's a day away.

My main thing is that I worry that in the future if Xbox Live ever shuts down, I wouldn't be able to play the digital, but I guess that's dumb to worry about because aren't discs at this point just physical licenses for the games anyway? Who knows if we'd even be able to play our physical games if that ever happened.

Mista

Banned
I played Battletoads, Battletoads: Arcade, Perfect Dark, Perfect Dark Zero and Kameo
So far all the games are solid which is beautiful!

The Flash

Banned
I played Battletoads, Battletoads: Arcade, Perfect Dark, Perfect Dark Zero and Kameo
So far all the games are solid which is beautiful!

Play Conker!

That kind of sounds like a tempting idea considering that it would both look great on my shelves and not only would the price be equivalent to one game, but I could support more games like this happening. :D

Exactly! I want Microsoft to know that I support this version of Rare and not Kinect Rare.

No, Diddy Kong is Rare's creation, except he's owned by Nintendo

I stand corrected.

ChrisDM

Nintendo's

I'm getting both for the convenience of digital and the shelf candy factor of physical.

That kind of sounds like a tempting idea considering that it would both look great on my shelves and not only would the price be equivalent to one game, but I could support more games like this happening. :D

Gartooth

Excited to hear more about the documentary features this game has, especially that on Kameo 2. Having Project Dream content would also be incredible.

ChrisDM

Play Conker!

Exactly! I want Microsoft to know that I support this version of Rare and not Kinect Rare.

I stand corrected.

Sea of Thieves seems super interesting to boot, so I have a feeling I'd end up picking that up for multiple platforms (PC & Xbox One). Reading 'Kinect Rare' still gives a bit of a shivery feeling to my spine. :(

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The original PD is an amazing game. I'm finishing it up again this week. Only a couple missions left. It's as close to Goldeneye as we're going to get and the multiplayer/bot mode is still top tier. I beat PDZ Saturday, it's so much worse than PD.

I remember playing PDZ and Kameo on 360 and thinking the future had truly arrived. That parallax mapping on almost every surface in PDZ,njust because they could. I think replaying that might be a rude awakening.

My MS Store story is equally as frustrating. I called last Monday to cancel my order. Got two emails since then from customer reps saying they were still processing my cancellation, and today I got the email notification that my order has shipped.

Bloody comical almost.

hawk2025

I remember playing PDZ and Kameo on 360 and thinking the future had truly arrived. That parallax mapping on almost every surface in PDZ,njust because they could. I think replaying that might be a rude awakening.

Hah, I remember the exact opposite back in the early 360 days. I played PDZ basically before everything else and wondered:

"This is the future?"

It looked straight-up awful from day one to me. The game just feels terrible through and through, from gameplay, to graphics, to the missions and the multiplayer.

Kameo, PGR3, Ridge Racer, Condemned and Call of Duty saved the day, though. What a great launch.

daTRUballin

Hah, I remember the exact opposite back in the early 360 days. I played PDZ basically before everything else and wondered:

"This is the future?"

It looked straight-up awful from day one to me. The game just feels terrible through and through, from gameplay, to graphics, to the missions and the multiplayer.

Kameo, PGR3, Ridge Racer, Condemned and Call of Duty saved the day, though. What a great launch.

PDZ was such a weird game compared to GE and PD. GE and PD were absolute classics on the n64. PDZ was just.....weird.

Everything was just so different. From the art, character design, physics, soundtrack, etc. I'm not sure whether this was because the Free Radical guys left, or because of the Microsoft acquisition (or both), but the game just didn't feel like it was an FPS made by Rare. It was completely different.

ChrisDM

"This is the future?"

I'm curious to see if anyone else in the topic will talk more about PDZ because honestly I cannot remember ever finding someone who truly loved or even enjoyed that game.

hawk2025

PDZ was such a weird game compared to GE and PD. GE and PD were absolute classics on the n64. PDZ was just.....weird.

Everything was just so different. From the art, character design, physics, soundtrack, etc. I'm not sure whether this was because the Free Radical guys left, or because of the Microsoft acquisition (or both), but the game just didn't feel like it was an FPS made by Rare. It was completely different.

It just feels like Rare sort of plopped that out and put all effort into Kameo.

I agree, a very weird game.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Given the 360 titles are simply the NC ones, you wonder if they'll eventually sell all the games in thus collection individually. Id buy Jet Force on its own if given the option.

Games needs a sequel.

well, I got a shipping email from ms store. But it says 3-7 business days, and if I try to track it, it says the number they gave me cannot be found.

daTRUballin

It just feels like Rare sort of plopped that out and put all effort into Kameo.

I agree, a very weird game.

I'm guessing the biggest reason is because the game switched platforms TWICE. From Gamecube to Xbox to Xbox 360. It had a very troubled development.

Xemnas89

I'm guessing the biggest reason is because the game switched platforms TWICE. From Gamecube to Xbox to Xbox 360. It had a very troubled development.

Kameo did too though and it turned out pretty good. Just seems weird that PDZ turned out the way it did. Personally I still enjoyed it though.

Kameo did too though and it turned out pretty good. Just seems weird that PDZ turned out the way it did. Personally I still enjoyed it though.

I thought I was pretty alone in liking Kameo. For me it's one of the best console launch titles I've ever played. The gameplay wasn't shabby and I thought it was a nice visual showpiece for the hardware at the time, and the music was godly.

Xemnas89

I thought I was pretty alone in liking Kameo. For me it's one of the best console launch titles I've ever played. The gameplay wasn't shabby and I thought it was a nice visual showpiece for the hardware at the time, and the music was godly.

Yeah the music was incredible and I thought it was gorgeous at the time. I was looking forward to it ever since the brief clips were shown of the gamecube version back in the day. Seemed almost like a dream come true to finally be able to play it and I soaked every bit of it in.

daTRUballin

Yeah, true. I forgot about that fact. It's probably because PDZ was mostly made by a different team then.

I tend to think at this point that someone's Xbox One is likely to die first, before the entire Microsoft account infrastructure shuts down.

The typical counter example would be the OG Xbox Live, but that service was not tied into the larger Microsoft ecosystem like it is now.

Anyone who ordered from the Microsoft store get their order yet? Or even have it shipped?

Every time I shop from somewhere that's not Amazon, I remember that every store isn't Amazon.

Top Bottom