• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raspberry Pi Gaming thread - Cheap emulation and gaming projects

grendelrt

Hey guys, need some help. How do you overwrite controls for a single emulator? I have tried editing the Retroarch config that is in the /opt/retropie/configs/pcengine folder, but have not had any success.

Basically my controller is set up fine for most systems, but in Pc Engine emulation it is mapping the 2 button to where Y is on the controller and the 1 button to where the B is on the controller. I want to map 2 to where A is on my controller, like a real PC engine controller.

My current config looks like the below and my install is using the Logitech Rumblepad 2 USB cfg file which is correctly set up.

#include "/opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg"
# All settings made here will override the global settings for the current emulator core
input_remapping_directory = /opt/retropie/configs/pcengine/
video_shader = /opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/shader/crt/crt-caligari.glsl
video_shader_enable = true

Figured this out, I will post it in case anyone else needs to fix the same issue. I started the pc engine emulator and went through the in game retropie options and reconfigured teh controls to fix the button. I saved that out as a new configuration, opened it up and copied out the button mapping commands inside that file and then just pasted them into the /configs/pcengine/retroarch.cfg file. So now buttons I and II are in the B and A slots on my controller like a NES/PC Engine controller.

grendelrt

Any tutorials to obtain scanlines on all emulators on Retropie?

You can can add it to the /opt/retropie/config/all/retroarch.cfg file , some emulators dont seem to read this though, MAME and C64 both didnt work. But NES, SNES. GENESIS, PCE, etc picked it up for me.

the pibow cases and coupés are great, just bought a coupé because i want to use the GPIOs as input for an arcade stick i am building at the moment

otherwise i would have gone for the rainbow case

I went with this one, i really like it so far,

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M6G9YBM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

81UPkfIP8iL._SL1500_.jpg

Seik

Banned
I think the best way to do it is to boot up a game and enter the settings menu inside Retroarch. Last time I used Retropie the settings files were scattered all over the place.

What key to I need to hit to make this menu pop up? (Unless you mean F4+bunch of commands I don't know yet.)

Only thing I know after booting a game up is that I can turn it off by pushing Start+Select with my PS3 controller.

You can can add it to the /opt/retropie/config/all/retroarch.cfg file , some emulators dont seem to read this though, MAME and C64 both didnt work. But NES, SNES. GENESIS, PCE, etc picked it up for me.

I tried changing this line (since it's described as inserting a black frame between each pixels, sounds pretty much like scanlines. :p) to 'true' in the file and restarted the Raspberry but that didn't work apparently, do you know which option I need to change?

VaOeicu.png

grendelrt

What key to I need to hit to make this menu pop up? (Unless you mean F4+bunch of commands I don't know yet.)

Only thing I know after booting a game up is that I can turn it off by pushing Start+Select with my PS3 controller.

I tried changing this line (since it's described as inserting a black frame between each pixels, sounds pretty much like scanlines. :p) to 'true' in the file and restarted the Raspberry but that didn't work apparently, do you know which option I need to change?

VaOeicu.png
I am using the shaders for my scanlines, when doing shaders you also have to enable them with a separate statement. I can post a couple examples when I get back home if it helps.

Seik

Banned
I am using the shaders for my scanlines, when doing shaders you also have to enable them with a separate statement. I can post a couple examples when I get back home if it helps.

You would be very awesome to do so, I'm a total newbie with this. D:

JNT

VaOeicu.png

It's on F1 for me.

Seik

Banned
It's on F1 for me.

Alright, so F1 wasn't working for me because my PS3 controller was still linked, now I have access.

I tried plenty of the already present scanline (or CRT) filter presets yet all of them sucks, a lot. I just want black lines dammit! >_<

grendelrt

You would be very awesome to do so, I'm a total newbie with this. D:

You can try shaders, I like this one so far. Just add this to your retroarch.cfg

video_shader = /opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/shader/crt/crt-caligari.glsl
video_shader_enable = true

You can use the same path to look at all the shaders, /opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/shader/

Chinner

Banned
Managed to get that monitor, its pretty sweet, works amazingly well once you change the config.txt and it's nice being able to play all my games on a 4:3 screen, it has a vesa mount, I'm tempted to do what Fredrik did and turn it into a mini arcade machine.

Games work well with its resolution (800x600) and response time is pretty good, only downside that audio out? doesn't seem to be working, not sure, it never stated on the website it could do audio.

Compared to a 9" 16:9 monitor it definetly has an advantage:

Some screnshots:

h1rKhBP.jpg

A82GYvL.jpg

JOnvfK7.jpg

Definitely a nice pick-up for the raspberry pi.

might copy you and get a small monitor at low res, seems like a reasonable move considering the resolution limits

Ok, can anyone tell me if it's possible to emulate TurboGraphx-CD on Retropie and if so, how? The Internet/Google has not been to this question.

grendelrt

Ok, can anyone tell me if it's possible to emulate TurboGraphx-CD on Retropie and if so, how? The Internet/Google has not been to this question.

yes, make sure to put the bios file for System card 3 inside the rom folder where your cd games are located (it needs to be called syscard3.pce or something liek that
). The cue file needs to be correct, spelling is crucial, case matters on the letters. If you go to launch a game and it doesnt work, check the log file to see why it didnt work.

Shaneus

the pibow cases and coupés are great, just bought a coupé because i want to use the GPIOs as input for an arcade stick i am building at the moment
I'm curious how you'd go about this. Not necessarily because I want to do something similar myself (though it could be on the cards depending on it's purpose/functionality) but more out of curiosity.

Rich!

Got my Pi today! All set up, was a bit concerned when Sonic 2 had a terrible framerate but setting the emulators to 720p fixed that.

Incredible shit for £28. Insane. It even runs GBA ridiculously well.

Now for the next stage of my idea...

I did expand the file system. Thanks for the help with states. Out of curiosity is fast forwarding capable?

ALSO: What I've figured out so far in terms of saving a super nintendo game regularly is that after a save you NEED to reset back to the main menu of the retroarch if you want to reload that save after turning off the pi.

Quick googling says fast forward is:

input_toggle_fast_forward

Haven't actually used it though =P

So when your saves weren't being saved, were you unplugging the system while in emulator?

Donuts

Quick googling says fast forward is:

input_toggle_fast_forward

Haven't actually used it though =P

So when your saves weren't being saved, were you unplugging the system while in emulator?

Finally figured out how to get into the in-emulator menu, had to hold back AND press xbox guide button. Will be using that for save states and fast forwarding.

Correct, when i disconnected the pi while the emulator was running the game wouldn't actually save. I'm guessing it doesn't overwrite the .srm file until the emulator properly shuts down.

Rich!

Just cleaned out the case I am going to be using to build my pi SNES:

Just gotta wait for the controlblock to turn up and then I can wire up the controller ports, power switch, led and then add HDMI, USB and LAN sockets to the panel at the back.

Big question is...do I keep the original LED or use a blue one?!

Finally figured out how to get into the in-emulator menu, had to hold back AND press xbox guide button. Will be using that for save states and fast forwarding.

Correct, when i disconnected the pi while the emulator was running the game wouldn't actually save. I'm guessing it doesn't overwrite the .srm file until the emulator properly shuts down.

I see. It's good practice to shut down the os, either through the menu in emulation station or with "sudo shutdown -h now" on the command line before unplugging, otherwise you can corrupt the sd card.

I really want to do this. Seems much more efficient than having all of my retro systems hooked up.

Does any USB power plug work or is there a specific one I should get? Also is there a good wireless retro controller avaliable? I won't be emulating N64 or later so it doesn't need sticks.

I really want to do this. Seems much more efficient than having all of my retro systems hooked up.

Does any USB power plug work or is there a specific one I should get? Also is there a good wireless retro controller avaliable? I won't be emulating N64 or later so it doesn't need sticks.

Any micro USB power cable should work, but to not have to worry about powering USB peripherals (bluetooth or wifi adapter, etc), I'd recommend 5V2A.

I almost got this controller, but it lost out to the DualShock 3, being the same price.

sgjackson

just got a pi 2 and threw recalbox on it to mess around with. anyone have any ideas as to why it takes about 10-15 seconds (like the time it takes for the typing to shift to the parts rundown of x in the mega man x intro) for the controller to be responsive after a snes game loads? once the initial time passes it works fine. using a wired 360 pad.

Metfanant

just got a pi 2 and threw recalbox on it to mess around with. anyone have any ideas as to why it takes about 10-15 seconds (like the time it takes for the typing to shift to the parts rundown of x in the mega man x intro) for the controller to be responsive after a snes game loads? once the initial time passes it works fine. using a wired 360 pad.

I'd love to hear some impressions of N64 performance with recalbox...some videos I've seen had some pretty poor frame rates by the looks of things

RM8

Managed to get that monitor, its pretty sweet, works amazingly well once you change the config.txt and it's nice being able to play all my games on a 4:3 screen, it has a vesa mount, I'm tempted to do what Fredrik did and turn it into a mini arcade machine.

Games work well with its resolution (800x600) and response time is pretty good, only downside that audio out? doesn't seem to be working, not sure, it never stated on the website it could do audio.

Compared to a 9" 16:9 monitor it definetly has an advantage:

Some screnshots:
I need this :0 I kind of want a Raspberry Pi now, lol.

Rich!

gahhh.

Anyone have any idea why my retroarch config files are not being read from the retropie config folder? I change settings in RGUI, they save to the correct cfg file, but when I reboot the game, it loads the defaults.

edit: worked it out! yay

sgjackson

I'd love to hear some impressions of N64 performance with recalbox...some videos I've seen had some pretty poor frame rates by the looks of things

the current install of recalbox has the menu option for n64 but requires hacking a config file to get it to work. i just jumped into a few n64 games and the only one that was remotely playable was super mario 64. star fox 64 was close but had sound issues and was a little framey. everything else was a charitable 10-20 fps, and ocarina of time hard crashed twice. if recalbox's n64 experience is similar to retropie or other rpi2 emulation platforms it's not there yet, but i could see optimized settings/plugins/a new rpi variant making it viable with some games.

apparently ps1 works better, so i'll see how well that works next. i didn't try any super fx snes games or anything but the other systems seemed to have no issues.

as an aside: recalbox apparently has issues with some wi-fi dongles, but the one that comes with the canakit package on amazon works perfectly. installing it onto a 32gb microsd card (i got a samsung evo) was dead simple, was up and running in under ten minutes - all you do is format the sd card to fat32, copy/paste the recalbox files off of github onto the card, push two keys in noobs to install, and it boots into emulationstation. from there you can input your wi-fi info into the menu and recalbox shows up as a network device so you can move roms over easily.

If you can come up with a guide I will put it in the OP. I don't have a Mac hence why I didn't make a Mac Guide.

Installing Retropie is similar to Windows but is just different enough that it may need its on instructions.

I found a great video on how to install. Here it goes:

http://youtu.be/XHEOQIMNgh4

Unfortunately for me, my Pi is not working, likely because the SD card reader isn't working (the green ACT light is a solid green when it's supposed to be flashing if it was reading the card). Another reason why I'm pretty sure the card reader is broken is that the SD card that came with my kit also didn't read. Really sucks after all the organization I did to get everything going. Good thing Amazon has great customer service.

.hacked

q95ZfwLl.jpg

used a raspberry pi b+, old broken snes and recalbox and it works great. Even got led and power switch rigged up. Was lots of fun and some retro gaming in the bed room.

.hacked

did you use the GPIO pins for the led and power switch? just curious

Yes, got some little board thing that I could wire to power switch that would trigger pi to shut down. Took many tires to set up right now it work not messing with it. Led was just a mater of finding the right pin, googled it.

sgjackson

Isn't the Pi kind of worthless now with PC's on a stick?

if you're getting one as a cheap emulator/multimedia box: possibly. i'd have to see benchmarks for one before i got one. the main appeal of the pi is price (the difference between 70 bucks and 110/150 is pretty massive) and the fact i can repurpose it for other crazier projects later.

Metfanant

the current install of recalbox has the menu option for n64 but requires hacking a config file to get it to work. i just jumped into a few n64 games and the only one that was remotely playable was super mario 64. star fox 64 was close but had sound issues and was a little framey. everything else was a charitable 10-20 fps, and ocarina of time hard crashed twice. if recalbox's n64 experience is similar to retropie or other rpi2 emulation platforms it's not there yet, but i could see optimized settings/plugins/a new rpi variant making it viable with some games.

apparently ps1 works better, so i'll see how well that works next. i didn't try any super fx snes games or anything but the other systems seemed to have no issues.

as an aside: recalbox apparently has issues with some wi-fi dongles, but the one that comes with the canakit package on amazon works perfectly. installing it onto a 32gb microsd card (i got a samsung evo) was dead simple, was up and running in under ten minutes - all you do is format the sd card to fat32, copy/paste the recalbox files off of github onto the card, push two keys in noobs to install, and it boots into emulationstation. from there you can input your wi-fi info into the menu and recalbox shows up as a network device so you can move roms over easily.

thanks for the info! i really like the idea of the Pi and running recalbox as an all-in-one emulator solution to play retro games with friends and family when we are hanging out...

but honestly, N64 support is one of the biggest things I would want in a retro solution...thinking maybe waiting for the Pi3 will be my ticket...hopefully it will have the added horsepower to do N64 @ 60fps

Man, that is slick. If I ever get into Pi, I'll be doing that.
I'm only concerned that the pins and the top of the ports are exposed. How hot does the Pi2 run during emulation? Does it need that kind of ventilation? There aren't any moving parts so I don't think that dust would he an issue.

Also, are there any LED indicators for the Pi being powered on and on too of that how do you even turn it on and off?

sgjackson

I'm only concerned that the pins and the top of the ports are exposed. How hot does the Pi2 run during emulation? Does it need that kind of ventilation? There aren't any moving parts so I don't think that dust would he an issue.

Also, are there any LED indicators for the Pi being powered on and on too of that how do you even turn it on and off?

there are leds on the board and you plug it in to turn it on. recalbox has an option to turn it off or reboot it.

if you wanted to be super cool it'd probably be pretty doable to hack up an on/off switch and power led.

there are leds on the board and you plug it in to turn it on. recalbox has an option to turn it off or reboot it.

if you wanted to be super cool it'd probably be pretty doable to hack up an on/off switch and power led.
It seems a burden to have to unplug it to turn it off. How many watts per hour does the Pi2 draw when just at the menu of Retropie or recalbox? Is it safe to leave on 24/7?

Top Bottom