• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raspberry Pi Gaming thread - Cheap emulation and gaming projects

Rich!

Made some progress on my SNES pi today. Added HDMI and Micro USB/power and desoldered the controller board from the ports ready for hooking them up to the control board.

Also got a push switch for the Reset button. Power switch will turn the Pi on/shut it down and the reset button will...uh, I'm not sure yet. Maybe just an extra input for stuff like the retroarch menu...any other ideas? Eject button will be for show, I'm taking the mechanism out and putting the pi in its place.

aycgsd.JPG

Mirk

So my Snes30 came today.

bqohvi.jpg

This thing is LEGIT! I am in love. It feels better them my snes pads. It works both wired and bluetooth. Have tested it out on Wii, Android and Win 7. All have worked flawlessly. The native support for Wii VC is great. You just hold start and Y and the Wii picks it right up.

So my Snes30 came today.

bqohvi.jpg

This thing is LEGIT! I am in love. It feels better them my snes pads. It works both wired and bluetooth. Have tested it out on Wii, Android and Win 7. All have worked flawlessly. The native support for Wii VC is great. You just hold start and Y and the Wii picks it right up.

Ridiculous that I can't buy this in Canada.

Rich!

Almost there now! Just gotta work out how to secure the pi to the case

May have to drill up from the base to secure it, not sure if there's a better way.

Also, the network port will be in the cart slot along with an extra USB socket for any storage or extra controllers. Will have Bluetooth inside for keyboard and controller support.

Rich!

IMG_6805.jpg

You could try heating these up and sticking them in the base or hot gluing them to the base. I think that would work well.

Could work. Worried about melting the plastic casing though...

Hot glue may be the best option, just don't want to destroy the SNES case in the process.

didevol

Just got retropie working on a pi b+.

I am using ps4 controllers, input has a delay(dunno if that can be fixed).

Audio is very choppy on both outputs(hdmi, or analog).

Anyone got fixes for thses?

Rich!

Just got retropie working on a pi b+.

I am using ps4 controllers, input has a delay(dunno if that can be fixed).

Audio is very choppy on both outputs(hdmi, or analog).

Anyone got fixes for thses?

Firstly, set the render and output for each emulator to 720p.

Also, have you overclocked it? Do so.

I have absolutely no audio stuttering or frameskip on any games.

Burai

shitonmychest57
So my Snes30 came today.

bqohvi.jpg

Saturn30 next please 8bitdo!

Card Boy

Banned
Firstly, set the render and output for each emulator to 720p.

Also, have you overclocked it? Do so.

I have absolutely no audio stuttering or frameskip on any games.

Sounds like he has a Pi 1 B Plus, It will have some issues with some SNES games stuttering. Tinkering with settings will reduce but won't eliminate the stuttering, the Pi 2 doesnt have those issues. Having said that not all SNES games have issues on the Pi 1.

Rich!

Sounds like he has a Pi 1 B Plus, It will have some issues with some SNES games stuttering. Tinkering with settings will reduce but won't eliminate the stuttering, the Pi 2 doesnt have those issues. Having said that not all SNES games have issues on the Pi 1.

Ahhh, I have a pi 2. It's absolutely fantastic so far...runs everything I've thrown at it flawlessly.

didevol

Yup, that is correct. I'll take a look at settings.

Ahhh, I have a pi 2. It's absolutely fantastic so far...runs everything I've thrown at it flawlessly.

I have a pi2 b plus coming, I got tired of waiting and picked up this one at frys.

Thanks a lot guys.

Installing Retropie is similar to Windows but is just different enough that it may need its on instructions.

I found a great video on how to install. Here it goes:

http://youtu.be/XHEOQIMNgh4

Unfortunately for me, my Pi is not working, likely because the SD card reader isn't working (the green ACT light is a solid green when it's supposed to be flashing if it was reading the card). Another reason why I'm pretty sure the card reader is broken is that the SD card that came with my kit also didn't read. Really sucks after all the organization I did to get everything going. Good thing Amazon has great customer service.

Has anyone else tried this? I would really like to build one of these, the video is really helpful but it doesn't cover configuring the controllers (assuming it's handled differently using a mac laptop).

Has anyone else tried this? I would really like to build one of these, the video is really helpful but it doesn't cover configuring the controllers (assuming it's handled differently using a mac laptop).

Actually, configuring the controllers is done solely with the Pi, so the steps from the OP or any Retropie setup video apply even for Mac users.

didevol

Actually configuring the controller was the easiest part. I just had the ps4 controller plugged in, and it found it, and asked me to map the controls. That was it.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
So my Snes30 came today.

bqohvi.jpg

Apparently this is 8Bitdo's newest controller:

NES30-PRO-1.jpg

.... I should get it.

Ok, I do have one question that has been buggin me and I hope one of you guys can answer it.

In regards to how to set up Retropie, as you know, you can't just copy the .img into the SD card, you have to "write" it to the SD card.

BUT, the NOOB software, you CAN copy and paste the data into the SD card, after looking at some Youtube videos.

What I don't understand is why couldn't the same method be used on Retropie? If you see what's on the SD card after you write the .img, it looks like the data that's on NOOB. It just seems like, while easy enough if you know what you're doing, Retropie is made harder to install for no reason.

And yes, I want that controller from the last post.....

Shaneus

Need 6 face buttons though. Give me the Saturn 3D pad (or that one but with 6 buttons) and I'll be happy. How are you supposed to play SF2 with that?

Card Boy

Banned
How do the N64 and PS1 games run ?

Have not had an issue running PS1 games and it runs flawlessly BUT I dont how to change discs on multi disc games and can't find the solution on other forums.

N64 games are hit and miss (mostly miss), stuff like Conkers BFD are a visual glitchfest while games like Mario N64 run OK.

Jockel

So my Snes30 came today.

bqohvi.jpg

This better be legit, I just ordered one just because of your raving review. :3

Rich!

Hmmmm

All set up now. Power switch and LED work.

klrvqk.JPG

Controllers are soldered and hooked up correctly...but I can't get any buttons to register. I have a feeling its because I'm using a shitty third party pad from eBay. Will try an official one later.

Mirk

This better be legit, I just ordered one just because of your raving review. :3

Ha! I have been enjoying it alot. Wall jumping in Super Metroid like a pro again. The only weird thing I guess is if it has a red led it means the battery is low. It has been 2 day with it on but still hasn't died. So I don't know if it has great battery life or I have a faultly led lol.

Lettuce

Ordered a SNES30. I wanted the super Famicom version, but can't beat £20.

Will be awesome for my Pi SNES

isnt the snes30 bluetooth though?, thought you'd want to use a wired pad seeing as you've gone to he hassle of wiring the pad ports up?

zip stick

Hmmmm

klrvqk.JPG

Controllers are soldered and hooked up correctly...but I can't get any buttons to register. I have a feeling its because I'm using a shitty third party pad from eBay. Will try an official one later.

Nice WIP.

Can someone help me? I'm trying to copy and paste my ROMs into the Retropie folder (method #1, using a Mac) and it keeps saying that a file is in use...the problem is that the files its claiming are in use were never opened. When it gives me that error, the whole transfer process stops and hangs up, taking forever to restart (only to do it again). Any suggestions?

Can someone help me? I'm trying to copy and paste my ROMs into the Retropie folder (method #1, using a Mac) and it keeps saying that a file is in use...the problem is that the files its claiming are in use were never opened. When it gives me that error, the whole transfer process stops and hangs up, taking forever to restart (only to do it again). Any suggestions?
Disable Spotlight for the Retropie SD card?

shaneskim

Hmmmm

klrvqk.JPG

Any chance of some step by step instructions / parts list please? Been looking to do something like this. :)

Lettuce

Why not have both!

I guess, but i bet you'll end up use the SNES30 95% of the time, if so they the cost and time of hooking up the pad ports would have been for nothing. Do you have it up and running yet, has the n64 emulation improve since a february time?

So my Snes30 came today.

bqohvi.jpg

Damn. Finally wireless SNES controller support for Wii, none of that tethered BS. Where did you get this from?

Edit: how is the quality of the D-pad?

Mirk

Damn. Finally wireless SNES controller support for Wii, none of that tethered BS. Where did you get this from?

Edit: how is the quality of the D-pad?

I bought mine from HERE. Took about 2 weeks to get. I think its as good if not better then my snes pads. Again my pads are 20 years old so that could be why lol.

Rich!

I guess, but i bet you'll end up use the SNES30 95% of the time, if so they the cost and time of hooking up the pad ports would have been for nothing. Do you have it up and running yet, has the n64 emulation improve since a february time?

eh? snes30 pad will be used primarily on my PC and Wii. I would still have the option to use it on my snes pi, but I would use real controllers first and foremost

its all working now anyway, just had to reinstall retropie. yay

Top Bottom