• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reborn (sci-fi action RPG set in Neo-Tokyo) announced for PS3/PS4

Enkidu

$150k as a kickstarter goal is just ridiculous for a game like this, and the fact that the game is only coming out on PS3 and PS4 is also really weird. It makes me wonder whether they are even serious about this game at all. Even if they raise $1.5m or so, that still won't go very far towards the type of game that most people probably expect from the art and description. I guess a Diablo style game with simple graphics could be possible but I doubt that's what most people think of when they hear Action RPG.

Blinck

PSY・S;82818305 said:
wat

and this piece is from 2011

Where did gematsu get the art for the gallery?

Yeah, I also recognize one of the other pictures but I can't remember the artists name.

I don't know what's going on here...maybe they got the license to use the pictures but I find this VERY unlikely...
I think that they might be using art that doesn't belong to them to promote the game, which is absolutely disgusting and illegal.

Blinck

EDIT: Apparently I was wrong and they licensed the images, although I would still like confirmation of this by the artists themselves. In any case my apologies for the outburst!

Ok I knew it... I fucking knew it.

These guys are basically stealing artwork from artists to promote their game.

Besides what I pointed out earlier, here is the best example :

http://cghub.com/images/view/632073/

"FZD "Digital painting 3" in class demo exercise - showing new visual development, working on a basic plate - and turning it, in a production painting>> explaining, the execution of blending techniques, with textures, color correction, brush-work, cinematography and as usual listening nice soundtracks."

This is a work created by a teacher at Feng Zhu Design school for their students, IT WAS NOT CREATED FOR THIS DAMN GAME.

These guys are a fucking scam, and they are stealing art which is one of the most disgusting things you can do.

"FZD "Digital painting 3" in class demo exercise - showing new visual development, working on a basic plate - and turning it, in a production painting>> explaining, the execution of blending techniques, with textures, color correction, brush-work, cinematography and as usual listening nice soundtracks."

This is a work created by a teacher at Feng Zhu Design school for their students, IT WAS NOT CREATED FOR THIS DAMN GAME.

These guys are a fucking scam, and they are stealing art which is one of the most disgusting things you can do.

Damn. This should be it's own thread. At least deserves a title change.

Is there any possibility this could still be a misunderstanding

Salex_

oh-snap.gif

Enkidu

Damn. This should be it's own thread. At least deserves a title change.

Is there any possibility this could still be a misunderstanding
They might clear it all up when their kickstarter goes live, and explain that they have properly licensed the art or something. But that raises the question of why they couldn't just make their own art in the first place, and you still have the absurdly low goal of $150k and the really suspect choice of platforms.

Soriku

Umm...lol. I'll add this to the OP.

Keasar

I thought the 150K goal was a bit ambitious. Oh well, at least the game concept sounded awesome, someone steal that and make an actual game of it.

Edit:

Hold up on the witchhunt.
Elemental-Labs, Inc. ‏@elementallabs 3m
@Mattsta0021 @gematsucom Finnian MacManus is one our teammates on REBORN and you will see him on our kickstarter video. :)

Maybe would have been a good idea to clarify that beforehand.

Elemental-Labs, Inc. ‏@elementallabs 6m
@Mattsta0021 @gematsucom artwork that you see are artworks that we have exclusive rights setup with the respective artists and their pieces.
@Mattsta0021 @gematsucom Finnian MacManus is one our teammates on REBORN and you will see him on our kickstarter video. :)

Durante

Something did smell fishy without an PC version :p
It is perhaps the most cheapest version to develop for.
I was just joking, but I do find it very strange not to make a PC version of a crowdfunded project.

However, the crowdfunding goal is very small, so perhaps the rest of the development budget comes with some restrictions.

Blinck

Fair enough if they bought the rights to the images, although this is strange since you usually hire the artists to make art for the actual game instead of buying images that were made for something else.

But if what they are telling is true, then fair enough, and sorry for my outburst, but as an illustrator/concept artist myself I usually flip over stuff like this.

Keasar

Yeah they mention one of the artists by name. They also have some 'concept' shots of what multiplayer is supposed to be like. Not that they mentioned multiplayer anywhere in that original press release.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BUl65luCcAAfTMM.jpg:large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BUl6TB-CIAAxhch.jpg:large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BUl6DDLCEAAcSEi.jpg:large

Did they make any mention about when the kickstarter begins?

They wanna achieve that with 150K? Well, this could be interesting to see how this turns out.

EVIL

Fair enough if they bought the rights to the images, although this is strange since you usually hire the artists to make art for the actual game instead of buying images that were made for something else.

But if what they are telling is true, then fair enough, and sorry for my outburst, but as an illustrator/concept artist myself I usually flip over stuff like this.

Same here, unfortunately it happens all to often, this wouldn't be the first time art has been used without permission for kickstarter projects. But this explains why their art style has been all over the place.

I will withhold judgement until I actually see some game play but Its often easy to fall in love with concept art and I think people are usually blinded by such things. They see a nice concept art piece and hear the words cyberpunk, and PS3/4 game and are on board, without seeing proof that they can deliver.

Got to say that the 3d art I am seeing isn't making me hold my breath in anticipation, it looks pretty amateurish.

edit, also, their website: http://www.elemental-labs.com/

I was just joking, but I do find it very strange not to make a PC version of a crowdfunded project.

However, the crowdfunding goal is very small, so perhaps the rest of the development budget comes with some restrictions.

Somehow i have a feeling this is just a way to scope interest and get money to finance an pitch for financiers.

My gut tells me they will pull an double fine and need multiple extra rounds of kick starter.
Maybe they are further along with the project then i get the impression off they idea sounds good maybe pitch it to sony given how they are only developing for ps3/4

Seanspeed

Banned
Interesting.

Budget seems a little low if that concept art is supposed to be anything like what the game is supposed to look like.

And when I say 'a little', I mean 'hopelessly and unrealistically'.

I was about to say that I liked the location art direction but the character art is terrible. Whether it's the confused bishi/bodybuilder or the 'cyber-bikini and augmented high-heels' female.

Read the last page of this thread and understood why.

Also, no way is this a 150K kickstarter game if they want everything they say they'll do , AND multiplayer.

A shame, since I like me some cyberpunk.

jett

D-Member
This seems sketchy to say the least. They'll never be able to make the game they pretend they're going to make with $150k.

element

Something really fish about all this.

The $150,000 is nothing in terms of budget.
They are talking multiplayer on twitter.
All their editor screens are in UE3, but they are saying they are prototyping in UE4.

Something isn't right.

Kadayi

Banned
Just looks a bit odd. I never really get the female head on a male body art direction.

Yeah the heads completely out of proportion with the body. It's like they've stuck as 12 year olds head onto a male body builder.

WTF..stealing the CA...Fuck these guys...

They fucking STOLE the art???

edit: Holy shit at their website. This looks like suspicious.

Yeah the heads completely out of proportion with the body. It's like they've stuck as 12 year olds head onto a male body builder.

WTF..stealing the CA...Fuck these guys...

I gather you guys didn't read all the posts on this page. They didn't steal the art. Those artists are working for them and the art is licensed.

So this is interesting, I got a Deus Ex Human Revolution vibe from it, which is pretty cool, I like how it is based around Japan and takes from its culture, I love diversity, I'll keep my eye on it, I need to see how the gameplay will be like.

As for the low budget, maybe they are already funded by someone but need more ?!, I mean it is a possibility right ?!

So this is interesting, I got a Deus Ex Human Revolution vibe from it, which is pretty cool, I like how it is based around Japan and takes from its culture, I love diversity, I'll keep my eye on it, I need to see how the gameplay will be like.

As for the low budget, maybe they are already funded by someone but need more ?!, I mean it is a possibility right ?!

That's what I was thinking, they may just need extra funding to get over the finishing line. People should just wait until their KS page is up instead of jumping to conclusions. Been enough of that already.

That's what I was thinking, they may just need extra funding to get over the finishing line. People should just wait until their KS page is up instead of jumping to conclusions. Been enough of that already.

Totally agree, the game could also end up being episodic, lot's of possibilities.

Yeah they mention one of the artists by name. They also have some 'concept' shots of what multiplayer is supposed to be like. Not that they mentioned multiplayer anywhere in that original press release.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BUl65luCcAAfTMM.jpg:large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BUl6TB-CIAAxhch.jpg:large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BUl6DDLCEAAcSEi.jpg:large

Did they make any mention about when the kickstarter begins?

This is probably a stretch goal for KS, maybe if they reach 2.5millions or something.

image.php
More shitty character designs with little to no originality. Yo, get hype for mediocrity.

Yeah, these character designs are downright disturbing. The anime heads are out of proportion and juxtaposed with western-style (Epic's Gears of War-like) bodies. What the hell is going on there? It actually makes me sick to my stomach.

bbyybb

CGI bullshit is the death knell of cinema
Hell. Yes.

Edit: Ouch... just saw the posts above about the stolen art... :(

Keep reading the thread, as per Kenshin001's post

Elemental-Labs, Inc. ‏@elementallabs 6m
@Mattsta0021 @gematsucom artwork that you see are artworks that we have exclusive rights setup with the respective artists and their pieces.

Man, this is disgusting. Those jackasses get no support from me for their scummy tactics.

Edit:

Ooops. I'll lay down my pitch fork.

Top Bottom