• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recommend me a new mouse, Neogaf. Pretty please?

dity

So, my mouse just died. It's a Microsoft Wireless Mouse from like 5 years ago. Runs on a single AA, no fancy features or anything like that.

So I basically have no idea what I should be looking for these days. What brands to go for, which ones to avoid, what features are just fluff and what ones really help.

I do game on my PC so I figure I should probably get a mouse that's a bit higher performance than my last. My tower's right next to my desk so it doesn't necessarily need to be wireless.

So, can gaming gaf recommend me some mice they use? I've really got no idea where to start.

yami4ct

I use a Razer Deathadder. The design has been around forever, so you can get them fairly cheap if you look around or buy refurb. Comfortable as hell and has all the buttons I need. One of the best mice I've used.

I bought the Chroma version, because I'm a dummy who likes silly lights. If you don't want the extra layer of customizable LED colors, the original is the exact same thing, but cheaper.

I used the exact same mouse that you posted OP until I bought the Logitech G 502 it's simply amazing

images

NIN90

A lot of this comes down to preference and you won't know if you actually gel with the mouse until you are holding it in your hand.

That being sad, I personally recommend the Zowie FK1 but it's a bit pricey.
Steelseries mice like the Sensei provide good bang for the buck but I personally disliked my Sensei greatly, especially because it tended to skip when doing fast movements.
Razer DeathAdder has an amazing form factor (since it uses the clsssic IME blueprint) but build quality can be a concern.

NightStalkerCB

Neo Member
I currently use the Mad Catz M.M.O. 7 mouse. I know some people dont like the Mad Catz brand but this mouse has been great for me. Currently playing the Division and i have almost everything programmed to the buttons on the mouse.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I have a Gigabyte M6900 and it suits me just fine. Don't see any reason to buy a more expensive mouse. I'm happy with it. Cost me £16/$25 from Amazon. Feels big, solid, and comfortable.

41Ptq-6OBEL.jpg

-Opaque-

This guy does great mouse reviews: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGJaDZC7PChgd-XMwcbZkiw
Most helpful videos for you would probably be guide for choosing a mouse and his top 5 mice
Never seen someone go more in depth on gaming mice.

Personally I've had a Logitech G500 for ages now and I had a G5 for even longer, I like the shape. I've been tempted to try switching it up a bit and try the Zowie EC2, but the always glowing scroll wheel would drive me insane.

CMDBob

You have to get the Logitech G502 like everyone's said. It's an AMAZING mouse. (I actually got mine free, when my old G500 broke. Great stuff from Logitech, was just in it's 3 year warranty. I do miss the G500 at times, but the G502 is better.)

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I'm using a Razer Naga and Logitech Hyperion in tandem, much much MUCH prefer the Logitech for anything apart from MMOs.

dity

Looks like my local shop stocks the Logitech G502 Proteus Core and the Steelseries Rival. I think I might get one of those, since they're both under $100.

CMDBob

One extra bonus for the G502 is that it has a 3 year warranty, compared to the Rival's 1 year. (The Logitech 3 year warranty is great, they're pretty flexible, sent me a G502 to replace my dead G500.)

I basically want a no-nonsense, good quality mouse. Wireless, forward/backward button for my thumbs (that can be mapped in games as usual), scroll wheel that clicks for middle mouse button, good sensors.

I grabbed a Logitech MX Master, thinking it was gonna be great, forgot to check the side of it carefully. The scroll wheel forces the forward/back buttons into awkward spots, so that precisely clicking one or the other can be challenging under pressure. They're sandwiched on top of each other, yuck.

Recently I picked up a second mouse, the MX Anywhere 2, for my laptop thinking it would replace my desktop too if it was good enough. In theory it was perfect, the same as the master but a bit smaller, and without the side-scroll wheel taking up room, meaning it had regular forward / back buttons. But the crazy thing was it turns out the middle mouse button on it... doesn't exist. Instead the middle click controls the free scroll vs graduated scroll modes of the wheel, and instead if you want a middle click you need to assign the stupid button half an unch below the wheel to middle click.

Two mice that were almost perfect, let down by one fucking annoying thing. Jesus logitech you had it perfect pretty much a decade ago why you gotta keep doings tuff like this to me D: Thank god I got good prices for both mice.

tahsutify

G502 is great apart from that mouse feet are peeling of. Mine started to peel off a week after I started using it and now they are in pretty bad shape. Quick Google search shows that I am not alone in this (and why would I be).

ıF you get a 502 get a few replacement stickers.

Hypron

I used the exact same mouse that you posted OP until I bought the Logitech G 502 it's simply amazing

images

Yeah, it's an absolutely great mouse. I just wish it looked a little bit less "gamer". I prefer my stuff to look soberer.

Tbh I can't live without the Logitech free-spinning wheel, it's so practical.

rugioh

Banned
If you primarily play shooters do not get a G502. I would recommend either of the following

Steelseries Rival 300
Zowie EC1-A/2A (depending on hand size)
Finalmouse Tournament Pro

Ulysses 31

G502 is great apart from that mouse feet are peeling of. Mine started to peel off a week after I started using it and now they are in pretty bad shape. Quick Google search shows that I am not alone in this (and why would I be).

ıF you get a 502 get a few replacement stickers.

Didn't Logi address that with the Proteus Spectrum?

Stasis

Mionix Naos
Roccat Tyon
Logitech G502

My fave for all around. There are some better options designed specifically for shooters, MMOs, etc. Can't go wrong with the above three though. Obviously check reviews and/or feel in person as different hand size/grip will affect enjoyment.

eso76

I have a Gigabyte M6900 and it suits me just fine. Don't see any reason to buy a more expensive mouse. I'm happy with it. Cost me £16/$25 from Amazon. Feels big, solid, and comfortable.

41Ptq-6OBEL.jpg

Got a Gigabyte M6880 and while it's decent its plastic gets sticky and unpleasant with the slightiest hand sweating, something that didn't happen with the logitech or with the microsoft mouses i used before, it's been a while since my last sticky mouse in fact.

Once you used a wireless mouse, it's hard to go back to wired.

I've used Logitech G602 for years and love it. You can switch to "performance" mode for gaming and even in this mode the battery life can last for 1-2 months.

DriftedPlanet

Unconfirmed Member
This guy does great mouse reviews: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGJaDZC7PChgd-XMwcbZkiw
Most helpful videos for you would probably be guide for choosing a mouse and his top 5 mice
Never seen someone go more in depth on gaming mice.

Personally I've had a Logitech G500 for ages now and I had a G5 for even longer, I like the shape. I've been tempted to try switching it up a bit and try the Zowie EC2, but the always glowing scroll wheel would drive me insane.

The Mionix Avior/Naos 7000 and the castor are all amazing mice you should look into

All the recommendations in this thread seen pretty solid to me. Personally I have a Razer deathadder 2013, a Logitech g500, and a Mionix Naos 7000. All three are really solid. All three work and have good sensors. So, if all three work, why do I have three? Hunting for the perfect grip.

The deathadder feels pretty small if your hands are larger and it best suits a claw grip. The g500 was an upgrade in size and comfort with the palm grip, but my ring and pinky fingers hung off the right side with no support; they would ache after a few hours of play. Around this time I started looking into mice for the third time, and, like when I realized that Siberia v2 headphones are small and that I have a larger head/ears, I started searching for large-hand friendly mice. The Mionix Naos 7000 is that mouse. The 8200 by accounts online has an inferior sensor, but both have the really comfortable larger palm grip surface and the Naos design gives support to your ring finger and pinky. If your fingers are looking as well the very tops of them might occasionally make contact with your mousepad, but it's very comfortable and allows swapping mouse profiles on the mouse just like the g500.

I wrote more than I expected so I'll summarize:
  • if you have large hands, Mionix Naos 7000
  • if you clutch your mouse with your finger tips and feel comfortable doing so, the Razer deathadder is a decent option
  • if you prefer to move the mouse while gripping it with your palm and while hand, the Logitech g500 is a very solid option
While I haven't used the other mice listed in this thread, I have heard good things about the Logitech g502 Proteus core, Logitech g400s, and zowie in general.

Hopefully I've been of help, and best of luck with your decision OP (and others).

Viewtiful

I'm going to echo a few of the above posts and recommend a G502. Best mouse I have ever used. The only reasons you might not want it is if you need more buttons for MMOs or want a wireless mouse.

b0bbyJ03

Someone on gaf recommended that I get the Steel series Rival 2 years ago and I'm going to do u a favor and pass that on. It's the best mouse ive ever used. Wish it was cooler looking but I'd take the performance it offers over anything out there for the price

Matthew23

but my ring and pinky fingers hung off the right side with no support; they would ache after a few hours of play. Around this time I started looking into mice for the third time, and, like when I realized that Siberia v2 headphones are small and that I have a larger head/ears, I started searching for large-hand friendly nice. The Mionix Naos 7000 is that mouse. The 8200 by accounts online has an inferior sensor, but both have the really comfortable larger palm grip surface and the Naos design gives support to your ring finger and pinky.

I had the exact same experience. I had been using Logitech gaming mice for years, which I really liked, but one day my pinky and ring fingers started to get sore. Nothing helped. I even took a week off gaming hoping it was just an injury that needed time to heal but that didn't work either. I could game for 1 to 2 hours max before the pain was too much to deal with.

I eventually picked up the Mionix Naos 7000 after reading how comfortable it was. The moment I used it for the first time I knew it was the solution to my problem. Most comfortable mouse ever. I can't imagine going back to anything that doesn't have the extra finger support. I am somewhat troubled by this since no other companies seem to have adopted a similar design. Here's hoping Mionix doesn't go out of business.

PaulLFC

Yeah, it's an absolutely great mouse. I just wish it looked a little bit less "gamer". I prefer my stuff to look soberer.

Tbh I can't live without the Logitech free-spinning wheel, it's so practical.
Same, it's an amazing feature. Bought the G502 based on lots of recommendations here and elsewhere, and I'm glad I did. Amazing mouse, very comfortable and quick scroll is so good that it's one of those features I get annoyed that other mice I use don't have.

Top Bottom